• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DarkoMaledictus said:
Panda, in some regards he is right, but he speaks of competitive level... really at that level there are only about 6-8 viable characters in the game, the rest are just for fun and frills. Against someone like Daigo you better pick wisely... lets face it, Hakan or Dudley will just never measure at that level unless the opponent have no idea what the match up is...

In my opinion the viable characters are : Rufus, Ryu, Viper, Seth, Balrog, Bison, Ken. There might be others, but to really play at that level you need major footsies, easy setup to ultra, combo mechanics and some good reversals. About 1% of the people who play the game will really be able to take advantage of those benefits. For most people they will never feel the disparity between characters...

I'm sure some people will bring up Gamerbee and his Adon, but how much is it about novelty and surprise than high level competition. I doubt once the player know the match up properly we will see many Adons...
This mentality is what holds you back.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
EraldoCoil said:
Don't feel like talkin about it.....carry on with the conversation of viable characters.

Lol that bad, at least you didn't disconnect like panda. Nah that conversation is over... OVER I say ;). Can feel the bridge between SRK forming and I can almost see a mob of angry townsfolk running my way =). ( note to self : never mention chars ;) )

DarkoMaledictus said:
Lol, my fault for naming characters. Now everyone and their crooked eyed sister is going to pick a pitch fork and come running my way hehe ;).

You put Seth and Ken above chun is crazy .
I would say over 10 chars viable and thats not talking about people like Rose or Fei and few more who look to be really good in time.
Hell even the other day a chun beat daigo.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
EraldoCoil said:
I say currently there are 20 viable characters out of the cast of 35.

That's just me though, and I'm currently speaking in salty rage form too.

I think it would be easier to say who isn't viable. Dan definitely. Gen, Hakan, Makoto, Guy perhaps?

Also it's matchup based.

as for Dudley/Ryu- I'm guessing EX Thunderbolt punishes full screen fireball right?

chriskun

DarkoMaledictus said:
Lol, my fault for naming characters. Now everyone and their crooked eyed sister is going to pick a pitch fork and come running my way hehe ;).
Its ok Dark, but you clearly are uninformed here.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
arstal said:
I think it would be easier to say who isn't viable. Dan definitely. Gen, Hakan, Makoto, Guy perhaps?

Also it's matchup based.

as for Dudley/Ryu- I'm guessing EX Thunderbolt punishes full screen fireball right?

Nah it doesn'T. ex does not heat seek, it has to be spaced... useless move altogether better off trying to duck under it and hit. It can be hit on takeoff and once blocked you are open season unless you fadc but there is no option after fadc...

arstal said:
I think it would be easier to say who isn't viable. Dan definitely. Hakan, Makoto, Guy perhaps?

Also it's matchup based.
Non viable in my opinion are Dan, T Hawk, Gen, Hakan, Makoto.

Maybe viable in time, Guy, Dee Jay, Dud, Juri. Cody

I'm on the fence about Blanka, Elf,Gouken,Sakura.... As I believe these can be very dangerous in the right hands.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
SephirothRK said:
ggs to all those in the tourney, it was a lot of fun. There was a lot of close matches. Thanks to Gyrian for hosting and gibration for donating the prizes.

Unfortunately for Panda to dc from the tourney :( I'm looking forward to see the bracket 2 matches, looks like it was hype. Gyrian got awesome text commentary with Eraldo also.

Here's are some of the bracket 1 matches. I'm sorry in advance that I fk up the sound settings while recording...

Bracket 1 - Round 1:

PandaCraft(Hakan) vs. SovMish(Ken)
KobunKun(Chunli) vs. CallMehGod(Guile)
I'm missing Devil Trigger vs LyteEgde match, I thought I saved it :(
SephirothRK(C. Viper) vs. Exuro45(Chunli)

Bracket 1 - Round 2:
PandaCraft vs. KobunKun didn't happen because Panda dc :(
lyteedge2(Chunli) vs. SephirothRK(C. Viper)

Bracket 1 - Final

KobunKun(Chunli) vs. SephirothRK(C. Viper)

Grand Finals
SephirothRK(C. Viper) vs. floydnova(Abel)
Nice play Seph! I like your seismo pressure, I recall being on the receiving end of that more than once.

What are you using to capture?

Rentahamster said:
Nice play Seph! I like your seismo pressure, I recall being on the receiving end of that more than once.

What are you using to capture?
EasyCap using MadCatz Series Pro Cable PS3 S-Video cable(You see that MarkMan, it's a good product)

Had to do some editing and heavy compressing.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
dragonballjoseph said:
Playing SSF4 on PSN must be really annoying with those messages.

Nah actually it has the advantage of allowing a channel to type in msg and host a huge number of people. Those message on the top right actually show you what people are saying while the game is going on. Pretty cool, only annoying part is having to type on a stick lol!

dragonballjoseph said:
Not really, you never really notice it while playing. It's actually the thing that brings us all together and keeps us there. Nothing but good times.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
:(

I want to play, and gods beard has made my mouth salivate for dudley, I really want to play him but too afraid to try xD, gonna get robbed of my dignity.

Come on yuro-gaf, where did ya'll vanish?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Corky said:
:(

I want to play, and gods beard has made my mouth salivate for dudley, I really want to play him but too afraid to try xD, gonna get robbed of my dignity.

Come on yuro-gaf, where did ya'll vanish?

On psn? Want to play my sucky Duds ? :)

dragonballjoseph said:

Nah plus you can always sign out when your playing .
Which is what some of us did for the tourney .
Gaf chat is fun with regulars .

Woah just watched the vid.

The messages are wayyyy bigger in the vid then they are during actual play. Don't know why that is.

The message box is quite small and hardly gets in the way of anything.

dragonballjoseph said:
Well, it kind of covered the a characters health bar, don't see any advantages in that. And voice chat.
/360

like i said, it doesn't really do that on the screen, the boxes in the vid are ginormous, it's probably because of youtube or the compression or something.

if anything the message occasionally blocks the characters pic in the right corner, but never interferes with the health meter

EraldoCoil said:
like i said, it doesn't really do that on the screen, the boxes in the vid are ginormous, it's probably because of youtube or the compression or something.

if anything the message occasionally blocks the characters pic in the right corner, but never interferes with the health meter
I see.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Thanks for the uploads, Sephiroth! But the sound quality and the frame rate in those replays are pretty bad.

I don't think I have the replay of my match with Devil Trigger. Was just playing a bunch of matches and those tournament replays are long gone.

Didn't do as badly in the fifth round against you as I thought I did, and didn't even look so bad in the fourth either, but somewhere after the 3:10 mark is where my wife came in the room and distracted the hell out of me. :lol

dragonballjoseph said:

The sign-on/off notifications on my PS3 aren't that huge! But it's still annoying, as is playing while in a chat room. It will cover up a bit of player two's lifebar. I suppose you can always adjust them if necessary.

The PSN-only guys are gonna tell you it's better, but 360 SSF4 is where it's at. Sorry dudes. ;P

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PSN notifications have a fixed pixel size. They're larger in SD than in HD.

Still, the persistent gafchat is better than the wilderness of XBL.

Garcian

Joining in the with the Duds talk - my main problem is that I'm not consistent enough with his hard hitting combos (keep dropping the lp>s.hk link); when I do get in I don't make my opponent pay enough. More time needed in training I think.

Ledsen

DarkSloth said:
Damnit Seph, you beat me again. And here I was not sleeping.

Well, here are the vids that I took of the tourney. The last 2 haven't really finished processing yet, so they'll look a little ugly.

First half of the bracket: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckvengAmrT8
Second half of the bracket: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skZBlRquEac

And then Grand Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59IaJMCwVa8

I only saw a bit of the first video but as a felllow Chun player I have to say to "Kobunkun" that dude, mix it up with a throw once in a while!

I just started getting into this game seriously. I'm practicing the hell out of Sakura right now. She's really hard to play against Akuma/Ryu/Ken at this point. x_x Well, pretty much anyone who keeps their distance.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
seriously..i wish i had a camera..how do i play with guy..and loose more then half of my matches..yet incur crazy amount of hatemail?..then i go to endless and i get nothing but praise?..wtf?..i wont say it doesnt bother me..cause it fucking does..a ten thousand plus point ryu turtling on guy and then sending me hate mail..seriously?..yea youre cool guy

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lost Fragment said:
How is Makoto not viable when a Makoto has placed top 8 at a major?

Very few characters in this game that aren't viable, imho.
The only real way to know just how viable characters are is for somebody to plump their depths and take them as far as possible.

Of course, some characters are troll tier by design.

DarknessTear said:
I just started getting into this game seriously. I'm practicing the hell out of Sakura right now. She's really hard to play against Akuma/Ryu/Ken at this point. x_x Well, pretty much anyone who keeps their distance.
Agaisnt your average shoto, you can actually keep up with them in the fireball war. Make them adjust to the war and then do a surprise EX Sakura Otoshi to get your un-techable knockdown (i.e. they can't do a quick stand) and go for your mix-ups.

Of course, this is assuming you can chuck the plasma with Sakura fast. Otherwise (although reading your opponent's fireball habits is still viable), focus through the fireballs or tatsu through them to gain ground (and build some meter).

Natural

Just beat some guy in ranked using nothing but slides and he had the cheek to send me a message after: "cheap".. He was using T-Hawk. Oh the irony. :lol

zon

Natural said:
Just beat some guy in ranked using nothing but slides and he had the cheek to send me a message after: "cheap".. He was using T-Hawk. Oh the irony. :lol

I beat a 3k bp ruy earlier who's tactics consisted of

jump in -> get punished for it -> SHORYUKEN!!!! -> get thrown

after getting up

jump in -> get punished for it -> SHORYUKEN!!!! -> get thrown

Two whole rounds of me punishing his jumps and shoryuken. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom