• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

_dementia said:
salute.jpg

lol

i didnt know Yeb posted here.....his Gen was fucking beastly.

edit: feeling a bit better today, still a bit salty but i'll get over it. It helped that i smashed some guy today that was saying he's the best player in my town.

hitsugi

Doing Guy's armor cancel U2 is fucking hard.

I knew it was possible but hadn't seen it till a Kiryu match.. maybe U2 has more uses after all.

God's Beard said:
GG, that was my first time fighting Hawk with Duds. I might be crazy, but it looked like I could hit RH off of a blocked condor dash thing. That could be helpful.

yea...Condor Dive is super unsafe on block. You could probably punish it with anything you want.

Cowie said:
Okay guys, I'll bite. Why the fuck is the Bison army out in full force today?

No idea? Today is like any other day, Bison still has not won a major tournament to my knowledge. Maybe that its just that he can be fun to use?

Cowie

stabicron7 said:
No idea? Today is like any other day, Bison still has not won a major tournament to my knowledge. Maybe that its just that he can be fun to use?

Well, It definitely can't be that :lol
<3

But I fought three in a row, I figured something absolutely catastrophic had happened. Just luck of the draw I reckon.

LakeEarth

I want some advice and opinions on Soulless vs Breathless choice based on character. Here are my picks:

Soulless:
Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Sagat - gotta shut down their fireball game
Rose - her fireball game isn't too scary, but she's a character thats easily launched, unlike so many of the cast
Dhalsim - Soulless, there really isn't any situation against dhalsim where he can't just teleport away from Breathless. The only way I can see it being useful is to randomly activate it and hope for a limb.
Seth - again with the anti-fireball game
Dan - questionable, but U2 doesn't work as an anti-air as that guy can re-direct himself away.

Breathless
Blanka - Blanka doesn't launch well, his air normals usually beats antiair launcher, and anything Soulless can punish, so can Breathless. Blanka is always bouncing around, I just find opportunities to hit him with U2.
Zangief - lariat is a free ultra, no need to time it or position it. And most online Zangiefs will jump, which is again a free ultra.
El Fuerte - bastard does not launch in most situations, so I say screw it and go with U2. I think it can punish blocked slams too, and a wall jump is usually a free anti-air ultra.
Guy - if he's running at you when you activate, I don't think he can do the air overhead before the ultra grabs him. Shuts down his air elbow game pretty good too.
Honda - punish non-EX headbutts, whiffed buttslams. U1 can punish fierce headbutts too though.
Vega - through many matches with AZ Greg, I've figured out I like breathless better. Punish wall spikes, anti-air his air slash move, etc.
Makoto - if she's trying to get in and you have U2, I can't think of ANYTHING she can do that wouldn't risk getting hit by the ultra.

Unclear:
Guile - you can't anti-fireball U1 without having a really good read on when your opponent throws out EX sonic booms, but when you're in its good to have to combo into.

Who else has a clear advantageous choice one way or the other?

Hey could anyone offer me some protips on getting used to a fight stick? This is my first one and it almost feels like learning from the beginning all over again. I was only ok at the game but am trying to get better.

Leviathin25 said:
Hey could anyone offer me some protips on getting used to a fight stick? This is my first one and it almost feels like learning from the beginning all over again. I was only ok at the game but am trying to get better.

This should help
don't forget here too

SUPARSTARX

LakeEarth said:
I want some advice and opinions on Soulless vs Breathless choice based on character. Here are my picks:

Soulless:
Rose - her fireball game isn't too scary, but she's a character thats easily launched, unlike so many of the cast
Dhalsim - Soulless, there really isn't any situation against dhalsim where he can't just teleport away from Breathless. The only way I can see it being useful is to randomly activate it and hope for a limb.
Dan - questionable, but U2 doesn't work as an anti-air as that guy can re-direct himself away.

Breathless
Blanka - Blanka doesn't launch well, his air normals usually beats antiair launcher, and anything Soulless can punish, so can Breathless. Blanka is always bouncing around, I just find opportunities to hit him with U2.
Zangief - lariat is a free ultra, no need to time it or position it. And most online Zangiefs will jump, which is again a free ultra.
El Fuerte - bastard does not launch in most situations, so I say screw it and go with U2. I think it can punish blocked slams too, and a wall jump is usually a free anti-air ultra.
Guy - if he's running at you when you activate, I don't think he can do the air overhead before the ultra grabs him. Shuts down his air elbow game pretty good too.
Honda - punish non-EX headbutts, whiffed buttslams. U1 can punish fierce headbutts too though.
Vega - through many matches with AZ Greg, I've figured out I like breathless better. Punish wall spikes, anti-air his air slash move, etc.
Makoto - if she's trying to get in and you have U2, I can't think of ANYTHING she can do that wouldn't risk getting hit by the ultra.

Unclear:
Guile - you can't anti-fireball U1 without having a really good read on when your opponent throws out EX sonic booms, but when you're in its good to have to combo into.

I can tell you either Ultra is fine against Bison.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That was the first time in a long while that I actually made inroads on AZ Greg. Of course, it's not as if I've played him in a long while either. PSN GAF has no Vegas either.

Cowie: That round where your Cammy kept eating kicks had me cracking up. GGs.

TimeKillr

LakeEarth said:

Soulless:

Breathless

Unclear:

Always Breathless.

ALWAYS.

The ONLY situation where Soulless beats Breathless is against shotos/Rose who have EX.

Dhalsim? The second you have Ultra, it shuts down his fireball game completely, and he can't s.fp anymore. I can U2 his s.fps on reaction, and it's way easier to trap them into doing something with Breathless than Soulless.

Against Dan, sure, I guess. But then again it's really not a hard matchup for Abel.

You gotta realize that Breathless is almost as good as Soulless against fireballers: the only situation where Soulless is better is when they have EX, and even then it's good for you, because if they remotely know how to play they'll fish for Breathless with EX fireballs, which just makes them waste meter (which is good for you!)

I realize how you're basically thinking in terms of being able to combo... While that's true, U2 is a constant threat that U1 isn't. When you have U1, basically it'll shut down fireball games, but that's it. With U2, it shuts down non-EX fireball games, footsies, jump-ins, etc. Not to mention that it does more damage than U1 since it's NEVER suspect to DR, and if you absorb a hit before it lands it's free damage for you :)

Against Guile, the trick is to absorb sonic booms and back him into a corner, then get into mid range. You'll get the ultra quickly and all of a sudden he can't throw non-ex sonic booms. The second you have U2, he also can't sweep, and most of his med+ normals have HUGE recovery so if you see one coming out you have all the time in the world to hit your ultra. Seriously... There's no reason to not use U2.

Cowie

Hitokage said:
That was the first time in a long while that I actually made inroads on AZ Greg. Of course, it's not as if I've played him in a long while either. PSN GAF has no Vegas either.

Cowie: That round where your Cammy kept eating kicks had me cracking up. GGs.

Ahaha, I kept thinking.. "THIS is the one I'm going to cannon spike.. I swear it!" but obviously that wasn't happening :lol

ggs all around

LowParry

Hitokage said:
PSN GAF has no Vegas either.

If I had Super for PS3, I'd use my Vega. My 360 is still down so I can't play yet. I don't know what it is, PSN not letting me play games or not.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
TimeKillr said:
Dhalsim? The second you have Ultra, it shuts down his fireball game completely, and he can't s.fp anymore. I can U2 his s.fps on reaction, and it's way easier to trap them into doing something with Breathless than Soulless.
Nah, I think U1 is still better against Sim. You can still shut down the fireball game with U1, and can combo into it as well.

SUPARSTARX

dragonballjoseph said:
And you'd be wrong.
Breathless can punish a ton of stuff out of the blue, pokes, jump ins, devil's reverse, headstomp, scissor kicks.

Soulless can punish whatever Bison can fall into/juggle into from Abel.

Either is fair game. But it's not like Abel needs to really be afraid of Bison in the first place.

SUPARSTARX said:
Breathless can punish a ton of stuff out of the blue, pokes, jump ins, devil's reverse, headstomp, scissor kicks.

Soulless can punish whatever Bison can fall into/juggle into from Abel.

Either is fair game. But it's not like Abel needs to really be afraid of Bison in the first place.
All that stuff you listed stops once Abel gets Ultra. But really, in this match-up, Bison really waits for Abel. And besides, using PP makes jump-ins with Abel's ultra 2 safe.

Finally back after a one week hiatus. It looks like I missed a lot, including that mini PS3 tourney. Hopefully there will be another, I wouldn't want to miss out again. I guess I have some catching up to do.

SUPARSTARX

dragonballjoseph said:
All that stuff you listed stops once Abel gets Ultra. But really, in this match-up, Bison really waits for Abel. And besides, using PP makes jump-ins with Abel's ultra 2 safe.
I wished it was such, but good Abel users with either ultra selected can demolish good Bison users.

USD

Random question that I don't feel like testing out myself: EX Running Bear Grab or Breathless, which one wins?

AZ Greg

GGs to all.

@Hito: Damn, you were going crazy with the pokes. :lol Her st.MP seems to work really good against me as I advance and you step back. I fear that more than her cr.RH. And why you gotta stop me from mixing you up by wake up ex SBK'ing so much? :(

@Cowie: Sorry for laming it out against your Rufus. I usually hate playing keep away but Vega just has no answer for Rufus pressure so I have no choice. :(

@Renta: Damn you for exploiting my weakness of pressing buttons. I ate so many ultras/supers because of that. :lol Is Dhalsim completely vulnerable after his jumping fierce? At least until he hits the ground? Just wondering if I can punish it on hit or block with ultra 2. I realized after the match that I could have punished it with ultra 1. That one might actually be better for that match-up. I really should have sat on the life lead too during some of those matches. There really isn't anything Dhalsim can do to someone sitting on down-back other than chip with fireballs and instant overhead. And to make it even worse for him I can punish the instant overhead with ex wall dive and perhaps the ultras.

I'm around if anyone wants some matches.

USD said:
Random question that I don't feel like testing out myself: EX Running Bear Grab or Breathless, which one wins?

Breathless probably. I don't think the bear grab is fast enough on its throw to beat Breathless.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AZ Greg said:
GGs to all.

@Hito: Damn, you were going crazy with the pokes. :lol Her st.MP seems to work really good against me as I advance and you step back. I fear that more than her cr.RH. And why you gotta stop me from mixing you up by wake up ex SBK'ing so much? :(
I was determined that if I was going to lose it wasn't going to be from wakeup shenanigans, and yeah, I changed my gameplan( and color) after thinking it all over for a while, given that what I was going for before wasn't working at all.

Cowie

AZ Greg said:
@Cowie: Sorry for laming it out against your Rufus. I usually hate playing keep away but Vega just has no answer for Rufus pressure so I have no choice. :(

Oh it's totally cool dude. If it's what you have to do to win, it's definitely what I want to see coming out against me. I had fun even in spite of the 10 straight losses, so it's all good. GGs!

Rocwell

USD said:
Isn't Breathless invulnerable to throws? I know most throws whiff against his charging state and I don't think RBG is an exception. Is it possible to grab him out of his dash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom