• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2San

Hitokage said:
2San: Manage expectations better.
Yeah, I'm expecting a long road a head.
ShinAmano said:
Once you get the pad just try running through the trials...but don't worry about difficulty just yet as you will be fighting your nephew.

My buddies has twins that come over and SF is pretty much the only game I have that they can jump into and have fun with...they will play for hours while we watch and laugh.
The problem is, I don't feel like buying 2 SF4fightpads(I already have 4 "standard" controllers as is). Doesn't seem fair if one has a fightpad. :\ Not really worried about the difficulty, was just surprised that I had a lot of trouble with normal NPC's(normal normally means piss easy).

2San said:
So haven't played SF in ages(when I played it was pretty casual). Bought SSF4(my nephew is staying at my house we like playing fighters) getting the SF4pad tomorrow. From the little I have played the game is hard. :| And the XBOX 360 controller is pretty much worthless. So any tips on starting? I'm having a hard time even beating the game on normal. >__> I'm leaning towards Ibuki. So I'm even having trouble linking up simple combo's that involve crouching and attacks that have the dragon punch motion(am I bad or is it the 360 controller?). I can do pretty much anything if it isn't in a combo though.

The game isn't that hard although you have picked a fairly difficult character to learn but then again target combos are fun. Question though, have you tried any of the trials?
Because trying them and looking them up on youtube are a good way to understand how the combo's work. Other than that you just need to hit training mode and check out forums like Srk and check out eventhubs.com too.

2San

Solid_Rain said:
The game isn't that hard although you have picked a fairly difficult character to learn but then again target combos are fun. Question though, have you tried any of the trials?
Because trying them and looking them up on youtube are a good way to understand how the combo's work. Other than that you just need to hit training mode and check out forums like Srk and check out eventhubs.com too.
Yeah I have tried a few trials I can do the majority(of Ibuki's), but when I get it. It seems to be stroke of luck rather than me putting in the proper inputs. What would an easy character be, to get into? I'm not feeling the shouto characters though.

2San said:
Yeah I have tried a few trials I can do the majority(of Ibuki's), but when I get it. It seems to be stroke of luck rather than me putting in the proper inputs. What would an easy character be, to get into? I'm not feeling the shouto characters though.

I don't want to scare you away from Ibuki but characters like her maybe require a bit more time to fully master than some of the the others. But you could try out using Juri & Cody as characters who are easier to get into.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Anyone wanna play?

I'm looking at you spirit of jazz, I've bought you chocolates and flowers as a testament of my regret over being unable to play way you yesterday.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corky said:
say what, dash pinwheel should do the trick shouldnt it?
What's the motion for pinwheel? Is it half circle forward?

~Devil Trigger~ said:
wait wait wait

Juri CANT punish Blanka ball on block????
no she cant. welcome to my nightmare
Corky said:
say what, dash pinwheel should do the trick shouldnt it?
dash pinwheel doesnt work her dash has too much recovery if she does get blanka it would be for 1 hit and likely wouldnt knockdown which then means she eats another blanka ball while recovering from said pinwheel.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yoshi

I'm not really sure xD, haven't played juri at all

AkumaHokoru said:

dash pinwheel doesnt work her dash has too much recovery if she does get blanka it would be for 1 hit and likely wouldnt knockdown which then means she eats another blanka ball while recovering from said pinwheel.

Oh I see, guess I'm rolling with blanka each time I get one of those jumpingbackwardstheentiremotherfuckinggamedoingthatstupidassairkickeverytimeigetclose- dudes.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
AkumaHokoru said:

Wow, just out of the blue i decided to pick up Juri, and bam! Blanka gets even more annoying

Ashkeloth

Ken Masters said:
Because this game is balanced like shit, create a god like character practically no weakness, and they wonder why 99% of players pick the same character. It just defeats the purpose of a fighting game

Personally, I think that this game is not particularly well balanced, also.

Some characters take a hell of a lot more effort get good with, and even more effort to actually win with than other characters, and in some cases, unless one of the players is amazing and the other is downright terrible, some matchups are extremely difficult for some characters.

I think, though, that my personal problem with this game, is not the character balance, as much as it is the engine itself. With the style of fighting game that Street Fighter is, it just plain and simply does not work, due to the way some of the moves were designed in older, different game engines.

This game is much slower than games like the Alpha series and Street Fighter III, and the jumps are much more floaty. The recovery time on a lot of moves is also a lot longer than the older Street Fighter games.

Back in the older games, to catch a jump in with a shoryuken you had to be either waiting for it, or have lightning fast reflexes and hands. In this game, you have at least 2 or 3 seconds to mash out that input after the opponent leaves the ground, and combined with the oh-so-joyous shortcut system that this game has in it, it essentially makes the one move, along with any characters that use it, ridiculous to fight, as you always have to consider the at some point in the match, they are going to throw out a shoryuken and your entire rushdown game will be killed.

What this basically means for any sort of rushdown character, is that their offense is killed. Try playing Fei Long when you miss one rekka or 3 frame link, and you eat a dragon punch in the face, possibly even sometimes followed up by an ultra since Capcom decided to allow one of the most easy to connect moves in the game to combo into ultra in the easiest way imaginable.

Hell, to bring up Makoto again - one of the main reasons why she is so terrible in this game outside is nerfs to her Karakusa grab and its range, is that she is a pure rushdown character in a defensively built engine. You try to keep any sort of pressure on in this game, and you bet you're going to get a random Ball/Headbutt/Uppercut. Your rushdown is killed instantly, and you lose a good chunk of her mediocre health.

I know a lot of people will probably see this as a rant, so I'll give this post a point:

If you were given the reigns of the next main street fighter game, what changes would you make to the overall engine?

I personally would:

• Speed it up
  • Replace focus attacks with parries from Street Fighter 3
  • Make throw tech timing much longer, similar to Blazblue when you try to perform a throw in the middle of a combo
  • Return to 2D

Still, until that style of Street Fighter exists, I think I'm gonna dump SSF4, and wait for BB:CS to release as I'm just plain and simply not able to have fun with it using that characters that I like the most, with the playstyle I like the most, and it's not even due to an overall lack of skill or trying as much as it is the way the game was inherently developed.

Also:

DryEyeRelief said:
1. approach
2. bait opponent by blocking
3. punish DP
4. ???
5. profit

Yeah, simple enough in theory, but online lag coupled with repeated mashed lp SRKs is just a complete pain in the ass, and that's not even mentioning the fact that some players like to mix it up with throws, and jabs, and the characters that I play usually lose in a poking war.

I swear I post 5x the amount of average words per post in this thread. Sorry if I piss anyone off with this wall of text.

Corky said:
Yoshi

I'm not really sure xD, haven't played juri at all

Oh I see, guess I'm rolling with blanka each time I get one of those jumpingbackwardstheentiremotherfuckinggamedoingthatstupidassairkickeverytimeigetclose- dudes.
correct

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AkumaHokoru said:
Forward dash lk sempusha works at half screen and leaves you at +1.

Pepto

Banned
Met my first ragequitter. :D

First beat his Ryu. Then he counters my T.Hawk with the his T.Hawk. He got his ass handed to him and disconnects. Maybe I should try some non-ranked matches...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AkumaHokoru said:
tested it on what? an ai dummy?
Training mode recording. Blanka ball to hold back for 4~5 seconds so it blocks at the earliest moment. +1 on hit is from frame data. Admittedly, it probably only worked because it ended up being near the corner. Still, it's a situation where it works.

Hitokage said:
Training mode recording. Blanka ball to hold back for 4~5 seconds so it blocks at the earliest moment. +1 is from frame data. Admittedly, it probably only worked because it ended up being near the corner. Still, it's a situation where it works.
in the corner everyone has a punish on bb. when blanka is sitting at the edge of the screen and looking at you juri cant do a fucking thing mid screen fighting against blanka juri gets outpoked period.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
AkumaHokoru said:
now do you understand why i hate him so much? juri cant do SHIT against blanka.

Doing that counter vs Blanka online is near-impossible with the input delay.

If I was to fix Juri in a balance patch- what I'd do is make RH Senpusha punish Blanka Balls for 1-2 hits and slightly more damage then Blanka gets chip on the balls, and make her Ultra II easy mode to connect off EX Dive Kicks.

BTW sorry for disconnecting in GAFchat earlier, storm KOed me.

Ashkeloth said:
Yeah, simple enough in theory, but online lag coupled with repeated mashed lp SRKs is just a complete pain in the ass, and that's not even mentioning the fact that some players like to mix it up with throws, and jabs, and the characters that I play usually lose in a poking war.

I swear I post 5x the amount of average words per post in this thread. Sorry if I piss anyone off with this wall of text.

There's a lot I can say about your post, but if you think characters are unbalanced because they have the ability to choose between a dragon punch and a throw
one of fei long's basic mixups is to perform a dragon punch or a throw after closing range with a chicken wing
, then it is probably best to return the game.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AkumaHokoru said:
in the corner everyone has a punish on bb. when blanka is sitting at the edge of the screen and looking at you juri cant do a fucking thing mid screen fighting against blanka juri gets outpoked period.
Ran it again, and the corner doesn't matter. You can be mid-stage and being about a halfscreen away is enough. Fullscreen though, yeah, it doesn't work.

arstal said:
Doing that counter vs Blanka online is near-impossible with the input delay.

If I was to fix Juri in a balance patch- what I'd do is make RH Senpusha punish Blanka Balls for 1-2 hits and slightly more damage then Blanka gets chip on the balls, and make her Ultra II easy mode to connect off EX Dive Kicks.

BTW sorry for disconnecting in GAFchat earlier, storm KOed me.

well her u2 is already pretty easy mode once you understand the timing on it.
what I would fix is her counter for 1 i have never seen a counter with 2 gaps in its activation period. most counters are immediately active. juri's counter has a ton of start up and then doesnt actively counter until she starts to extend her arm. THEN as she's extending her arm there is a period where you can hit her and then it becomes active again as she streteches then retracts. once her elbow is bent again you can once again hit her(but then the counter is over) the EX version acts like every other counter in the game normally does

Dexa

Banned
from srk front page:
"According to our sources, Capcom will make a Capcom vs. Namco game using the Street Fighter IV engine and Namco Bandai will create Namco vs. Capcom with the Tekken 6 engine. This means that each game will play and look like whichever company is creating it. Think hadoukens, Ultra Combos, and 2.5D presentation on the Capcom side and three dimensional movement, in-depth move lists, and most likely, a playable panda on the Namco side. Ono is rumored to produce the Capcom game, and we're guessing that Harada will handle the Namco end of things."

:O

Hitokage said:
Ran it again, and the corner doesn't matter. You can be mid-stage and being about a halfscreen away is enough. Fullscreen though, yeah, it doesn't work.
thats still half screen. from half screen if the blanka does a blankaball he is asking to get punished on block. thats hop throw mixup range.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AkumaHokoru said:
what I would fix is her counter for 1 i have never seen a counter with 2 gaps in its activation period. most counters are immediately active. juri's counter has a ton of start up and then doesnt actively counter until she starts to extend her arm. THEN as she's extending her arm there is a period where you can hit her and then it becomes active again as she streteches then retracts. once her elbow is bent again you can once again hit her(but then the counter is over) the EX version acts like every other counter in the game normally does
Probably hitbox weirdness and not the counter itself, unless there's a glitch going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ss6lUHL1is

Threi

notag
AkumaHokoru said:
thats still half screen. from half screen if the blanka does a blankaball he is asking to get punished on block. thats hop throw mixup range.
so...blankaballs aren't the problem in the matchup?

I could totally see that working. NvC to take the Asian Arcade market and usurp T6BR, while CvN corners the console/worldwide space ala SF4.

Degen

Pepto said:
Met my first ragequitter. :D

First beat his Ryu. Then he counters my T.Hawk with the his T.Hawk. He got his ass handed to him and disconnects. Maybe I should try some non-ranked matches...
NO. We Hawks are the game's primary defense against the shoto epidemic. Without us they'll take over completely.
For the condors of the air. For the divers of the sea. We can't stop until we clown 'em all.

Threi said:
so...blankaballs aren't the problem in the matchup?
big part of it. he can ball all day on her and there isnt much she can do to outright stop it unless you are willing to take a ton of damage on a guess. not only do you have to guess but you have to time it.

vexvegaz

hey guys..sorry to be asking this again but my last post got buried during the daigo match and never got an answer.

i think i may have hit my ceiling as far as this game goes. for the life of me i cant seem to follow the game frame by frame like many of you guys can. does anyone have any tips on slowing the game down a bit? i can perform many of the combos in trial mode 9 outta 10 but when it comes to putting it in use during match i find myself getting a bit too excited and my execution suffers severely. am i at the point where i just simply dont have the hand eye coordination to be able to be "tournament level" good? which i can accept if thats the case but if its something i can work on id be willing to put the time n effort to reach that goal.

PS. any tips on how to get better with spacing?

EDIT: i main akuma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom