• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
God's Beard said:
Playing Akira in VF is like playing Street Fighter if standing forward was a one frame link.

He has alternatives to that. I'd say he's more like Viper then that. They've also been making him a little easier to play each game. Not saying the game is easy, there's a ton of depth- moreso then any other fighter- and a ton of situational stuff- but execution-wise, most other fighters are more difficult to me.

DryEyeRelief said:
I haven't heard this much Ryu whining since the early vanilla topic last year.

In my case it's more dislike of the char. It's the same reason I hate Iori in KOF. my win % vs Ryus is in line with my win % overall. I don't think he's overpowered, just overpopular.

LakeEarth

arstal said:
Yet he ends up with a ton of strengths- like great normals, great combo potential, good keepout game.
Exactly. That's his thing. Some characters have specific advantages and disadvantages, Ryu has all the tools. Doesn't have the upclose game of Zangief or Abel, doesn't have the distance game as Dhalsim, doesn't have the pokes of Fei Long and Rose, etc. So its up to the player. Do you want good everything, or great one thing in exchange for crappy something else.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
LakeEarth said:
Exactly. That's his thing. Some characters have specific advantages and disadvantages, Ryu has all the tools. Doesn't have the upclose game of Zangief or Abel, doesn't have the distance game as Dhalsim, doesn't have the pokes of Fei Long and Rose, etc. So its up to the player. Do you want good everything, or great one thing in exchange for crappy something else.

Probably the one thing that makes Ryu top tier is his ultra setups. SRK FADC into ultra turns the fight around on a dime. Not a lot of characters have this great advatage from an extremely fast reversal move.

Edit: It makes missing a link an extremely dangerous ordeal when facing ryu...

Threi

notag
LakeEarth said:
Interesting thing about that: that is exactly how i describe DeeJay. He is ok in almost everything but does nothing exceptionally well. I think that's why people avoid him, he has no clear strengths (and no clear weaknesses either outside of poor wakeup game)

Ryu has a better fireball, normals, an overhead and better dashes though...and he isn't a charge char

derFeef

My lord I am losing against a friend of mine who bought sfiv vannila today and spams shoryuken all the time with ken. I am lost, and depressed....

Threi

notag
derFeef said:
My lord I am losing against a friend of mine who bought sfiv vannila today and spams shoryuken all the time with ken. I am lost, and depressed....
hit him before he lands, if he does land don't press a button

Chemo

arstal said:
I wish they'd nerf Ryu hard.
arstal said:
In my case it's more dislike of the char. It's the same reason I hate Iori in KOF. my win % vs Ryus is in line with my win % overall. I don't think he's overpowered, just overpopular.
Wow! So you wish they'd nerf Ryu hard -- taking into account the fact that he's been nerfed already a significant amount -- just because you dislike the character?

It sure would be awesome if they listened to everyone with whiny, unrealistic desires like this! The game would be really fun then.

DryEyeRelief said:
I haven't heard this much Ryu whining since the early vanilla topic last year.

Last year, with my scrub friends, one picked up Cammy and the other one picked up Ryu.
The Cammy player won most of the time because of her ridiculous uppercut, and cannon strike being a pretty easy method to exploit teching throws.

She's a scrub friendly character in the same way. Wakeup DP fiends don't use Cammy as much because Daigo doesn't use Cammy.

To the first sentence, I am simply noting a trend, both the fact that most of the people who move to another character from Ryu after someone wins a tournament *or Daigo uses someone else, hello Guile episode* almost always move back to him outside of a few people who stick it out because they like the new character. Also noting the fact that most of the people I encounter whom most could consider a flowcharter or a scrub are 9 times out of 10 using Ryu.

Second paragraph, well I won't deny that she can be used in a very scrubby/flowchart way it just doesn't usually get her anywhere as while both light dp's are punishable on block, the window to punish Cammy's lk dp pretty much means she can be hit with nearly anything. Not to mention Cammy has a lot of other weak points. In anycase point taken that she like a lot of characters can be played pretty badly, I just don't encounter them anywhere near as much as Ryu flowcharters.

As for the last sentence, sure as far as dp mashing anyone with a dp can pull it off, not sure what it is with Ryu that means they are what I come across most of the time in low level play but I do. As for claiming its only because of Daigo, well yeah I am sure it has a lot to do with it *as to the Guile episode, yes that is a case that kinda proves both our points, a lot of very bad Guile's flooded online after Daigo used him for a bit, but most of those moved back after a while* but I don't think its the only reason as if the bad players can't win at least semi consistently with Ryu they wouldn't stay with him.

Just finished watching the Sako/Mochi fights...

It seems like Mochi jumps back too much or doesn't spit those fireball with safe spacing.

Art seems to be a lot more on the ground and more aggressive with the lighter attacks.
Also he's zoning and spacing seem to be ALOT better. *ART stop choking!*

I don't know if Sako's pressure threw Mochi off, but I would love to see Art fight Sako, just to see how he would deal with the pressure.

arstal said:

Ryu IS Street Figher, you do realize that? Nerfing him more would be like taking the ability to jump from Super Mario :p I don't play him anymore because I wanted to try new things out, but he's probably still my favourite character.

hitsugi

Holy Order Sol said:
Meh. Did the Adon bandwagon actually even happen?

Also that shit needs to stop.

sort of, but people realized (just like they will with Cammy) that Adon is not that easy to play.. and they'll quit and go back to playing their usual character instead of putting the actual time in to someone new to get results.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
There really should have been a Adon band-wagon. :(

I really like the mirror and most of the Adons I've played have been really boring, roundhouse roundhouse roundhouse... -_-

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Iuno, I don't think Cammy's that hard a character to pick up and play. At higher levels though, sure. But that's mostly because her b&b has a tight link in it and if you miss it they're probably gonna block your spiral arrow and that's really unsafe. Unlike Rufus, who's still relatively safe if he misses st.lk into st.hp before galactic tornado.

AZ Greg said:
But don't most (all?) characters have a back dash that would escape most (all?) focus attacks?

AFAIK, yeah. But with some characters you have to time it pretty well or you get hit by the focus attack anyway.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Ono or someone a long time ago where they said focus attacks were the main reason the reversal window is as lenient as it is. Can't recall where I read that, though, so might just be my imagination.

hitsugi

Lost Fragment said:
Iuno, I don't think Cammy's that hard a character to pick up and play. At higher levels though, sure. But that's mostly because her b&b has a tight link in it and if you miss it they're probably gonna block your spiral arrow and that's really unsafe. Unlike Rufus, who's still relatively safe if he misses st.lk into st.hp before galactic tornado.

I'm sure these people hop into training mode for 10-15 mins, try their hand at s.mp, c.hp, c.mk, etc. links and say fuck this I'm going back to _____.

Lost Fragment said:
i'm moving to standing close mp > c.mp > rh arrow as my BnB cause i find it way way easier than the lk/lp bnb.

In fact, the standing close mp > c.mp > rh arrow isn't even a link... is it? if so, it's a way looser one... I have more luck with c.hp > c.mk > arrow that her lk/lp bnb as well...

I've given up using lk/lp bnb since the link is so tight that i miss 3 outta 4. i'd rather just do cr.mk > rh arrow or cr.mp > rh arrow than risk dropping that and eating something. But that's just me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
bigmit3737 said:
Just finished watching the Sako/Mochi fights...

It seems like Mochi jumps back too much or doesn't spit those fireball with safe spacing.

Art seems to be a lot more on the ground and more aggressive with the lighter attacks.
Also he's zoning and spacing seem to be ALOT better. *ART stop choking!*

I don't know if Sako's pressure threw Mochi off, but I would love to see Art fight Sako, just to see how he would deal with the pressure.
Art knows the Sim/Cammy matchup very well. Probably from playing Sanford so much.

Parham

Banned
I have given up playing the vanilla PC version online. Every person I've been matched up with has at least 3000+ GP.

Threi said:
I thought it was just online play that sent up the rage...and then i threw my stick and ragequit in training mode...

it's the type of game i guess. You won't have fun unless you are on your A game 24/7. "Sitting down to relax and play some Street Fighter" doesn't work. :lol
I'll be getting the game soon. So if you're looking to destroy someone at Street Fighter sometime later, just send me a friend request on XBL (GT: Azentium). :lol

hitsugi said:
I'm sure these people hop into training mode for 10-15 mins, try their hand at s.mp, c.hp, c.mk, etc. links and say fuck this I'm going back to _____.

I thought we were talking about flowcharts...people who don't go to training mode for any character.

azentium said:
I have given up playing the vanilla PC version online. Every person I've been matched up with has at least 3000+ GP.

I'll be getting the game soon. So if you're looking to destroy someone at Street Fighter sometime later, just send me a friend request on XBL (GT: Azentium). :lol

Vanilla PC really isn't the best place to start off. Try doing player matches instead of Ranked and when in doubt, pick Sagat.

hitsugi

DryEyeRelief said:
I thought we were talking about flowcharts...people who don't go to training mode for any character.

oh.. even on the most basic level I guess step 1 in my head is training mode :lol but you're probably right there

I really love playing Ryu's these day's because it seems because he has know real weaknesses people think they can spend less time with him and win more games compared with other characters - which is sadly true actually.

Parham

Banned
riceandbeans said:
Vanilla PC really isn't the best place to start off. Try doing player matches instead of Ranked and when in doubt, pick Sagat.
I've tried both modes and neither have players at my level. As you've said before, I would much better off playing SSFIV. If all goes as planned, I will be picking that up later next week.

derFeef

azentium said:
I've tried both modes and neither have players at my level. As you've said before, I would much better off playing SSFIV. If all goes as planned, I will be picking that up later next week.
I am online right now, if you want to beat the living daylight out of me.

Cammy is awesome, news at 11.

Sim is almost as free as Gouken is for Cammy, not that surprised. Once you spam enough spiral arrow, knock his ass down and get close, the only thing to be "scared" of is his Super.

Daigo vs Sako would've been a much better matchup, but I still think Sako would've won. I think Cammy fights Ryu best out of the 3 shotos. Unless he butters his DP, he isn't getting out of that pressure by forcing his way out.

She only has one bad matchup and goes even or better with everyone else. Best DP in the game. Great damage and stun, and can actually KEEP her offensive game going. Big punishes for the main option select in the game. Very safe mixup once it's started. Hell, if she jumps at you with bar, she has 3 possible arcs. If you don't have good, invincible or awesome normal anti-air, you are in a bad situation. Mobility. Only thing she doesn't have is an overhead and she doesn't need it :lol.

Also, @Himuro - Cammy is rough when you're learning her but the pay off is really good. I almost dropped her 3 or 4 times but every time I wanted to I learned a new thing and couldn't drop her power/speed/risk combination. If she's not for you, she's not for you but I'm just letting you know getting pissed is a big part of learning Cammy :lol.

hitsugi

Killa Sasa said:
Daigo vs Sako would've been a much better matchup, and I think Sako would've won. I think Cammy fights Ryu best out of the 3 shotos. Unless he butters his DP, he isn't getting out of that pressure by forcing his way out.

yeah... I thought there was supposed to be some exhibition matches afterward between Daigo and Sako D: anyone know what happened to that or was it just speculation that additional matches MIGHT happen after?

Japan is scary. Mago, Tokido, Daigo, Makoto, Mochi, Uryo and Momochi got peaced in this tournament. The winner was someone who doesn't even play in the arcades anymore. The only one I felt bad for was Momochi. I didn't understand the reasoning behind picking Ibuki.

Sako had amazing spacing footsies and execution. If he hit you, it would yield a combo. He would execute amazing links. I hope he does attend Evo Japan. But who's to say how the Japanese SF scene will shape once the SSFIV arcade version comes out.

I tried using Cammy but I can't consistently do TK cannon strikes.

vissione

Banned
Pff... Sako was dropping links like crazy this time.

I also find it funny what he chose as his prize... I thought he was a freakin' shut-in WTF. :lol He was even suspicious about it.. HE'S GOING OUT OF HIS HOUSE PEOPLE!! KSK better make that trip worth it.

Just came back from ATL revivals. I think I got 13th again after 60-something people. =/

But I don't feel a bit regretful this time around. Lost to my two worse match-ups, Zangief and Honda. While last time, I lost to a Rufus and Balrog (ran it back in casuals, and beat the guy).
I actually switched to Chun for the Honda player since my Bison wasn't doing any good. She did better, but the guy was just too good.

tl;dr - I need to pester Gutabo
I also double perfected a Vega. Because now, if you play Vega and aren't AZ Greg, you're free. There were actually a lot of Vega players there.

Threi

notag
man if i didn't know i would regret it i would have pulled a corky just now :lol

how the fuck does someone restrain themselves online yet rage out on a training dummy standing still?

at least there is this forum to vent, even though it makes you look like a total dbag. I would rather take it out on my reply window than my equipment.

stabicron7 said:
To the first sentence, I am simply noting a trend, both the fact that most of the people who move to another character from Ryu after someone wins a tournament *or Daigo uses someone else, hello Guile episode* almost always move back to him outside of a few people who stick it out because they like the new character. Also noting the fact that most of the people I encounter whom most could consider a flowcharter or a scrub are 9 times out of 10 using Ryu.

Second paragraph, well I won't deny that she can be used in a very scrubby/flowchart way it just doesn't usually get her anywhere as while both light dp's are punishable on block, the window to punish Cammy's lk dp pretty much means she can be hit with nearly anything. Not to mention Cammy has a lot of other weak points. In anycase point taken that she like a lot of characters can be played pretty badly, I just don't encounter them anywhere near as much as Ryu flowcharters.

As for the last sentence, sure as far as dp mashing anyone with a dp can pull it off, not sure what it is with Ryu that means they are what I come across most of the time in low level play but I do. As for claiming its only because of Daigo, well yeah I am sure it has a lot to do with it *as to the Guile episode, yes that is a case that kinda proves both our points, a lot of very bad Guile's flooded online after Daigo used him for a bit, but most of those moved back after a while* but I don't think its the only reason as if the bad players can't win at least semi consistently with Ryu they wouldn't stay with him.

I didn't see this before but...

No offense, but I trust my personal experiences over a half-assed hypothesis derived from what I'm guessing is salt.

DryEyeRelief said:
I didn't see this before but...

No offense, but I trust my personal experiences over a half-assed hypothesis derived from what I'm guessing is salt.

Fair enough and none taken. Not really salty, fighting a good Ryu is fun and I learn from it, I am just tired of running into flowchart Ryu all the time, but it is what it is and online is like a roulette wheel lol.

toypop

Spiderjericho said:
The only one I felt bad for was Momochi. I didn't understand the reasoning behind picking Ibuki.

I believe Momochi is keeping SSF4 Akuma away till SBO, to maintain his vanilla Akuma playing senses.

Other things from sako's interview both from official GG channel and his friend's channel.
* sako talked his GF/wife while interview and picked $800 worth travel coupon as a prize.
* Other prizes GG offer to the winner were notebook, iPad, a pair of expensive 360 sticks(Hori VLX I heard) or donate it to repair air-conditioners of KSK's own arcade.
* sako said in his friends channel that he will consider accepting invites from tourneys outside Japan, if he could work out his schedule.
* He's gonna back to arcade scene if SSF4 coming to the arcade nearby.
* Recently he plays DQ:MBRV on wii SO HARD.

vissione said:
Pff... Sako was dropping links like crazy this time.

I also find it funny what he chose as his prize... I thought he was a freakin' shut-in WTF. :lol He was even suspicious about it.. HE'S GOING OUT OF HIS HOUSE PEOPLE!! KSK better make that trip worth it.

I missed the end. What did he choose?

Anyone else cheat on challenge mode?

There's this Sakura trial that gave me some trouble today:

jFP, cLK, cLK xx EX Shouoken

I couldn't do it for the life of me, so I cheated and did this:

jFP, cLK, LP, cLK xx EX Shunpukyaku, EX Shouoken :lol

Rocwell

God's Beard said:
Anyone else cheat on challenge mode?

There's this Sakura trial that gave me some trouble today:

jFP, cLK, cLK xx EX Shouoken

I couldn't do it for the life of me, so I cheated and did this:

jFP, cLK, LP, cLK xx EX Shunpukyaku, EX Shouoken :lol
I cheated on 2 for viper, I couldn't do her FFF straight into ultra, so I did fff ex seismo burn kick ultra :lol

Then for her lp, lk, sjc ultra I did lp, lk, cr mp sjc ultra. Made it a lot easier for me.

Ryu has cl. mp > fadc > cl. mp > fadc > cl. mp xx srk which becomes really easy if you do cl. mp xx hadouken fadc x2.

vissione

Banned
bigmit3737 said:
I missed the end. What did he choose?

A stay at a ryokan somewhere undecided but with $800 budget as posted above. Also, like toypop said he was offered other prizes. I found his reaction the sticks funny too... he was surprised like WTF why 2 sticks? :lol

vissione said:
A stay at a ryokan somewhere undecided but with $800 budget as posted above. Also, like toypop said he was offered other prizes. I found his reaction the sticks funny too... he was surprised like WTF why 2 sticks? :lol
If he gets to choose what Ryokan he gets to stay at and where, couldn't he be using it to go to EVOGG? Invest that prize into a bigger tournament and have a nicer place to stay than most competitors :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom