• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yo, who wants to face my new TimeChun a little later after I finish beating off and then making some scalloped potatoes???

Dartastic

Timedog said:
Yo, who wants to face my new TimeChun a little later after I finish beating off and then making some scalloped potatoes???
UH, I'MA GET DINNER THEN DO SOME STUDYING BUT WE'LL HAVE A CHUN OFF

UNH UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ

hitsugi

~Devil Trigger~ said:
But....but....Desora!!!

kidding, im posting this vid just reinforce how shitty the Guy vs Gouken match up is.

you mean how shitty Desora played..? cause i've never seen him just press jab, short, etc. without connecting a damn thing

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Shoutouts to Maj for putting my vid up on combovids. :D

And Art for finally wearing my jacket.

I'll try to be more on point with my capturing. I missed capturing a lot of good and not your typical stuff the last couple of sessions I've had.

Imm0rt4l

Dartastic said:
That Gouken maneuver w/the EX tatsu was sick. :lol
crossup tatsu is pretty useful if you can pull it off. I wish it were easy as a tkcs, but the input is pretty stringent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_lEN9B4i4

hitsugi said:
you mean how shitty Desora played..? cause i've never seen him just press jab, short, etc. without connecting a damn thing

to his credit that guy player is sick, plus gouken is relegated to blocking a lot in that matchup. Pressing jab up close isn't really much of an option, not that gouken has any links anyways.

hitsugi

I know Kiryu is THE Guy player, but even Desora's back throw opportunity wasn't utilized well. Just seemed like a bad game for him.

kitzkozan

Taken from the SRK forums:

-Guile-

[Unique Attacks]
In Reverse Spin Kick, we deleted his hurtbox from his knee and below during the first few frames after starting up, and we reduced its damage.
With this adjustment, it's possible to make attacks like Ryu's cr.MK whiff and hit them out.
We reduced Spinning Back Knuckle's damage.

[Specials]
Sonic Boom's meter gain at start-up is halved,
and we adjusted his meter gaining rate through the match.
LK/MK/HK Flash Kicks are nerfed in damage.

[Ultra]
Sonic Hurricane's damage is nerfed, and start-up got a bit slower.

[Overall]
Damage nerf is applied to specials and ultra, so we can say his damage is reduced throughout.
He will require more attacks to finish off opponents.
There are almost no changes to his frame data, so in AE he can do everything that he can already do.

-Seth-

[Normals]
His forward j.HP's number of active frames is doubled, so it's easier to hit in jump-in situations.
Far st.MK's active frame is lengthened a little, and his hurtbox during when he extends his leg is horizontally reduced,
so it will function better as a poking tool.
Close st.MP's start-up got faster and the total duration of the move is reduced as a result, plus frame advantage on hit is increased, so it got significantly buffed.
cr.HP's start-up got faster,
and cr.MK has slightly more active frames.
Neutral j.HP and back j.HP's motion is changed to forward j.HP's.

[Unique Attacks]
His Dive Kick's hitstun + blockstun is decreased, so it's slightly harder to use the move as an offense tool.
All three Head Stomp's active frames are reduced.
Timing to hit all three of them is changed.

[Specials]
Sonic Boom's recovery is reduced by 1f, and EX Sonic Boom's recovery is reduced by 3f.
Normals -> Sonic Boom (EX Sonic Boom) -> FADC -> follow-up combo is pretty powerful.
His lightning kicks deal more damage and less stun.

[Super]
Super's invincibility is lengthened, and "the pursuit priority is increased" (<- I think they mean that it connects more number of times on airborne opponents)

[Ultra]
U2's recovery got shortened.
Full invincibility is changed to 12f,
and after that he is invincible to projectiles only until the end of active frames.
U1 deals more damage and has longer recovery.

[Others]
Life increased to 800, stun increased to 900.

[Overall]
The changes on SSF4 AE happened only where they affect the way he is played.
He looks weakened in the first glance, but he also got strengthened in various points,
so please research his playstyle in SSF4 AE.

vg260

Wow. Worst case scenario for Guile. Nerfs all over. Seems a bit extreme. Was his damage really that out of whack? Looking for an objective answer, btw.

Mained him in Vanilla, so I guess it was fun while it lasted in Super.

kitzkozan

2&2 said:
Wow. Worst case scenario for Guile. Nerfs all over. Seems a bit extreme. Was his damage really that out of whack? Looking for an objective answer, btw.

Guile will be fine,just losing his top tier rank. :p To be quite honest,I'm sure that it's not really a bad thing for the game to see most of the dominant charge character getting nerfed.Offense is far sexier than defense,even if both are just as important and effective. :D

2&2 said:

Depends how much they nerfed his damage, but the Hurricane nerf hurts too. Makes it harder to use as FB punish or on FADC's I would assume.

He had trouble finishing people in Vanilla IMO because he couldn't do damage, maybe that problem is coming back :lol

Depending on how close he has to be to get Reverse Spin Kick, it could be good or useless for footsies.

I really didn't see why Guile was such a big problem though. FK sucks, did it need a damage nerf? SH only did 420 maxed out, his normals did pretty standard damage. Not seeing eye to eye with his changes. Oh well.

He was so free on wakeup, I didn't mind him being a wall of sorts. He can't do anything up close. His vulnerable hitbox wasn't insanely stupid either. I don't get it.

Overall, he'll be fine but he probably isn't going to be as nightmarish for some people as he was before.

jman2050

2&2 said:

Guile still has all the stupid bullshit he has in Super so the only difference is that he'll need to maintain all that stupid bullshit for a while longer to win matches. Sounds like a fair tradeoff to me.

kitzkozan said:
Taken from the SRK forums:

-Guile-

We reduced Spinning Back Knuckle's damage.

Sonic Boom's meter gain at start-up is halved,
and we adjusted his meter gaining rate through the match.

-Seth-

His Dive Kick's hitstun + blockstun is decreased, so it's slightly harder to use the move as an offense tool.
Good.

vg260

Well maybe the Guile nerfs will cause the bandwagoners to jump off and I won't feel guilty using him anymore. I haven't gone back to him in Super after messing around with Rose, Cody, and Dudley and being on the other end of Guile matches :p

kitzkozan

Killa Sasa said:
Depends how much they nerfed his damage, but the Hurricane nerf hurts too. Makes it harder to use as FB punish or on FADC's I would assume.

He had trouble finishing people in Vanilla IMO because he couldn't do damage, maybe that problem is coming back :lol

Depending on how close he has to be to get Reverse Spin Kick, it could be good or useless for footsies.

I really didn't see why Guile was such a big problem though. FK sucks, did it need a damage nerf? SH only did 420 maxed out, his normals did pretty standard damage. Not seeing eye to eye with his changes. Oh well.

He was so free on wakeup, I didn't mind him being a wall of sorts. He can't do anything up close. His vulnerable hitbox wasn't insanely stupid either. I don't get it.

I think it's mostly a political statement if you wish...

Capcom:We made Guile really good,but too many complaints of him being boring to watch,turtling,too defensive,etc.

If you want to make the game more exciting to watch or even play,you don't want too much Guile in there. :lol If you noticed,Guile,Honda,Chun and dictator will be knocked down a notch or two in favor of offense oriented or a more offensive charge character like Dee Jay.It seems all the balance change point toward the most offensive version of IV,where it will be harder for charge or fireball characters to get a life lead and play keep away (thus the nerf to Ryu and Akuma back jump air tatsu or Seth losing his dhalsim like jumping FP).

Killa Sasa said:

Seems like the meter building nerf is a bigger deal than the damage nerf. You use the meter to make flash kick safe.

kitzkozan said:
I think it's mostly a political statement if you wish...

We made Guile really good,but too many complaints of him being boring to watch,turtling,too defensive,etc.

If you want to make the game more exciting to watch or even play,you don't want too much Guile in there. :lol If you noticed,Guile,Honda,Chun and dictator will be knocked down a notch or two in favor of offense oriented or a more offensive charge character like Dee Jay.It seems all the balance change point toward the most offensive version of IV,where it will be harder for charge or fireball characters to get a life lead and play keep away (thus the nerf to Ryu and Akuma back jump air tatsu or Seth losing his dhalsim like jumping FP).

I guess so. I definitely see everybody hating on Guile :lol I think he's less lame than a couple other characters though since diabolical zoning with fireballs is pretty hard in IV and I think he got a well-balanced reward. If you ask me, the changes are more towards giving people more chances to turn a match around by nerfing some of the stuff that's harder to deal with, but I digress.

Dryeyerelief: the meter-building nerf hurts too, but I think it's more because he loses ex booms as opposed to making FK's safe. It's a big cost for Guile to burn 2 bars like that. His up close game is ass, may as well just let unsafe FK's rip, they're less predictable :lol But I can see your point too.

With his gameplan, having to hit others a couple more times can be easier said than done against some characters. Sometimes, that's all the opponent will need. He'll just have to work harder again.

Where dem Dee Jay changes at? I want to start gauging whether I should alt him, Yang or Sakura :D

Edit: Nice, slide buff for Dee Jay :D That's what I wanted to see.

kitzkozan

-Dee Jay-

[Normals]
Far st.LP's hurtbox around his arm is deleted, so it's more difficult to stuff it.
cr.MP's priority got strengthened, and deals more damage.
Close st.MP's active frame got increased by 1f, so it's easier to use as an AA.
Far st.MK is changed to be a 2-hit normal, and it got adjusted in damage distribution, in start-up, and in the total duration.
1st hit is cancelable, so combos such as
cr.LP -> far st.MK -> specials and close st.MK -> far st.MK -> specials are possible.
Close st.HK, when hit on airborne opponents, will knock them out in the air.
And the 2nd hit of the move has pursuit property.
Far st.HK's start-up got 1f faster, and active frame lengthened by 1f.
cr.HK's distance got shortened, but has more number of active frames,
and will recover faster after active frames end.
Forward j.MK's pushback on hit is adjusted,
so combos after crossing up with it got easier.

[Specials]
Air Slasher's recovery got shortened,
and the hitstun/blockstun got reduced as well. There are no changes to EX Air Slasher.
Opponent's attack will now be registered as a counter hit if you get hit out during the whole move, so if the opponent gets to jump in you will be in a world of hurt.
LK Double Rolling Sobat/Dread Kick's start-up got changed to 12f, and his lower body invincibility is lengthened as well.
It's comboable from light attacks.
Its throw invincibility and airborne state are deleted.
MK/HK/EX version's 1st hit deals longer hitstun, so going for 1st hit of dread kicks (MK/HK/EX) -> FADC -> combo may be great.

Machinegun Upper got increased in damage.
For Jacknife Maximum (Up Kicks),
LK's damage is increased, and is completely invincible until active frames end.
HK and EX versions' hitbox is adjusted in order to prevent it from whiffing some hits after connecting it.

[Ultra]
U2's recovery is reduced as much as possible.

[Others]
Forward dash has more frames where you can input Super/Ultra combo command.
As a result, forward dash -> U2 would be easier than before.

-Hakan-

[Normals]
st.HP's hurtbox around his arm got smaller, so it's easier to use as an AA or a poke.
When Oiled, even when normals are input during forward dash he will still slide a little. (<- i need help with this translation)

[Unique Attacks]
Step Low (F+LK) got to be cancelable.

[Specials]
For Oil Shower, the duration of the oil will be stacked now.
The maximum duration will be 30 seconds.
Also, MK/HK/EX versions have 5f less recovery,
and EX version can be canceled into Guard Position (D+3P, aka coward crouch).
Also, Oil Shower will be one of the follow-ups after Oil Slide.
The effect is the same as LK Oil Shower, and he will be in advantage nevertheless.
LP Oil Slide has faster start-up, and can be connected from cr.LP or Step Low.
Oil Dive (including EX), while holding button, can be canceled into Guard Position.

[Others]
Oil Rocket, Oil Dive's input property is adjusted, so the feeling will be same with that of Zangief's SPD.

_Xenon_

Banned
Damn these normal buffs for DJ/Dan/Dudley/Hakan/Gouken just look sweet. Now look at what Juri got:

"we altered some in her normals as well"

GG Crapcom.

zlatko

Banned
Not 100% feeling the guile nerfs. Why nerf flash kick's at all? As far as I can tell a pro Guile rarely uses a flash kick, because the whiff = you lose 300 health. Hell why not nerf the damage, but buff the hit box or recovery time or something. It's not exactly fun when a super offensive character gets going with cross up galore for Guile.

The meter changes sound fair, but wtf does meter gain throughout a match mean? That needs more clarification. Is it buffed, nerfed? How bad? What is effected? How much into a round does it take for it to enter this meter change?

Guiles Ultras suck ass as it is. I could understand a nerf to Hurricane CHIP damage, but the fact is in SSF4 you need the threat of an Ultra to keep people honest in fights. If the thing takes forever to start up and does piss now, I could see a lot of people just not caring or openly baiting it out without much thought.

I do feel Guile needed to be nerfed to keep him on fair game with the cast, but this is a bit over kill. Abel and Guile = blown up for characters I use in AE. Yang, Cody, and Adon all still look legit though thankfully.

LakeEarth

zlatko said:
Guiles Ultras suck ass as it is.
That might be a conscious decision. I think its completely on purpose that both of Honda's ultras suck and yet both Rufus and Abel have two ridiculously useful ultras. They might've underestimated the usefulness of Guile's second ultra.

DR2K

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
Damn these normal buffs for DJ/Dan/Dudley/Hakan/Gouken just look sweet. Now look at what Juri got:

GG Crapcom.

Juri is the type of character that gets better when the top get worse. I can't imagine her having any problem against mentioned characters even with their buffs.

kitzkozan

_Xenon_ said:

GG Crapcom.

Nope,I disagree with you there. :lol Having increased walk speed will already make her far more effective at rushing down/poking/playing footsies.Honestly,Juri had to be played as a zoning character despite having tools which could be tailored to a rush down oriented character (way too hard to get in when you move at such a snail pace).Add in limited combo options and too many unsafe move and the character just couldn't reach it's full potential.

Fuhajin store will possibly open up a lot of combo options,perhaps even fuhajin kick > FADC > U2.Normals weren't the biggest problem with Juri.

Gouken for example needed better normals to have reliable combos,especially being able to hit confirm rush punch from lp/lk.

Steaks

Hmm, Deejay sounds reasonably better, although that seems more of a result of the direct nerfs of other characters.

As someone who plays Deejay, allow me to dissect these changes for no apparent reason:

[Normals]
Far st.LP's hurtbox around his arm is deleted, so it's more difficult to stuff it.
-Solid change, this will probably make it a good pressure tool for walking into people and stuffing stuff like Ken f.MK.

cr.MP's priority got strengthened, and deals more damage.
-Can't complain about this, cr.MP is already a really high priority move, did they give it more range? The damage buff is solid, makes his rather mediocre footsies better, and a better anti-crouch tech move (especially on CH).

Close st.MP's active frame got increased by 1f, so it's easier to use as an AA.
- This move was already a good anti-air utilized properties. Okay change.

Far st.MK is changed to be a 2-hit normal, and it got adjusted in damage distribution, in start-up, and in the total duration.
-No idea what they intended here. Far MK was an okay anti-air though, this could potentially be a nerf.

1st hit is cancelable, so combos such as cr.LP -> far st.MK -> specials and close st.MK -> far st.MK -> specials are possible.
- This on the other hand, could be REALLY useful. Deejay has a hard time translating damage off hitconfirms from further away.

Close st.HK, when hit on airborne opponents, will knock them out in the air.
- This move is really crappy. Can't see this being that useful.

And the 2nd hit of the move has pursuit property.
-Pretty slow move with poor priority getting juggle state? Well, can't hurt. Dunno how it will play out though.

Far st.HK's start-up got 1f faster, and active frame lengthened by 1f.
- Pretty decent, gives him a better poke. This move probably still blows though.

cr.HK's distance got shortened, but has more number of active frames, and will recover faster after active frames end.
- Mixed bag, on one hand, the length of this move was very useful for AA from very far away, although for similar distances he can still meet with j.HP. On the other hand, this move being safer could mean it might be useful in footsies and as an approach. This could also make it more useful for going under certain stuff.

Forward j.MK's pushback on hit is adjusted, so combos after crossing up with it got easier.
- This is a really good change, sometimes the pushback after j.Mk made it very difficult to get a good confirm combo going.

[Specials]
Air Slasher's recovery got shortened, and the hitstun/blockstun got reduced as well. There are no changes to EX Air Slasher.
- Max Out really needed this, it was one of the slowest recovering projectiles in the game, I can see the Slide nerf for this alone, makes his overall game much stronger. The hitstun nerf is give or take, it seems like they just did that to keep the same frame advantage.

Opponent's attack will now be registered as a counter hit if you get hit out during the whole move, so if the opponent gets to jump in you will be in a world of hurt.
-OUCH, what was this for? Seems like a really weird, random nerf for the sake of changing things.

LK Double Rolling Sobat/Dread Kick's start-up got changed to 12f, and his lower body invincibility is lengthened as well.
- Good change, makes this move better for random pressure.

It's comboable from light attacks.

Its throw invincibility and airborne state are deleted.
-Well, okay! Can't really complain, not a huge nerf. If you were using this to beat throws, it was punishable on block anyway, so it was generally kind of risky to use.

MK/HK/EX version's 1st hit deals longer hitstun, so going for 1st hit of dread kicks (MK/HK/EX) -> FADC -> combo may be great.
-Neat, not that useful unless you have 3 bars and need to translate a random far hit into U2.

Machinegun Upper got increased in damage.
- Good change, Deejay lacks in the damage department without U2.

For Jacknife Maximum (Up Kicks), LK's damage is increased, and is completely invincible until active frames end.
- This improves this move as an anti-air, probably won't trade EVER.

HK and EX versions' hitbox is adjusted in order to prevent it from whiffing some hits after connecting it.
- Good change, EX Upkicks whiffed a lot to begin with...

[Ultra]
U2's recovery is reduced as much as possible.
-And this is a big daddy of a change, along with the easier landing of this, the move itself has almost NO frame advantage for a knockdown, you get pretty much no pressure and it leaves you right next to someone. This makes fighting someone who beats you in an up close game a huge pain and also will give you a better chance of setting something up after the KD. Good change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom