• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parham

Banned
Hitokage said:
For horizontal charge moves, all you need to do is to have been holding back or down-back for about a second before pressing forward(not down-forward) and punch/kick. It doesn't matter what else you've been doing during that time.

Vertical charge moves are the same way, except you can use any down direction before hitting any up direction.

XenoRaven said:
Yeah. You just have to train yourself to be holding back whenever you're not moving forward basically. When you're performing an attack your character generally doesn't move, so you can press any direction and it won't matter. You have to get in the habit of doing that to hold a charge. It takes practice, but it becomes second nature with enough play time.

Thanks guys. I originally assumed that if I wanted to do something like a SBK, my only option would be holding the stick down (not down-back or down-forward).

Axis said:
is there any certain combo you're having trouble with?

I'm having difficulty combining Chun-Li's different charge moves together.

deadnoob

Well, I fired up my MAME cabinet today and played SFII. Needless to say, I bought SSFIV later in the day.

I'm pretty much a fighting game (and Street Fighter) noob, but I was having way too much fun with SFII and wanted to hop in on the action.

If anyone wants to add me on XBL, my gt is deadno0b.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
dragonballjoseph said:
Man, I was running a clinic with my Dan. Went on an 11 win streak. :lol

haha awesome, I love messing around with Dan , but I don't feel confident to take him online yet. My BnB with him is that annoying as hell Tiger Knee... it stuffs everything!

You know...I dont understand why people wanna say kadey is thin skinned or salty when she does what she does.

You mean to tell me if you invested time and money (and im not talking 10 dollars here) in something for shits and giggles and got hounded for it you wouldnt take shit a little personally and tell some people to fuck off? come on. I understand its the cool hip new age thing to let someone wipe shit on your face and not murder them AND their family (I do not subscribe to that magazine I will be a neanderthal till I die.) but everyone has a limit.

AkumaHokoru said:
You know...I dont understand why people wanna say kadey is thin skinned or salty when she does what she does.

You mean to tell me if you invested time and money (and im not talking 10 dollars here) in something for shits and giggles and got hounded for it you wouldnt take shit a little personally and tell some people to fuck off? come on. I understand its the cool hip new age thing to let someone wipe shit on your face and not murder them AND their family (I do not subscribe to that magazine I will be a neanderthal till I die.) but everyone has a limit.
thisisneogafdude.gif

Ploid 3.0

I always thought adding prizes to the tournaments was a bit too much. Even for items the tournament host doesn't want anymore. I would rather we all played for fun, but I guess it would take a lot more work to get 32 people to apply quickly to a tournament for fun.

That said we should do a gafchat team tournament. Not that small team battle format of one person fighting until he's dead. Each person fight the same letter of another team. A fight A, C fight C. Prize? a jpg. sticker and bragging rights.

Can you not rank down in this fucking game? Ever since my Cammy got to Rank B (which requires 5000BP) I've been getting my face slammed into the dirt so badly I'm now back at 4200. I want to be C again :'(

Axis

APZonerunner said:
Can you not rank down in this fucking game? Ever since my Cammy got to Rank B (which requires 5000BP) I've been getting my face slammed into the dirt so badly I'm now back at 4200. I want to be C again :'(

nope, shittiest part is you don't gain shit for points once you reach b =\

anyone wanna play? GT: vexco

just need some matchup experience so idc who you play :)

Axis said:
nope, shittiest part is you don't gain shit for points once you reach b =\

anyone wanna play? GT: vexco

just need some matchup experience so idc who you play :)

That's my problem, basically. I'm not actually losing any more than I used to, but now when I win I get 1-25BP but when I lose it's a guaranteed loss of 35. It's fucked. I cry. Might throw you an invite in a bit, I need to go do some work...

Gyrian

AkumaHokoru said:
to let someone wipe shit on your face.

Have they, though?

I understand that reactions are as diverse as there are people, but from what I've read here what created this situation was disagreement over a format and rules.

Kadey can choose to pass on any of things that are said, as she has. There is nothing wrong with this.
The road we're taking right now, I feel, is one where the 'missteps' of everyone involved will get exaggerated into something greater than what was really there.
We'll fall into two camps, and we won't come back from it.

We should be able to disagree without filling up with bad blood.
Think about this. I mean it for everyone reading.

The two posters named aren't wander-in entitlement randoms, they're a active, contributing members of this community.
It's a shame to count them out by default from future events that are a very special part of what makes this place so great and our community tighter.
This is the reason why I feel compelled to write this reply. Not meaning to add any more fuel to this fire.

CAVEAT: It's entirely possible that more has happened privately.
Understandably, with a different context, what I'm saying probably wouldn't apply completely.

micrometaru.gif

kiryogi

Banned
I'm saying it now. Just boycott her tournaments. I'm sure we as a whole could get something a bit more agreeable going if we tried.

zon

It's like this thread has started to turn into srk now. Why, in a few pages I'm sure half the posts will be about childish drama! Oh joy.

Oh Kadey, you got arts name wrong on that shirt. It's Artuto Santrez, just ask Chris Hu. And if you're making a t-shirt for Min you should try to squeeze in a reference to him thinking it was actually art writing all that shit when his facebook got hacked. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
kiryogi said:
I'm saying it now. Just boycott her tournaments. I'm sure we as a whole could get something a bit more agreeable going if we tried.

I think it would be more constructive to just try and do it, instead of whining about her tournies.

GAF is so entitled.

In other news, my Bison is now garbage. I spent so much time on my Sakura, my execution with Bison has dwindled over the past couple of days. This sucks because Atlanta Revivals is tomorrow, and I at least want to make it to top 8.
So I'm going to do one heck of a crack session tonight.

And people on my friend's list need to stop playing that Blazgreen.

Gyrian

kiryogi said:
I'm saying it now. Just boycott her tournaments.

I could not disagree more.

By putting this sentiment out there, you're also making sure that Kadey's removal of your welcome mat from her events is the only option she has.

micrometaru.gif

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
dragonballjoseph said:
GAF is so entitled.

In other news, my Bison is now garbage. I spent so much time on my Sakura, my execution with Bison has dwindled over the past couple of days. This sucks because Atlanta Revivals is tomorrow, and I at least want to make it to top 8.
So I'm going to do one heck of a crack session tonight.

And people on my friend's list need to stop playing that Blazgreen.

I've realized from this morning I need help with the matchup. Some Bison was all over my Rose with scissor kick blockstrings, even FADC to keep in my grill. I eventually figured it out. (Rose should use U1 in this matchup as well)

I already quit BB, Was hype for that game for months, and got unhype in 24 hours. I think this is the gaming gods telling me to quit competitive fighters.

arstal said:
I've realized from this morning I need help with the matchup. Some Bison was all over my Rose with scissor kick blockstrings, even FADC to keep in my grill. I eventually figured it out. (Rose should use U1 in this matchup as well)

I already quit BB, Was hype for that game for months, and got unhype in 24 hours. I think this is the gaming gods telling me to quit competitive fighters.
If you're in a corner, wait until after the second loop and do a crouch strong. It'll interupt any poke and non-ex scissors. If you're mid-screen, crouch strong should be fine after the first loop.

And I fear Rose's with U1 more than U2 simply because all Bison has to do is block one orb, because his EX PC absorbs an orb.

Ploid 3.0

I had this plan to see if I can challenge kiryogi to a first to ten wins type of thing so he could take my spot if he won. That would have been very fun. I just want to fight.

Also for big gaf rooms, we should start segmenting them a bit. Long lines, and tournament mode takes a while to get back in action if you never win. Maybe the social gaf chat (scrubchat) could be converted into a low room count alt for gafchat. And when we have custom tournaments (not tournament mode) we can use that room (take the chat over by force).

Capcom could have had something really special if everyone could fight at the same time in Tournament mode. If they wanted to spectate they should lose, or enter the lobby as a spectator. Sounds a bit too advanced for this gen (my new catchphrase).

I always seem to have trouble with T Hawk... I don't know why. I can beat him, but it's always an uphill struggle. Any tips? Cammy player. I feel like I should just wait back and punish his condor dives or whatever they're called with Cannon Spikes, but that never feels like enough and the moment I go on the offensive I get caught and a few mere hits rips me to shreds.

APZonerunner said:
I always seem to have trouble with T Hawk... I don't know why. I can beat him, but it's always an uphill struggle. Any tips? Cammy player. I feel like I should just wait back and punish his condor dives or whatever they're called with Cannon Spikes, but that never feels like enough and the moment I go on the offensive I get caught and a few mere hits rips me to shreds.

Unless you are absolutely confident in what you're doing and/or know when to back off, you just don't do this against Gief/T.Hawk. Keep them away, bait their main means of approaching so you can punish them when they whiff.

arstal said:

Dagan said:
yeah I'm about done taking Continuum Shift seriously.

Off topic but why the hate? I got tired of the original pretty quickly, was debating on whether on picking up CS down the road.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
_Xenon_ said:
The whole rank system and PP are pointless. They should have just put BP and win rate in the online mode.

Win rate? Yeah, like that wouldn't get abused.

I think the BP and PP system are fine as they are. The only adjustment that needs to be made is to not allow you to fight the same person twice in a row on Ranked Fights. That's how people boost their BP/PP - but really, who cares? I don't give a shit that someone has 9,000 BP and he sucks ass at the game. If the super high number makes him feel better about himself, that in no way impacts me.

I play online ranked fairly and without boosting, and I love watching my BP and PP numbers climb up and up.... or go down and down and down. :lol

Sir Garbageman said:
Off topic but why the hate? I got tired of the original pretty quickly, was debating on whether on picking up CS down the road.
It's a pretty demoralizing game for newcomers, despite employing many more chain combos as opposed to SF4's tight links. Also I don't know exactly why but a low-level SF4 player might get lucky and defeat a more skilled opponent but the same rarely if ever happens in BB.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
AkumaHokoru said:

Don't be such a child. kiry and ferrio committed the mortal sin of disagreeing with her, so she wants to cut off any relations with them. She's perfectly allowed to do that, but nobody has to think well of her for it.

then again, she now has you guys eating up shit like ranbats scored over how she personally thinks the match went down, so maybe the two of them had the right idea early on. :lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Haven't been playing the game much lately because I've been playing DQIX and some other games and busy with rl business, but I have started playing Ken and I'm surprised with how much fun I'm having with him.

SHORYUKEN!111

Gyrian

Lost Fragment said:
Haven't been playing the game much lately because I've been playing DQIX and some other games and busy with rl business, but I have started playing Ken and I'm surprised with how much fun I'm having with him.

SHORYUKEN!111

Nooo! ;_;

I always look forward to your Makoto videos.
Can I do the same with Ken? What are these conflicting feelings?

micrometaru.gif

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I probably won't be uploading any Ken videos. I think there are enough of those on the internet already :lol

Still not too many Makoto videos out there though.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Sir Garbageman said:

It's not hate. It's more disappointment at the steepness of the learning curve.

Seriously, I don't get how people can call BB easy and VF and KOF hard.

It's a demoralizing game for everyone who doesn't have top-notch execution skills, even moreso then CT.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Lost Fragment said:

SHORYUKEN!111
its a lie, kens just acting cool on the surface, but there's nothing more to him once you shack up. :(

XenoRaven

kiryogi said:
Hey guys I think we should boycott EVO next year because it's in Las Vegas. Who wants to go to Las Vegas? Nobody that's who. I know because I don't want to go there and my opinions always reflect everyone's feelings all the time forever. They should have it Sacramento because that's where everyone wants it. Just ask me. I know. Ok so boycott on let's do this.

I'm just saying though who knows why she actually removed those two from future events.

8onthebreak has a huge list of people who cant go there anymore (with alot of top names on it as well as normal people) because they did various shit to the point management didnt want to deal with their bellyaching anymore (i assume alot of these happened at tournaments because most of the names on the list dont go to jersey just to play) I dont know what happened but if she doesnt want them she doesnt want them. thats all there is to it.

she wants to do a weekly tournament but spice things up. as someone who ran tournaments when I worked in a hobby shop we had weekly yugi tournaments and the same 3 guys using the same exact broken deck won every week so i started changing up the format because people didnt want to play with those 3 and membership for the weeklies went down.

i understand she messed up when she said ranbats but thats the standard fighting game term for weekly ranking tournaments with a prize at the end (i guess she could have called them weeklies) but thats fine she put it out there for you guys to discuss. me? I just wanna fight so i dont really care about the format therefore i dont have any say due to me not caring.

as far as prizes go shes not sending some "cheap crap she doesnt want anymore" yes some of the prizes in the last tourney could have been seen as mere trinkets but some of them were also awesome and everyone who got something was happy with what they got...especially the 3 people who got 150 DOLLAR ARCADE STICKS.

either way this is alot of nothing being turned into more nothing. she wants to give you shit for playing street fighter who loses there?

Kimosabae

Banned
_dementia said:
It's a pretty demoralizing game for newcomers, despite employing many more chain combos as opposed to SF4's tight links. Also I don't know exactly why but a low-level SF4 player might get lucky and defeat a more skilled opponent but the same rarely if ever happens in BB.

Was gonna give you the bullet list until I realized it'd be a regurgitation of everything you probably know.

IMO, it all comes down to the game being slow as dirt, with a complete lack of any means to apply consistent offensive pressure. Shitty forward dashes, tight jab and short links, easy reversals - whoops, there I go!

In a game that allows offense like, BB, Melee, Marvel or GG, skill gaps tend to be wider simply because you're given more means to control your opponent.

Kimosabae said:
Was gonna give you the bullet list until I realized it'd be a regurgitation of everything you probably know.

IMO, it all comes down to the game being slow as dirt, with a complete lack of any means to apply consistent offensive pressure. Shitty forward dashes, tight jab and short links, easy reversals - whoops, there I go!

In a game that allows offense like, BB, Melee, Marvel or GG, skill gaps tend to be wider simply because you're given more means to control your opponent.

This is pretty much the only street fighter I've lost matches to people who dont know how to play because of how easy shit is now. hell autofire + random motions = somewhat dangerous opponent. where as in any other game you can simply beat their shit in for doing that.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I have this like, automatic mental "off" switch when it comes to message forum drama that doesn't involve me, so maybe I'm wrong and haven't been paying attention, but from my perspective it's not just that they disagreed with how she wanted to do things, it was they disagreed + they were overly brash about it. In which case, I'd probably act the same way if I were in her shoes.

I don't agree with her idea of scoring ranbats based on arbitrary rules on turtling and whatnot. But if the time comes and I feel like I still want to participate regardless, I don't think she'd ban me from participation so long as I wasn't presumptuous in the way I disagreed.

Alright, does anyone want to help me set up ranbats for PS3 side? I know there was mention of FMF wanting to set one up, too. If that's the case I want to help in any way possible. Let's make this shit happen. I know Kadey decided to do ranbats on 360-side only, so let's do one for dem PS3ers as well.

Kimosabae

Banned
AkumaHokoru said:
This is pretty much the only street fighter I've lost matches to people who dont know how to play because of how easy shit is now. hell autofire + random motions = somewhat dangerous opponent. where as in any other game you can simply beat their shit in for doing that.

To be fair, Capcom seems to have found the magic bullet when it comes designing a big-budget fighting game featuring a lot of characters - make the gameplay system as dry and constricting as possible.

You do have to give a lot of credit to top tier players that place high consistently, though. Players like Daigo and Justin do well because they have no scruples regarding patience, which allows them to manage tension very well. It's definitely a talent that cannot be understated.

I just don't find that type of gameplay fun.

hitsugi

the_log_ride said:
Alright, does anyone want to help me set up ranbats for PS3 side? I know there was mention of FMF wanting to set one up, too. If that's the case I want to help in any way possible. Let's make this shit happen. I know Kadey decided to do ranbats on 360-side only, so let's do one for dem PS3ers as well.

I'll help however possible.

Also take the Kadey shit to PMs or it's own thread, please. If Kadey runs tournaments a certain way and people disagree, that's fine. But to start saying boycott this, that... I mean, why? You don't like the tournament or who's running it, so don't participate and wait for other things to come along..

OR! Start one of your own. It's pretty simple... not every tournament needs insane prizes to be fun (fyi pretty much every tournament in japan has lesser prizes than what Kadey offers) so feel free to to take some initiative if you aren't happy.

Gyrian

the_log_ride said:

I'll volunteer to work on images for the ranks, in the style of the SFIV titles.
This is something we could use for the ranbats on both systems. :]

Hell, if we somehow agree on a format, I could see this becoming its own megathread where we track Live and PSN standings together.

micrometaru.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom