• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leunam said:
I was surprised when people at EVO were saying it was a new setup or reset or whatever. I've been doing that crap for the longest time and am actually doing it less and less.

If you think he's going to stop right in front of you, you can also dragon punch during his recovery.

Most of the time he ends up behind me. I have to learn that dp motion for cross-ups.

Leunam

Actually, it can correct itself if you time it right. But you may just want to go for the throw so you can have an untechable knockdown. You'll be at an advantage.

I always feel so intimidated when I post in the SF threads :lol

How can one practice FADCs more/most effectively? Obviously I'm playing as often as I can, but I'm not quite getting the ideas behind it so I can get the execution down too. I've started randomly dashing out of focus to change my movement options, so I hope that will help me get better at using FADC, but I always seem to fuck up the input for it, or the follow-up move after it.

Are there things that people do to perfect the hand motiions required for it? Are people doing it with a pad?

TimeKillr

captmcblack said:

How can one practice FADCs more/most effectively? Obviously I'm playing as often as I can, but I'm not quite getting the ideas behind it so I can get the execution down too. I've started randomly dashing out of focus to change my movement options, so I hope that will help me get better at using FADC, but I always seem to fuck up the input for it, or the follow-up move after it.

Are there things that people do to perfect the hand motiions required for it? Are people doing it with a pad?

You can do it with a pad, but it's not as easy (or smooth) as with a stick.

I would think the best way to practice FADCs would be with Ryu, doing srk -> fadc -> Ultra until you can do it in your sleep. It'll take a while at first to get it down consistently, but it's not that hard.

Basically, just do forward twice as soon as you hit the MP+MK, and don't let go of them until you start dashing. If you let go too early you'll get the hit of the focus instead of the dash.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
captmcblack said:

Just practice in parts making sure that you do each portion properly, and then speed it up. There's no use in rushing at full speed if you're not even doing the motions accurately.

Just doing raw FAs and dash canceling them is a good start. Once you have a feel for how large the window for DCing is, work on hitting FF/BB as early as possible so you barely see the FA animation. Then finally, once that's second nature, add the Ultra/whatever followup - note that you can input (aka buffer) this during the dash animation.

It's a weird motion, and definitely the most awkward thing to learn exclusive to SF4... but with practice it's 100% doable on both stick and pad. I don't even play fighters on pad, but I can pull it off just fine on PS3 and 360 controllers without much practice - really, it's learning the timing initially that's the most work.

Degen

Question for the Padwarrior master race:

Best controller for this game? I imagine it's MadCatz Fightpad vs Hori Fighting Commander 3 vs a Sega Saturn clone.

Dualshock Duece > Sixaxis > Dualshock Triple > Madcraps > Whorey > Smegma Saturn USB

Immortal/Panda/Q/Farms/etc bodied me with the official sony stuff when I used to play

One thing that I really need to learn about Street Fighter IV is to know when to just go ahead and quit playing after winning a solid game or two, and not just keeping going until I start to lose really badly. Like last night I was at my high water mark for PP
692, hey I never said I was good :)
but even though I knew I was getting tired and starting to get sloppy I tried to stick it out for another win or two and ended up just getting crushed. Would be nice to actually quit on an up note every so often.

On the positive side I'm really enjoying playing Rose now that I've moved over to her full time. With reflect and a fireball of my own I can refuse all the Sagats, Ryus and Kens who want me to jump right into their uppercuts. And she has plenty of really easy execution combos that work well for a scrub like me stuff like j.MK -> cr.MK -> MK Spiral. And when I get rushed down Ultra II is one of the quickest ways to get agressive folks to back right off. Also Rose is not too common at the beginner levels that I play at, so most of my opponents don't realize how some of her unique pokes like df. MK or f. HK work and you can take them by suprise quite often.

Degen

_dementia said:
Dualshock Duece > Sixaxis > Dualshock Triple > Madcraps > Whorey > Smegma Saturn USB

Immortal/Panda/Q/Farms/etc bodied me with the official sony stuff when I used to play
Thanks, I thought you'd be the first to answer :lol

To be honest, there are no issues with the DS3 as long as I'm using GLORIOUS THUNDER HAWK a grappler.
The problem arises when a character's qcf+p, f,d,d/f+p, and qcfqcf+p all do different things, for example. I mean to do one thing and do another, repeatedly. Could be my own fault.

You'd really put Sixbreakxis over DS3? Interesting.

BitchTits

Is there any benefit to timing the hits on Gen's EX Gekiro kick?

I've always just mashed, but I've seen a few people time them with a pause or two in between more timed batches of hits and wondered if they were doing it for some reason other than to be fancy.

Hugbot

Degen said:
The problem arises when a character's qcf+p, f,d,d/f+p, and qcfqcf+p all do different things, for example. I mean to do one thing and do another, repeatedly. Could be my own fault.
When I was using a pad I could not for the life of me do a dragon punch for the longest time. Then there was a period I finally got it down, but couldn't fire a hadouken off half the time, I'd just be DP-ing. Looking back I was probably just hitting the punch too soon so it caught me in DF, but it was still really frustrating. After that fiasco I'm not gonna try to play a command character on a pad again, it was one big headache. It did lead to me picking up Zangief though, which has been a lot of fun.

ACE 1991

Ugh... Would any seasoned Ryu players like to play some games with me and help me work on my game? I've hit a brick wall so to speak, and starting to want to throw in the towel for good :lol

ACE 1991 said:
Ugh... Would any seasoned Ryu players like to play some games with me and help me work on my game? I've hit a brick wall so to speak, and starting to want to throw in the towel for good :lol
What exactly are you having trouble with? If possible could you record yourself with a camera to help us give you pointers? I love the replay system.

Also, if you want to throw in the towel, the new Blaz in out today (or tomorrow). You could take that up :)

ACE 1991

_dementia said:
What exactly are you having trouble with? If possible could you record yourself with a camera to help us give you pointers? I love the replay system.

Also, if you want to throw in the towel, the new Blaz in out today (or tomorrow). You could take that up :)

I'll try to upload some matches. But basically I'm just playing overly defensive, and consistently getting punished when trying to get some real damage in.

Haeleos

Ouch... point cards come in 1400 points and 2800 points in Canada and Capcom prices the Complete Costume pack at 1440. Glad I don't own the 360 version, but I feel for anyone in that situation who is looking forward to the complete pack.

ACE 1991 said:
More fireballs.

hitsugi

ACE 1991 said:

not much to it.. walk up, low forward -> fireball.

..all day.

ajpotato214

Neo Member
ACE 1991 said:

You know, Valle once told me that players will eventually hit a proverbial plateau to where he/she cannot get better due to either execution or strategy. Perhaps you just hit your plateau? I for one don't believe in that. I say don't throw in the towel and just find some determination and hunger to play.

ACE 1991 said:
I'll try to upload some matches. But basically I'm just playing overly defensive, and consistently getting punished when trying to get some real damage in.
Work on hit confirms so you don't get punished for committing to long recovery moves

ACE 1991

_dementia said:
Work on hit confirms so you don't get punished for committing to long recovery moves

Yeah, good idea. I also need to work on not accidentally throwing EX SRK's instead of the intended ultra :lol

Setting the dummy to "random block" in training mode is a great way to practice hit confirms, honestly I need to practice these myself big time.

vocab

ACE 1991 said:
Yeah, good idea. I also need to work on not accidentally throwing EX SRK's instead of the intended ultra :lol

Just end your ultra motion at uf. Usually works 100% of the time.

AZ Greg

So, now that the game has been out about 3 months, I'm wondering what ultra everyone has made their "go-to" ultra for their mains and why? And if you play someone with 2 useful ultras like Chun then you can get lost. :p Or at least post your logic why you use one over the other in certain match-ups.

I use Vega's U2 about 99% of the time. It isn't quite as good as I wanted it to be, but it still has much more use than Vega's U1, despite U1 gaining the ability to hit on the way up.

U2 uses:
- Can be comboed off of an AA df.HK
- Can be comboed off of a counter hit cr.MK (Though this isn't very practical :lol)
- Works as AA when an opponent jumps in with an attack and it isn't a safe jump
- Fear of above leads to less jump-in pressure on Vega which is always a good thing
- Can punish projectiles from about half-screen or closer if done on reaction (Sorta varies by character)
- More character specific punishes (Honda's MP/HP headbutt, for example)
- Can punish focus attacks on reaction
- Easier to combo after a crumple stun than U1 (Though that was pretty easy once you got the timing down)
- Can be used to escape a corner under the right circumstances
- Has a one-time gimmicky trick (Can't give this away :lol)

U1 still has some character specific punishes, and it does slightly more damage, so that makes it tempting to use occasionally, but the uses of U2 usually have me picking it instead. I do sometimes like to use U1 against Sagat as a blocked HK fireball followed by a HP fireball will stuff Vega's wall dive. U1 will shut down his projectile game from half-screen and further.

LakeEarth

My mains are Abel and Honda. Since both of Abel's are really good, and both of Honda's are total shit, the ultras I pick are entirely based on usefulness on that specific character matchup. Though with Ken I definitely like Ultra 1 better despite the flashiness of d.mk xx EX fireball FADC ultra 2.

LakeEarth

I think Ryu fireball FADC ultra 2 is one of the trials, but it has to be super-quick. Ken is a bit easier because his EX fireball adds extra time yet doesn't knock down.

YakiSOBA said:
Are there any safe U2 setups for Ryu? something ->FADC ->U2?
All combos that work for his U1 work for his U2. It just does less damage. This excludes the EX fireball setups, although he does get low forward fireball FADC.

I don't really have a go to Ultra for Bison, Chun or Cody. Does are really match-up dependent. And I'll only use Sakura's U2 against Seth, Akuma, and Viper.

Balrog, I always choose Dirty Bull.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
With Rose, I'd use Ultra 1 on Sim, Rog, maybe Adon, and a few other chars. Otherwise U2.

can you combo into Ultra with Rose without using FADC or super in corner?

derFeef

oh god I am getting destroyed online (sfiv pc):lol
It´s like I have no idea what the other player is doing. I am just getting mangled.

Can not imagine what happens when super comes this week.

derFeef said:
oh god I am getting destroyed online (sfiv pc):lol
It´s like I have no idea what the other player is doing. I am just getting mangled.

Can not imagine what happens when super comes this week.
Super is coming to PC this week? (sorry that's how I interpreted your post)

Hugbot

LakeEarth said:
Good man. Sure its not that good but Rog's jump is so low and the move so rarely used that most people don't see it coming.
I'd like to use it, coming from Gief, but I can't give up the utility of Headbutt->Ultra or Dash Punch -> Ultra and still perform as well. Plus I'm still a little wonky on my stun punishes and generally drop a link somewhere in there. At my level no one really sees anything coming anyway.

It's still a fun Ultra to trot out now and again but I can't really make it work for me yet.

fubarduck

AZ Greg said:
So, now that the game has been out about 3 months, I'm wondering what ultra everyone has made their "go-to" ultra for their mains and why?

I main Ibuki and I originally learned her with U2 (Hashinsho) since that seemed to be the recommended choice, but now I can safely say that U1 (Yoroidoshi) is the superior Ultra in almost every situation.

- It's reasonably tricky if you tick with it using a frame trap
- It punishes LOTS of stuff with reversal timing.
- It's more reliable to chip with

Basically, if you don't want to take a risk by just throwing it out there when you think they'll do a move, there are a ton of guaranteed punishes with it. Anything your opponent does that leaves them at +0 or worse means a guaranteed U1 punish, because reversal timing makes it 0 frame startup (it's normally 1)!

Some examples of stuff you can punish with this:
- Ryu blocked DP FADC dash forward
- Abel blocked f.MK dash forward (a lifesaver!)
- Ken LK/MK/HK Hurricane kick on hit
- Adon blocked Jaguar Tooth or HK Version on hit
- All characters' Level 1 focus blocked into dash forward (except Chun-Li's)

And that's just the start. It's so great having an ultra that takes away so many options.

with Honda, I still use U1 since the range of U2 is insanely short and near impossible to get in face to face in the right situation

so Honda practically plays like if he doesn't have an Ultra because he is not threatening when it's loaded since U1 takes 5 hours to start up

I just select it for those rare instances when my opponent whiffs horribly and I got a charge.

I know Mike Ross is able to HHS FA into Ultra 2 but eh, the situation doesn't present itself often against Ryu, Guile, Sagat, Chun-Li who play keep away so :p

Honda U1 is funny when backed into a corner with a Rufus trying to do a Dive Kick Cross-Up... hilarious Auto-Correction FTW

LakeEarth

Honda's ultra 1 has one specific advantage, and that's not letting characters chip you with a fireball everytime on wakeup within half the screen. Well anyone with a semi-long fireball recovery.

vg260

Is there a Viper guide for dummies somewhere? It took me forever last night to get 1000BP for Viper. I was getting destroyed. I looked at some videos and forums, but don't get the whole super jump and move cancel thing even after reading them. Seems like that ups her game considerably, but I still don't understand it.

ptown

Degen said:
Question for the Padwarrior master race:

Best controller for this game? I imagine it's MadCatz Fightpad vs Hori Fighting Commander 3 vs a Sega Saturn clone.

I barely messed with the Fightpad, but my initial impression was that it felt a little cheap/flimsy-feeling.

I used a Saturn pad (bought two off Ebay) and they worked pretty well. One of them broke after a little over a year of use. I'm not a big fan of the buttons though. The buttons are real close together, small, and the top three face buttons don't match the bottom three. So my hand felt a little cramped. I got used to it and overall, not bad.

The Hori FC3 feels like it has the best quality parts. The buttons are nice and big (and have the same size and shape unlike the Saturn pad). The dpad feels a little stiff, but I've gotten used to it somewhat (some motions give me trouble atm).

I think I just need to get used to the dpad of the Hori and then I can say it is clearly the best choice of the three.

Imm0rt4l

2&2 said:
Is there a Viper guide for dummies somewhere? It took me forever last night to get 1000BP for Viper. I was getting destroyed. I looked at some videos and forums, but don't get the whole super jump and move cancel thing even after reading them. Seems like that ups her game considerably, but I still don't understand it.
here's a pretty good video guide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJRckgem1Y&videos=6Lkb2dokqqM

this is probably a bit advanced, but viper is not a pick up and play character.

DasRaven

AZ Greg said:
So, now that the game has been out about 3 months, I'm wondering what ultra everyone has made their "go-to" ultra for their mains and why? And if you play someone with 2 useful ultras like Chun then you can get lost. :p Or at least post your logic why you use one over the other in certain match-ups.

With Sagat(yes, yes I know), I find both to be useful, but in most match ups I'm using U2 over U1. U2's chip is beastly paired with Sagat's already excellent zoning and it seems to beat a lot of punishes when when it follows a blocked TK. And since both can be used in a Step Kick>FADC>Ultra, I don't even need to learn any different setups. I mainly use U1 for the really low HP characters (Seth) and for his really bad match-ups (Sim/Akuma) because I need the threat of the higher damage.

Dr.Hadji

So apparently you can throw Ryu out of his super in Super. Did it all the time (three times) in Vanilla. Nice to know its still around.

Degen said:
It's hilarious watching his projectiles go through you during a command throw. Gives you that juggernaut feeling.
"Silly bitch.
Your weapons cannot harm me.
Don't you know who the fuck I am?"

also, Sim's UC1
also, running through jab sonic booms during Abel's super

V_Arnold

SephirothRK said:
Viper only has 1 ultra, I never heard of the 2nd one.

I like Viper's second. I find them useful for a certain few characters. Like Bison, Honda, Blanka, maybe even shotos. (But that is a non-issue for Viper anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom