• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0est

vexvegaz said:
hey guys..sorry to be asking this again but my last post got buried during the daigo match and never got an answer.

i think i may have hit my ceiling as far as this game goes. for the life of me i cant seem to follow the game frame by frame like many of you guys can. does anyone have any tips on slowing the game down a bit? i can perform many of the combos in trial mode 9 outta 10 but when it comes to putting it in use during match i find myself getting a bit too excited and my execution suffers severely. am i at the point where i just simply dont have the hand eye coordination to be able to be "tournament level" good? which i can accept if thats the case but if its something i can work on id be willing to put the time n effort to reach that goal.

PS. any tips on how to get better with spacing?

EDIT: i main akuma

First of all, I wouldn't rely on using any of Akuma's trial mode combos because they aren't very practical. Here's a basic guide for Akuma.

Basic Combos:
Starters(aka hit confirms.) They give you enough time to decide whether you are hitting your opponent or not before you go into your bread and butter combos and are mostly safe on block. For Akuma, only lp ->lk/ lk->lp blockstrings are safe against all characters, all other blockstrings can be reversal'd by some characters. A list of hit confirms(from least to most difficult)

c.lp, c.lp, c.lp
c.lk, c.lp, c.lk
c.lk, c.lp, c.mp(unsafe)
c.lp, c.lp, c.mp(unsafe)
c.lp, s.hp(very unsafe)

As an added note, you can start all of these hit-confirms with a j.hp, j.hk, or Demon Flip kick which also stand a crouching opponent up(important later).

Bread and butter combos(aka BnB):
This is where you generate most of your damage. Akuma's BnB's are some of the most damaging in the game, but are somewhat execution heavy.

This combo only works if your opponent is standing:
(starter)lk Tatsu, hp Shoryuken

Use these combos when your opponent is crouching:
(starter ending with c.mp/s.hp) (Hadouken or EX Hadouken)
(starter ending with c.mp/s.hp)EX Tatsu

Advanced Combos:
These combos are used less frequently and are important for punishing your opponent for mistakes that they make.

s.hp, hp Hadouken, FADC, s.hp, lk Tatsu, (hp Shoryuken or c.lk)
(opponent in the corner) j.hp, s.hp, EX Tatsu, (Shoryuken or EX Shoryuken)
(opponent in the corner) (starter ending with c.mp/s.hp)EX Hadouken, (hp. Shoryuken or EX Shoryuken)

Advanced Tactics:

Vortex:
Vortex refers to Akuma's wakeup pressure on opponents after an untechable knockdown(UKD). An UKD is a state where your opponent cannot get up quickly by tapping the attack buttons. Moves that Akuma has which lead to UKD's are as follows:

c.hk
Demon Flip palm
Demon Flip throw
foward and back throw
Superand
Both Ultra's

To fully understand the vortex, you have to understand how to do safejumps on wakeup. A safejump is a jump in attack, after an untechable knockdown, which cannot be punished or escaped from under most circumstances by your opponent (Characters with teleports can escape, and lot of ultras, and a few EX moves can punish this) To learn the timings for these, go into training mode and VS. Ryu, set him to constantly spam mp. Shoryuken. Sweep him, then jump in and use j.mk. If you are hit by the Shoryuken, you are jumping in too late, if you land without hitting Ryu, you are jumping in too early. Viable safejump attacks for Akuma include, j.lk, j.mk, j.hk, DF palm, and DF, kick.

Now that you know safejumps, you can now move on to mixups. Mixups are attacks which are meant to confuse your opponents into either blocking the wrong way, attacking at the wrong time, or blocking for too long. Mixups can be split into three major categories, high/low mixups, crossups, and throws.

High/low mixups are attacks which forces an opponent to block high followed quickly by an attack which must be blocked low. If unblocked, you can continue into a combo.
Crossups are attacks which must be blocked in the direction opposite of the way your character is facing. If unblocked you can continue into a combo.
An empty jump throw is a tactic in which you jump in on your opponent without using an attack and throwing them. This leads to an UKD, which can then be followed up with more wakeup pressure.
A tick throw is a block string which is ended prematurely and followed up with a throw. This also leads to an UKD, which can then be followed up with more wakeup pressure.
Akuma also has a command throw, demon flip throw, which can also be thrown in the mix to catch people who are blocking your safejumps reliably. This also leads to a UKD

For Akuma, a very important combo comes into play here:
(starter)lk Tatsu, c.hk
This allows you to combo into an UKD, which you can then continue the wakeup pressure.

All of these techniques put together,UKD's, safejump pressure on wakeup, and mixups on wakeup, result in what is referred to as the Vortex.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Kaako said:
How do I attain Nirvana Yomi, Panda sensei?
Be moe~ my friend.

2ihlbup.png

Fullscreen jumpback ultra.
i saw everything.

Cowie said:
I sometimes feel like that. My reactions aren't great, but people tend to not call my bluff on it, so I appreciate what U2 buys me there. I'm still messing around with it a lot though, because I honestly haven't played this game/Rufus in this game enough to feel like I know everything I want to know. But I definitely agree that when I get U2 I get sucked into just trying to land it.. I think my love for getting ultras off is why I'm a Rufus player in the first place, so completely dropping my gameplan because of that stupid hangup causes me a lot of trouble, lol.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I think that in certain matchups where fireballs are a problem, I'll use it just for the bluff factor as you said. Secretly I never intend on landing it and you could probably throw fireballs for free lol without a punish, but hell.

Just the way I play SF is, and has always been, controlling the match and pace and thinking ahead. I have good reaction with Anti-airs, and things like that, but the way I play Rufus is rush now, ask questions later. To me, this ultra makes me play totally different Rufus. I don't like it.

And serious talk. The game is young, honestly I don't see U2 being as viable at high level. Yeah, Ricky landed it a couple times on Daigo, but Daigo could have just as easily baited it and flew out of there with an air hurricane (Ricky landed it on a jump in). Likewise, the ultra is a double edged sword. You can just as easily be baited into throwing it out there and making a huge mistake. Just like a Shoryuken, you are taking a gamble sometimes trying to bait stuff. Except, when you miss a Shoryuken that's a normal thing, when you miss that Rufus ultra, it's a total embarassment (IE, just watch Justin vs. Gamerbee or Vangief) and a total waste when that could have been a seriously damaging U1.

Look at Dudley. Sure, that Ultra that goes through fireballs is great, but most of the times I think Dudley players would rather have the corkscrew cross and it's amazing ability to be comboed off of like anything, and sick damage output. It's a choice, basically, because both Ultras in Rufus case are very good. It depends on the player, for me I'm sticking with U1 for the time being, and focusing on strenghting my core Rufus game.

vexvegaz

g0est said:
First of all, I wouldn't rely on using any of Akuma's trial mode combos because they aren't very practical. Here's a basic guide for Akuma.

Basic Combos:
Starters(aka hit confirms.) They give you enough time to decide whether you are hitting your opponent or not before you go into your bread and butter combos and are mostly safe on block. For Akuma, only lp ->lk/ lk->lp blockstrings are safe against all characters, all other blockstrings can be reversal'd by some characters. A list of hit confirms(from least to most difficult)

c.lp, c.lp, c.lp
c.lk, c.lp, c.lk
c.lk, c.lp, c.mp(unsafe)
c.lp, c.lp, c.mp(unsafe)
c.lp, s.hp(very unsafe)

As an added note, you can start all of these hit-confirms with a j.hp, j.hk, or Demon Flip kick which also stand a crouching opponent up(important later).

Bread and butter combos(aka BnB):
This is where you generate most of your damage. Akuma's BnB's are some of the most damaging in the game, but are somewhat execution heavy.

This combo only works if your opponent is standing:
(starter)lk Tatsu, hp Shoryuken

Use these combos when your opponent is crouching:
(starter ending with c.mp/s.hp) (Hadouken or EX Hadouken)
(starter ending with c.mp/s.hp)EX Tatsu

Advanced Combos:
These combos are used less frequently and are important for punishing your opponent for mistakes that they make.

s.hp, hp Hadouken, FADC, s.hp, lk Tatsu, (hp Shoryuken or c.lk)
(opponent in the corner) j.hp, s.hp, EX Tatsu, (Shoryuken or EX Shoryuken)
(opponent in the corner) (starter ending with c.mp/s.hp)EX Hadouken, (hp. Shoryuken or EX Shoryuken)

Advanced Tactics:

Vortex:
Vortex refers to Akuma's wakeup pressure on opponents after an untechable knockdown(UKD). An UKD is a state where your opponent cannot get up quickly by tapping the attack buttons. Moves that Akuma has which lead to UKD's are as follows:

c.hk
Demon Flip palm
Demon Flip throw
foward and back throw
Superand
Both Ultra's

To fully understand the vortex, you have to understand how to do safejumps on wakeup. A safejump is a jump in attack, after an untechable knockdown, which cannot be punished or escaped from under most circumstances by your opponent (Characters with teleports can escape, and lot of ultras, and a few EX moves can punish this) To learn the timings for these, go into training mode and VS. Ryu, set him to constantly spam mp. Shoryuken. Sweep him, then jump in and use j.mk. If you are hit by the Shoryuken, you are jumping in too late, if you land without hitting Ryu, you are jumping in too early. Viable safejump attacks for Akuma include, j.lk, j.mk, j.hk, DF palm, and DF, kick.

Now that you know safejumps, you can now move on to mixups. Mixups are attacks which are meant to confuse your opponents into either blocking the wrong way, attacking at the wrong time, or blocking for too long. Mixups can be split into three major categories, high/low mixups, crossups, and throws.

High/low mixups are attacks which forces an opponent to block high followed quickly by an attack which must be blocked low. If unblocked, you can continue into a combo.
Crossups are attacks which must be blocked in the direction opposite of the way your character is facing. If unblocked you can continue into a combo.
An empty jump throw is a tactic in which you jump in on your opponent without using an attack and throwing them. This leads to an UKD, which can then be followed up with more wakeup pressure.
A tick throw is a block string which is ended prematurely and followed up with a throw. This also leads to an UKD, which can then be followed up with more wakeup pressure.
Akuma also has a command throw, demon flip throw, which can also be thrown in the mix to catch people who are blocking your safejumps reliably. This also leads to a UKD

For Akuma, a very important combo comes into play here:
(starter)lk Tatsu, c.hk
This allows you to combo into an UKD, which you can then continue the wakeup pressure.

All of these techniques put together,UKD's, safejump pressure on wakeup, and mixups on wakeup, result in what is referred to as the Vortex.

wow. thanks for taking the time to type this mini-tutorial. you answered many questions i have but afraid to ask. i will practice these later on tonight when the son hits the sac.

again, thank you and the many others who replied to my post, much appreciated :)

Arpharmd B said:
And serious talk. The game is young, honestly I don't see U2 being as viable at high level. Yeah, Ricky landed it a couple times on Daigo, but Daigo could have just as easily baited it and flew out of there with an air hurricane (Ricky landed it on a jump in). Likewise, the ultra is a double edged sword. You can just as easily be baited into throwing it out there and making a huge mistake. Just like a Shoryuken, you are taking a gamble sometimes trying to bait stuff. Except, when you miss a Shoryuken that's a normal thing, when you miss that Rufus ultra, it's a total embarassment (IE, just watch Justin vs. Gamerbee or Vangief) and a total waste when that could have been a seriously damaging U1.

Keep in mind, just because YOU dont like it doesnt mean its not viable or will be used at higher levels. Everyone has different play styles and preferences. If you had said "I dont think metsu shoryuken will be used at high levels" then i would be more likely to believe you, but there are a lot of top level players who not only have the reactions to properly utilise U2, but they also use it as a mind game. Yeah you could use U1 against bison or juri or guy or vega, but U2's air vacuum and utility easily restricts a lot of peoples gameplans. Hell, thats why I still use Bison's U1, because i am so confident that i can catch jumpers with it that I dont want to use U2. Yes U2 is arguably better, but if i can keep my opponents on the ground and try to control the game then thats how I roll

SupaNaab

New to Viper heres my problem:
My goto punish with 1 meter is [st. or cr. HP , EX Seismo, SJC xx HK BK] I know that she can follow up with Ultra or HP TK in the corner. I do all of that just fine in the corner. My problem is that when an opponent is BK'd into mid screen they fly too far and the Ultra is always out of range. Should I be using a specific BK? Does it only work if EX Seismo is the opener? I can't seem to figure it out :\

I cannot perform FFF consistently enough at the moment so I've replaced it with st. or cr. HP while I focus on understanding her core moveset better. I really don't find this hard whatsoever just inconsistent at the moment.

One more thing. Often times Ill use [cr. mp/mk, TK Cancel, EX Seismo etc] Is this actually considered a frame trap? Is it safe enough to keep using? :| It definitely seems to beat out anyone trying to mash or tech throws.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
from the ComicCon thread

Dizzle24 said:
Watchig G4 Attack of The Show and they just announced that it's Namco vs Capcom. Said they will use street fighter 4 engine for one version, Tekken 6 engine for the other version...so 2 games?...

oh lord!!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
~Devil Trigger~ said:
im kinda affraid the Fighting Game Devs are saturating the market a bit, dunno when this is gonna come out but...

I have similar concerns. I dont want history to repeat itself.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
im kinda affraid the Fighting Game Devs are saturating the market a bit, dunno when this is gonna come out but...

I wonder if the Namco vs Capcom version is actually the Tekken 7 game that was announced earlier.

You're definitely right if the games are completely different.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Like I said, T6BR won't be king of the arcades forever, so NvC to fill that void in east Asian territories and CvN for the console/worldwide market.

I doubt they'll launch at the same time.

XenoRaven

Watchig G4 Attack of The Show and they just announced that it's Namco vs Capcom. Said they will use street fighter 4 engine for one version, Tekken 6 engine for the other version...so 2 games?...
Street Fighter EX4!?

g0est

vexvegaz said:
wow. thanks for taking the time to type this mini-tutorial. you answered many questions i have but afraid to ask. i will practice these later on tonight when the son hits the sac.

again, thank you and the many others who replied to my post, much appreciated :)

I forgot a few things with my mini-tutorial.

Another easy way to get a safe UKD:
(Opponent should be standing)c.lp, s.lp, c.lk

Option Selects(OS):
An option select is when you enter inputs for two different moves which cover multiple situations.
For Akuma, the essential ones to learn are:

(c.lp+mp) If your opponent blocks, a c.lk comes out, if your opponent tries to throw, you tech the throw automatically
(j.hk~lp shoryuken)Used to catch certain reversals and some backdashes out of jump ins.
(DF palm~ground throw) Used to catch people who backdash out of jump ins
(j.hk~hk Tatsu) Used to catch people who backdash or teleport out of jump ins

"~ means to immediately input the next sequence of moves after you input the first."

After a DF throw and forward+throw, dash forward twice as fast as possible and you can either:

mk DF kick safejump
hk DF kick crossup on big characters
mk DF palm OS
hk DF palm OS
j.HK
j.mk crossup (if it hits, combo into sweep)
j.hk Tatsu crossup( if it hits, follow up with a sweep)

I just gave 49 cents to Sony and Capcom to change my PSN avatar to a picture of Q

3S premium avs are on PSN
what is this i don't even

can i have the game instead?

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah the whole "2 games at the same time" thing sounds kinda unbelievable to me.

Especially when you have the two biggest fighting game companies both competing against each other and themselves simultaneously. From a game standpoint it seems brilliant, but from a business standpoint it seems utterly suicidal

LowParry

Onion_Relish said:
Especially when you have the two biggest fighting game companies both competing against each other and themselves simultaneously. From a game standpoint it seems brilliant, but from a business standpoint it seems utterly suicidal

How exactly is Namco and Capcom at each others throats in terms of business? They both strive to have the fighting community alive and doing a pretty damn good job of it.

Onion_Relish said:
Namco owns the arcade market and capcom owns the home console one. They wouldn't be directly competing.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Lost Fragment said:
Yeah the whole "2 games at the same time" thing sounds kinda unbelievable to me.

Who says they would come out at the same time? That's not how it happened with what Capcom and SNK did with their crossover games.

:lol Might as well stick this in here too

abelking.jpg

I really think it would work quite well if you remove the projectiles - maybe they should only be viable as a close palm thrust or something - and obviously some characters would fit better than others.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
me and seph played hak vs viper.
'course he blew me away in the long term, BUT I BEAT HIM THE FIRST GAME. BEST OF 5 ROUNDS. ARGH, I COULD HAVE BEEN A CONTENDER!

gg's viper man, you're a frightening dude in the corner and at fullscreen. :lol

Pandaman said:
me and seph played hak vs viper.
'course he blew me away in the long term, BUT I BEAT HIM THE FIRST GAME. BEST OF 5 ROUNDS. ARGH, I COULD HAVE BEEN A CONTENDER!

gg's viper man, you're a frightening dude in the corner and at fullscreen. :lol

ggs that was pretty scary how panda's hakan play. Sometimes I get pressure so bad I get headache, especially the wakeup game. Very frustrating.

Lyte Edge said:
Who says they would come out at the same time? That's not how it happened with what Capcom and SNK did with their crossover games.

Capcom and SNK's games were at least sorta similar in the fact they are both 2d fighters so the most they had to deal with generally is balancing.

Also random note, does anyone else find it ironic that Cammy has almost always done best in the VS series rather than straight Street Fighter *she isn't bad at all in Super but she does better in the VS games*? I have always found that funny.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
SephirothRK said:
ggs that was pretty scary how panda's hakan play. Sometimes I get pressure so bad I get headache, especially the wakeup game. Very frustrating.
Man, I wanna play Panda. I can count the number of Hakans on XBL I've seen so far on one hand.

Ploid 3.0

Anyone here in PSN chat play SSF4 in SD? I saw a video posted by Seph with a SD capture card and the chat bubble take up so much of the screen. I figure that's why people leave the room if there's too much text flying around.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rentahamster said:
Man, I wanna play Panda. I can count the number of Hakans on XBL I've seen so far on one hand.

His Hakan is probably better than mine, but I (try to) dispense oily justice on both consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom