• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

I gave up 1200bp last night, it was a firesale, everything must go! Actually I got tired of playing Abel over and over and tried to level up my Ken and Makoto. Despite that many points lost, I won more than I lost. But +1, +19 can only do so much against -115 and -128s.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
LakeEarth said:
+1, +19 can only do so much against -115 and -128s.

Ah the past joys of ranked ssf4...

*breathes a sigh of relief*

serenity now

serenity now...

Skilotonn said:
And I am not getting my hopes up for that 7 new characters rumor - the Japanese arcade pic, even though the grammar was goofy, was clearly showing and talking about the characters who were never in the arcade version, including SFIV's console-only characters...
Yeah, the post on SRK seems shady. I'd love to see new additions, but I don't think we'll see any. Arcade SSFIV is already a massive upgrade over arcade SFIV.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
arstal said:
My main interest is balance changes. Buff up karakusa for Makoto and give her a way to deal with jabs. Make Gen useful again.

At this point, I think the only big thing Makoto needs is a more reliable way to get in and control space. I'm cool with it being a bit hard for her to get in since she's so scary up close, but the risk she has to take to get in is too great.

hitsugi

SoulFist said:
Why no Yun?! Ahhhh. 7 new characters sounds awesome. I will buy it at a high price. Hopefully they will add some new stages too. I never played Alpha too much, but what kind of character is R.Mika exactly?

there's enough dive kick madness in SSF4 already D: and as much as I liked Yun, no one would like him with a severely nerfed genei jin and no roll cancels (only way cvs2 yun was fun) so, no point..

It doesn't matter how many characters they add, because Bison will be 6-4 against all of them. ^_^
And is it too much to hope that new characters won't be paid DLC.
:(

dragonballjoseph said:
It doesn't matter how many characters they add, because Bison will be 6-4 against all of them. ^_^
And is it too much to hope that new characters won't be paid DLC.
:(
If outfits are paid DLC, you could probably expect characters to be as well. I imgaine it will work like Blaz with the data itself being free so you can play against the character, but the unlock code is premium content.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
_dementia said:
Yeah, the post on SRK seems shady. I'd love to see new additions, but I don't think we'll see any. Arcade SSFIV is already a massive upgrade over arcade SFIV.

I'm positive that that's the case, and it's the safest thing to assume...

People on the net live for this kind of thing - to throw out BS rumors just to mess with people, or throw out things and hope to be right, and get their 15 minutes of fame...

Some things are genuinely leaked though, but it's not like it happens every day...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Lost Fragment said:
At this point, I think the only big thing Makoto needs is a more reliable way to get in and control space. I'm cool with it being a bit hard for her to get in since she's so scary up close, but the risk she has to take to get in is too great.

I'm fine with the risk being large. It's harder for Honda to get in then Makoto. It's mostly that Makoto's defense is horrible in a game where everyone else has a ton of easymode options.

I'd say make Orochi autocounter jabs and shorts with a special animation or something. (but not stronger hits)

knee

Okay everyone.

What's your upper, upper price limit for DLC that included:
  • All Costumes
  • All Characters (meaning the proposed 7 new ones)

Mine?
$24.99, but that's probably not realistic. I'm still standing by my 'never pay for costumes' credo.

_dementia said:
VF-style sabaki will be hilarious. Vinyl scratch sound effect needs to be there too.

I love VF sound effects. tik tik CHSSSHSSHHHHSH VOOM VOOM VOOM :lol

SSF4 needs a VF5-style commentator.

"What do you think about this match?"
"It looks like player one is doing a good job zoning his opponent"
"UMESHORYUUuuu!!!!!"
"Overhead."
"Dizzy."
"BIG JUGGLEEEEEEE!!!"
"And that's the round."

LakeEarth

arstal said:
I'm fine with the risk being large. It's harder for Honda to get in then Makoto. It's mostly that Makoto's defense is horrible in a game where everyone else has a ton of easymode options.
Plus Honda has good long range pokes, safer pressure tools, more health to risk and a lot more range on his command grab. And as you mentioned, defense is night and day between the two characters.

knee said:
Okay everyone.

• All Costumes
  • All Characters

Mine?
$24.99, but that's probably not realistic. I'm still standing by my 'never pay for costumes' credo.
I would just save money by picking and choose the characters I would want to play.

Hell, SSFIV could have just been the engine for free and $10 per character and I would have saved $20 because I only play Abel and Adon

Papi

knee said:
Okay everyone.

• All Costumes
  • All Characters

Mine?
Probably $800.
*shrugs*

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
LakeEarth said:
Plus Honda has good long range pokes, safer pressure tools, more health to risk and a lot more range on his command grab. And as you mentioned, defense is night and day between the two characters.

The command grab- I use EX command grab with Makoto frequently for it's autoguard to try and land a counter. Honda's command grab is faster also, though I think karakarakusa has more range- karas are sloppy design, which SF4 has a lot of.

Honda's pokes aren't as great as people make them out to be, and Makoto's aren't as bad.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
arstal said:

I'd say make Orochi autocounter jabs and shorts with a special animation or something. (but not stronger hits)

I don't play Honda at all so I might be talking out of my ass here, but I think the big difference is headbutt. While not safe 100% of the time, it's a much better/safer long-range pressure tool than any of Makoto's hayates. Plus he has better walkspeed and pokes.

You're probably right about the defense bit, but Mak's crappy defense never really bothered me that much. But maybe that's just because I play Viper and I'm used to just blocking/backdashing/whatever on wakeup :lol

Whatever the case, if they do end up making balancing adjustments, I think Mak will definitely come out a bit stronger. I think with her the developers erred on the side of caution because it seems like she's the type of character that's easy to come out overpowered.

TimeKillr

Lost Fragment said:
I don't play Honda at all so I might be talking out of my ass here, but I think the big difference is headbutt. While not safe 100% of the time, it's a much better/safer long-range pressure tool than any of Makoto's hayates. Plus he has better walkspeed and pokes.

You're probably right about the defense bit, but Mak's crappy defense never really bothered me that much. But maybe that's just because I play Viper and I'm used to just blocking/backdashing/whatever on wakeup :lol

Whatever the case, if they do end up making balancing adjustments, I think Mak will definitely come out a bit stronger. I think with her the developers erred on the side of caution because it seems like she's the type of character that's easy to come out overpowered.

My feeling is that Karakusa was horribly, HORRIBLY nerfed because it's a guaranteed chance to land U1, and if karakusa was too easy to land, you'd run into guaranteed U1 every round, which they want to avoid. :(

Why EX Hayate doesn't go through fireballs I'll never understand though.

That and the idiotic logic:

1- Female? Low hp.
2- Small frame? Low hp.

Makoto needs med to high HP and high damage to be effective - as it is right now, she's a high risk-medium reward character that gets destroyed by everyone else simply because she lacks tools to get in. It's sad. :(

LakeEarth

TimeKillr said:
My feeling is that Karakusa was horribly, HORRIBLY nerfed because it's a guaranteed chance to land U1, and if karakusa was too easy to land, you'd run into guaranteed U1 every round, which they want to avoid. :(
On top of that, the ultra isn't too devastating. Last night I was messing around with her, landed the ultra twice in one round and that still didn't put away my Ken opponent.

TimeKillr

LakeEarth said:
On top of that, the ultra isn't too devastating. Last night I was messing around with her, landed the ultra twice in one round and that still didn't put away my Ken opponent.

I know.

Seriously, it's ridiculous - most karakusa setups don't do more damage than Abel's tornado throws (outside of U1 anyway) and yet it's insanely inferior in every way possible. :(

hitsugi

God's Beard said:
If they didn't change anything, Q would have over 1700 health after 3 taunts :lol

That's 2 Akumas.

We all know that there will only be one Q player :lol

..actually does Kuroda even play SF4? At all?

LakeEarth

TimeKillr said:
Seriously, it's ridiculous - most karakusa setups don't do more damage than Abel's tornado throws (outside of U1 anyway) and yet it's insanely inferior in every way possible. :(
Range - Abel
Startup - Abel
Usefulness against throws - Abel
EX version's invulnerability - Abel

Yup, that's pretty much every way.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
TimeKillr said:

Why EX Hayate doesn't go through fireballs I'll never understand though.

That and the idiotic logic:

1- Female? Low hp.
2- Small frame? Low hp.

Makoto needs med to high HP and high damage to be effective - as it is right now, she's a high risk-medium reward character that gets destroyed by everyone else simply because she lacks tools to get in. It's sad. :(
i really dont care much about HP

faster normal Oroshi chops, EX version invincible throughout and better recovery on axe kick and im good

edit: and little hitbox fixes here and there

hitsugi

God's Beard said:
Hey, Q was my main in 3s too!

well I didn't know that >.> I guess you can step up and take over as well! I don't know about Q without a parry though.. then again I've said that about all of the 3s characters

DasRaven

knee said:
Okay everyone.
  • All Costumes

Since I've already received all the ALT1 & ALT2 costumes via purchase & preorders, I would only be willing to pay $20 to basically make SSF4T a full retail price game.

But for that I'd expect:
* the new characters (go Elena!)
* more stages (come back "grassy field during storm" & "New York subway")
* 3 costumes for everyone (including newcomers)
* some promise that this was the end of SF4 expansions

_dementia said:
I consider Q my main in SF3 even though I did better with Urien and Remy
he's just so much more of a troll
I call him the breakable wall, the movable object.

DasRaven said:

GRASS STAGE
SNOW STAGE
BEACH STAGE

hitsugi

DasRaven said:

Seriously.. can we PLEASE re-do the grassy stage from A2?! PLEASE. Thank you.

A snow stage would be nice as well

knee said:
Okay everyone.

• All Costumes

Mine?

$19.99 sounds about right for everything.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
TimeKillr said:
I know.

But something to keep in mind with karakusa is that Mak has a lot more options after that than Abel does after tt. So I'm cool with it being a bit more vulnerable than tt. I think it could stand to have a little less recovery though.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
edit: and little hitbox fixes here and there

Yeah the hitbox on axe kick pisses me off.

Hugbot

Sir Garbageman said:
$19.99 sounds about right for everything.
I think $20 is about the upper limit they can charge for a downloadable expansion thing. Full 1600 points card, if you start going above that purchasers are gonna drop pretty drastically, I assume.

Of course they'd charge for extra costumes for the new characters/2nd alts for the Super chars separately.

hitsugi

Hugbot said:
I think $20 is about the upper limit they can charge for a downloadable expansion thing. Full 1600 points card, if you start going above that purchasers are gonna drop pretty drastically, I assume.

Of course they'd charge for extra costumes for the new characters/2nd alts for the Super chars separately.

I think even another $20 expense this soon would be a turn off for a lot of people.

..but I'd buy it.

however, charging $20 and then charging additional prices for more costumes is where things get out of hand.

_dementia said:
If outfits are paid DLC, you could probably expect characters to be as well. I imgaine it will work like Blaz with the data itself being free so you can play against the character, but the unlock code is premium content.

More reason why I hate this generation of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom