• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

I don't want it to happen for a while. I want Supergirl to have its own voice, which it looks like it will have. I want fun, excitement and optimism. I don't want the cesspool of Arrow season three to ruin that.

Crossovers still retain the atmosphere of the show. When Oliver arrived in Central City the story didn't turn dark and brutal. There's no reason to believe it would be any different in Supergirl.

But I do want a longer while before the crossovers happen. Supergirl seems exciting enough on her own.

Wiktor

I am now judging the quality of Supergirl's narrative, acting, and SFX with Season 1 of the Flash. There is no reason they cannot be as good as that.
I hope so. But it might be hard. Supergirl doesn't have decades of insanely good comicbook arcs to drew their inspiration from.
Unless they do what they did with Arrow. As Arrow ripped Batman's storylines Supergirl will rip Superman's ones :D

No crossovers at all please.

Acknowledge it's a shared universe through news stories, etc if they absolutely must, but keep Barry and Ollie out of the show and vice versa.

Let this show stand on its own, with its own villains and Kara dealing with them herself. I don't want episodes where she calls in Ollie or Barry because she's having problems, I want to see her overcome those problems herself and grow as a character as a result.

Wiktor

No crossovers at all please.

Acknowledge it's a shared universe through news stories, etc if they absolutely must, but keep Barry and Ollie out of the show and vice versa.

Let this show stand on its own, with its own villains and Kara dealing with them herself. I don't want episodes where she calls in Ollie or Barry because she's having problems, I want to see her overcome those problems herself and grow as a character as a result.

Preview_zps7ehzp0vl.jpg

Finaika

How CBS' Supergirl Trailer Became a Viral Sensation; Clip has garnered more than 10 million views in just a week.

Yet, not even an upfront vet like Schweitzer was prepared for the astounding global reaction to CBS' trailer for Supergirl, one of fall's most eagerly anticipated new shows, after it debuted at the network's May 13 upfront. His group consulted with The CW's marketing and press teams who offered guidance on launching a superhero project. "We were warned that this thing would go viral quickly," said Schweitzer, and that's just what happened. Within two days, more than 5 million people had viewed the trailer online. A week after its May 13 debut, that number has risen to more than 10 million.

The 10 million figure eclipses the total views of all the other CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox upfront trailer combined. "It's unbelievable," said Schweitzer. "That's more than [the audience for] some of our shows."

The secret to the trailer's online success? "We wanted to make sure we captured three things: heroics, humor and heart," said Schweitzer. "Because, to us, that was the essence of Supergirl." With a running time of more than six minutes, it's also one of the longest upfront trailers CBS has produced. "But we really felt we wanted to show both sides, the relationship, emotion, female-empowerment side, and then action—hey, superhero fans, here's this, too," he said.

Still, it wasn't without its detractors, including some who compared its relationship-centric first half to Saturday Night Live's recent Black Widow sketch. Berlanti hopes skeptics will reserve judgment until they watch the pilot. "There is just as much or more action in Supergirl as there is in any show we have with a male lead," said Berlanti.

neoanarch

The SNL skit was so on the nose someone had to have pitched it in response to the pilot. Honestly I hope they drop the whole Devil Wears Prada thing.

Joni

There's some biting irony in going to the CW to make your network show popular!
And they still have an easier way to get everyone watching: The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon has already mentioned The Flash, it is sharing the same timeslot, ...

Effect

Grant doesn't appear in too many episodes. He did three episodes in Season 4 & 5 while Melissa Benoist was also on the show. They would have seen each other in Season 5's Love, Love, Love where the Warblers and the New Directions sing together with both in their respective glee clubs, and Season 4's Thanksgiving where the same two clubs compete against each other. They might have met during Dynamic Duets but they don't share scenes together I believe. That episode is however important because it is the 'Holding Out For A Hero' episode.

Thanks!

Hagi

I would have been all for a crossover if it wasn't already established that Clark exists in Supergirl. I think that complicates things if they are going to add her to this CW shared universe. I would have preferred that Clark was nowhere near this show and she could stand on her own as a character but I guess that would be asking too much. Jimmy and the whole "Hey you're cousin wanted me to blah blah" was probably the one thing I really didn't like about the trailer.

Wonder how long it's going to take till we get PG.

Wiktor

I would have been all for a crossover if it wasn't already established that Clark exists in Supergirl. I think that complicates things if they are going to add her to this CW shared universe. .

Heh...not anymore, not after that Flash finale :)

WarMacheen

watched the preview, looks like a more modern version of Lois and Clark, without Lois and Clark. I hope it's good

Also the part where the new reporter says "flight blahblah headed for Geneva" and Kara says "Did he say Geneva?" I was like, you were watching the report and you have super hearing...you fucking know he said Geneva.

Hagi

Heh...not anymore, not after that Flash finale :)

Yeah unless we're talking multi-verse crossover that doesn't really change my thoughts lol

I'll wait for Legends of Tomorrow before getting too excited about what the prospects of the Flash finale will bring. In my dream world it would end Olly being an inferior version of Bruce and not be the so dour character he is in the show.

Patryn

I was pro-crossover until I learned that Superman exists in Supergirl.

I really think he brings too much baggage, and leaves way too many open questions for the Arrowverse.

So I'm kind of happy with them being separate.

I would have been all for a crossover if it wasn't already established that Clark exists in Supergirl. I think that complicates things if they are going to add her to this CW shared universe. I would have preferred that Clark was nowhere near this show and she could stand on her own as a character but I guess that would be asking too much. Jimmy and the whole "Hey you're cousin wanted me to blah blah" was probably the one thing I really didn't like about the trailer.

Wonder how long it's going to take till we get PG.

Yeah, this basically.

Wiktor

Yeah unless we're talking multi-verse crossover that doesn't really change my thoughts lol

I'll wait for Legends of Tomorrow before getting too excited about what the prospects of the Flash finale will bring. In my dream world it would end Olly being an inferior version of Bruce and not be the so dour character he is in the show.

Olie is superior version of Bruce now. Screw that "no kill rule" looser :)

I just realized that if this show does indeed end up crossing over with the Flash or Arrow and is an official Arrowverse show, then that would mean that DC is open to having Superman and Batman be referenced and possibly appear or cameo in some form or another.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Excuse me for being late to seeing this tripe. SNL skit or not I'm having trouble imagining how they could have made a less appealing trailer. Fortunately it's a TV show so they might turn it around, but coming from CBS I don't have a lot of faith in that happening. They think being self-aware about it makes it okay, but really that's like being proud you farted in the elevator.

neoanarch

Watching it now. The soundtrack at least is spectacular.

Like I said in the last page that SNL skit was written by someone who has seen the pilot.

Xemnas89

Excuse me for being late to seeing this tripe. SNL skit or not I'm having trouble imagining how they could have made a less appealing trailer. Fortunately it's a TV show so they might turn it around, but coming from CBS I don't have a lot of faith in that happening. They think being self-aware about it makes it okay, but really that's like being proud you farted in the elevator.

Meh I think it looks fine. I have faith in the people working on the show as they knocked it out of the park with the flash, and despite a weak season 3 they've done a great job with arrow too.

Vert boil

Cornball's normal post at these times,

If this has leaked, just to clarify the way this is usually handled on TV GAF - please don't link or detail how to download it. Also, don't ask for PMs describing how to acquire it. If you want to post up some vague discussion under spoiler tags, that's typically ok.

Skux

Yeah can we? We did the same thing with the Flash - obviously no links but discussion allowed in spoiler tags. Just hoping for confirmation in this thread.

LOL I was wondering when (not if) it would and expected it to do so around the time the Flash pilot leaked but I guess I was a month off. I hope it's good and generates the positive buzz like the Flash pilot did.

Wiktor

That pilot. So damn good. The girl is adorable, the effects were awesome and all the human elements actually improved the show instead of dragging it down. And I like that there's already nice strong arc tying everything together.

That was simply a very fun episode. I'm in when the show starts to air.

That pilot. So damn good. The girl is adorable, the effects were awesome and all the human elements actually improved the show instead of dragging it down. And I like that there's already nice strong arc tying everything together.

That was simply a very fun episode. I'm in when the show starts to air.

sweeet.

I'm excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom