• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
black_vegeta said:
:lol The arcade stick in the trash pic on the srk thread.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Wiseblade said:
:lol :lol :lol @ EU Players complaining about Cammy.

I don't entirely agree with Vryu comment about UK vs France though. They have Alioune, who pretty much stands over everyone. But then we have plenty of players who can go toe to toe with the likes of Starnab and Luffy.

i think thats what he was getting at though, that france has a few super good players, but over all UK has a larger pool of solid players.

Mœbius

Rice-Eater said:
It is kind of strange though, I've played other Europeans and although it's laggy, it wasn't no where near as bad as the experience you and I had from what I can remember. But still, I'd love to do it again the next time we have a chance.
It will probably be worse next time as I'm in Taiwan now, not Europe. Anyway you're right, it's just online so what the hell, we'll try again. :)

I read the V-Ryu comment the same way as Haunts, though I think the good players in the UK are catching up fast in terms of getting to that very good level along with the likes of Ryan and Alioune. I also think that in the near future a couple of young stars from the UK, like Yota, are going to tear it up on an International level.

Wiseblade

pirateben said:
It will probably be worse next time as I'm in Taiwan now, not Europe. Anyway you're right, it's just online so what the hell, we'll try again. :)

I read the V-Ryu comment the same way as Haunts, though I think the good players in the UK are catching up fast in terms of getting to that very good level along with the likes of Ryan and Alioune. I also think that in the near future a couple of young stars from the UK, like Yota, are going to tear it up on an International level.
Don't even get me started on that guy...

Mœbius

Wiseblade said:
Don't even get me started on that guy...
lol

Back when Super released I played him in a long set, pretty much beasted on me the entire time. I think I managed like three wins over him (we must have played like 15), and even those were close / lucky on my part.

It's a shame I left the country, would love to play him more. Hell, I never even got a chance to meet and play you man!

Wiseblade

pirateben said:
lol

Back when Super released I played him in a long set, pretty much beasted on me the entire time. I think I managed like three wins over him (we must have played like 15), and even those were close / lucky on my part.

It's a shame I left the country, would love to play him more. Hell, I never even got a chance to meet and play you man!

Losing to Yota can get so demoralising sometimes. Getting beat down constantly by a guy visibly younger than you who changes character more often than some people change clothes is depressing.

Yeah, it's a shame we never played too.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
My Chun is fuckin ballin, captain. I think I'm down to like 1600 bp. I keep forgetting about ex sbk. I've lost my finesse without the ability to mash reversal.

Mœbius

Wiseblade said:
Losing to Yota can get so demoralising sometimes. Getting beat down constantly by a guy visibly younger than you who changes character more often than some people change clothes is depressing.
Oh god yeah, forgot to mention that in my original post - he was switching characters every other match we played. Young buck truly owned my soul. Who is he maining now?

Wiseblade

pirateben said:
Oh god yeah, forgot to mention that in my original post - he was switching characters every other match we played. Young buck truly owned my soul. Who is he maining now?

He's mostly been using Fei Long recently.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
back in the day if you lost to someone younger than you you could just punch them and everything sort of worked itself out from there, but now with this INTERNET PLAY dosent work the same.

Wow, HAV telling people to stop talking and instead work on their game.....you gotta be good at something (anything) before you have the right to call people out like that. HAV was average (at best) at CvS2 and bad at SF4, it's annoying seeing him boast about his "abilities."

Somebody hit my router when i was playing Greg and Threi last night and it broke :(

Why can i almost beat threi with a character like Bison that i have no idea what his buttons do, but i cant do much better with Dudley? Why is Dudley so trash. My 2 combo Gen is more godlike.

Shoutouts to doing ex jet upper when you have someone stunned and ultra would have closed out the round. fuck rolling my fingers. the only rolling thunder is greg making a no health comeback then kicking my ass in the third.

Threi

notag
God's Beard said:
Why can i almost beat threi with a character like Bison that i have no idea what his buttons do, but i cant do much better with Dudley? Why is Dudley so trash. My 2 combo Gen is more godlike.
To be fair I was trolling.

And if it makes you feel better I raged again in ranked yesterday...

...but, i did beat throwryuken in ranked. That was kinda funny. :lol

*edit*

Good shit Gutabo.

Found the grand finals!

REMEMBER, LAG WAS REALLY BAD ON THAT TV. If you check the vid(and the next one) at the end when I win, you'll notice I don't even smile and I tell my opponent something like "it was a russian roulette with lag that bad". I only start to smile when they began to take pics.
And now we know why you won!

:p

I would make some lag jokes about Gutabo, but whenever I play him, there is little to no lag. :lol

My connection with Wiseblade and Gutabo is better than my connection with a lot of XBL GAF for some reason. =/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Threi said:
The funny thing is wolfkrone did exactly this...and there is still a shitstorm.

This whole "new blood can never be as good as the OGs" mentality needs to stop. These people put in just as much effort as they did "back in the good ol' days", and it shows. If they didn't, then it would be still the same people ruling the scene (which how it kinda is, but not completely).

Then again those are the same ones quick to put the blame on the game instead, say there is too much bullshit in it, and instead yearn for the bullshit that was in the older games. "It's bullshit yeah but I am used to it dammit!"

I am not saying the "OG's" shouldn't be respected (<3 Afrocole). They earned and deserve all the respect in the world. But it's a two-way street. If a kid is coming up and beating big names left and right then they deserve at least a little respect as well.

In my honest, opinion: The fighting game community sucks. It's not inclusive to "newbies," and SRK in general is pretty horrible.

I'm honestly not surprised by the childish behavior of the "oldbies." "OH YOU WEREN'T HERE WHEN FIGHTING GAMES WERE DYING! YOU SUCK! GO HOME!" etc. etc. etc. just... makes me shy away from fighting games.

Hell, Q and Proto and Dragonball practically ran me out of BB/SSF4. Why bother asking stupid questions in a thread and trying to figure out the game when it doesn't explain things too well and get "GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MAN" etc.?

I'll stick to my shootan games, thanks.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm debating whether or not to start getting the Ultra costume packs right away, or wait for the inevitable lump DLC to get them all at once.

I believe in the past there's been a discount for buying the one DLC package instead of the individual ones, right? How much of a difference is it?

Mike M said:
I'm debating whether or not to start getting the Ultra costume packs right away, or wait for the inevitable lump DLC to get them all at once.

I believe in the past there's been a discount for buying the one DLC package instead of the individual ones, right? How much of a difference is it?
The full Super costume pack was $18, if you bought them separately they'd cost about $28.
I assume we'll get the same pricing here, but I don't think the full Ultra costume pack will be out until April, while the individual catalog packs will be done by January.

TheSeks said:
In my honest, opinion: The fighting game community sucks. It's not inclusive to "newbies," and SRK in general is pretty horrible.

I'm honestly not surprised by the childish behavior of the "oldbies." "OH YOU WEREN'T HERE WHEN FIGHTING GAMES WERE DYING! YOU SUCK! GO HOME!" etc. etc. etc. just... makes me shy away from fighting games.

Hell, Q and Proto and Dragonball practically ran me out of BB/SSF4. Why bother asking stupid questions in a thread and trying to figure out the game when it doesn't explain things too well and get "GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MAN" etc.?

I agree with this for the most part. There is a lot of "old man syndrome" in the fighting game communities.

I just think people that don't want to let go and hold on to their old bullshit, because the old days were "better" in their opinion, or their ego can't take what is going on now.

There was a lot of bullshit in the day. Nostalgia does things to people.

I am in my early 30's and come up with arcade in the 90's. I miss the arcade scene, but I don't really think the games were better back then.

I just go to the Tech Talk section on SRK nowadays anyways, so whatevers.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If I'm on SRK I'm either looking at the custom sticks or in the Cammy section. That's it. The Cammy guys are all great real nice. They'll critique videos and get some matches in and answer any questions you have. Just as long as you don't start a thread for them lol.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Most competitive/1 on 1 gaming communities are terrible. Ego driven.

I love the community but yes, I agree. There is a lot of suck to go around.

TheSeks said:

No... just no. I believe we have given you enough basic tips. You played Lambda so I couldn't give you detailed info how to play her. I DID tell you to stop doing 5CCCC and you were still doing that. I told you the basics how to get around and you were still not listening. Also gave you enough supporting data to show you that Lambda is in no way a bad character and even gave you videos to watch. If you had asked good questions, I would've researched for you, but all you have said is "No, Lambda sucks... She can't do anything close combat... LOOK AT HER IN THIS MATCH! SHE LOST." You're just giving me fuel to ignite you.

I don't mind playing new players and giving them advise. In fact, I will actually play with beginners, sometimes for 1-2 hour straight just so they can learn. Trust me, if I didn't care about them, I would just tell them "no, play someone else." I am a firm believer that the fastest way to learn a fighting game is playing someone better than you. I actually relish the moments when I find someone good because it means I can learn so much about either a matchup or how to play the game.

You, however, have learned nothing which is why I blew up on you in the BBCS thread. Also, I am in no way an old timer... I started playing 2D fighters last year, so you have no excuses.

ALTHOUGH, I will agree with you that at least Dustloop has been going downhill. I only go there for combo infos now.

Mike M

Nick N
_dementia said:
The full Super costume pack was $18, if you bought them separately they'd cost about $28.
I assume we'll bet the same pricing here, but I don't think the full Ultra costume pack will be out until April, while the individual catalog packs will be done by January.
Ten bucks is a fairly significant savings.

But I'd have to wait months...

Argh....

Axis

TheSeks said:

how did DBJ run you away from ssf4? he's good and all but take your losses and learn from them...don't look at it as "i can't compete with these guys" look at it as "i can't compete with these guys YET"

i started playing fighting games when super came out and still get blow up by dbj/greg/satyamdas/joekage but that doesn't make me want to quit playing...it makes me want to get better

Axis said:
how did DBJ run you away from ssf4? he's good and all but take your losses and learn from them...don't look at it as "i can't compete with these guys" look at it as "i can't compete with these guys YET"

i started playing fighting games when super came out and still get blow up by dbj/greg/satyamdas/joekage but that doesn't make me want to quit playing...it makes me want to get better

THANK YOU!!! I <3 YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW. That's exactly what I mean.

Between wakeupSRK and that thread, it's been pretty entertaining.

The only issue I found with the thread besides the massive trolling was when they brought up that one quote by Flash. I can understand the mentality but it did smack of ignorance, especially now in the wake of Vangief, Wolfkrone, Inthul, Shizza, etc.

And I'd agree with Markman, the egos are what's hurting the fighting game community. I'd like to see the fighting game community be as huge as WoW/RTS/FPS. And it would be awesome if someone could just play fighting games competitively for a living.

Axis said:

True dat. If you walked into a martial arts dojo, you don't expect to be Bruce Lee or chucking around GSP. It's all about learning and getting better. The true path of the warrior lies in the journey, improving and enjoying yourself.

eissan

Axis said:

very true! vex used to be below average when he first started to play this game but now I'd say he's better than about most players out there who are not pro's.

you have to be very competitive to play fighting games and have a attitude of losing doesnt mean shit besides a lesson to learn as to what you did wrong. I remember DBJ beating me like 15 straight one time and I finally got a game...I did a big jersey shore guido fist pump. :D

eissan said:
very true! vex used to be below average when he first started to play this game but now I'd say he's better than about most players out there who are not pro's.

you have to be very competitive to play fighting games and have a attitude of losing doesnt mean shit besides a lesson to learn as to what you did wrong. I remember DBJ beating me like 15 straight one time and I finally got a game...I did a big jersey shore guido fist pump. :D
Vex is still below average, and you are still a scrub.

Wiseblade said:
Trade DP -> DP? Sakura is broken.

I like how DBJ keeps rinsing the one reset too awkward to mash EX run on. ¬.¬
:D

Leunam

Who is wafflepop? Pretty sure he posts on here. Thanks for the beasting last night. Getting good with a steering wheel fucks up my abilities on a stick, that's for sure. :lol

gutabo

Thanks guys! LOL threi, you missed my relix lag joke on the first post :p

Again, SHOUTOUTS to AXIS AND EISSAN, international cobra kai members! :D (check the stream vids I posted before for lots of spanish cobra kai references!)

El Sloth said:
Congrats Gutabo! Lag or no that was still some good shit. How is the scene in Peru anyways?
It was huge back in the day, but faded away. Then it came back with MvC2 and then faded away again. And now thanks to SF4 the hype is back. There are some arcades around, but they have PCs with emulators with 2k games on so you put a coin, choose a game and play for a while. KoF is big here(98, 2k2). It's really hard to find SF4 cabinets around here(there are none) but we have PS3s with a coin stuff added and the start button disabled(pretty much like they did with MvC2 and dreamcast). Here in peru we have a central hub for most capcom games on facebook("the backyard", where I was named admin some months ago) with 200 active members and we're trying to get all fighters together and doing bigger tourneys, get a site going(facebook is not enough), getting a place to do more stuff and just trying to get a bigger scene. We had a guy(Jaime Calzada) that won a south-american tourney(I placed 4th, he sent me to losers bracket) and a trip to Dreamhack winter, but he(as lots of people around here with no access to TE sticks) besides having great reactions and basics didn't know how to plink or OS or stuff that I consider a must(hell the guy did his best but he doesn't even speak english so no forums/vids data for him and he never played online before the tourney/meeting us). We're working on translating stuff(I usually translate a piece or two per week, including some stuff like AE changes) so people can learn and get better at fighting games faster. Personally I've becomed more involved in organizing/getting things going and less in actually playing lately, like doing online stuff like peru vs colombia/chile/argentina(we almost have peru vs panama ready!). But lag makes things hard. And most people end up dropping gaming because of real life stuff(I almost "retired" twice this year, I'm very lucky). I hope this rant/WoT was the answer you were looking for :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom