• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sako is giving MOCHI a run. That distance game is hurting MOCHI. MOCHI needs to teleport and get more space on Sako. I'm surprised that MOCHI got that last match.

Solid_Rain said:
Those dive kicks are just way too much for Sim plus the other ways Cammy can get in close.

Very true, but when the block string comes on Sim he does not try a teleport out at the end of them. Sim was doing a hell of a job when he got distance and you can see it. When the life lead is up he backs off even when a stun is about to happen.

USD

Missed it live, but just watched the final match. Mochi didn't roll over and die, but Sako is just so beast. Match went about how I expected it to play out.

Chauncy Talon said:
I know what you are saying. I played Sagat since C.E. I know how he gets, even if he is horrible in HDR. Everybody in Michigan knows that I still play as Sagat at all tournaments, at least once.

Yeah I know lol. Though I have to admit last week I broke out my old main *Cammy actually* just to mess around, just like riding a bike it all comes back. Pity I won't be able to make it out today though.

It seems every platform and their mothers are getting a version of SSF4. Except for the PC that is... There are still a sizeable number of people playing SF4. Will the PC ever get a version?

ACE 1991

Hey Timedog, would you like to play today? You invited me yesterday but then seemingly weren't at your xbox. Also, do you have a mic?

I'm trying to quit playing online as soon as I feel a bit of rage coming up. It usually totally ruins my game and sends me on a loss streak. Combined with fighting random Vega scrubs or Bisons, this makes me want to take anger management courses. No other game does that to me. Victories are as sweet as losses are bitter.

Is it just me or is it harder to block online? I always blame my losses on myself, but it seems like there are a lot of times where I swear I'm blocking low and I just get hit by low forwards into whatever all day.

SmokeMaxX

ARK II Stream will be up within the next few hours featuring players such as Texas' FindMyFarms and Memphis' Lil Majin and W00tsick.

Any interest from Gaffers? :D

Threi

notag
schennmu said:
I'm trying to quit playing online as soon as I feel a bit of rage coming up. It usually totally ruins my game and sends me on a loss streak. Combined with fighting random Vega scrubs or Bisons, this makes me want to take anger management courses. No other game does that to me. Victories are as sweet as losses are bitter.
I thought it was just online play that sent up the rage...and then i threw my stick and ragequit in training mode...

it's the type of game i guess. You won't have fun unless you are on your A game 24/7. "Sitting down to relax and play some Street Fighter" doesn't work. :lol

Rufus

I'm a weekend warrior myself, after dropping the game entirely for a while. I just can't invest the time to keep up, so I just fuck around and try to hold my ground. Win ratio of 54%, good enough. :lol

God's Beard said:
Is it just me or is it harder to block online? I always blame my losses on myself, but it seems like there are a lot of times where I swear I'm blocking low and I just get hit by low forwards into whatever all day.

Same thing has happens to me. I thought it was because of the 360 analog though but lag has me suspicious sometimes too.

Tried to branch out from my Dictator, and decided to give the Boxer and Cody a chance. Really enjoyed both alot. I noticed I hit a wall with Bison or I, as a player, is not getting better.

My problem is implementing what I know to an actual battle, and learning WHEN to do them. I guess I just need to keep practicing.

Threi said:
I thought it was just online play that sent up the rage...and then i threw my stick and ragequit in training mode...

it's the type of game i guess. You won't have fun unless you are on your A game 24/7. "Sitting down to relax and play some Street Fighter" doesn't work. :lol

I tell this to my friends ALL the fucking time and they don't believe me! :lol :lol :lol

Threi said:
"Sitting down to relax and play some Street Fighter" doesn't work. :lol

SF online is as relaxing as hemorrhoids :lol

I don't mind losing to friends offline at all though. Even if they do random bullshit.

Alucrid said:
Day 8 of stick training. Status: Not good.

It took me 1 month just to be somewhat comfortable and 2 months just to be "Ok". I'm going on nearly 4 months now and I still have trouble doing some things that I do on pad but I think the time I spent it worth it. The combos I'm doing on stick is something I just could not personally accomplish on pad. So basically just hang in there, for most people it takes a months so be patient and I think you'll find that it was worth it.

And now that Sako won the Gods Garden online tourney, I hope they do a special exhibition between him and Daigo. The fans definitely want it and I'm sure both players want it to as Sako already expressed his desire to play Daigo.

Labombadog said:
Tried to branch out from my Dictator, and decided to give the Boxer and Cody a chance. Really enjoyed both alot. I noticed I hit a wall with Bison or I, as a player, is not getting better.
When in doubt, press roundhouse.

Gyrian

Breaking News: LP Shoryuken soon to be abused outside of Street Fighter, too.

nDrwx.gif

micrometaru.gif

God's Beard said:

Harder to near impossible to crouch tech online in my case, blocking is generally fine. I have no problems doing it in ranbats lol.

Myomoto

God's Beard said:

Check that your controller/stick properly registers diagonal inputs. I've had crazy amounts of trouble with this kind of stuff.

kitzkozan

Kimosabae said:
My problem with the SF4 series is simply that it doesn't reward offense enough - if you're playing aggressive you're essentially playing to lose. The tools simply aren't there to cater to that playstyle/personality trait. In my eyes, that hurts the game's potential complexity because it places limits on how you can approach it. Yes, aggressiveness works as a way to switch things up between rounds every now and again - but the general winning approach is passivity.

That's just not my personality type. Unless I'm in the mood to tolerate a slow pace, I often find SSF4 frustrating and boring.

Also, you didn't answer my questions. Did your casual friends buy SF4/SSF4? Do they still play? Do you feel these gameplay elements helped expand the fighting game market?

Offense is easily the hardest thing to master,and I'm not just talking about fighting game here.

Just look at most pro sport,and you will quickly see that gifted offensive players are the most paid in team sport and also the rarest (elite among the elites).It's easier to excel at defense than generate offense.

I think it was a sound decision to lessen the offensive aspect of IV to gain more fans.It's not as daunting playing IV,you have more time to react and you can earn win by turtling and poor offense.Low/mediocre level of play is crucial for scrub and newbie,as this is where they can quickly give up or discourage themselves (and thus a negative word of mouth).

Let's see how the sales of 3rd strike goes,especially as the newer generation of SF fans get trounced by 10 years old fans and the fact that it take years of practice to actually get really good (learning the timing for parrying all the super arts and combos).Also look at how unpopular VF is in the west which is telling of how most occidental gamers aren't interested in investing years behind a character to master it.

You know, I never used to like Ranked Match, but it's actually kind of fun :lol

You never know what you're going to get. Not everybody uses the community, so it's interesting to see how the good players evolved and the bad players found new griefing techniques. :D

I've seen everything from Fei Longs that do nothing but jump back and forth roundhouse for both rounds(who I beat using nothing but cross counters :lol ) to Ryus that act like scrubs but have the execution when it counts(some guy that kept doing the Chris Hu™ jump back hurricane kick and ate about 5 EX MGBs but still beat me with some solid setups), to just plain solid players(fuck 4k PP Guiles/Dhalsims).

I think I might start playing Ranked more. Always set it to "More skilled", though.

My execution was already where I wanted it, and this is really helping my reaction time. walk back BUFFERBUFFERBUFFER walk forward BUFFERBUFFERBUFFER isthatalimbCORKSCREW CROSS HELL YES I PUNISHED A THROW WHIFF

And I'm definitely better at not doing stupid shit now.

One of these days, AZ Greg, I'm coming! :D

hitsugi said:
GFG Sako!! Incoming cammy players D:

They won't stick around, they never do. I say this because there was a very brief flood of new Cammy users when Sanford won Evo *I think it was Evo anyways, my memory is bad on most days* a year or so back but that didn't last long. Mostly because Cammy is not a character for scrubs *she aint Ryu anotherwords*, she is very execution reliant.

At best you can hope for a few promising recruits from a sea of scrubs who will abandon her as soon as it becomes clear you can't just pick her up and have free wins.

God's Beard said:
As opposed to?

If I were honest I would say Ryu, if only as far as the fact he has no weakness artificially slapped onto him like every other character in the game. The fact is that I see more flowcharting Ryu scrubs than any other character *outside of turbo abusers anyways, then you see a couple others*.

Come to think of it though Threi is almost correct with Balrog, the only problem is apparently scrubs don't have the patience to use a charge character most of the time much less one with no fireball or srk to mash.

Let me put it another way, when people got tired of Cammy the last time who did they move to, or more correctly move back to? Ryu. Why? Because they could win much much easier with him with less effort or thought put into it. I am not saying that anyone that uses Ryu is a scrub, but that the character does cater pretty well to scrub level play as far as how much you can get away with and still win.

stabicron7 said:
If I were honest I would say Ryu, if only as far as the fact he has no weakness artificially slapped onto him like every other character in the game. The fact is that I see more flowcharting Ryu scrubs than any other character *outside of turbo abusers anyways, then you see a couple others*.

Come to think of it though Threi is almost correct with Balrog, the only problem is apparently scrubs don't have the patience to use a charge character most of the time much less one with no fireball or srk to mash.

Let me put it another way, when people got tired of Cammy the last time who did they move to, or more correctly move back to? Ryu. Why? Because they could win much much easier with him with less effort or thought put into it. I am not saying that anyone that uses Ryu is a scrub, but that the character does cater pretty well to scrub level play as far as how much you can get away with and still win.
He's the main character for a reason. He's not supposed to have any particular strengths or weaknesses.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
God's Beard said:
He's the main character for a reason. He's not supposed to have any particular strengths or weaknesses.

Yet he ends up with a ton of strengths- like great normals, great combo potential, good keepout game.

I wish they'd nerf Ryu hard. Not saying he isn't beatable, but he's top tier or really close in nearly every game.

BTW VF is not THAT hard to get to a decent level at. Even my executionally-challenged arse was able to do decently in the game. I'd say the animu games are harder. VF and SF4 are alike in some ways to me with the balance between offense and defense and importance of option select .

arstal said:
I wish they'd nerf Ryu hard. Not saying he isn't beatable, but he's top tier or really close in nearly every game.

He got nerfed from SF4 to Super already, do you need him to become a cripple for you to be satisfied?

I haven't heard this much Ryu whining since the early vanilla topic last year.

stabicron7 said:

Last year, with my scrub friends, one picked up Cammy and the other one picked up Ryu.
The Cammy player won most of the time because of her ridiculous uppercut, and cannon strike being a pretty easy method to exploit teching throws.

She's a scrub friendly character in the same way. Wakeup DP fiends don't use Cammy as much because Daigo doesn't use Cammy.

arstal said:
Yet he ends up with a ton of strengths- like great normals, great combo potential, good keepout game.

BTW VF is not THAT hard to get to a decent level at. Even my executionally-challenged arse was able to do decently in the game. I'd say the animu games are harder. VF and SF4 are alike in some ways to me with the balance between offense and defense and importance of option select .

Playing Akira in VF is like playing Street Fighter if standing forward was a one frame link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom