• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
AZ Greg said:
@Renta: Damn you for exploiting my weakness of pressing buttons. I ate so many ultras/supers because of that. :lol Is Dhalsim completely vulnerable after his jumping fierce? At least until he hits the ground? Just wondering if I can punish it on hit or block with ultra 2. I realized after the match that I could have punished it with ultra 1. That one might actually be better for that match-up. I really should have sat on the life lead too during some of those matches. There really isn't anything Dhalsim can do to someone sitting on down-back other than chip with fireballs and instant overhead. And to make it even worse for him I can punish the instant overhead with ex wall dive and perhaps the ultras.
Yeah, you can punish Yoga sniper with Ultra 1 now that it hits on the way up like the EX wall dive. I'm not sure, but U2 might be able to? Might be too slow/not enough range? Not quite sure.

Sim is vulnerable just like any other character that does a jumping attack, so it'll get him if your move is fast enough (Honda EX headbutt, Akuma Demon, Ryu Super, Gen Ultra/Super, etc).

I think the Vega matchup is one where I need to adjust my oki game since his options on wakeup are a little different than other characters.

...not even sure why I'm trying to develop a close range Sim oki game at all...lol

Anyway, gg. I need to play you more because whenever I see a Vega in ranked I tend to lose :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Alright. This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm stumped on what they mean. Go easy on me:

Ryu Seventh Normal Trial.

(Player 1 facing right)

-> Crouch MP
-> Crouch MP
-> Crouch HK

Okay, so I get they want a crouch MP. They highlights the first. The second arrow highlights but staying in crouch and mashing MP right after the first doesn't highlight the crouch MP. What is the thing that I'm obviously missing on this? I know it's a "link" (or something like that) but I can't figure out what they want with those arrows. I'm assuming those arrows mean something? Or do I just ignore them?

Also: :lol @ Dan's outfit in these trials. Please tell me this is an outfit for him outside this mode. :lol

TheSeks said:
Alright. This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm stumped on what they mean. Go easy on me:

(Player 1 facing right)

-> Crouch MP
-> Crouch MP
-> Crouch HK

Okay, so I get they want a crouch MP. They highlights the first. The second arrow highlights but staying in crouch and mashing MP right after the first doesn't highlight the crouch MP. What is the thing that I'm obviously missing on this? I know it's a "link" (or something like that) but I can't figure out what they want with those arrows. I'm assuming those arrows mean something? Or do I just ignore them?

Also: :lol @ Dan's outfit in these trials. Please tell me this is an outfit for him outside this mode. :lol

its his alt 1

TheSeks

AkumaHokoru said:
its his alt 1

Huh? I don't get what you mean.

I do the Crouch MP the second arrow highlights. I continue with a Crouch MP and the trial doesn't continue. It doesn't count the second crouch MP despite the fact I'm still crouching.

TheSeks

xero273 said:
He's saying that costume is dan's alternate 1 costume

DryEyeRelief said:

Ohhhh. I wish people would selectively quote instead of quoting the whole post for what they're talking about. Makes it easier to understand. *slaps forehead*

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
I believe in Adon unless I'm fighting against Bison/Guile/Honda/Ryu/Ken and probably various other bad matches i dont know about lol

Ysiadmihi said:
What's bad about FSE? I have been playing Juri a little on the side and like it a lot so far.
So you like wasting your ultra at the character select screen? juri's pressure isnt inescapable in fact its very escapable.

by selecting FSE you give up a guaranteed 40% for a potential 25% (because fse combos get scaled EXTREMELY hard) You also give up her only comboable ultra (you cant combo into FSE activate in any situation and if you could it gets scaled to hell anyway)

juri is also very susceptible to reversals and throws.
My pressure with juri is a nightmare...except if they have a DP i cant apply that pressure because we are going to trade and they are going to get out. then run. any char can run from juri as well. shes poor at chasing. The list goes on and on as to why ultra 2 is better...now here is why ultra 2 sucks

1. startup is atrocious (its blockable after activation)
2. the attack box is EXTREMELY SMALL (her ankle to her thigh is the attack box. that's it. good luck punishing things with it. the comedy part is it has the nerve to have invulnerability the whole way up even though she cant catch airborn opponents with it due to her moving her foot and pulling it in even closer to her body as she rises.)
3. it loses completely to hop kicks (i fought a juri mirror today and blew up his wakeup ultra attempt with a crossup hopkick.)

So. there you have it. juri's ultra's both stink.

TheSeks said:

(Player 1 facing right)

-> Crouch MP
-> Crouch MP
-> Crouch HK

That is a stupid question and you should go home and be a family man.

The arrow means that's the move you have to do next, and it only highlights if you successfully linked or combo'd the move.

TheSeks

dragonballjoseph said:

The arrow means that's the move you have to do next, and it only highlights if you successfully linked or combo'd the move.

That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Guess my link for crouch MP crouch MP isn't "link"ing like I thought it is. *sigh* Back to training mode for me.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TheSeks said:

(Player 1 facing right)

-> Crouch MP
-> Crouch MP
-> Crouch HK

it highlights if you did the right move properly.
clearly, you're doing it wrong.
I highlighted the part you're doing wrong.
because im nice.

TheSeks

Pandaman said:
I highlighted the part you're doing wrong.
because im nice.

Yeah, well, the timing of these suck. Took me a while, but I finally did it.

I can already tell these link trials are going to piss me off as they have a certain "timing" that I can't seem to find too well. *sigh*

STG

TheSeks said:

I can already tell these link trials are going to piss me off as they have a certain "timing" that I can't seem to find too well. *sigh*
look at the health-bar from Dan
when you hit him you see a gold flash moving from left to right, when it's at the end it is time to hit the next button, that can help to improve the timing

Ysiadmihi

Banned
AkumaHokoru said:

Eh I agree with you on U2's faults but I still think FSE is pretty good because of the options it opens up. It would be nice if it wasn't so easy to run away from Juri when it's active though.

Imm0rt4l

TheSeks said:

wait till you get to ryu trial 21

AZ Greg

Hey, when I was mixing it up between the overhead to throw and the overhead to ex wall dive and I'd hit with the ex wall dive, were you trying to poke or throw tech or what? I'm just curious cause that was something I was working on and I'm wondering if it worked like I thought it did.

nycfurby

Adon is so good against rufus. Why did it take GamerBee to expose that?
messiahs are basically worthless against him because he has the glitch that ryu/ken/seth have (meaty low short pressure makes ex messiah whiff)
no meter, you can rush him down all day and catch him with stand fierce to blow up the crouch tech attempts

instant overheads all day on him too, and tk jaguar kicks are too good vs him. instant overhead even blows up the messiah kick (range dependent)
rufus only + in this fight is that he has good ground to air vs adon (stand fierce, low strong) but his air to airs get blown the fuck up.

adon isnt that hard to play..i cant believe his handler/translator said adon is hard to playcause you have to take risks..i disagree..as long as you have good fundamentals hes not hard at all

hes pretty good against abel too..might pick him as a counter char for both of them

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
nycfurby said:
Adon is so good against rufus. Why did it take GamerBee to expose that?
messiahs are basically worthless against him because he has the glitch that ryu/ken/seth have (meaty low short pressure makes ex messiah whiff)
no meter, you can rush him down all day and catch him with stand fierce to blow up the crouch tech attempts

instant overheads all day on him too, and tk jaguar kicks are too good vs him. instant overhead even blows up the messiah kick (range dependent)
rufus only + in this fight is that he has good ground to air vs adon (stand fierce, low strong) but his air to airs get blown the fuck up.

adon isnt that hard to play..i cant believe his handler/translator said adon is hard to playcause you have to take risks..i disagree..as long as you have good fundamentals hes not hard at all

hes pretty good against abel too..might pick him as a counter char for both of them
Hmm, good to know. I was contemplating picking up a secondary to handle Sim's bad matchups like Rufus and Abel, but I don't think I have the time to work on two characters...

By the way, have you ever used meaty yoga flame on a downed Rufus to stop wakeup EX messiah kick? I don't get to fight too many Rufuses, but the other day, I was testing it out against a random Rufus, and it worked fairly well. I'm not sure if I just got lucky or not.

Rentahamster said:
Hmm, good to know. I was contemplating picking up a secondary to handle Sim's bad matchups like Rufus and Abel, but I don't think I have the time to work on two characters...
You know you want to join the Bison army. Fear of Viper, Rufus, and Abel will be a thing of the past.

nycfurby

Rentahamster said:

By the way, have you ever used meaty yoga flame on a downed Rufus to stop wakeup EX messiah kick? I don't get to fight too many Rufuses, but the other day, I was testing it out against a random Rufus, and it worked fairly well. I'm not sure if I just got lucky or not.

havent tried it but I will check it out. I barely play sim vs rufus even tho the matchup got slightly easier in super (just dont fireball too much if he has U2)

dragonballjoseph, bison only beats viper on that list. the other 2 matches can go either way tbh.

AZ Greg said:
Hey, when I was mixing it up between the overhead to throw and the overhead to ex wall dive and I'd hit with the ex wall dive, were you trying to poke or throw tech or what? I'm just curious cause that was something I was working on and I'm wondering if it worked like I thought it did.

i was trying to do both. When I tried to poke, it was a counterhit and when i tried to tech...well I ate too. That's some new fucked up setup u got there man. I ate a lot of counterhits the last few games :lol

Whenever I had a gameplan, u drummed up somethin new I have to deal with.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Location test time, baby! GET HYPE, the arcade version is here! The first location test will be at Akihabara Hey Hirose from July 23rd until July 25th — in order words, this coming weekend. High Tech Sega Avion in Osaka will be having the second location test from July 30th until August 1, and the third test will be from August 6 until August 8 at Plaza Capcom Kichijoji in Tokyo. Sad thing is that I’ll be in Osaka during the first test, but… in Tokyo for the second test, so I’m going to be missing all three rounds. Oh well, I’m sure someone else will be able to pick up the slack!

location01b.jpg

location02b.jpg

nycfurby said:
dragonballjoseph, bison only beats viper on that list. the other 2 matches can go either way tbh.
I think Bison has a slight edge over Rufus provided that his zoning is on point.
But I've never really seen why people say Bison and Abel is pretty even. Roundhouse and stand strong are very effective against Abel and Bison can also get out of Abel's mix-ups pretty easily. I've always seen it as 6-4 in Bison's favor.

omg I'm excited with anticipation looking at those Arcade screenies...

I'm with you, Renta. Still shopping around for a suitable alt for the tougher 'Sim matchups. Not too much luck as yet, though. ;\

nycfurby

dragonballjoseph said:
I think Bison has a slight edge over Rufus provided that his zoning is on point.
But I've never really seen why people say Bison and Abel is pretty even. Roundhouse and stand strong are very effective against Abel and Bison can also get out of Abel's mix-ups pretty easily. I've always seen it as 6-4 in Bison's favor.
while those moves are great against abel, its only 1 hit. abel can take a risk with focus or cod to blow those up
also if you try to escape from abel you get option selected ultra for free. this goes for PC and teleport. i honestly wish the matchup was in bisons favor but from my experience (which is watching min/andre play against chris/rico) it looks even to me

the bison vs rufus stuff is debateable. could go either way to be honest. rufus with no meter and in corner = bison owns his soul for free
bison knocked down and forced to lose his charge cause he got thrown or something like that + rufus ultra 1 = rufus wins

also bison has trouble dealing with antiair from above his stand hk hitbox height (j. strong while good cant be used everytime). just look at andyocr vs justin gf's at super ncr for a good example

Loving those Arcade SSF4 pics. I hope we can use our IC cards from SF4 without problems..cause I still have my SF4 japanese card!!!!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
nycfurby said:
havent tried it but I will check it out. I barely play sim vs rufus even tho the matchup got slightly easier in super (just dont fireball too much if he has U2)

I just got around to testing it, but it doesn't really work as a meaty since you gotta do it far away to be effective. Too close, and EX messiah still wins. Far enough away, flame wins, but it's too far to contact Rufus and put him into block stun, so if he's smart, he'd just jump out and dive kick.

Yeah, and wakeup ultra 2 would beat it out, anyway.

I think the Rufus I played just wasn't expecting me to do that, which is why he got hit with it so often.

Probably good to use very very sparingly to get in an opponent's head, but kinda useless after that. Especially if Rufus got ultra 2.

edit: hmm, actually, you can be close enough to just touch rufus with the flame if he blocks, while still being able to stuff EX messiah on wakeup. The spacing has to be exact, though...gotta juuuust touch Rufus with the very edge of the yoga flame for it to stop both EX Messiah, or jump.

Back throw, RH slide, medium yoga flame, puts you at just the right distance for a meaty flame, but you'll trade with EX messiah every time...

edit 2: Okay, back throw, forward dash, walk forward for just a bit, light, medium, or EX flame will put you at the right distance where Rufus can't do anything (except for ultra 2).

edit 3: Horribly unsafe, but if you are playing an EX messiah-happy Rufus, back throw, dash, fierce yoga flame will always stuff his EX messiah wakeup attempt. Caution: only use once a year :lol

simtmb

Just managed to pull myself out of playing rank before. Played for a couple of hours and lost a ton in very stupid/ridiculous ways.

I'm leaning towards complete hate for this game :lol

I dunno though, i completely love it, then play some online and get absolutely furious. Not a matter whether i win or lose, just some of the ways that i lose drive me completely nuts.

Might give it another go tonight, which could be my final session for a long while.

Oichi said:
Location test time, baby! GET HYPE, the arcade version is here! The first location test will be at Akihabara Hey Hirose from July 23rd until July 25th — in order words, this coming weekend. High Tech Sega Avion in Osaka will be having the second location test from July 30th until August 1, and the third test will be from August 6 until August 8 at Plaza Capcom Kichijoji in Tokyo. Sad thing is that I’ll be in Osaka during the first test, but… in Tokyo for the second test, so I’m going to be missing all three rounds. Oh well, I’m sure someone else will be able to pick up the slack!

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/images/location01b.jpg

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/images/location02b.jpg
will the arcade version be a carbon copy of the retail release or are there any tweaks (beyond the obvious cosmetic and tracking ones)?

Oichi said:

You forgot to post a link to your website! :p

http://www.versuscity.net/2010/07/20/super-street-fighter-4-location-test-news/

I hope Capcom does some balancing for arcade release.

kiryogi

Banned
EraldoCoil said:
Shout outs to Kiry and Roc, just because I haven't seen them in a while and I miss them.

<3

It seems like late night is dead or something D: I hop on to play and see nobody. Then I go play Xenoblade or something :/

If there were no balancing tweaks, core game changes, or anything else not patchworthy added, then why would they do loke tests? If it were plain jane console SSF4 plopped on an arcade board, wouldnt the home version be one big loke test, with maybe a LITTLE testing done to make sure everything ported over correctly?

TheSeks

STG said:
look at the health-bar from Dan
when you hit him you see a gold flash moving from left to right, when it's at the end it is time to hit the next button, that can help to improve the timing

I see what you're talking about and "linked" from it maybe once twenty times so far. Like I said: The timing for these are stupid hard. I'm going to be pissed just from doing these. I go by animation or thinking "okay, the attack came out, now to enter the next command" and it's either too quick (thereby making the attack not count as it isn't what they're looking for) or Dan blocks (thereby too late).

Ugh.

Imm0rt4l said:
wait till you get to ryu trial 21

Don't even get me started on that. Having to Focus Attack Disconnect a move into a link. :|

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
dragonballjoseph said:

:lol bit harsh

dont give up seks, it doesn't take long before the timing is part of muscle memory and the payoff is great when you start winning matches because you are a better player.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
simtmb said:
Just managed to pull myself out of playing rank before. Played for a couple of hours and lost a ton in very stupid/ridiculous ways.

I'm leaning towards complete hate for this game :lol

I dunno though, i completely love it, then play some online and get absolutely furious. Not a matter whether i win or lose, just some of the ways that i lose drive me completely nuts.

Might give it another go tonight, which could be my final session for a long while.
Don't play ranked if you don't have your zen on.

bistromathics said:
:lol bit harsh
2h36kra.gif

People here complain a lot with ranked, but I always meet some great players there. Just did 25 matches with this Cody player who really used his tools well. Stood up nicely against my Cody, Sakura, and Chun
Bison versus Cody is just horrid.

If only Cody had an EX SBK, he'd be one of the best characters in the game. Great damage, great stun, great pokes, great frame traps, probably the best anti-airs in the game.
But he's pretty easy to use, so he'd worse than vanilla Sagat.
And I used to complain that his second ultra doesn't always juggle, but I now realize if it did, the his first ultra would be useless. :lol

And on another note, just for GAF, I beat at 8k+ BP Blanka just using Sakura's down fierce. Wish I saved the replay for you all.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
dragonballjoseph said:
And on another note, just for GAF, I beat at 8k+ BP Blanka just using Sakura's down fierce. Wish I saved the replay for you all.

You stuff the blanka ball with sakura's cr. hp? or just block it and cr.hp everything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom