• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the_log_ride said:
Is it really dumbing it down, though? I see it like using the least amount of force necessary for any given situation.

And despite the "drama" up in here, I'm still glad to be a part of it all. Agree to disagree, Blanka can DIAF, etc. etc.
It is dumbing it down because you aren't being forced to think its just sigh do this. he's going to do it again. sigh do this again. really man? you aren't going to see i'm stopping this every time? sigh do this again. sigh. it drains me to play a bad match whereas i've enjoyed matches i lost far more than matches i've won(thats just me but i prefer hard fought victories to easy wins)

i'll have to do some trial by fire shit if i'm to hang with bb-gaf
oh man i can't block, and i'm too scared to go on the offensive; i'm like a training dummy for those guys
_demenFREEa imo

AkumaHokoru said:
It is dumbing it down because you aren't being forced to think its just sigh do this. he's going to do it again. sigh do this again. really man? you aren't going to see i'm stopping this every time? sigh do this again. sigh. it drains me to play a bad match whereas i've enjoyed matches i lost far more than matches i've won(thats just me but i prefer hard fought victories to easy wins)

Fair enough. Me, too. That's why I message the players who give me good matches and run endless with them or something.

I seriously need to get my 360 fixed -_-;

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
_dementia said:
i'll have to do some trial by fire shit if i'm to hang with bb-gaf
oh man i can't block, and i'm too scared to go on the offensive; i'm like a training dummy for those guys
_demenFREEa imo

But blazblue is easier than sf to play! LOL jk

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
_dementia said:
well at least the light -> medium -> strong attacks chain naturally

SF is not like that with most characters afaik

lol if it didn't the game would be retarded, but that's how guilty gear was too, attacks chained =P

kiryogi

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
People really like kiryogi, he's a cool guy. He picks ibuki with that alt 1 but other than that he's been pretty fun.

Wut?! What's with the hate for alt1. I'll have you know I waited a long time for that day to come! :lol That said. I'm currently on the BBCS train now. lawlz @ SSF4. jk. I'm glad to see Super is holding up very solid compared to this time around last year.. I'll be jumping between the two.

_dementia said:
well at least the light -> medium -> strong attacks chain naturally

SF is not like that with most characters afaik

Revolver action!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
haunts said:
hey you guys should just relax and play some tekken.
That's the least thing I'm doing when I play Tekken. "Relaxing" that is, I always sweat like a pig on Tekken.

Imm0rt4l

kiryogi said:
Wut?! What's with the hate for alt1. I'll have you know I waited a long time for that day to come! :lol That said. I'm currently on the BBCS train now. lawlz @ SSF4. jk. I'm glad to see Super is holding up very solid compared to this time around last year.. I'll be jumping between the two.

Revolver action!
Ibuki's alt makes her look like a hunchback, looks like she doesn't have a neck.

AZ Greg

Kimosabae said:
But can you really blame players for being frustrated when their level of dedication to a game doesn't net them any kind of distinction from players that may not be nearly as dedicated? SSF4 hits those areas, sure, but I fully disagree that it does it well.

Ok, I've seen a few people make this point and I completely disagree. Sure you might lose a ranked match to someone online, who isn't as good as you or who has put in less time, where you only see them one time and before you adjust to the bizarre way they play it's already too late to come back. But I don't ever feel like I'd lose a best of/first to sorta set to someone who is clearly worse or who has invested a significantly less amount of time in the game. And with regards to Melee, forgive me if I'm wrong as I never played it competitively, but don't you have to heavily tweak the default settings in order to make it so that the skilled player always beats the less skilled player (picking stages with no random elements/turning off items)?

And about the reversal window that always gets brought up. I've always been fine with it for two reasons. 1.) It makes the game more accessible. Had SF4 been another 3S, or hell even ST (in terms of reversals), then this fighting game resurgence might not have happened. My casual buddies who will do something lame like wake-up SRKs or will mash SRKs through attack strings have stuck with the game a lot longer than something like HDR where they would just get bullied on wake-up and put in throw loops cause they weren't good with the tighter reversals required to escape those situations. 2.) At high-level play the tighter reversal windows were never an issue. Those players got their reversals whenever they wanted them just like in SF4. So sure you can say, "well that's a reward for all the time they put in", but I don't want to beat my opponent with tactics that are only working because he/she isn't good at hitting the tight reversal window. It's only going to hurt you in the long term when you start playing good players and your low-level player abuse tactics don't work anymore. I don't see any problem with having to incorporate bait tactics against players lower on the totem poll.

kiryogi

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
Ibuki's alt makes her look like a hunchback, looks like she doesn't have a neck.
:lol Yeah coil was complaining about this. I think considering her stance even, future alts might have similar appearance.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
haunts said:
hey you guys should just relax and play some tekken.

And have some chicken flavored crackers!

2wnutd1.jpg

Imm0rt4l

kiryogi said:
:lol Yeah coil was complaining about this. I think considering her stance even, future alts might have similar appearance.
well I hope her future alts aren't so casual

ibukialt-300x168.jpg

Look at this shit....

my late great grandmother had better posture than Ibuki in this alt, the garb doesn't help any either. That is so no moe...

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Man what is it about this thread that always makes me hungry for certain things?

Now I'm gonna get some Chicken In A Biskit when I go to the store later.

AZ Greg said:
And about the reversal window that always gets brought up. I've always been fine with it for two reasons. 1.) It makes the game more accessible. Had SF4 been another 3S, or hell even ST (in terms of reversals), then this fighting game resurgence might not have happened. My casual buddies who will do something lame like wake-up SRKs or will mash SRKs through attack strings have stuck with the game a lot longer than something like HDR where they would just get bullied on wake-up and put in throw loops cause they weren't good with the tighter reversals required to escape those situations. 2.) At high-level play the tighter reversal windows were never an issue. Those players got their reversals whenever they wanted them just like in SF4. So sure you can say, "well that's a reward for all the time they put in", but I don't want to beat my opponent with tactics that are only working because he/she isn't good at hitting the tight reversal window. It's only going to hurt you in the long term when you start playing good players and your low-level player abuse tactics don't work anymore. I don't see any problem with having to incorporate bait tactics against players lower on the totem poll.

But don't you think it stymies offense for some characters? Execution is part of fighting games, and it takes away some importance from scoring a knockdown. I've seen top players mash against me, and while I can't blame them, I consider it dumbing down the game. I'd rather have them have to execute under my pressure than just decide "Okay, I want a dp. GO." They aren't perfect, they will miss sometimes. I had to execute to score that knockdown, they should have to execute to escape.

I'm okay with it because my main has a dive kick that shuts down a lot of junk on wake up, but some people using other characters are frustrated and I can see why. It's a fighting game, but the person on offense trying to keep their offense going is in more danger than the person in a block string if the defensive character has a decent reversal they can mash out. I think you should be rewarded for taking the initiative, not being screwed for attempting a one frame link.

You're right though in that it definitely helps with newer players and I know it helped me while I was learning this game. In tourneys though, it just makes me really salty when I lose because my opponent just was like "mount an offense on knockdown? DP FADC Ultra". It goes against part of what makes SF SF IMO (acronyms ftw). Having that wide reversal window (and such little block stun/low active frames on a ton of normals, but that's another discussion) makes baiting a big part of the meta game and is also why IV is a pretty defense heavy game compared to others. Don't get me wrong, the game is still fun and it's a blast at high level play where there's some more strategy involved, but I think they can do better than what they've done. That's not to say there's anything wrong with mid or low play either - they both serve their purposes and are fun in their own right, I'm mostly talking about tourney play though. I'm not saying make it as hard as III or even II - I still want new players to get into it - but there's a happy medium between those 2 and IV I think they can find. There's good and bad with any system, I'm just kinda venting.

Maybe in SF X Tekken.

/essay

Duelist

Killa Sasa said:
But don't you think it stymies offense for some characters? Execution is part of fighting games, and it takes away some importance from scoring a knockdown. I've seen top players mash against me, and while I can't blame them, I consider it dumbing down the game. I'd rather have them have to execute under my pressure than just decide "Okay, I want a dp. GO." They aren't perfect, they will miss sometimes. I had to execute to score that knockdown, they should have to execute to escape.

I'm okay with it because my main has a dive kick that shuts down a lot of junk on wake up, but some people using other characters are frustrated and I can see why. It's a fighting game, but the person on offense trying to keep their offense going is in more danger than the person in a block string if the defensive character has a decent reversal they can mash out. I think you should be rewarded for taking the initiative, not being screwed for attempting a one frame link.

You're right though in that it definitely helps with newer players and I know it helped me while I was learning this game. In tourneys though, it just makes me really salty when I lose because my opponent just was like "mount an offense on knockdown? DP FADC Ultra". It goes against part of what makes SF SF IMO (acronyms ftw). Having that wide reversal window (and such little block stun/low active frames on a ton of normals, but that's another discussion) makes baiting a big part of the meta game and is also why IV is a pretty defense heavy game compared to others. Don't get me wrong, the game is still fun and it's a blast at high level play where there's some more strategy involved, but I think they can do better than what they've done. That's not to say there's anything wrong with mid or low play either - they both serve their purposes and are fun in their own right, I'm mostly talking about tourney play though. I'm not saying make it as hard as III or even II - I still want new players to get into it - but there's a happy medium between those 2 and IV I think they can find. There's good and bad with any system, I'm just kinda venting.

Maybe in SF X Tekken.

/essay

I disagree with this. Any competent attacking player can notice when someone is mashing out of their strings, and then just cut block strings early to force a reversal that can be punished for even more damage.

The same concept exists in BB with bursting.

kitzkozan

Killa Sasa said:

Maybe in SF X Tekken.

/essay

It doesn't really matter as to why SF IV ended up how it did of if future Capcom game are more accessible (and they will).Dumbing down the game was a must in order to expand the SF playerbase,since a lot of older gamer aren't playing anymore or have lost all interest in FG and thus the newer generation isn't as hardcore as the one before.

I am sure Marvel vs Capcom 3 will sell very well,even if it doesn't have the longevity of 2.Honestly,I'm sure Capcom doesn't even care about MvC3 lasting 10+years in competitive play.It just need to sell 2-3 million copies and bring in the profit and expand the playerbase/make EVO even bigger.

I am sure SF vs Tekken will be relatively simple to play,even if it's more combo crazy than IV.Nothing close to 6 systems like in CvC2 which would be viewed as crazy hardcore for the newer generation of SF fans. :lol

entremet

Meh. She runs the tourney. It's her rules. It's not like anyone is forced to join and that's not preventing anyone from organizing another tourney. I like the random tourney idea, because it's something fresh and different.

Ggs to Dave and duelist...sorry I had to leave, the lag was bad for me, was having ugly input delays.....

Side note : Dave 1988 is a cool dude....

Duelist

EraldoCoil said:
Ggs to Dave and duelist...sorry I had to leave, the lag was bad for me, was having ugly input delays.....

Side note : Dave 1988 is a cool dude....

Yeah ggs. So wish this game could've used GGPO.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
My Adon is now certified B tier! murking all the ruys and kens in all of online-land! Went on a 13 win streak bender in ranked just now - fools be dropping like QisTopTier's salty tears to my newly mastered corner-game!

raaaaaaaaawr!

edit: any europa based xbots up in this joint? my GT is Jagga Toof

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
vocab said:
Ya, if the reversal windows were shorter, and there was no input shortcuts, this game would probably be a lot more enjoyable.

Not sure that would be a good idea... seems like that would be block string hell and would just reward people for pushing buttons. If you remove the ability to reversal you also have to remove a lot of block strings and combos...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Brobzoid said:
My Adon is now certified B tier! murking all the ruys and kens in all of online-land! Went on a 13 win streak bender in ranked just now - fools be dropping like QisTopTier's salty tears to my newly mastered corner-game!

raaaaaaaaawr!

edit: any europa based xbots up in this joint? my GT is Jagga Toof

Wait what? I don't get it.

I feel like the input shortcuts should have been optional. Allow new players to use it, let the hardcore turn it off for their meetups or tournaments.

Threi

notag
downback to upback is an input shortcut isn't it?

Also shortened SPD motions? And SPD motions for charge ultras/supers?

I think a lot of people rely on input shortcuts more than they think.

Downback to upback isn't a shortcut it's a function of the game recognizing the back or down input separately from each other for charge motions. It's why balrog's headbutt into ultra works and such. The same thing was in ST and 3s.

I dunno about SPD shortcuts, i'm unfamiliar with those kind of characters.

It's like input buffering, it's one of those things that makes the game more than fighting street or pit fighter.

vocab

gutabo

Sup everybody!
I'm back for more ssf4 on either console! Where's the love? send invites! (I'm a n00b to PS3 ssf4, some pointers are welcome!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Kadey said:
I love how certain people like Panda is twisting shit around to make Kiry and Ferrio look like the victims.
:lol
So childish.

protip: While you have the right to throw anyone under the bus within your tournaments, you don't have the right to make anyone else like it.
Different people make different value judgments when given the same information, its unfortunate i know.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Imm0rt4l said:
we need some grudge matches in here, I want to see some gaf on gaf action.
if you're on xbox I can send you a crude message so we can get into some shit. ;-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom