• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
because its superman, it seems from the clips he has been running around for awhile now and has even told his best bud james his secret. Superman is a world saver, not a city one. While most of his problems are driven to one city he has no problems going other places. So why would he ignore big issues in other major cities? He wouldn't. So only way I see it ever happening and it being tied together would be because flash jumped to another universe.
We already know this show is part of the Arrowverse it was confirmed by the exec producer....

The Hollywood Reporter even reported Greg Berlanti had in his contract for Supergirl that she can appear on Arrow and The Flash.

the first couple minutes im thinking "what the fuck"
then the airplane stuff "ok maybe this wont be that bad"
then more stupid looking drama-ish stuff ugh
the "girl" argument "oof not like this"
the "cousin" stuff seems like that will get old really fast
the actual action stuff doesn't seem bad and the lead seems cute

overall reaction:
post-31580-Larry-David-cringe-meh-gif-Img-wyjc.gif

the first couple minutes im thinking "what the fuck"
then the airplane stuff "ok maybe this wont be that bad"
then more stupid looking drama-ish stuff ugh
the "girl" argument "oof not like this"
the "cousin" stuff seems like that will get old really fast
the actual action stuff doesn't seem bad and the lead seems cute

overall reaction:
post-31580-Larry-David-cringe-meh-gif-Img-wyjc.gif

This is pretty much me exactly.

The flying scenes were incredibly corny and no sense of epic nature considering she is supergirl . The flying flip back was quite laughable. The only thing I did like is they jump straight into who she is rather than her hiding her identity from the guy for 6 seasons

The soap opera feel is a real turn off

DaveH

We already know this show is part of the Arrowverse it was confirmed by the exec producer....
Post the quote.

The only thing we have is an iffy "it's possible" (like in the sense, "anything is possible") hearsay from over 7 months ago before the pilot was written / shot, the series was picked up, etc.

He was just promoting excitement for the show, not giving a blood oath forfeiting his firstborn if otherwise... it's not a reliable statement to hang your hat on.

Cheebo

Banned
Post the quote.

The only thing we have is an iffy "it's possible" (like in the sense, "anything is possible") hearsay from over 7 months ago before the pilot was written / shot, the series was picked up, etc.

He was just promoting excitement for the show, not giving a blood oath forfeiting his firstborn if otherwise... it's not a reliable statement to hang your hat on.
He brought it up again at the upfronts which was about a week ago, I don't have a link off hand but I will find it.

border

Male superhero with jokes, a hardass boss, and an obvious love interest plotline -- "Looks good!"

Female superhero with jokes, a hardass boss, and an obvious love interest -- "What is this, a romantic comedy? It's like Ugly Betty! This soap opera bullshit is such a turn-off."

Bessy67

Looks like it could be pretty fun. Hopefully it won't be too preachy and in your face with the feminism stuff though.

pharmx

Male superhero with jokes, a hardass boss, and an obvious love interest plotline -- "Looks good!"

Female superhero with jokes, a hardass boss, and an obvious love interest -- "What is this, a romantic comedy? It's like Ugly Betty! This soap opera bullshit is such a turn-off."

is this really a male vs female thing? is that what you're arguing?

mfqPz6p.gif

(Also, yeah, it kind of is? I don't really see a difference in tone, really, from what I've seen from The Flash)

Flash has a central purpose to the show , it always falls apart during the soap operaish parts. This screams soap operaish before it even airs where everyone knows their places and there seems to be a lack of purpose to the character apart from being supergirl

anaron

people are so transparent and dumb, it's hilarious.

ivysaur12

Banned
Flash has a central purpose to the show , it always falls apart during the soap operaish parts. This screams soap operaish before it even airs where everyone knows their places and there seems to be a lack of purpose to the character apart from being supergirl

Not going to lie, I find that to be a pretty outlandish take away from that trailer.

border

is this really a male vs female thing? is that what you're arguing?

I'm not arguing anything except that the gender of a few lead characters has a tendency to influence how some people perceive relatively common elements of the superhero genre. Supergirl basically has all the same personal problems and issues as Peter Parker. But nobody ever claimed that Spider-Man movies were too influenced by soap operas or The Devil Wears Prada.

anaron

dude, just stop. you're clearly basing that off a pop song accompanying parts of the trailer because it's almost exactly the same as the one for The Flash

Not going to lie, I find that to be a pretty outlandish take away from that trailer.

You can see from the trailer which might show more than 1 episode of clips that this is people going through the motions and supergirl has no drive being supergirl apart from the fact that she is supergirl. Every good show has the character driven to being a hero, this doesn't which is why I said a slightly darker theme would have worked better

ivysaur12

Banned
You can see from the trailer which might show more than 1 episode of clips that this is people going through the motions and supergirl has no drive being supergirl apart from the fact that she is supergirl. Every good show has the character driven to being a hero, this doesn't which is why I said a slightly darker theme would have worked better

Does The Flash have any drive to be The Flash? He's hit by lightning. He doesn't "do" anything to become to The Flash, he just is The Flash (unlike Arrow).

Shaanyboi

Banned
You're basing this off a 6 minute summarization of a pilot episode?

The Cowboy

Rewatched the Flash trailer and I see no difference at all beyond a pop song... and hey, that seems pretty damn appropriate to Supergirl.
I just re-watched it to and think the 2 trailers are vastly different, they both have very similar setups (i like how both had a bump into someone at the start :D) - but The Flash trailer top me is a hell of a lot better in how its done and it just feels so much more epic (the music really helps with this).

And i really do prefer how The Flash music as its more of a theme, Supergirl's is much more of a pop song.

anaron

lmao

this is just a trailer for the pilot and saving her sister and a dozen other civilians from dying in a plane crash doesn't make sense as a drive to save lives? K

Shaanyboi

Banned
I just re-watched it to and think the 2 trailers are vastly different, they both have very similar setups (i like how both had a bump into someone at the start :D) - but The Flash trailer top me is a hell of a lot better in how its done and it just feels so much more epic (the music really helps with this).

And i really do prefer how The Flash music as its more of a theme, Supergirl's is much more of a pop song.

...yo, Supergirl catches a flaming plane and guides it through the supports of a bridge. lol

I'm not arguing anything except that the gender of a few lead characters has a tendency to influence how some people perceive relatively common elements of the superhero genre. Supergirl basically has all the same personal problem and issues as Peter Parker. But nobody ever claimed that Spider-Man movies were too influenced by soap operas or that The Devil Wears Prada.

dude, just stop. you're clearly basing that off a pop song accompanying parts of the trailer because it's almost exactly the same as the one for The Flash

I think the problem here is that the Supergirl trailer is focusing on the bad soap opera stuff while throwing in some bits of the actual interesting Superhero stuff. The Flash trailer that was posted here is almost 100% focused on the superhero stuff. It's a bad first impression and the reactions aren't that surprising. Also, the terrible pop music in the Supergirl trailer probably doesn't help.

Does The Flash have any drive to be The Flash? He's hit by lightning. He doesn't "do" anything to become to The Flash, he just is The Flash (unlike Arrow).

Did you miss the part where he starts off driven to find his mothers killer and his though off as a nerd thinks he will never find until he gets the power which increases his purpose of finding his mothers killers and get his father out of jail.

I don't see anything close to that drive yet.maybe later episodes

lmao

this is just a trailer for the pilot and saving her sister and a dozen other civilians from dying in a plane crash doesn't make sense as a drive to save lives? K

The plane rescue scene reminded me of superman returns, another one of superhero movies/tv I didn't like

ivysaur12

Banned
Did you miss the part where he starts off driven to find his mothers killer and his though off as a nerd thinks he will never find until he gets the power which increases his purpose of finding his mothers killers and get his father out of jail.

I don't see anything close to that drive yet.maybe later episodes

And she only reveals her powers to save her sister's life. What's your point?

The Cowboy

...yo, Supergirl catches a flaming plane and guides it through the supports of a bridge. lol

That doesn't mean its more epic in feel, that just means it had an epic moment. That's the main part of the trailer that impressed me, but it doesn't make the entire 6 minutes feel epic - with The Flash trailer the whole thing to me felt epic with the great choice of scenes and great theme over the top of it. Still as i said, I'm not writing it off over the trailer, parts of it have me interested, but other parts just don't so I'll be giving it a chance (the more super hero shows the better i say :D).

Poyunch

I dunno there seems to be a drive to be a superhero.

She gets outed as existing and she's like: "Fuck it, I'll embrace who I am."
Her cousin's a superhero too and she's like: "Fuck it, I'll embrace who I am."
Her parents said she's destined to do great things and she's like: "Fuck it, I'll embrace who I am."

The theme's about living up to your potential instead of just living out your life in monotony. It's also just kind of nice to have a relatable female superhero on TV. Now it's not just a boy's club thing.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's just a low quality drama. Doesn't necessarily mean there is a complicated romance.

Like what, exactly? Again, not saying this was the most perfect trailer of the most TV show in the world, but almost nothing struck as something that had more contrived dramatic moments than The Flash pilot.

Was quite good, got right into it especially once they started getting into her history and link to Superman right after the first cut, and the the action was pretty good and the special effects probably aren't even finished yet.

That was really good, and even the final version of the suit looked surprisingly good even in bright day time outside in that action scene.

I liked the mix of comedy and serious like Flash. The joke with the cape and then him saying never tell Superman I said that got me to laugh. I also liked that they jumped right into showing Supergirl seemingly having to work with that Department of Extra-normal Operations to bring in bigger similar elements as Flash, Arrow, and Shield.

Guys, Supergirl can still cross over with the Arrowverse without even MENTIONING Kal-El, and I guarantee it will happen at some point if this show runs longer than one season.

Even if they have to use the multiverse, these are comic book shows. There's a million explanations to choose from. Hell, give them numbered universes in the actual DC Multiverse. Arrowverse is Earth-50 and Supergirlverse is Earth-37. Solved your problem, right there.

Agreed.

You know I wouldn't even be surprised if they decide that they'll just roll with Superman and Batman existing in the Arrowverse and write it off as something they couldn't bring up until the shows established themselves (which they now have with two, soon to be three plus shows) since those are two of the biggest properties.

Supergirl needs a theme song. I love the four-note Flash theme.

Good rundown of the trailer from a YouTuber I follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7XeRFBaAX8 (skip to about 6 minutes since his video includes the trailer). He goes over the characters and their comic backstories.

Definitely, that's the one thing perhaps missing from this first look I think, they could use an iconic sounding "main character hero theme" like Flash's.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sometimes I feel like "soap opera" is stretched to the point where it basically means two characters talking about anything other than plot/exposition, or cracking wise. Oh man, she has work aspirations and one guy asks her out? SOAP!

Yes. That's not what soapy means. Soapy is unearned, contrived plot threads that harken to something that would be acceptable on a soap opera. Often times, this is sort of stretched to something that's, like, overly relationship focused, but -- and this isn't me being overly protective of the show, I don't see anything that would fit that description?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom