• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimosabae

Banned
Never believed in plateaus. Granted, SSF4 isn't that deep of a fighting game, but even still, the plateau is due to lack of imagination, IMO. I just don't believe they exist.

XenoRaven

I didn't realize I was making an excuse. Do you mean about my skill level or about me picking up a different character? I'm just saying what I think. I go in ranked and get my ass beat by lame ass scrub tactics because I don't know what I'm doing. My footsies suck, I don't know how to deal with pressure, I need to practice combos more because I'm only comfortable with like 3 and I drop them sometimes, I mash to get HK Legs, my defense is bad, I only know one of her AA normals and it really only works on Ryu/Ken. I'm still missing fundamentals with my main character that I need to learn. I'm open to the idea of putting down my main for awhile to get rid of bad habits and improve other areas of my game. But I'm not even familiar enough with my main where I would think that would be beneficial to me.

But whatever. Maybe I'll just do it anyway.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Eh there's not much of a plateau, if any, for this kind of game since there's not a huge physical/athletic barrier to greatness like there is in other sports.

It's mostly mental, so anyone can get good, sorta like chess. There is the issue of reactions and stuff, but that doesn't really give a younger player that big of an advantage.

Gyrian, good news your awesome package came in :3. Bad news Humar twin sword didn't make it :( but I'm ok with that, you included the Tira :) Thank you again.:D

PS: Gummy Bears are all dead.

vocab

Plateau's do exist when it comes to certain aspects of competitive games, but the only way to overcome those plateau's is to just play more, and put the time into it. Most of the meta game comes naturally. It's very hard to run into a ceiling with fighting games because there so much information about each game that you should be able to learn something new everyday if you actually learn the game.

You may hit the plateau with characters that depend on higher level of execution, but it's not something that can't be fixed with hours and hours of practice.

Gyrian

SephirothRK said:
Gyrian, good news your awesome package came in :3. Bad news Humar twin sword didn't make it :( but I'm ok with that, you included the Tira :) Thank you again.:D

PS: Gummy Bears are all dead.

You're joking. How did this happen? I packed everything so carefully. ;_;
What a disappointment on the gummies. Heat kill them?

Lesson learned for future prizes. I'm so sorry, Seph.

micrometaru.gif

Kimosabae

Banned
vocab said:
Plateau's do exist when it comes to certain aspects of competitive games, but the only way to overcome those plateau's is to just play more, and put the time into it. Most of the meta game comes naturally. It's very hard to run into a ceiling with fighting games because there so much information about each game that you should be able to learn something new everyday if you actually learn the game.

You may hit the plateau with characters that depend on higher level of execution, but it's not something that can't be fixed with hours and hours of practice.

You just said it yourself: a plateau can't exist if you don't recognize limits.

dragonballjoseph said:
Ranked mode gets better when your PP is 3000+ or so.

Really? I think it gets worse, especially when you hit 4000+. More skilled/ same skill pool falls a lot. Every time I get to 4200~, I start picking random just so I can slide down and open up the player base :lol.

Need more endless battles, hard to find anyone fun in ranked anymore.

And to dude who was playing Ryu and is intimidated, play whichever character you want. Don't get hung up on people who moan about other's character choice. I do it too from time to time but it's mostly just venting.

And there's no such things as plateaus. Grind through it - just grind smart, not hard.

Gyrian said:
You're joking. How did this happen? I packed everything so carefully. ;_;
What a disappointment on the gummies. Heat kill them?

Lesson learned for future prizes. I'm so sorry, Seph.

micrometaru.gif

the gummy bears are in me :lol

Don't worry, Gyrian. I'm very glad you even sent me those things :)

Lost Fragment said:
I think this is true to a certain extent, but you can't be all like "well, I'm not getting any better, I guess there's nothing I can do to break through the ceiling..." because then it probably becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Definitely agree there. I'm sort of at that point as well with execution and strategies. I've been relying on the same shit for the past year now and can't seem to get any better because I can't pull off extensive combos, pressure, etc. that will improve my game.

But you can't just say fuck it. If you want to improve, then find a way and do it. My problem is finding a decent controller to improve, tried 3 different ones, and still not going to stop until I found one I'm 100% happy with.

FSLink

Banned
XenoRaven said:
I didn't realize I was making an excuse. Do you mean about my skill level or about me picking up a different character? I'm just saying what I think. I go in ranked and get my ass beat by lame ass scrub tactics because I don't know what I'm doing.
If I were you, I'd just play less online and more offline matches. It's also much easier to practice links and stuff against friends in versus where you know lag isn't a factor too.

riceandbeans said:
Definitely agree there. I'm sort of at that point as well with execution and strategies. I've been relying on the same shit for the past year now and can't seem to get any better because I can't pull off extensive combos, pressure, etc. that will improve my game.

But you can't just say fuck it. If you want to improve, then find a way and do it. My problem is finding a decent controller to improve, tried 3 different ones, and still not going to stop until I found one I'm 100% happy with.
This.

You just got to keep playing and you will learn more and more. I have ALOT to learn myself still.

riceandbeans, puerto rican by chance?

Killa Sasa said:
Really? I think it gets worse, especially when you hit 4000+. More skilled/ same skill pool falls a lot. Every time I get to 4200~, I start picking random just so I can slide down and open up the player base :lol.
It's better when you make the rounds, because people with 3500+PP usually jump in your room.
But of course, you get the occasional 0/0 player who craps their pants at the stage select screen. :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You are always getting better if you keep playing. Whether you know it is dependent on who you play. And these same people are also getting better which makes you think you aren't.

Whose PSN is "Supa_" and some random numbers on GAF?

I was playing a friend and never accepted you invitation. Sorry about that.
It was pretty intense so I lost track of time and never replied.

Is there another name for those capture cards to record ps3 games?

I am looking at a Microcenter website since one just opened up near me. I'm hoping to pick up something from Grand Opening sales. But I can't find seem to find it.

EDIT: Found it as video capture and something else...tired I am.

U2 pros

-Will punish chip attempts (i.e. bison going for chip scissors)
-Guaranteed Damage
-Comboable

U2 Cons
YOU BETTER HIT IT.
Not good for Random Ultra as its blockable on reaction.

U1 Pros
-Strong on mixup
-No punish for whiffing it (lol)

U1 Cons
-If the opponent knows how to run you arent doing anything with this (juri is a awful chaser)
-reversible. Extremely reversible.

Sorry to run so quick DBJoseph, I'd been in that room for a while and I actually have to go for a run.

My Sakura will have revenge for the humiliation bestowed upon her.

God's Beard said:
Dudley's U2 utility:
combo city
anti-air
reversal
anti close fireball
counter attack
option select MK

Dudley's U1 utility:
anti-meaty fireball (nah you can beat some fireballs on reaction)
anti-Blanka Balls (but is wonky)
vs Honda Headbutt (block and reversal ultra)
vs shoto sweep (the best kept secret, block and ultra. might not work vs Ken but might also work vs Ibuki and Rose)
vs Hawk Condor Dive (block and ultra)

added some COOL SHIT

Big Chungus

How is SSF4 for someone who hasn't played fighters much?

I'd like to start getting good at fighting games and i'm not sure if this is the right one to start with.

Shadow780 said:
srly, $18 for the costume pack?!

jesus fucking christ....

Cheaper than all of us retards that bought the costumes separately. I really think the first wave should've been free, especially since they had the "hooks" in the game to produce new DLC.

But the DLC argument has been harped on endlessly.

viewtiful_dru said:
added some COOL SHIT

I just put what I think makes it worth choosing for.

Dudley's U1 utility:
anti-meaty fireball (nah you can beat some fireballs on reaction)

sure, if they throw them. sometimes it's nice to get certain characters to stop throwing fireballs, but Dudley doesn't have much of a problem with them to begin with. I'd rather have U2.

anti-Blanka Balls (but is wonky)

how so? it's guaranteed punish on any blanka ball on block. you just have to watch for the timing. You can do the same with EX MGB, but U1 is way more useful against blanka to me.

vs Honda Headbutt (block and reversal ultra)

I do like U1 vs Honda, I just didn't put it there because it's pretty much the one move. I'm pretty sure I remember countering it with U2 anyway.

vs shoto sweep (the best kept secret, block and ultra. might not work vs Ken but might also work vs Ibuki and Rose)

this is actually a good point. I always forget about it because I'm too worried about other punishes.

vs Hawk Condor Dive (block and ultra)

Again, it's good, but it's just the one move.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
AkumaHokoru said:
U2 pros

-Will punish chip attempts (i.e. bison going for chip scissors)
-Guaranteed Damage
-Comboable

U2 Cons
YOU BETTER HIT IT.
Not good for Random Ultra as its blockable on reaction.

U1 Pros
-Strong on mixup
-No punish for whiffing it (lol)

U1 Cons
-If the opponent knows how to run you arent doing anything with this (juri is a awful chaser)
-reversible. Extremely reversible.

so its Street Fighter Fourable u say!!!

Killa Sasa said:
Sorry to run so quick DBJoseph, I'd been in that room for a while and I actually have to go for a run.

My Sakura will have revenge for the humiliation bestowed upon her.
I always seem to catch you when you're leaving. :lol
The battle of the pantsu will continue to another day.

Zapages

Hitokage said:
While the urge to troll is great with T. Hawk, anyone seriously playing him knows not to randomly dive into a block.

Try to jump and dive so it does a cross up... Its all about the foot position and jump... I played a real awesome t. hawk today on psn: Dart2623

Spiderjericho said:
Cheaper than all of us retards that bought the costumes separately. I really think the first wave should've been free, especially since they had the "hooks" in the game to produce new DLC.

But the DLC argument has been harped on endlessly.

Not really. If you think about it, buying them separately saves you money if you only want the alts for your favorite characters. It's still bullshit though, since the DLC is still locked on the disc like the last game!

fna84 said:
How is SSF4 for someone who hasn't played fighters much?

I'd like to start getting good at fighting games and i'm not sure if this is the right one to start with.

It's one of the easier fighters to learn. Tekken 6 is pretty beginner friend too. Find some people on GAF to play with and your good.

qcf x2

AZ Greg said:
So, now that the game has been out about 3 months, I'm wondering what ultra everyone has made their "go-to" ultra for their mains and why? And if you play someone with 2 useful ultras like Chun then you can get lost. :p Or at least post your logic why you use one over the other in certain match-ups.

I don't have a main per say but:

Cammy - U2. Intimidates opponents and conditions them not to jump in even after a non techable knockdown. Destroys Dhalsim. Both of these things are assuming you do it on reaction, not psychically. U1 is good for a certain mixup.

Rose - U2 vs fast characters. U1 vs Honda, Gief, Blanka, Balrog. It counters and punishes.

Sakura - U2 because it's easier to land.

Juri - U1 because it has the most max damage potential and can be easily set up. Also U2 has that weird character specific wallbounce timing after the EX divekick.

Makoto - U2. Can land from any distance, doesn't require a full super meter for max damage, decent anti-air.

Viper - U1 is better but there are def matchups where I truly believe U2 is better. There are two types of opponents for Viper. Those she can fight at range, and those who like to fight her by forcing their way in close. Versus the latter you always choose U1. For the former, my rule is: If you can land a (normal) seismo reliably, choose U2.

GamerSoul

Zapages said:
Try to jump and dive so it does a cross up... Its all about the foot position and jump... I played a real awesome t. hawk today on psn: Dart2623

I ran into a good t.hawk a few days ago, he had like 4000bp. I really got wrecked since I know nothing about the guy but I was able to get a round off of him. I guessed right and hit him with my Sak's Shin Hadoken as an anti air move at the pinnacle of his flight, twas beautiful I must say.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
dragonballjoseph said:
And is for scrubs.
>_>
u2 = free flower kick, cr.lk, ex shunpakyu.
which means you get an ultra hit and can still pursue sakuras horribly nerfed stun game.

meaty flowerkick into cr.lk is damn hard tho.
>_>
counterhits are, luckily, free online.

Pandaman said:
u2 = free flower kick, cr.lk, ex shunpakyu.
which means you get an ultra hit and can still pursue sakuras horribly nerfed stun game.

meaty flowerkick into cr.lk is damn hard tho.
>_>
counterhits are, luckily, free online.
I didn't know you could link after that.
Which reminds me of a ghetto frame trap I've come across. After a flower kick, if you do a low forward, it'll counterhit any poke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom