• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
dragonballjoseph said:
I didn't know you could link after that.
Which reminds me of a ghetto frame trap I've come across. After a flower kick, if you do a low forward, it'll counterhit any poke.
only on counterhit or meaty. but its a hard meaty because its only got 2 active frames. luckily you can eyeball it easily enough as its recovering. counterhit links are free ofcourse.

thats a nice trap tho, i imagine the pushback negates an ex shunpakyu followup, but free srk's are still lovely. :p

Masamuna

qcf x2 said:
Makoto - U2. Can land from any distance, doesn't require a full super meter for max damage, decent anti-air.

I'd have to disagree with this. U1 can be applied in more situations succesfully compared to U2.

Anti-Air? U1 all the way. Landing either ultra as AA means you telegraphed their jump. With U1 the damage is guaranteed because its a cutscene, with U2 if the planets werent aligned and the fat kid in the underpass stage wasn't dancing hard enough you will zip past them after the initial hit.

U2 can catch backdashes. I've noticed in several mirror matches that the other Makoto will U2 on my wakeup. To be honest I ate it the first time. That's it. Karakusa also can eat up backdashes in situations like this (as well as post hayate) which means U1 can also be applied here.

U2 can tag random FA's. But outside of fullscreen Makoto has ways to deal with this for the most part.

U2 is technically a fireball deterrent.....but not really. As slow as it is its actually kinda useless in the few matchups where you really want it to work. Having no invincibility on the way down also is a bummer.

You can cross up with U2 after a backthrow in the corner (and mid stage on certain characters). Its a nice gimmick.

IIRC you can combo U2 after an AA fukiage. But U1 can be comboed after karakusa. And tsurugi. And meaty/CH oroshi. And CH s.MP. And of course Hayate xx super.

U2 does more damage with less meter. But because U1 has more options you see it way more often.

qcf x2

Rentahamster said:
Really? I'm more scared of ultra one.

You pretty much have to lose the range game to get hit by U1, but most people don't use U2 as a reactionary move. I think most people don't even consider the idea. :-/

As for Makoto, I know everyone uses her U1 (ditto Viper). I just find myself more comfortable with U2 as it covers more range and yes, beats many (not all) projectiles.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well, Mak's U2 is really safe on whiff. It has that going for it at least.

When I use her U2 I usually use it more as an escape move. I used it against Saty's Sim when I played him recently because he was murdering me with those 50/50 U1 setups.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
qcf x2 said:
You pretty much have to lose the range game to get hit by U1, but most people don't use U2 as a reactionary move. I think most people don't even consider the idea. :-/

As for Makoto, I know everyone uses her U1 (ditto Viper). I just find myself more comfortable with U2 as it covers more range and yes, beats many (not all) projectiles.
Well, in my case, if Cammy uses Ultra2, I know I can attempt Sim's rushdown and wakeup game a little more easily than if Cammy had Ultra 2. I don't really "lose" the range game as much as I rush that shit down with Dhalsim for the lulz.

BitchTits

qcf x2 said:
Makoto - U2. Can land from any distance, doesn't require a full super meter for max damage, decent anti-air.
I agree but I see a lot of people prefering U1 though, think I may have gotten in a bad habit of always using U2 even against non-fireball characters. U1 is difficult to land for me since I hardly ever use Karakusa.

I'd like to think I have a pretty decent THawk, and I have no problem diving at someone who is blocking. Most people only punish with a sweep, and Hawk has so much health that it doesn't really matter.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DanDeschain said:
I'd like to think I have a pretty decent THawk, and I have no problem diving at someone who is blocking. Most people only punish with a sweep, and Hawk has so much health that it doesn't really matter.
You do realize they can punish with anything, right?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DanDeschain said:

Most characters can ultra punish on block, I'd definitely be careful.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DanDeschain said:
thats nice of them.
stop diving on blockers.
even t-hawk cant stand the kind of pain it opens you up for.

SoulFist

GGs Jam and AZ Greg. Jam, you got a nice Balrog, and your Juri cross up pressure was fun to watch. Fun games. :D!

Greg...TELL ME YOUR SEEEEECRETSSSSS. I feel like every move I do against you is unsafe. Every time I tried to move forward even if I just tapped the stick I was up in the air geting EX Wall dived. Crazy stuff. Hopefully my Balrog has improved a little bit since the last time we played.

Wiseblade

DanDeschain said:

I wish I had your luck. Usually when I give my opponent the opportunity to punish with whatever they like, they take it.

God's Beard said:
I just put what I think makes it worth choosing for.

Dudley's U1 utility:
anti-meaty fireball (nah you can beat some fireballs on reaction)

sure, if they throw them. sometimes it's nice to get certain characters to stop throwing fireballs, but Dudley doesn't have much of a problem with them to begin with. I'd rather have U2.

anti-Blanka Balls (but is wonky)

how so? it's guaranteed punish on any blanka ball on block. you just have to watch for the timing. You can do the same with EX MGB, but U1 is way more useful against blanka to me.

vs Honda Headbutt (block and reversal ultra)

I do like U1 vs Honda, I just didn't put it there because it's pretty much the one move. I'm pretty sure I remember countering it with U2 anyway.

vs shoto sweep (the best kept secret, block and ultra. might not work vs Ken but might also work vs Ibuki and Rose)

this is actually a good point. I always forget about it because I'm too worried about other punishes.

vs Hawk Condor Dive (block and ultra)

Again, it's good, but it's just the one move.
Well yeah, take note of how I specify single important moves and I don't say "Ultra X is anti a whole character!" Because I know that neither ultra has the capability to completely shut down an opponents' gameplan. After all, it only works once (or maybe twice if you get focus a lot and get ultra early).

Using U2 vs Honda, don't you have to anticipate the headbutt? I'm sure you and I would use U1 against him for the same reason: no more free chip from headbutts. Despite his high health, he won't like eating U1, since you have the same amount of health in comparison. I mean, you can still punish (some) them with MP MGB, but he can kind of shrug it off, so I think stocking the ultra for a 'scare tactic' works well once the Honda player realizes that shit ain't free. Makes my job easier.

About Blanka balls... I don't have a problem utilizing U1 or MGB but some people have problems with it. But I never fought a good Blanka that just does several random balls

Also, it's really useful against Akuma, because it gimps his air fireballs game. And of course normal fireballs/sweep.

But I could totally see why you'd use U2 vs Hawk. I'm still testing shit out.

Of course, everyone knows that U2 generally has more utility in more matchups, but I want to find out all of the useful applications of U1.

By the way, vs Guile, U1 or U2? I always go with U2.
And vs Sagat? I think it's a toss up.

gutter_trash said:
anti-Honda
Can you explain this? It only really stops him from doing headbutts for free chip. Honda can still make your life as Dudley very miserable without them.

hitsugi

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I was just noting the insane price for content already on the disc.

Didn't realize it'd add up like that.

yeah, the costume pack milking is getting a little old now.. there should be some sort of discount on the full packs for people that have purchased 1 or 2 character packs already

LosDaddie

Banned
riceandbeans said:
Definitely agree there. I'm sort of at that point as well with execution and strategies. I've been relying on the same shit for the past year now and can't seem to get any better because I can't pull off extensive combos, pressure, etc. that will improve my game. .

That's pretty much where I'm at with my main (Akuma). I'd like to get better, but I don't have the time to improve. :( But this "plateau" is something I accepted a long time ago when I first started gaming online; That there's always going to be someone better than me...and I'm not going to be able to win every game.

AZ Greg said:
So, now that the game has been out about 3 months, I'm wondering what ultra everyone has made their "go-to" ultra for their mains and why?

Definitely Akuma's U2 for me. Why? Because I could only rarely get his U1 off in vanilla, whereas I can sneek in his U2 on a regualr basis in SUPER.

Holy Order Sol said:
Yackie said:
I'm new to this game and decided to start learning with Ryu since I heard he was a good character for beginners. Getting into this scene is intimidating as it is. Seeing posts like this make it feel even worse :(
Just play whichever character you want for whatever reason you see fit, fuck everything else.

Yup. Shotos are popular online, so of course they get the most hate on GAF.

Just play whatever character you enjoy and fuck the haters.

viewtiful_dru said:
Well yeah, take note of how I specify single important moves and I don't say "Ultra X is anti a whole character!" Because I know that neither ultra has the capability to completely shut down an opponents' gameplan. After all, it only works once (or maybe twice if you get focus a lot and get ultra early).

Using U2 vs Honda, don't you have to anticipate the headbutt?

I don't think it's too much harder than punishing fireballs with U1, but I generally like to use U1 vs Honda anyway. It's definitely a bastard of a matchup.

About Blanka balls... I don't have a problem utilizing U1 or MGB but some people have problems with it. But I never fought a good Blanka that just does several random balls

Of course not, it's even better if they don't do any. Blanka is one of those matchups where you can just sit on your ass and whiff ducking all day.

Also, it's really useful against Akuma, because it gimps his air fireballs game. And of course normal fireballs/sweep.

Sure, but so does ducking straight and EX MGB. I like to have U2 because the Akumas are more comfortable throwing fireballs when I have it, and he has so little health to begin with.

By the way, vs Guile, U1 or U2? I always go with U2.

U2 by default, I tried to punish his sweep with U1 but for some reason I can never pull it off. And he recovers so fast you'd have to be in U2 range for anti-fireballs anyway.

And vs Sagat? I think it's a toss up.

I like U1 just because it's so hard to stay on top of him, and his giant normals are sometimes slow enough to punish.

hitsugi said:
yeah, the costume pack milking is getting a little old now.. there should be some sort of discount on the full packs for people that have purchased 1 or 2 character packs already
Did the bundle come out yet?

fubarduck

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Costume compilation pack is live on XBOX marketplace!

It's 1440pts for a 236.00 KB size download! :lol

I didn't know we measured the value of content by the amount of disk space it takes up on a computer now. That's like going to the bookstore and expecting to pay 5 bucks for a new paperback.

derFeef

Got my Super and the Prima guide, which is pretty neat I have to say.
Now I have whined a lot recently how bad I am at SFIV and I do not know why - so I would be happy if someone could check me out and maybe give me some tips. I am adding my GT to the SCRUBS thread, obviously ;)

Maybe we will meet online then.

hitsugi

_dementia said:
When you say entire costume set, does that include Alt 1 for the vanilla characters?

pretty sure it's just the new alt pack for everyone.. seeing as how they still sell all of the old alt 1 packs

fubarduck said:
I didn't know we measured the value of content by the amount of disk space it takes up on a computer now. That's like going to the bookstore and expecting to pay 5 bucks for a new paperback.

Nice work in the tourney.

Gyrian

Gentlemen, it's time.

198r35.png

s2v3a9.png

Original post explaining the first Mini-Tourney.

24417rt.png

This time, we will run 8 Players, double elimination.
If everything flows smoothly, the next tourney will continue this format with 16 players.

There will be a Grand Prize, and a 2nd place Prize.

All GAFers are welcome to enter, but I will give priority to those who are regulars in PSN GAF.

As before, no-shows will be replaced on the spot with players waiting for a chance in the chat room.

Tourney will once again take place @ 7pm CST; that is 5pm West Coast, 8pm East Coast.

5s60p.png

I've prepared the following format, which will get re-posted with results after the Tourney plays out.

29wx3sm.jpg

14takr7.png

Have any? I'm open to suggestions. This isn't my Tourney, it's SSFIV GAF's Tourney.
Thank you all who are part of this community, this one's for you. <3

2gtu92x.png

micrometaru.gif

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ACE 1991 said:
Why are all the tournaments seemingly PS3 only?
because thats where the community is.

and gyrian is a regular late night psn player who stepped up for the rest of us.

Gyrian

ACE 1991 said:
Why are all the tournaments seemingly PS3 only?

Couldn't really say; speaking personally, I can only help the PS3 version as that's the one I have.
With that limitation in mind, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand to anyone wanting to organize a Live Tourney.

You know, one thing that's made a huge difference for the PS3 community is without a doubt the persistent chat.
That's possibly part of it, since we keep shooting crazy ideas there on a regular basis.

EDIT:
Pandaman said:
i'd like to be in.

That reminds me, I need to design an icon that indicates a disconnect in a match. XD

micrometaru.gif

Gyrian

God's Beard said:
cross game chat > persistent chat

Not for interacting with 10+ people at the same time.
I'd say you get great uses out of both types of chat for different things.

Still, I was just throwing out a theory on why I think the PS3 community gathered up like this.
No need to turn it into what you have vs. what I have, and so on.

micrometaru.gif

Wiseblade said:
I wish I had your luck. Usually when I give my opponent the opportunity to punish with whatever they like, they take it.

How do you punish T. Hawk's dive when your blocking? Whenever he hits, he jumps back so far I can't land anything except Chun's cr. fierce 50% of the time.

qcf x2 said:
Juri - U1 because it has the most max damage potential and can be easily set up. Also U2 has that weird character specific wallbounce timing after the EX divekick.

U1 Max damage combo requires 2 fadcs and tops out at 600 dmg for all your meters

u2 1 ex does 527/541 on ch and the wall bounce isnt char spec for anything except the distance the timing is the same for everyone. when their body is horizontal but their arms arent.

gibration said:
The PS3 is the official SF GAF console. :D
Then why are the better players on the xbox (thats right you free kadey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom