• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
SephirothRK said:
Viper only has 1 ultra, I never heard of the 2nd one.

Yeah her second ultra is useless.

With Cammy I have no "go-to" ultra. I pick an ultra based on the match up.

explodet

Hakan's U2 all the way for me. If you're playing anybody with any sort of air game, it'll surprise you with just how many things it beats.
See how it beats sumo headbutts, blanka balls, psycho crushers, jagga toofs and cannon strikes. Marvel as it beats Ken's U1. Thrill as it defeats Bison's U2.

Of course if you're playing against players who stay on the ground the only reliable way to land it is through a FA.

Dudley's U2 utility:
combo city
anti-air
reversal
anti close fireball
counter attack
option select MK

Dudley's U1 utility:
anti-meaty fireball
anti-Blanka

Fei Long's U1 utility:
anti close fireball
combo shanty town
counter attack

Fei Long's U2 utility:
anti-C.Viper

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
explodet said:
Hakan's U2 all the way for me. If you're playing anybody with any sort of air game, it'll surprise you with just how many things it beats.
See how it beats sumo headbutts, blanka balls, psycho crushers, jagga toofs and cannon strikes. Marvel as it beats Ken's U1. Thrill as it defeats Bison's U2.

Of course if you're playing against players who stay on the ground the only reliable way to land it is through a FA.

I only used hakan's U2 for awhile but I use it less and less now. There's a few I always will(Fuerte, Seth, Adon, Ibuki, Cammy...maybe a few others) but I use U1 on most of the cast. I'm still not sure if I should use U2 on Vega and Bison, they both can easily bait it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
AZ Greg said:
So, now that the game has been out about 3 months, I'm wondering what ultra everyone has made their "go-to" ultra for their mains and why?

Both of Sim's ultras are pretty good, so I go back and forth depending on which character/human I'm facing.

Ultra 2 only:

Abel - He can EX roll out of U1 setups too easily. U2 can grab him out of rolls. U2 can stuff either of Abel's ultras and can punish U1 on block. It can also punish whiffed tornado throws if you read/bait them well.

Boxer - Can ultra 2 dash punches on reaction, or whiffed/blocked headbutts and Boxer's ultra 1. Yoga catastrophe is also useful too, but usually it'll trade with a dash punch and can't punish a whiffed Boxer U1.

El Fuerte - He can escape U1 setups too easily with EX leg jump move thing.

Honda - Punishes blocked headbutts (not all of them). Good zoning tool.

Beginner/intermediate Ryu/Ken/Sagat - Able to punish fireballs, SRKs, tatsumakis/tiger knees, jumpins if read/baited properly. It's much harder against good shotos, so against good shotos I just use ultra 1.

T.Hawk - Punishes condor dive easily.

Claw - counters wall dive shenanigans.

Gief - counters lariat, jumpins, good zoning tool. Much more useful than U1.

Ultra 1 only:

Guile - he's always holding down/back and has good recovery on his moves, so it's very hard to find a shangrila opening. Plus, using Ultra 1 tends to break up guile's defense.

Rose that uses U2 - good to cause pressure and break up Rose's defense.

For all the other characters, I just use a mix of both ultras either because I'm still testing them out and don't know what is more useful, or because they are both useful.

Basically, if a character's wakeup game is good, or if they have a good reversal move with startup invul, then Yoga Catastrophe is not useful for wakeup shenanigans. If a character has lots of moves that have at least +5 or something recovery (I think??) then Yoga Shangrila is a great punisher.

A lot of Ultras you have to decide if changing your opponent's patterns is worth sacrificing damage for.

Just like with Dudley's U1, I almost never hit with it because people won't use attacks it beats, but because they don't use those attacks, the rest of the match becomes easier.

Threi

notag
Both of DeeJay's ultras are pretty crappy (his U1 is a crippled Chun U1 and his U2 is a charge/crippled Ryu U2) but I have migrated from U1 to U2 lately. U1 is supposed to be better against shotos but IMO it's range isn't that great (its worse than EX Sobat), it's only useful for punishing really bad fireballs. (the type where you would eat a fat jump in combo from any character in the game)

I tend not to use either in matches but at least U2 has some sort of ability to combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkAJUX0C8Ng

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Degen said:
Question for the Padwarrior master race:

Best controller for this game? I imagine it's MadCatz Fightpad vs Hori Fighting Commander 3 vs a Sega Saturn clone.

Saturn pad > Fightpad > Nothing else.

USD

God's Beard said:
Fei Long's U1 utility:
anti close fireball
combo shanty town
counter attack
I've always hated Fei's U1 as anti-fireball, too risky. It only works at extremely close range. Beyond that, half of the time the first hit connects but the second one whiffs, and you'll get punished to hell and back for missing. A lot of times I'll save Super for shotos, much more effective.

explodet

I only used hakan's U2 for awhile but I use it less and less now. There's a few I always will(Fuerte, Seth, Adon, Ibuki, Cammy...maybe a few others) but I use U1 on most of the cast. I'm still not sure if I should use U2 on Vega and Bison, they both can easily bait it.
Adon players loves to bait U2, I find. I try not to rely on it when playing chars like the ones you mentioned, but it still comes in handy. I find that I end up whiffing U1 a ton, but that may only be because I've relied on U2 for so long.

And no matter what you say about Fei Long's U1, at least it's not his U2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThRwXfBfU1o

God's Beard said:
Fei Long's U1 utility:
anti close fireball
combo shanty town
counter attack

Fei Long's U2 utility:
anti-C.Viper

Fei Long's U2 is good against Gouki's vortex options, since it will beat what would lose to Flame Kick and vice-versa.

Also I got screwed by Rufus's cr.HP when I wanted to U1 after having successsfully baited it. Only the first hit connected.

AZ Greg

PotatoHead said:
You know, Valle once told me that players will eventually hit a proverbial plateau to where he/she cannot get better due to either execution or strategy. Perhaps you just hit your plateau? I for one don't believe in that. I say don't throw in the towel and just find some determination and hunger to play.

Yeah, I think that's crap too. It's sorta funny how many videogame "pros" bring up the natural argument or the inevitable wall that "normal" gamers will hit. Almost like they want to inflate their accomplishments. Ignoring things like physical disabilities and old age, it's all about putting in the time and effort. That said, it does "click" faster for some.

AZ Greg said:
Yeah, I think that's crap too. It's sorta funny how many videogame "pros" bring up the natural argument or the inevitable wall that "normal" gamers will hit. Almost like they want to inflate their accomplishments. Ignoring things like physical disabilities and old age, it's all about putting in the time and effort. That said, it does "click" faster for some.

Funny, I believe in the whole plateau thing even though the top players around here share your opinion.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Degen said:
Question for the Padwarrior master race:

Best controller for this game? I imagine it's MadCatz Fightpad vs Hori Fighting Commander 3 vs a Sega Saturn clone.
sixaxis>ds2>ds3>madcatz>hori>saturn>NES>360

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
When I hit that "plateau" I just take a break from the game and come back to kick ass upgraded. That's what I am going through at the moment =P

Threi

notag
its more like build your way up, hit your head on the plateau, bounce back down, work your way up again, hit your head again, bounce back down, repeat until you actually say "fuck it" and give up on the game

Threi said:
its more like build your way up, hit your head on the plateau, bounce back down, work your way up again, hit your head again, bounce back down, repeat until you actually say "fuck it" and give up on the game
Just curious Threi, do you actually play locally against other humans at all or it just online for you? Latency and timing issues can really throw you off, especially with the character you play. Also, at least for me, playing locally with another person makes me feel like there is more at stake, especially if I get sent to the back of the line if I lose.

but what do I know I already quit this game lolz

Anony

does anyone have the move list for SSF4 in the vein of:
3447311682_1657115ccd_b.jpg

in high res

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Holy Order Sol said:
Funny, I believe in the whole plateau thing even though the top players around here share your opinion.

Natural ability and reflexes count for a lot... some people will just never reach top level, like some people will never play in the NBA, different skills that's all and thats ok.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Natural ability and reflexes count for a lot... some people will just never reach top level, like some people will never play in the NBA, different skills that's all and thats ok.

Pretty much sums up my opinion on the topic except for the part about it being ok.

Myomoto said:
Same thing goes for any sport, job, and practically anything in life. Suck it up.

Well duh. I'm aware of that, you don't have to remind me. I just wish the hypocrisy in the community around where I live would stop. But I guess that would go against the efforts to make it grow.

Threi

notag
_dementia said:
Just curious Threi, do you actually play locally against other humans at all or it just online for you?
Online, I'm a fair bit better than everyone I face offline (doesn't stop them from talking trash though). However I've just had more fun dicking around in training mode than playing matches, it's depressing as hell, even when I win.

Too lazy to get into the "scene" thing too.

Anony said:
does anyone have the move list for SSF4 in the vein of:
3447311682_1657115ccd_b.jpg

in high res
Scanner + Your instruction manual + Photoshop?

Hey guys, quick question

Does anyone know the name of the Tournament Final Match music from SSFIV? I am trying to cut together a video real quick and lost all the audio in the process and thought that music would be really appropriate as a replacement.

Threi said:
Online, I'm a fair bit better than everyone I face offline (doesn't stop them from talking trash though)

Then who else is there to represent the Threijay?

Oh snap. I never realized that Gen had two command list screens in Vanilla. I just assumed that Capcom hated Gen and didn't bother finishing it showing his moveset. :lol

hitsugi

Threi said:
Online, I'm a fair bit better than everyone I face offline (doesn't stop them from talking trash though). However I've just had more fun dicking around in training mode than playing matches, it's depressing as hell, even when I win.

Depressing, even when you win..? Lagtastic matches or what? I'm familiar with not feeling up for playing online matches, but I also play on PSN. These days it's all local, vs cpu, or training for me. Luckily, there's plenty of local comp here..

derFeef

It´s like my brain is too slow... so frustrating. And the most frustrating thing is that I have no idea why opponents get their punches out quicker then me. I mean, I can not press any faster and even light punches come out slower than every punch of my enemy. Really frustrating. I have come so far to blame my stick because I have no idea why this is happening.

I am lurking and reading the forums and am training for weeks now, but I can not improve a bit.

hitsugi

DarknessTear said:
No game pisses me off more than this one in ranked match.

When I see a Ryu or a Ken I want to hang myself.

rather deal with them than T.Hawk or Gief just about any day.

explodet

DarknessTear said:
They should change the netcode so that people who only choose Ryu and Ken only get to fight other Ryu/Ken players. Like what they said they'd do with disconnectors in TvC.

It'd be Street Fighter 1 all over again!

vg260

Rentahamster said:
Both of Sim's ultras are pretty good, so I go back and forth depending on which character/human I'm facing.

Ultra 1 only:

Guile - he's always holding down/back and has good recovery on his moves, so it's very hard to find a shangrila opening. Plus, using Ultra 1 tends to break up guile's defense.

Just curious, do you ever do the Yoga Shangri-La motion as d,df,f,d,df,f,uf+3P? You can do it off the ground this way without jumping to hit low and catch ducking blockers if close enough. I found it incredibly useful this way, especially against turtlers.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Should also add for Dudley U1:

Anti Honda
Anti Bison teleport and psycho crusher
Anti Gief wiffed 360

Well it only beats one honda move, right? I don't know if that counts as anti-honda.

And I'm pretty sure if you option select and bison does a close teleport, the U1 whiffs.

Just about anything is anti whiffed 360.

derFeef said:
It´s like my brain is too slow... so frustrating. And the most frustrating thing is that I have no idea why opponents get their punches out quicker then me. I mean, I can not press any faster and even light punches come out slower than every punch of my enemy. Really frustrating. I have come so far to blame my stick because I have no idea why this is happening.

I am lurking and reading the forums and am training for weeks now, but I can not improve a bit.

Just curious, what display are you playing on?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
2&2 said:
Just curious, do you ever do the Yoga Shangri-La motion as d,df,f,d,df,f,uf+3P? You can do it off the ground this way without jumping to hit low and catch ducking blockers if close enough. I found it incredibly useful this way, especially against turtlers.
Yeah. That's how you are supposed to quickly punish things like blocked fierce Honda headbutt.

You can also buffer in the qcfx2 and hit up and PPP on reaction to stuff like fireballs or dash punches etc.

derFeef

the_log_ride said:
Just curious, what display are you playing on?
PC lcd. This should not be the problem imo. Its more like I am struggling with the speed of my opponent, as I press lp but he hits me with a whole combo in the meantime. May sound weird, but I feel like that.

Hope my Super comes tomorrow and any of you guys can help/check me out.

Yackie

DarknessTear said:
No game pisses me off more than this one in ranked match.

I'm new to this game and decided to start learning with Ryu since I heard he was a good character for beginners. Getting into this scene is intimidating as it is. Seeing posts like this make it feel even worse :(

AZ Greg

derFeef, it sounds like you're getting caught in frame traps. If you block an attack that leaves your opponent at a frame advantage then your opponent can maintain pressure, and beat out your jabs, with moves that are technically slower.

If it's something else then just ignore that.

Yackie said:
I'm new to this game and decided to start learning with Ryu since I heard he was a good character for beginners. Getting into this scene is intimidating as it is. Seeing posts like this make it feel even worse :(

Just play whichever character you want for whatever reason you see fit, fuck everything else.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
explodet said:
Adon players loves to bait U2, I find. I try not to rely on it when playing chars like the ones you mentioned, but it still comes in handy. I find that I end up whiffing U1 a ton, but that may only be because I've relied on U2 for so long.

And no matter what you say about Fei Long's U1, at least it's not his U2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThRwXfBfU1o

Adon's try and bait it but only really can with the wall dive move(Jaguar Tooth?). It still catches Jaguar Kick and Rising Jaguar which limits him a lot.

Oh, and I always use U1 on Dudley since even good dudley's seem to slip in a light MGB at some point, which I then 720 punish.

Hugbot

Holy Order Sol said:
Just play whichever character you want for whatever reason you see fit, fuck everything else.
This. People are gonna get mad regardless, play whoever is fun for you. The only reason I stopped playing Gief online was how easy it was to mash out SPDs to punish tough links that get dropped online, so I was picking up some bad habits.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ACE 1991 said:
Ugh... Would any seasoned Ryu players like to play some games with me and help me work on my game? I've hit a brick wall so to speak, and starting to want to throw in the towel for good :lol

Well, I don't play Ryu, but one of the reasons I started playing Makoto is because I sucked (and still do, compared to a lot of people) at the meta game and felt I was hitting a plateau mostly for that reason. Makoto is more reliant on the meta game than most characters. She's at her strongest when she's in a position to force her opponent to guess, and if she gets 2 or 3 good reads, she wins the round.

But being able to play the meta game benefits you no matter what character you're playing, not just Makoto, even though she's able to capitalize on good reads more than most.

Next, I'm gonna start playing Chun or Fei Long farily seriously because I only have a very basic concept of footsies. And even if you're like me and main a character that doesn't have much of a footsie game, it benefits you to at least know what your opponent is doing.

Not saying that you've hit a plateau for the same reasons I felt like I hit one, but just wanted to explain why sometimes if you want to level up your game with one character, you should start playing a different character.

PotatoHead said:
You know, Valle once told me that players will eventually hit a proverbial plateau to where he/she cannot get better due to either execution or strategy. Perhaps you just hit your plateau? I for one don't believe in that. I say don't throw in the towel and just find some determination and hunger to play.

I think this is true to a certain extent, but you can't be all like "well, I'm not getting any better, I guess there's nothing I can do to break through the ceiling..." because then it probably becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

XenoRaven

Lost Fragment said:
Well, I don't play Ryu, but one of the reasons I started playing Makoto is because I sucked (and still do, compared to a lot of people) at the meta game and felt I was hitting a plateau mostly for that reason. Makoto is more reliant on the meta game than most characters. She's at her strongest when she's in a position to force her opponent to guess, and if she gets 2 or 3 good reads, she wins the round.

But being able to play the meta game benefits you no matter what character you're playing, not just Makoto, even though she's able to capitalize on good reads more than most.
This seems like such an off-handed post, yet it said a lot to me.

I've always wanted to learn how to play Abel when I got to a point where I feel I'm competent with Chun. I've used him from time to time, but have pretty much abandoned the idea of ever playing him completely because of his reliance on mixups and offensive pressure combined with the fact that I have no idea how to implement those like I see other Abels do. So I pretty much decided I'm going to stick with more traditional zoning characters like Ryu or Guile, and if I ever wanted to try and get into a more offensive character, it would be someone without a command throw since I can't seem to wrap my head around how to use them for anything other than punishes. I never even thought about using Abel to improve my offense with Chun and other characters. I might have to put my nose to the grind and see if I can't make something happen with him. I like Makoto a lot too, so I may give her a shot.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
XenoRaven said:
This seems like such an off-handed post, yet it said a lot to me.

I've always wanted to learn how to play Abel when I got to a point where I feel I'm competent with Chun. I've used him from time to time, but have pretty much abandoned the idea of ever playing him completely because of his reliance on mixups and offensive pressure combined with the fact that I have no idea how to implement those like I see other Abels do. So I pretty much decided I'm going to stick with more traditional zoning characters like Ryu or Guile, and if I ever wanted to try and get into a more offensive character, it would be someone without a command throw since I can't seem to wrap my head around how to use them for anything other than punishes. I never even thought about using Abel to improve my offense with Chun and other characters. I might have to put my nose to the grind and see if I can't make something happen with him. I like Makoto a lot too, so I may give her a shot.
Man, I told you this earlier. :p

XenoRaven

Yeah...I guess you did. :lol

The only difference is that I don't feel the need to take a break from Chun, nor do I think taking a break would help at this point. I play too infrequently and there are too many things I still need to learn. But picking up another character at the same time would probably help my game. While I'm somewhat committed to Abel, Makoto is tempting because of how much she relies on her dashes to get around, and I really don't make use of Chun's great dashes enough. Plus she's got short limbs and will help me appreciate Chun's pokes more. We'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom