• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, dash lk pinwheel works at pretty much any range, it's just a matter of how quickly you dash out of block. Crouching block makes instantly dashing out harder, and there seem to be situations that arise from crouching block where lk pinwheel will only land the first hit, leaving you at -3 instead of +1.

vexvegaz said:
hey guys..sorry to be asking this again but my last post got buried during the daigo match and never got an answer.

i think i may have hit my ceiling as far as this game goes. for the life of me i cant seem to follow the game frame by frame like many of you guys can. does anyone have any tips on slowing the game down a bit? i can perform many of the combos in trial mode 9 outta 10 but when it comes to putting it in use during match i find myself getting a bit too excited and my execution suffers severely. am i at the point where i just simply dont have the hand eye coordination to be able to be "tournament level" good? which i can accept if thats the case but if its something i can work on id be willing to put the time n effort to reach that goal.

PS. any tips on how to get better with spacing?

I dunno what else to suggest vexvegaz except to just put more time into it. Play more, be mindful of your bad habits, and try to improve upon them one by one.

Play more, play more people, get that machup experience, review videos of your matches you've played, see what worked, what didn't work, and why. Message someone that beat you down, ask if they're willing to play some games with you one on one.

Work on your execution. Clean it up and don't mash things out all the time. Repetition of certain situations will hammer things into your muscle memory. But be careful of what you're ingraining within yourself. Like I read in these threads, practice can make perfect, but practice can also make permanent. Make sure you're building upon good habits; eliminate that which is flawed in your game.

Leunam

vexvegaz said:
sorry, i main akuma

Just a general piece of advice, but most of the trial combos aren't very viable. The ones that you do need to learn, you'll eventually be able to pull off through your muscle memory. As for advice on Akuma, I'd wait for other Akuma players to respond, I'm still a newbie Akuma player.

vexvegaz said:
hey guys..sorry to be asking this again but my last post got buried during the daigo match and never got an answer.

i think i may have hit my ceiling as far as this game goes. for the life of me i cant seem to follow the game frame by frame like many of you guys can. does anyone have any tips on slowing the game down a bit? i can perform many of the combos in trial mode 9 outta 10 but when it comes to putting it in use during match i find myself getting a bit too excited and my execution suffers severely. am i at the point where i just simply dont have the hand eye coordination to be able to be "tournament level" good? which i can accept if thats the case but if its something i can work on id be willing to put the time n effort to reach that goal.

I'm in the same boat. Sort of hit my limit as well and trying to correct my mistakes. When things the pressure is on, my inputs get messed up and spazzy. Then other times, my pad just likes to fuck with me. Best advice is to practice and take it slow.

Don't just hop online and fight, but hit up the training mode, do the combos u learn in the Trials, play around and make your own, then ease up, and fight against the AI on Easy and Normal using the new moves you've learned. Turn up the difficulty later (I always fight on Hardest), then hit up online when you're ready.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ah, ok, all horizontal blanka balls are -24 on block. Juri's forward dash is 17 frames, and lk pinwheel starts in 7 frames, or 24 frames total. Buffer dash out of block, buffer pinwheel out of dash.

So there you have it, a blanka ball punish.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hitokage said:
Ah, ok, all horizontal blanka balls are -24 on block. Juri's forward dash is 17 frames, and lk pinwheel starts in 7 frames, or 24 frames total. Buffer dash out of block, buffer pinwheel out of dash.

so does that mean that its a 1frame punish?

Hitokage said:

I submit 2 problems
1. numbers lol
2. you cant buffer a pinwheel out of a dash. she cant do anything off her dash till she raises her body.
3. net buffer says thats a impossible punish.

vexvegaz

thanks for the reply guys..

yea i developed some pretty bad habbits playing on rank matches and only noticed them playing endless where u run into a mix level of players. for a while i thought i was the shit when my akuma is sitting on a 1500pp / 4600bp then i ran into some really good players and got the crap kicked outta me.

i started to watch replays of my matches and quickly became envious with how my opponents can mix up and create confusion to the point where even something as simple as pokes can pretty much leave me dumbfounded n lost.

Leunam

_dementia said:
Abel has things the same way if he wants to punish BB on block

online i would just rely on soulless though

I have the hardest time getting the dash out after a blocked Blanka ball. On the plus side, I've been able to punish Blankas Ultra/Super with Falling Sky every time.

vexvegaz

Leunam said:
Just a general piece of advice, but most of the trial combos aren't very viable. The ones that you do need to learn, you'll eventually be able to pull off through your muscle memory. As for advice on Akuma, I'd wait for other Akuma players to respond, I'm still a newbie Akuma player.

oh i completely agree, the main reason why i do those trials is to train my muscle memory. as much as id love to be able to perform those flashy combos i understand thier not nessesary but essential when it comes to teaching yourself button pressing timing(IMO anyways).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AkumaHokoru said:
I submit 2 problems
1. numbers lol
See, this is where you end up sounding silly, like with your earlier "-4 can be swept" remark. Learn some numbers. They might not have much use when talking footsies, but they're pretty important when talking reversals.

2. you cant buffer a pinwheel out of a dash. she cant do anything off her dash till she raises her body.
Buffering is not canceling. Buffering means the action is recorded then performed at the next available opportunity.

akumaHokoru:

I just tried what Hitokage is talking about. It seems to work. You have to buffer the dash while you are blocking.

I set Blanka to block right when he lands and the lk pinwheel is hitting him.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
vexvegaz said:
thanks for the reply guys..

yea i developed some pretty bad habbits playing on rank matches and only noticed them playing endless where u run into a mix level of players. for a while i thought i was the shit when my akuma is sitting on a 1500pp / 4600bp then i ran into some really good players and got the crap kicked outta me.

i started to watch replays of my matches and quickly became envious with how my opponents can mix up and create confusion to the point where even something as simple as pokes can pretty much leave me dumbfounded n lost.

Well I haven't played as much SSF4 ranked, but as an Akuma player there are a couple things you need to build a base, just one combo for basic situations.

Hit confirm on standing target: s.hp xx lk.tatsu xx hp.srk

c.lp s.hp is a great link to have for that, but will take some practice.

Hit confirm on crouching target: c.lp c.mp (xx hado OR xx ex tatsu OR c.hk)

Also handy is cross up air tatsu to sweep. Get those combos into muscle memory and you'll be able to expand no problem.

BitchTits

I feel like Makoto could use an overhead. Often when someone is turtling, a way in that doesn't result in getting mashed by LPs would help. Chop is fine, but it's so slow, even EX doesn't stop jab-mashers.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Speaking of which, it's good to know when you can take advantage of buffering and when you can't. Special moves and supers are buffered for a good stretch of time during blockstun, which is why reversals are easy and you only really need to worry about startup vs. frame disadvantage and then possibly range. Link combos don't let you buffer anything, making you use alternative techniques like plinking or just plain rote timing.

vexvegaz

Procarbine said:
Well I haven't played as much SSF4 ranked, but as an Akuma player there are a couple things you need to build a base, just one combo for basic situations.

Hit confirm on standing target: s.hp xx lk.tatsu xx hp.srk

c.lp s.hp is a great link to have for that, but will take some practice.

Hit confirm on crouching target: c.lp c.mp (xx hado OR xx ex tatsu OR c.hk)

Also handy is cross up air tatsu to sweep. Get those combos into muscle memory and you'll be able to expand no problem.

many thanks for that these tips. edit: lol nm i got it.

h3ro said:
How do you do that?

Buffering is just the act of doing something while doing something else. When you are blocking, there is a certain amount of delay. You simply cant do anything while the person is doing what they're doing. Thats why balrog can hit you with 4 or 5 jabs in a row in a blockstring, because his jabs come out faster than the recovery on your block.

So if blanka hits you with a ball, there will be a short time after he has collided with you and before you can move, this is when you hit forward forward to dash. While youre dashing, hit the quarter circle kick to do a light pinwheel, essentially buffering inside a buffered move.

Man as a player, I really don't like Ultras that you use to punish stuff on reaction.

Case in point: Rufus U2.

When it's charged, I try to bait out fireballs, focus, or jump ins. Meanwhile, I'm not focusing on my gameplay at all, and good players aren't going to do X, Y, or Z anyway... So they just get in on me for free, and kick my ass.

While I understand that the idea is to only use this as a pure reaction tool, my reactions aren't that good. And besides that, when I just forget about the ultra and start playing again, I find myself easily landing combos that I could have attached U1 to! Even versus very good shoto users.

I know how good this ultra is supposed to be, but outside of Zangief, Ultra 2 for Rufus is simply not for me. Any other Rufus users come to a similar conclusion?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
as a sak player, dash l.srk on reaction to blocked balls isn't exactly free out of training mode. >_>

same concept with juri so i can understand some of the bitterness.

'course with juri its safer on one hit and not an srk motion sooo loljuriplayersactingliketheyhaveitbad.

One more thing I'll add.

I get that this shuts down the fireball game, and that is the point. However, I never had trouble with Ryu/Sagat because of Fireballs, or not being able to get in... I lost to Sagat because of his enormous damage output off of 50/50 situations with little risk to him and huge reward. Now that that has been thankfully adjusted, Sagat is not a threat to me whatsoever.

Ryu on the other hand, is as strong as ever, while Rufus got a little nerf. I pretty much go the same with Ryu as I did in Vanilla, but I definitely get inched out more often now. Is there something I'm missing with U2 that will give me the edge in this matchup besides what I have said?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pandaman said:
as a sak player, dash l.srk on reaction to blocked balls isn't exactly free out of training mode. >_>

same concept with juri so i can understand some of the bitterness.

'course with juri its safer on one hit and not an srk motion sooo loljuriplayersactingliketheyhaveitbad.
Haha, f, hcb+lk ftw.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hitokage said:
Haha, f, hcb+lk ftw.
one thing hito, why'd you have to go and raise a damned chun army? i was fine when it was just you and 2 other random people, but we've got a dozen now.
not cool for us hakan players.
not cool at all.

Cowie

vexvegaz said:

EDIT: i main akuma

Re: the bolded- A lot of the discussion about frame data does a certain disservice to players unfamiliar with it. There are very few players who have everything memorized and broken down and are playing a match counting frames, or anything absurd like that. Reading discussion about frames makes it seem like we're all doing the math in our heads, seeing every single frame in a second and reacting perfectly. We're not. Think of it as more of a reference. You might run into a move and think 'Ugh, what can I do against that?' or you'll be messing with a combo and wonder 'Huh, can I do that differently?', and the frame data will help you. You consult it, find your answer, and apply it. What you learned from looking it up isn't necessarily such and such a move is -7 on block, but.. such and such a move can be punished with move x, so that's what you do.

As far as slowing the game down and execution in a match, those both come with time. If it's any consolation, I'd be willing to bet both of those things will improve together as your "comfort" with the game increases. So many things will begin to become second nature, you'll start seeing patterns and things will start becoming predictable. You'll get this faster against better players, but you won't notice it until you're fighting people worse than you. I wish my advice was something more concrete than "play more, lol" but that's what it really comes down to. Don't beat your head against a wall, and learn to accept when you're having a bad day (if you really want to keep playing on a bad day, try picking up a new character). Burning yourself probably won't help, you'll most likely end up mindlessly making the same mistakes once you reach a certain level of frustration, and that will in turn contribute to the frustration.

-----
Arpharmd B said:
I know how good this ultra is supposed to be, but outside of Zangief, Ultra 2 for Rufus is simply not for me. Any other Rufus users come to a similar conclusion?

I sometimes feel like that. My reactions aren't great, but people tend to not call my bluff on it, so I appreciate what U2 buys me there. I'm still messing around with it a lot though, because I honestly haven't played this game/Rufus in this game enough to feel like I know everything I want to know. But I definitely agree that when I get U2 I get sucked into just trying to land it.. I think my love for getting ultras off is why I'm a Rufus player in the first place, so completely dropping my gameplan because of that stupid hangup causes me a lot of trouble, lol.

CPS2

Hitokage said:
your earlier "-4 can be swept" remark

Hopefully I'm not mixing this up with something else, but if someone knows the Juri matchup and tries to punish a cr.blocked LK pinwheel with a sweep, it'll probably work. If you space it properly a lot of "standard" punishers whiff, but weird things like ultras with less than 8 startup and sweeps, that you wouldn't normally think to use, do work.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CPS2 said:
Hopefully I'm not mixing this up with something else, but if someone knows the Juri matchup and tries to punish a cr.blocked LK pinwheel with a sweep, it'll probably work. If you space it properly a lot of "standard" punishers whiff, but weird things like ultras with less than 8 startup and sweeps, that you wouldn't normally think to use, do work.
cr.blocked lk pinwheel is -8 because the second hit always whiffs. -8 is free to sweeps.

Pandaman said:
blocked balls isn't exactly free out of training mode. >_>
This is exactly what I speak of.
doing things in training mode is one thing. doing them in combat is another. doing them online is a whole new ball game.

Hitokage said:
cr.blocked lk pinwheel is -8 because the second hit always whiffs.
This is what you dont understand -4 and -8 dont mean shit when the move is safely hittable via sweep. if they block it fine. if they decide to attack it however

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AkumaHokoru said:
This is exactly what I speak of.
doing things in training mode is one thing. doing them in combat is another. doing them online is a whole new ball game.
Oh, I don't doubt lag will blow it up. But it's one thing to blame lag, and another to say a character can't do anything.

AkumaHokoru said:
This is what you dont understand -4 and -8 dont mean shit when the move is safely hittable via sweep. if they block it fine. if they decide to attack it however
Then we aren't talking about the same thing, now aren't we? I never said you couldn't just go ahead and counterhit it.

Threi

notag
let's break this shit down:

to punish a blanka ball with juri you block it, then dash and then pinwheel really fast.

if it's online you do it even faster.

i should coach daigo

vexvegaz

Cowie said:
Re: the bolded- A lot of the discussion about frame data does a certain disservice to players unfamiliar with it. There are very few players who have everything memorized and broken down and are playing a match counting frames, or anything absurd like that. Reading discussion about frames makes it seem like we're all doing the math in our heads, seeing every single frame in a second and reacting perfectly. We're not. Think of it as more of a reference. You might run into a move and think 'Ugh, what can I do against that?' or you'll be messing with a combo and wonder 'Huh, can I do that differently?', and the frame data will help you. You consult it, find your answer, and apply it. What you learned from looking it up isn't necessarily such and such a move is -7 on block, but.. such and such a move can be punished with move x, so that's what you do.

As far as slowing the game down and execution in a match, those both come with time. If it's any consolation, I'd be willing to bet both of those things will improve together as your "comfort" with the game increases. So many things will begin to become second nature, you'll start seeing patterns and things will start becoming predictable. You'll get this faster against better players, but you won't notice it until you're fighting people worse than you. I wish my advice was something more concrete than "play more, lol" but that's what it really comes down to. Don't beat your head against a wall, and learn to accept when you're having a bad day (if you really want to keep playing on a bad day, try picking up a new character). Burning yourself probably won't help, you'll most likely end up mindlessly making the same mistakes once you reach a certain level of frustration, and that will in turn contribute to the frustration.

ahhh now i get it. so basically its not so much that good players are able to play the game where they can follow the animation frame by frame and see what the opponent is gonna do but instead majority of it lays on your opponents predictability thats achieved by practicing and getting more comfortable with the game.

thank you.

Hitokage said:
Oh, I don't doubt lag will blow it up. But it's one thing to blame lag, and another to say a character can't do anything.

Then we aren't talking about the same thing, now aren't we? I never said you couldn't just go ahead and counterhit it.

1. regards to punishing blanka ball. Any netplay adds a small buffer to the inputs which is why people will have a combo down offline but mess it up online.

2. regards to just pinwheel in general. if people know its hittable they are going to try.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Threi said:

to punish a blanka ball with juri you block it, then dash and then pinwheel really fast.

i should coach daigo
:lol Love!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Threi said:

i should coach daigo
actually, online you have to start dashing before he hits you.
im not joking either.

;_;

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
BitchTits said:
I feel like Makoto could use an overhead. Often when someone is turtling, a way in that doesn't result in getting mashed by LPs would help. Chop is fine, but it's so slow, even EX doesn't stop jab-mashers.

EX axe kick is an overhead too, but i know your pain

marathonfool said:
Adon A-tier.

nope, only Jaguar Kick is A-tier

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I don't know anything about an upcoming game announcement. But I do know about this sale going on this weekend! :)

---

7/20-7/28 - Mad Catz COMIC-CON SALE! - $100 Round 2, 20-30% OFF, shirts, parts + MORE

NOTE: THIS ONLINE PROMOTION IS ONLY VALID FROM JULY 20 - JULY 28, 2010!

ALSO NOTE, ONLY ONE COUPON CODE CAN BE USED AT A TIME! IF YOU WANT TO GET A DISCOUNT ON BOTH A SUPER STREET FIGHTER ORDER AND/OR A REGULAR TE STICK ORDER, FIGHTPAD/SE FIGHTSTICK YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE SEPARATE ORDERS!

These promos expire end of day July 27th!

---

Mad Catz will be at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2010 this week! If you are planning to attend largest North American event of the popular arts, be sure to swing by our floor sales booth on Aisle 5139 or our tournament game room at 17AB.

---

Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more deals & promotions in the future!

Mad Catz - Comic-Con Promotion
Hello everyone! MarkMan here with another discount for the gaming community <3 !

There will be another special Mad Catz Store ( GameShark Store ) promotion going on this week/weekend!

I'm happy to be hanging out in my hometown of San Diego for this weekend's Comic-Con International event! I'll be plugging this website promo and showing off some new products!

Level|Up and EVOLUTION Championship Series will be on hand to help run the 9th Annual SDTEKKEN Gaming room (17AB)! Watch our live stream, or better yet, go to Comic-Con and enter one of our tournaments for Super Street Fighter IV, TEKKEN 6 and BlazBlue Continuum Shift!

For those of you interested in the goods...

Once again we will be doing 20-30% off certain products!

The 20%* OFF Super Street Fighter IV includes the following... CODE = SUPERSDCC

SS44738_WHITE.jpg
SS48838_BLACK.jpg

88280_RYU.jpg
47280_JURI.jpg

[/CENTER]

The 30%* OFF** product list includes the following... CODE = COMICCON

TVC5718.jpg
MV2-4738.jpg

4738.gif
4718.gif
4728-guile.jpg

• Tatsunoko VS. Capcom Arcade FightStick for Wii
  • MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick (Standard Edition) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV FightPad (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Round 2" FightPad for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360

The $50* OFF** & INCLUDES FREE GROUND SHIPPING! ... CODE = ROUND2
SF4-RD2-4738.jpg

• Street Fighter IV "Round 2" Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
WE ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE our NEW range of Mad Catz FightStick Parts. Currently we have dust cover sets (with the arrowed design) and bezels for the Tournament Edition sticks. With MORE to come!

stick_shaft_dust_cyan.jpg
stick_bezel_lightpurple.jpg

• FightStick Parts - Dust Cover Set (13 different colors)
  • FightStick Parts - Bezel (13 different colors)
  • Sanwa JLF Joystick (Pre-Order)
  • Sanwa OBSF-30 Pushbuttons (Pre-Order)
  • Sanwa OBSF-24 Pushbuttons (Pre-Order)
Here are some shots of what the parts look like on a stick...

26584_328774448882_507353882_3611114_1721972_n.jpg

37290_402649548882_507353882_4431258_7427095_n.jpg

Also NEW to our web store is the LIMITED EDITION shirt inspired by legendary fighting game player, Daigo "THE BEAST" Umehara...

TShirt-TeamMad.jpg

• Team Mad Catz T-Shirt (Available in S, M, L, XL, 2XL)
For a shirt size chart, please reference this link.

Also new is our special 20% deal on our TRITTON line of gaming headsets! CODE = TRITTONCC
TRIAX180.jpg
TRIAX720.jpg
TRIGA611.jpg

• TRITTON AX180
  • TRITTON AX720
  • TRITTON AXPro

* Offer available to continental US residents only (Sorry International buyers! Plan ahead and see if a US buddy can help you with this deal)!
** Deal not valid for Super Street Fighter IV Products

THIS DEAL IS LIVE NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom