• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cHaotix8

Lost Fragment said:
How is Makoto not viable when a Makoto has placed top 8 at a major?

Very few characters in this game that aren't viable, imho.

People aren't familiar with the matchup. Same goes for Gamerbee. I'm pretty sure if Wong had switched to Balrog he wouldn't have lost.

God's Beard said:
Why does Ryu beat Dudley? c.MK and SRK invincibility?

It's why Kuroda took the world by it's ass with Q while America twiddled their Chuns.

Those are two of the main reasons why he beats Dudley but he has plenty of other tools as well. He can tatsu after fireballs, go for an ambiguous crossup on knockdown, fadc fireballs. He can rush you down better than Dudley can, can zone you better than Dudley can, and can mix you up better than Dudley can.

Kuroda could do it because he had parry to make up for bad normals. There's no cop out in this game.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Nah actually it has the advantage of allowing a channel to type in msg and host a huge number of people. Those message on the top right actually show you what people are saying while the game is going on. Pretty cool, only annoying part is having to type on a stick lol!

Yeah, I couldn't stand that after a week. Dusted off an old USB keyboard, now it's worlds better...

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
cHaotix8 said:
People aren't familiar with the matchup. Same goes for Gamerbee. I'm pretty sure if Wong had switched to Balrog he wouldn't have lost.

Game's been out far too long now for matchup unfamiliarity to be much of an excuse for supposed top players.

As a Bison player, my worst match up was Guile. So I decided to try to learn Guile and am surprised how easy he was for me to pick up. I love the crouching fierce and hitting someone point blank with a sonic boom and follow it up with a forward fierce is such a good feeling. I guess Guile's fierce is Bison's roundhouse. I play him pretty lame and the majority of the internet don't know how to fight someone who holds down and back.

Any tips for a budding Guile player?

Threi

notag
tried a hori ex2 today (first actual arcade stick with regular size buttons), dunno what to think of it. I know it's not arcade quality parts but I don't like how close together the stick and buttons are. I didn't think the stick mechanism was too bad either. Also, is the EX2 considered a light stick? Because its the same weight as my CPSF :(

If I had more money I would make another stick out of a VCR case :D

STG

just got a mail from ustream godsgarden page:
Hey guys,
I:m in Yokohama Japan right now at GamersVision arcade, home of the GodsGarden tournament! They are about ?? start streaming tonight (it:s 2AM right now lol) and the featured players are Tokido and Mago, two of the best players in the world!

Lost Fragment said:
Game's been out far too long now for matchup unfamiliarity to be much of an excuse for supposed top players.

While this would seem to be true, its a simple matter of numbers.

1: How many players are playing
2: How many players are any good
3: How many good players are playing good characters
4: How many players are playing characters considered to be bad

Note I didn't say characters that ARE bad. There arent any bad characters. But as you can see, the amount of match up experience you would have is comparitively small once you get that far down the road. It isnt that you dont KNOW the match up, you simply dont have as much experience, and you never will. This is especially true with a character like Adon who can dramatically change his air trajectories and spacing. At least if you are playing gen you know he isnt going to all the sudden full screen kick you (at least as quickly as adon can)

Personally, i'm glad Justin lost, not because he is a douche or a bad person, but because it shows people that SSF4 is a sufficiently balanced game that those characters you CONSIDER to be bad can still be viable. Even though Bison is my favorite character, I plan on bringing gouken and dee jay out a bit more often now

MiniBossBattle said:
As a Bison player, my worst match up was Guile. So I decided to try to learn Guile and am surprised how easy he was for me to pick up. I love the crouching fierce and hitting someone point blank with a sonic boom and follow it up with a forward fierce is such a good feeling. I guess Guile's fierce is Bison's roundhouse. I play him pretty lame and the majority of the internet don't know how to fight someone who holds down and back.

Flashkick FADC down+HP+HK

I'm content with just playing guile by strictly zoning my opponent, only because I can't get his damn links down. A rushdown guile is something that I admire greatly.

Momo

Banned
hi guys, quick question.

If I buy super street fighter IV can I verse my friends that have Street Fighter IV?

Thanks in advance.

Threi said:
tried a hori ex2 today (first actual arcade stick with regular size buttons), dunno what to think of it. I know it's not arcade quality parts but I don't like how close together the stick and buttons are. I didn't think the stick mechanism was too bad either. Also, is the EX2 considered a light stick? Because its the same weight as my CPSF :(

Yeah, I would consider FS EX2 a light stick. The closeness of buttons relative to the lever are pretty typical on any modern Japanese stick.

Momo said:
If I buy super street fighter IV can I verse my friends that have Street Fighter IV?
of course not

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Threi said:

Yeah, definitely looks like a light stick. You want that heft.

cHaotix8

Lost Fragment said:

Good players usually play in a group of good players, who play characters, who they feel, are capable of winning tournaments. They don't waste their time playing characters who they don't feel that they can win with. Therefore, there are a lot of tournament level players who don't have the same level of experience with characters like Dudley or Makoto as they would with Ibuki.

cHaotix8 said:
Those are two of the main reasons why he beats Dudley but he has plenty of other tools as well. He can tatsu after fireballs, go for an ambiguous crossup on knockdown, fadc fireballs. He can rush you down better than Dudley can, can zone you better than Dudley can, and can mix you up better than Dudley can.

Kuroda could do it because he had parry to make up for bad normals. There's no cop out in this game.

You're a really negative guy, you know?

cHaotix8 said:
Good players usually play in a group of good players, who play characters, who they feel, are capable of winning tournaments. They don't waste their time playing characters who they don't feel that they can win with. Therefore, there are a lot of tournament level players who don't have the same level of experience with characters like Dudley or Makoto as they would with Ibuki.
Fragment's argument still stands.

For the record, I think Ryu is one of Dudley's best matchups. Jab ducking straight for fireballs, Corkscrew cross and super as anti-air, just lame it out. I don't do anything unsafe unless I have to, which is the case for a lot of matchups, just not Ryu.

MiniBossBattle said:

As was already pointed out, flashkick fadc glasses will make people salty rushdown you, and with guile that really isnt a problem.

Obviously as guile you NEED to be comfortable in the corner, working on zoning is fine, but the best guiles CAN rush down. Or, I suppose what counts for the guile version of rush down, which is just slowly pushing the opponent into the corner, dropping a few block strings and maybe a psychic flashkick. Being in the corner against a guile is cause for concern, big time

fubarduck

Dexa said:
any word on Tokido vs Mago godsgarden today? when does it start - will spooky restream it?

Godsgarden TV happens every Monday night and it's more of a "show", the focus is on talking about the game/scene and answering questions from the fans, usually one of them plays on Xbox Live for a little while though.

In other words, a restream probably isn't necessary. Anyway, it should be starting any minute @ http://www.ustream.tv/channel/godsgarden.

Dexa

Banned
fubarduck said:
Godsgarden TV happens every Monday night and it's more of a "show", the focus is on talking about the game/scene and answering questions from the fans, usually one of them plays on Xbox Live for a little while though.

In other words, a restream probably isn't necessary. Anyway, it should be starting any minute @ http://www.ustream.tv/channel/godsgarden.

oh :( i was expecting the godsgarden tourney

fubarduck

Dexa said:
oh :( i was expecting the godsgarden tourney

The only match left in the Godsgarden Online tourney is the finals, which is sako vs YHC Mochi. I don't think the date/time for that has been set yet.

Dexa

Banned
fubarduck said:
The only match left in the Godsgarden Online tourney is the finals, which is sako vs YHC Mochi. I don't think the date/time for that have been set yet.

oh true :D thanks for the heads up

hitsugi

fubarduck said:
The only match left in the Godsgarden Online tourney is the finals, which is sako vs YHC Mochi. I don't think the date/time for that has been set yet.

yeah, no date or time yet D: I'm trying to wait so patiently but I'm gonna go ahead and guess this weekend.

...and no later than that

cHaotix8

God's Beard said:
You're a really negative guy, you know?

No, I just know the weaknesses of my character. When you're fighting people who actually play the match up right, not just casual xbox live Ryus, those weaknesses start to surface.

But that's enough Dudley talk. It's not like I'm gonna stop playing him. I just wish he was good enough to win consistently on a high level.

Gyrian

Detailed Results

rw010w.jpg

Thanks Seph and Exuro for posting match footage. :]

We'll try something more complex next time.
The built in Tourney mode is excellent, because it moves fast as hell after it's set up. It's too bad that it's 8p, single elimination limited. Judging from the experience of setting up the Grand Final via Endless Battle, we'll have to figure out a more efficient way to do it if we intend to hold every single match with this setup.

micrometaru.gif

badass... grats to seph again.

so it was best of 5, single elims... no character lock? Any clue when the next ones going down?

GAF SSF4 community is awesome

cHaotix8 said:
No, I just know the weaknesses of my character. When you're fighting people who actually play the match up right, not just casual xbox live Ryus, those weaknesses start to surface.

But that's enough Dudley talk. It's not like I'm gonna stop playing him. I just wish he was good enough to win consistently on a high level.

Any character is good enough to win consistently on a high level. The only thing holding you back is you. Put the time into it, practice, and make it happen.

the_log_ride said:
badass... grats to seph again.

so it was best of 5, single elims... no character lock? Any clue when the next ones going down?

GAF has so many Chun Li's :lol

I feel like maining someone else now.

Gyrian

the_log_ride said:

Correct on all counts.
In a way, a natural extension of how we'd been playing over PSN GAF as of late.
We could have another go in the last weekend of July. Take a little time to better prepare.

the_log_ride said:

wvo0wl.jpg

It truly is, a pleasure to match against all of you.
I'm sad to not get to meet 360 SSFIV GAF; from the evidence in this thread, another top class group.

micrometaru.gif

cHaotix8

riceandbeans said:
Any character is good enough to win consistently on a high level. The only thing holding you back is you. Put the time into it, practice, and make it happen.

Even Dan? Sorry man but this just isn't true. You may place top 16 or 8 in a tournament but you'll never win or be the best using bottom tier in SSIV.

riceandbeans said:
GAF has so many Chun Li's :lol

I feel like maining someone else now.

lol, yeah. Actually, that's one of the reasons why I started learning Cammy. When I joined Farm's GAF tourney last year, I noticed a lot of chuns and I hate mirrors....so I decided to learn Cammy as an alt. :D

I ended up not fighting a single chun in that tourney anyway though, lol. Got eliminated pretty quick.

Hugbot

cHaotix8 said:
Even Dan? Sorry man but this just isn't true. You may place top 16 or 8 in a tournament but you'll never win or be the best using bottom tier in SSIV.
Not with that attitude, mister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom