• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
I can understand people not liking this, but fuck if that tone isn't appealing. Looks like a lot of fun which is a good change of pace. I mean yeah the effects look bad, but that's pretty much what I expect from most TV. Even Game of Thrones doesn't look perfect.

the first couple minutes im thinking "what the fuck"
then the airplane stuff "ok maybe this wont be that bad"
then more stupid looking drama-ish stuff ugh
the "girl" argument "oof not like this"
the "cousin" stuff seems like that will get old really fast
the actual action stuff doesn't seem bad and the lead seems cute

overall reaction:
post-31580-Larry-David-cringe-meh-gif-Img-wyjc.gif

This is how I feel, except I think I enjoyed the first few minutes a bit more than you.

Sometimes I feel like "soap opera" is stretched to the point where it basically means two characters talking about anything other than plot/exposition, or cracking wise. Oh man, she has work aspirations and one guy asks her out? SOAP!

Meanwhile, one of the most popular superhero books (and to a lesser extent, movie series) ever is X-Men.

Which is nothing if not a damned soap opera.

Also, that dude driving the truck is fuckin dead.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Is it just me or is that shot of her flying a still photo that they just move around? I know the hair and cape are rustling but the face and arms seem really static.

Wouldn't be surprising as it's a cheap but effective way to get the look of 'flying'. I imagine it looks a lot like this behind the scenes:

5UGA5mg.gif

border

All told there's maybe 60-90 seconds out of a 6 minute trailer that is devoted to her work life and her personal life. People are acting like more than half of it is her getting chewed out by her boss or crying about a man that doesn't love her.

ivysaur12

Banned
Meanwhile, one of the most popular superhero books (and to a lesser extent, movie series) ever is X-Men.

Which is nothing if not a damned soap opera.

Also, that dude driving the truck is fuckin dead.

Soapy feels sort of like a code word, honestly. *shrug emoticon Kermit drinking tea of something*

because its superman, it seems from the clips he has been running around for awhile now and has even told his best bud james his secret. Superman is a world saver, not a city one. While most of his problems are driven to one city he has no problems going other places. So why would he ignore big issues in other major cities? He wouldn't. So only way I see it ever happening and it being tied together would be because flash jumped to another universe.

it can be easily explained away by saying he was off-planet or he had something else going on. DC heroes by and large don't go meddling in other heroe's turf.

is this really a male vs female thing? is that what you're arguing?

we already have people throwing the word "feminism" and "girl power" around.

Flash has a central purpose to the show , it always falls apart during the soap operaish parts. This screams soap operaish before it even airs where everyone knows their places and there seems to be a lack of purpose to the character apart from being supergirl

you're like Eobard Thawne, time traveler and all that.

Did you miss the part where he starts off driven to find his mothers killer and his though off as a nerd thinks he will never find until he gets the power which increases his purpose of finding his mothers killers and get his father out of jail.

I don't see anything close to that drive yet.maybe later episodes

The plane rescue scene reminded me of superman returns, another one of superhero movies/tv I didn't like

did you miss the part at the beginning when she's talking to her sister and laments the fact that she is meant for more than be some lowly assistant who fetches coffee all day? I guess you did.

Orca

I thought it was kind of weak that she gets turned down by the military or whoever, then she's just crying in her apartment...wtf, this is SUPERGIRL...

Like what, exactly? Again, not saying this was the most perfect trailer of the most TV show in the world, but almost nothing struck as something that had more contrived dramatic moments than The Flash pilot.

Nearly everything in the trailer and almost every dramatic moment in The Arrow and The Flash that is focused on the mundane portions of their lives. It's not high quality stuff, but it usually doesn't stop it from being entertaining. I think the trailer had too much of a focus on that. As a trailer it could have been a lot better.

I was using soap opera as an umbrella term for low quality drama btw. Not really that its focused on relationships.

Volimar

I bet the people of Starling City feel like they got the short end of the stick. Other cities get Superman, Supergirl, or the Flash, and they get a guy that shoots arrows.

Ke0

I bet the people of Starling City feel like they got the short end of the stick. Other cities get Superman, Supergirl, or the Flash, and they get a guy that shoots arrows.

Well I mean Ollie can shoot arrows into the night sky and zipline away.

That's almost like flying.

Is it just me or does the lady in the background running look like she's not really there? That or it's just a backdrop.

it can be easily explained away by saying he was off-planet or he had something else going on. DC heroes by and large don't go meddling in other heroe's turf.

we already have people throwing the word "feminism" and "girl power" around.

you're like Eobard Thawne, time traveler and all that.

did you miss the part at the beginning when she's talking to her sister and laments the fact that she is meant for more than be some lowly assistant who fetches coffee all day? I guess you did.

You are not really serious about that part as a drive over that 'as a matter of fact comment' are you. People do have the right not to like the theme which this is going for, a theme which I think could be darker to make an impact more than anything. When this show was first announced i envisioned this to be be about discovering yourself as to who you really are, this seems to go all over that. Maybe it's another origin story but all before were from a man's superhero origin and I wanted it from a females perspective rather than hey here we all know who we are and you know maybe I can fly I have never tried it in my life oddly enough. I wanted a struggle and I am getting to struggle with less than that. It might get better as it goes but the start here is not good

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Is it just me or is that shot of her flying a still photo that they just move around? I know the hair and cape are rustling but the face and arms seem really static.

I can see her moving, but the feeling is definitely there. It looks like one of those Gaf gifs with the pastor doing the airplane gesture and then flying away

that punch, rofl. Is she hitting him with her hand or elbow?

I like how she's got a smile as she goes over to beating up those two mooks. Similar to Barry.

nE1ZYZV.gif

I'm super hyped.

This (and the plane) was pretty freaking good for TV. And it may not even be finished yet.

The initial hit with all the metal bending is way better than I would have expected, her stopping it dead looked suitably powerful for TV budget.

I really hope that kind of music doesn't play every episode.

If you mean that ugh song they ended with agreed, biggest choice I didn't like, please don't use a lot of that awful stuff. That should have been hype building music like a superhero theme, especially with the cool stuff they were showing.

You are not really serious about that part as a drive over that 'as a matter of fact comment' are you. People do have the right not to like the theme which this is going for, a theme which I think could be darker to make an impact more than anything. When this show was first announced i envisioned this to be be about discovering yourself as to who you really are, this seems to go all over that. Maybe it's another origin story but all before were from a man's superhero origin and I wanted it from a females perspective rather than hey here we all know who we are and you know maybe I can fly I have never tried it in my life oddly enough. I wanted a struggle and I am getting to struggle with less than that. It might get better as it goes but the start here is not good

and since the pilot hasn't aired you may well get your wish. what you don't have a right to do is state with certainty that this show is this instead of that. now if you didn't like the trailer that's fine, but you're going off on some wild tangent about how the show is missing the mark and how the character has no motivation.

Briarios

I thought it was kind of weak that she gets turned down by the military or whoever, then she's just crying in her apartment...wtf, this is SUPERGIRL...

No, it'a about her BECOMING Supergirl ... it's the journey. Now, that may not be what you want ... maybe you want the angry, angsty Supergirl back. But, I'm glad we see something lighter, about hope more.

Oh, and I think the guy in the truck is an alien ... so, probably still alive and still a big fight to come. You see it earlier in the clip.

and since the pilot hasn't aired you may well get your wish. what you don't have a right to do is state with certainty that this show is this instead of that. now if you didn't like the trailer that's fine, but you're going off on some wild tangent about how the show is missing the mark and how the character has no motivation.

There are many who will see this character as having no motivation and the show is missing the mark at least in initial reveal. It's legitimate criticism which might be alleviated as we see more

She looks good. Dunno how I feel about it looking like "The Devil Wears Prada" but she looks good. And way better when her legs were bare......... *yum*

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think this looks decent, I won't be checking it out day one since I'm watching too many shows, but depending on the reception of the first season I may jump in.

They really nailed that plane scene, I loved it when she quipped. Effects were what I expected, ranging from "hmm, that was a bit shit but I don't mind" to "ohh, that actually looked pretty good".

On the negative side, I understand what they were going for with the music at the end but that song was pretty naff (and I like pop). It did make it feel like a parody video while it was playing.

Finaika

Haha looks like this is going to be a lot of fun!

I like that they're going with the smiling and more optimistic version of Supergirl and not the darker new 52 one.

Melissa is perfect for the role, can't wait!

anaron

Was quite good, got right into it especially once they started getting into her history and link to Superman right after the first cut, and the the action was pretty good and the special effects probably aren't even finished yet.

That was really good, and even the final version of the suit looked surprisingly good even in bright day time outside in that action scene.

I liked the mix of comedy and serious like Flash. The joke with the cape and then him saying never tell Superman I said that got me to laugh. I also liked that they jumped right into showing Supergirl seemingly having to work with that Department of Extra-normal Operations to bring in bigger similar elements as Flash, Arrow, and Shield.

Agreed.

You know I wouldn't even be surprised if they decide that they'll just roll with Superman and Batman existing in the Arrowverse and write it off as something they couldn't bring up until the shows established themselves (which they now have with two, soon to be three plus shows) since those are two of the biggest properties.

Definitely, that's the one thing perhaps missing from this first look I think, they could use an iconic sounding "main character hero theme" like Flash's.

which it's going to have. Blake Neely, Arrow and Flash's composer, is doing Supergirl's score.

Skux

Well Supergirl gets "National City", the absolute worst superhero city name ever.

National City. You might as well call it "Urban Country" or "Area District".

Lazyslob

Banned
Male superhero with jokes, a hardass boss, and an obvious love interest plotline -- "Looks good!"

Female superhero with jokes, a hardass boss, and an obvious love interest -- "What is this, a romantic comedy? It's like Ugly Betty! This soap opera bullshit is such a turn-off."

well i dont know which male superhero shows have hard bosses. daredevil arrow flash dont have those but in the cw shows the love stuff is ALWAYS annoying. no one likes that shit. quit acting like this is only because its a girl main character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom