• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

I assume she had the same Man of Steel talk from her parents. Hide yourself, keep it on the downlow.

But she could still just be herself since she never showed anyone her powers. When she's talking with her adoptive sister she doesn't wear the glasses.

border

well i dont know which male superhero shows have hard bosses. daredevil arrow flash dont have those but in the cw shows the love stuff is ALWAYS annoying. no one likes that shit. quit acting like this is only because its a girl main character

Spider-Man has a hardass boss (well, in the Sam Raimi films).

People audibly cheer when he kisses Mary Jane upside down or she says "Go get 'em tiger!" at the end of Spider Man 2. Few complain about that love story angle and even fewer refer to it as soap opera-ish.

The Supergirl trailer has only the tiniest, tiniest hints of romance and I already hear "Blah this love stuff is terrible!"

It looks incredibly fun and charming! Oh, and it seems that Melissa Benoist was an amazing choice for this part. I'm hyped for this!

That was surprisingly awesome. This looks even better than The Flash (which is fun) to be honest. I like it!

High five!

They'll bring back Tom Welling for this and he'll wear the suit and you'll like it.

As awesome as it would be to actually Superman in this, it won't happen. Didn't someone close to DC say that Batman and Superman would never be in any of these shows?

Lazyslob

Banned
Spider-Man has a hardass boss (well, in the Sam Raimi films).

People audibly cheer when he kisses Mary Jane upside down or she says "Go get 'em tiger!" at the end of Spider Man 2. Few complain about that love story angle and even fewer refer to it as soap opera-ish.

The Supergirl trailer has only the tiniest, tiniest hints of romance and I already hear "Blah this love stuff is terrible!"

well the problem i have with the cw shows is the soap opera elements. i really dont like that and thats why i think this show looks bad because it seems way more about that than any of the other shows

It looks incredibly fun and charming! Oh, and it seems that Melissa Benoist was an amazing choice for this part. I'm hyped for this!

2R6Xpcr.gif

munchie64

Looks good, will watch.

I am way too caught up in the Arrowverse crossover thing. I mean it shouldn't mater at all, but it's freaking me out man.

Oh God why do they always have to overexplain the S. It's because they are super we get it, it's cheesy but it's not as cheesy as "coat of arms", "hope" and what not.

border

well the problem i have with the cw shows is the soap opera elements. i really dont like that and thats why i think this show looks bad because it seems way more about that than any of the other shows

I kinda look forward to it if only because it will be interesting to see how a man deals with having a girlfriend that is his physical superior in almost every way. It's something rarely dealt with in this sort of material, and generally written off by having female superheroes date only other male superheroes. Buffy's brief stint dating Riley in S4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the last time I remember that topic even being approached on television.

If you just have a general aversion to love subplots in any superhero fiction that's fine, but I don't really see how this show has "way more" of that content. There's a slight moment of sexual tension when she meets Jimmy Olsen and when she tells her sister that she's about to go on a blind date, but The Flash trailer has just about as much of a love-angle being played.

oh man that music is still killing me, I can't watch it without my mind instantly going to parody of some shitty generic network show.

I'll still watch it of course but lol that trailer.

Sami+

Looks really awful. :/ The actress seems talented I guess but the vibe just looks awful. It's like New Girl with a cape, was hoping for something that actually took itself seriously.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Holy fucking shit this is going to be awesome. I had to stop watching with a minute to go because it started getting super interesting but by god this looks amazing. DC is just nailing it TV wise.

Gotchaye

I mean, comics are pretty soap opera-ish. Everybody's got secrets upon secrets and a tragic past, people fake their own deaths (often several times each), people turn out to be related in unlikely and significant ways, there's constant relationship drama, enemies become allies and allies become enemies (again often a single character switches sides multiple times), etc. CW's format actually seems to me to be a really good fit for superheroes. They're really good at just taking some fun plot ideas and shoving as much of them as possible into an episode. Things happen.

What's a problem is when the shows spend a lot of time on very boring or annoying plots. These shows can work with almost anything as long as they're not slow. This is the problem with Flash's "keeping Iris in the dark" plot - it's fine if you do this for five minutes but nobody wants to see Flash complaining about not being able to be honest or Iris complaining that everyone is keeping secrets from her episode after episode after episode. Or Arrow's pointless adventures in Hong Kong that we all know end with him for some reason back on that same island.

So it's kind of weird to me to complain that the Supergirl preview is soap opera-ish. First, what were you expecting? It's a comic book show. But, second, it seems to short circuit a lot of the more soap opera-ish bits from the other shows. There's not going to be some big extended "I wish I could tell you what's going on but I just can't" thing. There's no "I haven't told you about my tragic past where I was trapped on an island and then there were terrorists and then I was in Hong Kong and then I was back home but I couldn't talk to you and then I was back in Hong Kong and then the US military or something took over Hong Kong and almost killed everyone and then I ended up back on that damn island, oh and the guy I was friends with in Hong Kong is the main henchman of the guy we're fighting now" thing. She was a kid when her parents sent her here and now she's got superpowers, so she's going to superhero.

Wiktor

Damn...all that CBS money...everything superpoweres-fantastical looks so damn good.
I like the tone. It's light, optimistic and funny, but still feels epic and yet different from Flash. And the girl is adorable.
It's also great there's no "secret identity the closest people to me do not know" drama.

Overall..looks killer and judging by this promo, they're packing a lot into the pilot. Hope the pace will keep up. Oh..wait..it's Arrow/Flash guys...of course it will :D

Lazyslob

Banned
I kinda look forward to it if only because it will be interesting to see how a man deals with having a girlfriend that is his physical superior in almost every way. It's something rarely dealt with in this sort of material, and generally written off by having female superheroes date only other male superheroes. Buffy's brief stint dating Riley in S4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the last time I remember that topic even being approached on television.

If you just have a general aversion to love subplots in any superhero fiction that's fine, but I don't really see how this show has "way more" of that content. There's a slight moment of sexual tension when she meets Jimmy Olsen and when she tells her sister that she's about to go on a blind date, but The Flash trailer has just about as much of a love-angle being played.

and the flash does have a huge love angle on none of it is good other than memes i guess

So it's kind of weird to me to complain that the Supergirl preview is soap opera-ish. First, what were you expecting? It's a comic book show. But, second, it seems to short circuit a lot of the more soap opera-ish bits from the other shows. There's not going to be some big extended "I wish I could tell you what's going on but I just can't" thing. There's no "I haven't told you about my tragic past where I was trapped on an island and then there were terrorists and then I was in Hong Kong and then I was back home but I couldn't talk to you and then I was back in Hong Kong and then the US military or something took over Hong Kong and almost killed everyone and then I ended up back on that damn island, oh and the guy I was friends with in Hong Kong is the main henchman of the guy we're fighting now" thing. She was a kid when her parents sent her here and now she's got superpowers, so she's going to superhero.

This is my favorite part. No angst, just excitement over being able to help people.

Sami+

... what?

I like Man of Steel's trailers

Not the movie really, the writing was sloppy as fuck, but the tone they shot for was really exciting and the trailers were incredible

This is... not really what I was hoping for, or expecting

Yeah, that doesn't even make sense.

First trailer.
Only 6 minutes.
Edited out of order for teaser purposes.

Yes I'm sure the show takes a complete heel turn and the tone and writing of the trailer is actually nothing at all like the real show

Wiktor

I bet the people of Starling City feel like they got the short end of the stick. Other cities get Superman, Supergirl, or the Flash, and they get a guy that shoots arrows.

Maybe. But you can bet normal criminals are far more terrified of the guy with arrows than any of the others :)

border

I am actually kind of left wondering how they are going to handle all the non-action parts of the show, if they aren't going to deal with her having a double life. They cannot afford to fill the show with Avengers-esque massive CG setpieces, so there actually needs to be some kind of compelling character drama to fill out most of the runtime.

Kirye

I was skeptical when they casted Melissa Benoist for this role, but looking at this trailer I can definitely get behind this now!

Looks like a really fun show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom