• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Professor Beef said:
I suddenly remember that I hate Blanka and everything he represents.

KBtsC.jpg

Tell me more

Kunohara

marathonfool said:
You'll see the other guy's connection in relation to you. It could be green bars for you and yellow bars for another player in the same lobby for the same opponent. Other players will see your connection in relation to them.

1-2 second lag is very bad. There is noticeable lag, but usually under 1 second.

Every game had green bars and yet it was laggy as shit. I'm gonna try again tonight, and hope it plays better.

Kunohara said:
Every game had green bars and yet it was laggy as shit. I'm gonna try again tonight, and hope it plays better.

Are you brand new to SF? Do you understand the mechanics of the game? I'm just curious because when I started playing I mistaken things like lag and "my controller isn't working" for block stun. Maybe you were in block stun so your next move couldn't come out. Maybe you were recovering from your previous move so you can't get your next one out when you want to. If not then ignore then, but if this is the case then these are things that you have to learn to get a better understanding of this game.

Kunohara

Rice-Eater said:
Are you brand new to SF? Do you understand the mechanics of the game? I'm just curious because when I started playing I mistaken things like lag and "my controller isn't working" for block stun. Maybe you were in block stun so your next move couldn't come out. Maybe you were recovering from your previous move so you can't get your next one out when you want to. If not then ignore then, but if this is the case then these are things that you have to learn to get a better understanding of this game.

Oh no, believe me when I say that when I push a button, it would take awhile for the move to come out, I wasn't block stunned or anything. After playing each character in arcade mode, I knew how to do special moves fast. Online, even just trying to do a regular punch or kick took 1-2 secs for it to come out. There was a noticeable difference.

I have watched all of the tutorial videos from VesperArcade on youtube. Granted I still can't do crazy combos, but I am learning. I am new to the series yes, although I did play a shit ton of SF2 back in the day. It is nothing like SSF4 though, heh.

Kunohara said:
Oh no, believe me when I say that when I push a button, it would take awhile for the move to come out, I wasn't block stunned or anything. After playing each character in arcade mode, I knew how to do special moves fast. Online, even just trying to do a regular punch or kick took 1-2 secs for it to come out. There was a noticeable difference.

I have watched all of the tutorial videos from VesperArcade on youtube. Granted I still can't do crazy combos, but I am learning. I am new to the series yes, although I did play a shit ton of SF2 back in the day. It is nothing like SSF4 though, heh.

Unfortunately SSF4 online is still highly jank. Just play it for fun, but don't treat it as serious business.

It's a shame developers have taken to the lame cell phone bars method of illustrating lag rather than relevant information that online gaming has used for years on the PC, meaning PING TIME. Reducing the massive ping range to a meager five bars really makes it difficult to accurately determine a players connection speed.

I've run into matches where I press buttons and nothing comes out as well. In addition to matches where I attempt to throw a crouching opponent next to me and completely miss.

The lag online is so bad, I mistook some of these accidents for actual changes to the fundamental game play.

It's a bummer that the current market leader in fighting games is also so crap at online programming.

Here's the part of the dance where people come in and say it's my connection. Which I'll freely admit isn't all that great, but it's perfectly fine for BlazBlue. The bottom line is I have to roll with DSL because the alternative (cable) did not work at all when I tried it. That's the joy of having so much of our telecommunication infrastructure in the hands of so few corporations.

Corky

Okey guys, time to work as a team here. OperationHelpMakeCorkyTheBestBalrogEver initiated.

Where do we start?

HiResDes

The Take Out Bandit said:
If it's ONLY the buttons, it should be a simple unplug / plug mod.

Youtube has all sorts of how to videos.

One thing I would suggest, if you're not comfortable that the fellow in the video doesn't do is go in vertical with your pliers to remove the connections. This way you will be pull both UP and AWAY from the button and you won't risk bending / snapping the slip on connector. Not a huge deal, but the method I prefer for safety / peace of mind.

Awesome just ordered some buttons from Lizardlick, 30mm for the main buttons right? I hope so, lol.

Kunohara

The Take Out Bandit said:
Unfortunately SSF4 online is still highly jank. Just play it for fun, but don't treat it as serious business.

It's a shame developers have taken to the lame cell phone bars method of illustrating lag rather than relevant information that online gaming has used for years on the PC, meaning PING TIME. Reducing the massive ping range to a meager five bars really makes it difficult to accurately determine a players connection speed.

I've run into matches where I press buttons and nothing comes out as well. In addition to matches where I attempt to throw a crouching opponent next to me and completely miss.

The lag online is so bad, I mistook some of these accidents for actual changes to the fundamental game play.

It's a bummer that the current market leader in fighting games is also so crap at online programming.

Here's the part of the dance where people come in and say it's my connection. Which I'll freely admit isn't all that great, but it's perfectly fine for BlazBlue. The bottom line is I have to roll with DSL because the alternative (cable) did not work at all when I tried it. That's the joy of having so much of our telecommunication infrastructure in the hands of so few corporations.

See that really is a shame because even though I lost, it was really fun to play against other people instead of the CPU. If there was no lag during play, I would be fucking addicted as shit to it. I have a 25mb down 7mb up connection, so I know it's not me.

I guess I'll just keep at it. It will make getting threepeat, tenpeat etc alot harder though.

Corky

HiResDes said:
Are you playing AE or Chocolate?

Momma told me to not play with my food.

And I don't play atm since my brother stole my 360 :'[ , but my lust is soo strong that I can play SSF4 in my mind. For real.

Kunohara said:
See that really is a shame because even though I lost, it was really fun to play against other people instead of the CPU. If there was no lag during play, I would be fucking addicted as shit to it. I have a 25mb down 7mb up connection, so I know it's not me.

I guess I'll just keep at it. It will make getting threepeat, tenpeat etc alot harder though.

I can agree.

I don't play fighting games against the CPU, so it's either don't play or deal with some shenanigans. :\

You can still get random good connections, so look forward to that. :)

Kunohara said:

What kind of monitor are you playing on?

I have a 1.5 MB up connection and I don't have that many problems with SSF4. I have a few laggy matches of course, but most are playable, and some very smooth.

VF5 runs good on my connection as well, as does BB.

MVC3 and Tekken 6 run like crap, but those have crap netcode.

Maybe check your router? I turn off my computer most of the time when I play online as well.

That reminds me, I have to pay for a better connection.

So after buying MVC3 I found a new love for fighting games, previously the only other fighting games I ever bought were Killer Instinct gold and Super Smash Bros. If I pick up SSFIV will I get my ass handed to me? Does it have a deeper learning curve than MVC3?

Kunohara

the_log_ride said:
What kind of monitor are you playing on?

I've only played 3 games, so I can't really judge yet if the online is terrible, but I have heard things about it.

And I play on my TV. Don't know if that was meant as a joke considering you guys were just talking about the monitors used at EVO :)

Also, I really don't like playing charge characters. I can't ever fucking pull off any moves that are like Guile's flash kick. It really annoys me. I've read up on shortcuts, but I have a lousy memory and always forget about them.

Kimosabae

Banned
A fighting game's learning curve is only as steep as its competitive community makes it. If the game is worth a damn, the learning curve will always be steep. Don't worry about any perceived gradients and just play the game and have some fun with your friends, which is easy to do, if you allow it. You can find it on Amazon for less than 20 dollars.

"So after buying MVC3 I found a new love for fighting games, previously the only other fighting games I ever bought were Killer Instinct gold and Super Smash Bros. If I pick up SSFIV will I get my ass handed to me? Does it have a deeper learning curve than MVC3?"

You'll get your ass handed to you simply because people have been playing SSF4 for 2-3 years now. That's a huge head start, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it anyway. The learning curve isn't really any steeper or shallower.

Kunohara said:
I've only played 3 games, so I can't really judge yet if the online is terrible, but I have heard things about it.

And I play on my TV. Don't know if that was meant as a joke considering you guys were just talking about the monitors used at EVO :)

Also, I really don't like playing charge characters. I can't ever fucking pull off any moves that are like Guile's flash kick. It really annoys me. I've read up on shortcuts, but I have a lousy memory and always forget about them.

Just wondering. I first played on a big hdtv, and the input lag was unbearable. Trying it online was even worse. 'Just saying.

Rice-Eater said:
I don't know why he hasn't shown up in any tournaments. But a short while back he had a long session with Banana Ken and it was posted on Shin Akuma's youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LpbT8tf7SM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWeS4MeDIdw&feature=related

Yeah Jose is actually in grad school in michigan right now, so he doesn't travel but I know he goes to all the michigan/ohio tourneys. I forgot what it was, but he was recently at that tourney w/ the wolfkrone/flash fiasco.

edit - Mr. TEKNOPATHETIC did you get my pm about >>this<< ?

vulva

black_vegeta said:
No no sir, you are mistaken.

It's Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry...Street Fighter 4: Neapolitan Editionz
no, I'm right and that's stupid. Vanilla made sense, that's it.

vulva

AkumaHokoru said:
no you are quite wrong. so says the rest of the sf community.
I've only seen a small handful of people use the terms strawberry or chocolate. The rest have been calling it Vanilla, Super and AE.

Kunohara

the_log_ride said:
Just wondering. I first played on a big hdtv, and the input lag was unbearable. Trying it online was even worse. 'Just saying.

Oh ok. I don't have a problem with playing offline, so my tv seems to be fine. I also play with the 360 controller, and I am severely tempted to buy a stick or pad, but I have a feeling I'll get buyers remorse. Playing with the d-pad is starting to get a little annoying, especially for charge characters like I mentioned before.

vulva

AkumaHokoru said:
Then you havent been paying much attention.
Weird, checking my chatlogs from #capcom, all talk of chocolate and strawberry are just referencing actual food for atleast the past month or two. I'm lurking 24/7. I guess they don't talk much about street fighter in #capcom...

because capcom is totally the mecca of street fighter talk. have you actually read half the shit they talk about in capcom? come on man.

vulva

AkumaHokoru said:
read your logs again.
found 3 mentions of chocolate referring to ssf4, one of which was someone asking what it meant. That's going back to around early Jan. Don't feel like ctrl+fing through all of this to keep reading about chocolate edamame and chocolate nipples

Happy Phantom said:
found 3 mentions of chocolate referring to ssf4, one of which was someone asking what it meant. That's going back to around early Jan. Don't feel like ctrl+fing through all of this to keep reading about chocolate edamame and chocolate nipples
wow you took that seriously...I meant capcom is not discussing sf nearly as much as they discuss random shit so it isnt exactly SF central.

vulva

AkumaHokoru said:
wow you took that seriously...I meant capcom is not discussing sf nearly as much as they discuss random shit so it isnt exactly SF central.
ah, misread. Of course it's not just SF but it's a good sample of the community and they discuss that shit pretty frequently.

Maybe it's just the aspects of the community I participate in that doesn't really use those terms. On here it's very rarely referred to in those term, #capcom as well. I guess that leaves SRK which I don't really check and streamchats, which I hope don't represent the community ;p

the_log_ride said:

Oh yeah, I forgot all about this. My first time playing SF4 was on my big 50 inch plasma. I wasn't serious yet and just played for fun. I didn't notice a thing back then. My PS3 died and I got SF4 for my PC. I played it on a ACER H233H, which has minimal lag. I didn't know that when I bought it, I just got it because I thought it looked nice. I played that for a little while until I got my PS3 fixed. Lets just that the first couple of days on my plasma was practically unbearable, I was raging so hard. That's when I started doing some research and found out about TV lag.

So basically it does matter. I guess that's not your problem Kunohara, but take it into consideration if you're not playing on anything other then a CRT or a recommended monitor.

Kunohara

A Samsung 40 inch LCD TV. I had no idea that TV's made that much of a difference. Interesting.

I'm not that serious enough to lug my 360 to the computer room and hook it up to my computer monitor just to play one game.

That Samsung should have a "game mode" to reduce lag by a bit.

Alternatively, try playing the Xbox over VGA, as I don't think Samsung TVs do postproscessing for that input (at least mine doesn't).

_dementia said:
That samsung should have a "game mode" to reduce lag by a bit.

And that's why I asked. what _dem said is correct. Find the option for game mode on that sucker, and you'll be able to tell a bit of difference.

Kunohara

Yeah actually it does. I tried it once and never noticed a difference. I thought it was for how it looked. I'll try it out tonight.

the_log_ride said:
And that's why I asked. what _dem said is correct. Find the option for game mode on that sucker, and you'll be able to tell a bit of difference.

Kunohara said:
Yeah actually it does. I tried it once and never noticed a difference. I thought it was for how it looked. I'll try it out tonight.

As I mentioned before, mine has a Game mode. When I first got my Samsung, I noticed the lag, once I found out there was a "Game" mode...it was night and day.

I noticed a huge difference.

SmokeMaxX

Note that Game Mode doesn't always remove all post-processing. Sometimes Game Mode just sharpens the picture WITHOUT affecting input lag.

Also, I am proud to announce that I am formally sponsoring ARK Chaotix for A.R.K. III. He will get his entrance + SSF4 tournament fees paid for as well as a keg fee if we have it. Also, I am putting $10 on him over Team White Trash TostitoSalsa in Smash 64.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It is done. :)

Going to mess around with the stream tonight. Hopefully quality is even better. Thanks Vis for the help. I'm running dual monitor setup now.

Pop On Arrival said:
Calling Super Chocolate or strawberry is fucking dumb and people should stop doing it. Goodness.

Yeah I don't like it either, but I'm biased because Vanilla is my favorite ice cream and I hate chocolate and strawberry.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Square Triangle said:
Does it have a deeper learning curve than MVC3?

Does the pope shit in the woods?

Yes, it has a slightly deeper learning curve. Because it wasn't dumbed down to A/B/C/S (er-L/M/H/S) system that MvC3 uses. SSF4 uses the traditional L/M/H P/K system that it and the versus series (MSHvsSF, XMvsSF, MvC, MvC2, SNKvsCap, SNKvsCap2) used before TvC and MvC3.

That's not say "DERP IT'S HARD TO GET INTO" but the FADC and all that is probably going to blow your mind for a bit.

Also expect it to be slower than Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom