• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I dive into Sakura, the more I realize that she is godlike. If a good Sakura player (me) hits you with a deep jump roundhouse, a majority of characters can say good-bye to about half of her life.
j.RH > st.forward xx lk tatsu > st.fierce xx lk tatsu > cr.fierce xx EX DP does 424 damage. That's so godlike.
I also did a training mode combo that had 12 one-framers with Sakura, and only did about 500 damage and full super. :(

I also find it funny that st.forward xx lk tatsu really isn't a cancel.

And Fuerte is the king of suck.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Panda: Remember to do multiplication on each hit of damage then always round up. If you just work with total move damage then your calculation may be off.

V_Arnold

MarkMan said:
I actually enjoy doing commentary but I feel Jay (Viscant) and someone else should. I've done commentary for TEKKEN before in the past. I should try it for some games of SSFIV lol. I'm just afraid I'll be like... "You know what, screw this game..."

haha

Well, SSFIV is a very rewarding game to comment, things are much more simplified to the outside viewer than in games like Tekken. I still think SF has just as much or more depth, but it is not about combo paths and juggling, but something else.

29392_540.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
prodystopian said:
http://9gag.com/photo/29392_540.jpg[IMG]

From: [URL="http://9gag.com/gag/29392"]http://9gag.com/gag/29392[/URL][/QUOTE]
Oh god yes, I would so fucking buy that game for a high price.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Adventures in frame data:

The second hit of Juri's lk senpusha has juggle potential, but nothing else with non-EX senpusha does.

The reason why lk senpusha can look like it's -8 on block is because the second hit whiffs on crouching opponents. It's -4 only if the second hit makes contact.

Juri's dodges have special cancel windows that allow her to do a normal, special, or dash sooner than recovery would otherwise allow. Towards cancels after 21 frames(normal recovery is 29), backwards after 16(normally 28), and upwards after 9 until she lands(note that she's first airborne on the 8th frame). Also note that if you were to focus, her backdash is 27 frames.

hitsugi

that artwork is awesome, and thanks for the heads up on saving the full sized image. i'm sure that would have been a surprise D:

Hitokage said:
Adventures in frame data:

The second hit of Juri's lk senpusha has juggle potential, but nothing else with non-EX senpusha does.

The reason why lk senpusha can look like it's -8 on block is because the second hit whiffs on crouching opponents. It's -4 only if the second hit makes contact.

Juri's dodges have special cancel windows that allow her to do a normal, special, or dash sooner than recovery would otherwise allow. Towards cancels after 21 frames(normal recovery is 29), backwards after 16(normally 28), and upwards after 9 until she lands(note that she's first airborne on the 8th frame). Also note that if you were to focus, her backdash is 27 frames.

Thats wonky considering lk sempusha doesnt knock down and from the air its almost impossible to make the 2nd hit be the one to hit (if you do sempusha to AA if the first hit doesnt hit you get hit.

Considering everyone crouches anyway its best to just not do it. (even -4 is too much since sweeps are fast enough and far enough to punish it for most characters.)

The dodges do have weird cancel spots but trying to take advantage of them can get you hit as most people on reaction try to attack her as she teleports.

no comment on focus backdash.

I need to retake this shot without flash and frame it.

gMyku.jpg

This might be the most dramatic moment to happen to my Dudley.

By the way, I passed the 1000 fight milestone while I fought you :D

So I've used Guile for two days now and I don't know what to think. I mean, it's sooo much easier to get wins with him compared to Dudley. Especially against random scrubs. Everything you do with Dudley has high risk, Guile is the complete opposite. Maybe he is a little less fun to use, but it's nice to be more safe against shitty players. Dudley seriously deserves a little buff in a sequel.

Guiles aa is ridiculous and the airthrow is godlike against scrubs :D

Dudley doesn't need a lot.

f+FP should cancel into ducking like 3s
Ducking should be slightly faster/recover faster in general so you can do useful crossunders
Thunderbolt should go full screen and be a motion like reverse srk+k

That's about it. Nothing you do with him will make the Guile/Dhalsim matchup any easier(unless you gave him some magic EX ducking or something), but these would make him a more well-rounded character.

Do we have footage from yesterday's turneys?

God's Beard said:
Dudley doesn't need a lot.

f+FP should cancel into ducking like 3s
Ducking should be slightly faster/recover faster in general so you can do useful crossunders
Thunderbolt should go full screen and be a motion like reverse srk+k

That's about it. Nothing you do with him will make the Guile/Dhalsim matchup any easier(unless you gave him some magic EX ducking or something), but these would make him a more well-rounded character.

- Make his uppercut on par with Ryu/Ken
- Improve crouching fierce
- Improve range for Rolling Thunder

knee

Question about online:

On PSN, I get a lot of people who jump kick and follow immediately w/ a throw.

Is there any room to break this attack? It seems to work whether I get hit or block.

I'm sure I can jab out of it offline, but is there an online solution?

knee said:
Question about online:

On PSN, I get a lot of people who jump kick and follow immediately w/ a throw.

Is there any room to break this attack? It seems to work whether I get hit or block.

Who are you using?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AkumaHokoru said:
Thats wonky considering lk sempusha doesnt knock down and from the air its almost impossible to make the 2nd hit be the one to hit (if you do sempusha to AA if the first hit doesnt hit you get hit.
Rather, juggle potential as in being able to hit a person in a limited juggle state as opposed to the free juggle state that j MP gives you. Basically, you can ex dive kick to lk sempusha for a little more damage without burning more meter than you already have.

Considering everyone crouches anyway its best to just not do it. (even -4 is too much since sweeps are fast enough and far enough to punish it for most characters.)
From a quick look, the fastest low roundhouses in the game belong to Ryu and Gen, and they start in 5 frames.

The dodges do have weird cancel spots but trying to take advantage of them can get you hit as most people on reaction try to attack her as she teleports.

no comment on focus backdash.
Well, I was thinking what use there could be for having such a quick window on the backwards dodge, and apparently if you're intent on doing something after using armor to evade a hit, using dodge could get you there sooner. What makes it interesting is that backwards dodge is strike and fireball invulnerable until the 17th frame, but you can cancel on the 16th.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Throw them back at the same time and you'll cancel it.

Everywhere I go, when I notice it, I see those numbers.

Hitokage said:
Rather, juggle potential as in being able to hit a person in a limited juggle state as opposed to the free juggle state that j MP gives you. Basically, you can ex dive kick to lk sempusha for a little more damage without burning more meter than you already have.

From a quick look, the fastest low roundhouses in the game belong to Ryu and Gen, and they start in 5 frames.

Well, I was thinking what use there could be for having such a quick window on the backwards dodge, and apparently if you're intent on doing something after using armor to evade a hit, using dodge could get you there sooner. What makes it interesting is that backwards dodge is strike and fireball invulnerable until the 17th frame, but you can cancel on the 16th.

1. Yeah but if you are gonna lk sempusha you may as well just ultra. besides juri builds meter fast so why bother with lk sempusha unless you hit a ex dive really early (which almost never happens)

2. dependant on when they do the sweep remember you can hit her out of sempusha with sweeps clean with alot of characters it has no invul to normals.

3. The problem with this is you cant read frames to take advantage of this properly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AkumaHokoru said:
The problem with this is you cant read frames to take advantage of this properly.
Oh, I know. I'm just going over the fine print details on these moves to see if anything is interesting, even they turn out to not actually be usable.

Like, I've been testing instant air dive kicks out of upwards dodge, but the startup on non-ex dodge really sucks against a fireball in the range you need to be(but hey, if it's telegraphed it works as a punish, lulz), and the way ex dodge works makes instant air diving extremely difficult.

Hitokage said:
Oh, I know. I'm just going over the fine print details on these moves to see if anything is interesting, even they turn out to not actually be usable.

Like, I've been testing instant air dive kicks out of upwards dodge, but the startup on non-ex dodge really sucks against a fireball in the range you need to be(but hey, if it's telegraphed it works as a punish, lulz), and the way ex dodge works makes instant air diving extremely difficult.
You shouldnt dive off a up dodge. Doing a netural roundhouse ALWAYS gets me a nice meaty combo a knockdown and push toward the corner. The 3 things juri wants most.

Instadive is completely useless

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Speaking of useless, after Chun's third headstomp her jumping roundhouse becomes the neutral jump version even during a forward jump, but it's not like it does anything.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hitokage said:
Speaking of useless, after Chun's third headstomp her jumping roundhouse becomes the neutral jump version even during a forward jump, but it's not like it does anything.

:lol :lol

cHaotix8

Rolling thunder is fine. The only buffs Dudley really needs is a little invincibility on his DP's so he can at least trade, and more range on his shitacular normals. I am forced to jump in on a lot of people just because I can't play footsies against them with my crappy attack range. Thunderbolt will always suck, I'm afraid.

AZ Greg said:
GGs.

I liked the "Fuck it, I ain't gonna put up with mix-ups!" mentality. :lol I think you woke up with a headbutt/uppercut in 90% of those situations.

I was getting careless in the end. I really need to stop chasing people when I'm winning. Also, that crouching normal of Dudley's that stuffs izuna drops/2 hit claw slashs is a pain in the ass. :(

Haha, I think my reflexes were pretty shot last night. When ever I tried to tech or block on reaction, I got grabbed/short combo'd into wall dive, and whenever I tried to punish with DP on wake up I got baited. I think I've almost got this match up down now though.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh.... motherfucking 360 pad is doing my head in.

How is the madcatz pad compared to the sega saturn USB pad? I used to play on the latter on SF4 PS3, but since my PS3 broke I've been playing on xbox and I don't have any sort of proper input device so I'm using the stock controller. Lately though I've been struggling like all hell because it's so difficult to stay on top of my spacing while making sure that my inputs register.

I don't think I have enough money to import a heavy-ass stick so my best bet is to spring for a madcatz pad, no?

gutter_trash said:
Sakura ruins this picture

Hell no, Sakura makes the picture better. The only problem is that the boots look awesome on her and make me wish she had a costume with them normally.

Brobzoid said:

How is the madcatz pad compared to the sega saturn USB pad? I used to play on the latter on SF4 PS3, but since my PS3 broke I've been playing on xbox and I don't have any sort of proper input device so I'm using the stock controller. Lately though I've been struggling like all hell because it's so difficult to stay on top of my spacing while making sure that my inputs register.

I don't think I have enough money to import a heavy-ass stick so my best bet is to spring for a madcatz pad, no?

Where do you live that you have to import a stick? I'm willing ot bet you could find one for about the same price as a mad catz pad. That and if you need a cheap pad Hori makes a fight commander ex turbo for $35 or so.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
dragonballjoseph said:
The more I dive into Sakura, the more I realize that she is godlike. If a good Sakura player (me) hits you with a deep jump roundhouse, a majority of characters can say good-bye to about half of her life.
j.RH > st.forward xx lk tatsu > st.fierce xx lk tatsu > cr.fierce xx EX DP does 424 damage. That's so godlike.
I always approach sakura by way of universal practicality, so extra links and character specific combos for an extra 16 damage make me fidgety. :p

but if you can pull it off, why not.

I also did a training mode combo that had 12 one-framers with Sakura, and only did about 500 damage and full super. :(
best i've done is nine fierce punch links in one combo. :lol it was my 'okay, i've got this cr.fierce stuff down now' test.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
hikarutilmitt said:
Where do you live that you have to import a stick? I'm willing ot bet you could find one for about the same price as a mad catz pad. That and if you need a cheap pad Hori makes a fight commander ex turbo for $35 or so.
I live in Norway. The only stick I have access to through local stores is the Tekken 6 one. If there are multiple tekken 6 sticks, it's probably the cheapest one.

vg260

Brobzoid said:
How is the madcatz pad compared to the sega saturn USB pad? I

The buttons on the madcatz pad are awesome, big, light action, easy to quickly tap LP+LK for throws, and MP+MK for focus, and to hit two at once for EX moves. I like them better than the Saturn pad. Shoulder buttons are bigger and clicky, and work well.

The d-pad is ok at best. It's really loose/floaty so it's really easy to do circle moves, but it's really pretty sloppy as a result. It seems to work ok for SFIV because the game is pretty lenient with inputs, but I had a terrible time with it when I tried to use it for older fighters. Outside of SFIV I doesn't feel precise, and felt like I was missing moves that should be hitting. Those were for older Capcom games, it wasn't as bad for Blazblue. It doesn't lend itself well to charge characters because it's so big and there's a lot of travel . Saturn one is much better.

Madcatz pad with a Saturn's d-pad would be perfect.

I've converted to a stick, but was a pad fan for years. If you really, really, cant save up for a stick, it's better than the 360 pad for sure.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Lost Fragment said:
As long as we're talking about character quirks:

-Makoto's f+hk puts her opponent in a juggle state when used as aa, but you have to hit them so low to the ground that she can't juggle with anything.

-Meaty cr.lk into ultra lol

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u4Q70BJjH8

edit: Oh, and crossup U2. That one's actually somewhat useful though.

i knew this, but not from AA situations but from f.HK-ing after back dashing an FA crumple. f.HK usually hits em in that "air" state of the FA crumple. yea no follow ups

And 90% her f.FP (3 punches) hit Dudley only twice

Brobzoid said:

I've got one and I went from liking it to not liking it within a few hours. The buttons are alright, but they're a little too large for my taste. I found it easier to hit combos with the 360 controller's face buttons and found EX moves easier with the pad. Shoulder buttons work decent enough.

The d-pad is what pisses me off. Hitting the diagonals is a pain in the ass and won't register correctly sometimes unless you press really hard and hit it exactly in the diagonal spot so no light presses. Even then, sometimes it wouldn't register. This means plenty of missed dragon punches and screwed up links. I've heard about the first batch of pads being defective so maybe I've just got a shitty one.

That's one of my problems right now too, finding a decent pad or stick and I'm not going back online until I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom