• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and they totally used a similar eye effect to the one from MoS. It wasn't as pronounced, but it looked roughly the same.

Took me by surprise actually.

The biggest I have with the show and the villain they set up at the end is...

how on earth does she anticipate to take over the planet when Superman is around and will wreck their shit as soon as they appear?

It was a huge mistake to have MoS Superman feature and be constantly referenced. Probably would have been better off sticking it firmly in Arrowverse and being done with it as the alternative is just going to see me constantly questioning where the hell Superman is when there are planet wide threats....

Dysun

They should have found some excuse to have Superman off planet like the beginning of Superman Returns, or trapped in the Phantom Zone. Anything basically

I chuckled at how they were talking so much about wanting to hide the presence of aliens. Felt so ridiculously stupid.
Yeah, that is kinda dumb. Especially when they've had one flying around in red underpants (well, maybe not) for years.

The biggest I have with the show and the villain they set up at the end is...

how on earth does she anticipate to take over the planet when Superman is around and will wreck their shit as soon as they appear?

It was a huge mistake to have MoS Superman feature and be constantly referenced. Probably would have been better off sticking it firmly in Arrowverse and being done with it as the alternative is just going to see me constantly questioning where the hell Superman is when there are planet wide threats....

Is it the MoS Superman? I assumed this was a completely different universe from that stuff.

Talk about setting the bar so high that it can never realistically be reached.

What's next? Expecting every villain in every drama to be as good as Batiatus from Spartacus?

Anyway, it was really good. I didn't like how in your face the whole 'she's a girl' aspect was. Didn't feel necessary and I hope that's not a recurring theme throughout the show. Also didn't like the Superman mentions, seems pointless to have MoS Superman even referenced when that universe doesn't have traditional things like kryptonite.

I chuckled at how they were talking so much about wanting to hide the presence of aliens. Felt so ridiculously stupid.

If it's from the same creative team, I've got high expectations.

I guess I was the only one who thought at times the pacing was a bit erratic. Maybe it's because there were no commercials as I am accustomed to.

The conversation about the cape being handed over where they referred to Superman as Him, He, and His multiple times was annoying. Why are you scared to speak his name?

And I didn't like the aunt being reveal this early. Because now the bigger plot for each week is going to have a little bit of "How is Kara's aunt going to kill Kara today?"

I'll give it another week. Fight scenes are pretty good. The less-than-stellar ARGUS group looks like an interesting set of folks. I want to see where Kara the not-so-human's character development goes. Because I hope that side of her character isn't solely based around her day job. Just a personal thing.

I guess what attracts me to superheroes is the kind of adversity they have to go through to become a better version of themselves. I haven't seen Kara's yet. There's still time. It is just the pilot after all

Yeah, that is kinda dumb. Especially when they've had one flying around in red underpants (well, maybe not) for years.

Exactly. How no-one even mentions this is just ridiculous.

Is it the MoS Superman? I assumed this was a completely different universe from that stuff.

I'm basing it on
the Superman shots having the same suit from MoS. It's possible it's an entirely different Superman who just happens to have the same suit and general look though.

If it's from the same creative team, I've got high expectations.

Hmm, that's a fair point. I'm not sure if we'll ever see someone as compelling though. RF has such a huge history to draw from. Are there any really high profile Supergirl and as developed villains they could draw from?

Didn't like it. Not to say it's horrible or anything but it's a really bland, standard pilot.

The main actress is good but the character doesn't seem all that different superman, which weird.

Superman being in this shows seems like a mistake in the long run. Why doesn't he show to up to talk to his cousin after she becomes freaking superhero?

I don't know anything about super girls rouge gallery,if she even has any, but this evil cabal of humanish aliens not doing it for me.

Dialogue was over dramatic, it felt false to like people don't talk like that. Supporting cast were there and did there thing like kat grant. They fill out their roles of "best friend that knows my secret", "general that refuses super girls help because?" just fine but nothing to me care about them.

Just no type of quirk or interesting premise to set it apart from anything else out there.
Also fight not great in terms of fight choreography. Special effects look good.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think a lot of the dialog and "him" references were just pilot-itis. Had the same feeling with Gotham. Gotham had so many "on the nose" references and hitting the viewer over the head as to who each character would eventually become that it was quite annoying. However, when was the last time we saw Selina strike a cat pose or be called "Cat" or even have a reference to cats? They toned it down as it went along because for whatever reason, the network thinks all TV watchers are morons and can't figure shit out. I wouldn't be surprised to see the "she's a girl" and "cousin/he/him" stuff almost disappear after a few more episodes.

I really like Melissa as Kara, she has this approachable-ness and kindness to her. Jim.. sorry, James, is a nice new take on the character. I like the actor playing him and the evolution of geeky photographer to more adult and guiding light for Kara is a good transition. He's seem some shit probably in the 12 years he's hung around with Superman. Also like the fact the best friend and Olsen know right off the bat. The Flash and Arrow style of not keeping the identity secret (for the most part) is something we need more of in the superhero genre.

Hey they got to say Superman once... And only once... Having him exist basically makes it a requirement that he eventually shows up, I doubt they had time finding someone to play the part outside of the obscured way they went about it. I imagine if the show is a success they're going to have to have him show up but I do think they should've went either the he doesn't exist though that wouldn't feel right or he died route.

Slayven

Is there anything on the level of Reverse Flash

1854465-sg_buzz3.jpg

Xemnas89

I thought it was pretty good. Pretty easy to tell is from the same crew as the Arrowverse shows. Part of me wishes it was put into that universe but there are ways for that to happen still. Still I enjoyed it myself and now I just need more Berlanti DC television.

Kevinroc

The real world sell on Supergirl has always been "Superman's cousin." (Except when she was shape-shifting protoplasm from another dimension that was also an Earth-born angel or something.) I don't think they could have shied away from that.

The real world sell on Supergirl has always been "Superman's cousin." (Except when she was shape-shifting protoplasm from another dimension that was also an Earth-born angel or something.) I don't think they could have shied away from that.
Isn't that kind of a terrible sale. Like give her something on her own to differentiate her from superman. I mean batgirl and robin(night wing) are similar to batman but they have their own personality and things unique to them. Supergirl is just that superman but girl.

Slayven

Isn't that kind of a terrible sale. Like give her something on her own to differentiate her from superman. I mean batgirl and robin(night wing) are similar to batman but they have their own personality and things unique to them. Supergirl is just that superman but girl.

They always placed her in "I am new to the planet role" and Superman's trainee.

I loved at the beginning of the New Kryptoin arc Superman in a teaching moment told Kara to tell a little boy he was going to die from cancer, after she told the little boy she would find a way to heal him.

I'm basing it on
the Superman shots having the same suit from MoS. It's possible it's an entirely different Superman who just happens to have the same suit and general look though.

Smallville used the Superman Returns suit...does that mean that they're the same Superman, too?! :V

Anyway, all you can clearly see are his shirt sleeves and part of his cape, and I looked it up, and his sleeves doesn't match the Man of Steel version.

They absolutely could have. And should have.

The "real world sell" isn't a constant. It can shift.

Kevinroc

It doesn't have to be. It all depends on the execution, I think.

Kevinroc

They absolutely could have. And should have.

The "real world sell" isn't a constant. It can shift.

It can. But with a spin-off of one of the most famous super heroes on the planet (even the title of "super hero" is in reference to Superman), it is easier said than done.

It can. But with a spin-off of one of the most famous super heroes on the planet (even the title of "super hero" is in reference to Superman), it is easier said than done.

Sounds like it would have been easier for the show to actually do it than to toe the expected line, though.

I don't want the horrendous Arrow anywhere near this. Or Legends of Tomorrow, I've done school projects in a longer time and care than that show. Only Barry Allen is a fit.

Aiii

So not worth it
Really liked the pilot. Good cast, good setting. Should be a fun show once it gets its bearings and goes into a season long arc.

Xemnas89

I don't want the horrendous Arrow anywhere near this. Or Legends of Tomorrow, I've done school projects in a longer time and care than that show. Only Barry Allen is a fit.

We don't even know how Legends of Tomorrow will turn out yet and with the exception of a shaky third season Arrow is fine but to each his own I suppose.

Joni

The Flash and Arrow had a more focused pilot. This pilot had basically
four major action interventions which meant the pacing was off. On the other hand, another step up for the CGI budget and an excellent villain. Too bad he is dead.
Gonna keep watching to nobody's surprise.
Now, is there any way to introduce Becca Tobin as Powergirl?

Sober

The Flash and Arrow had a more focused pilot. This pilot had basically
four major action interventions which meant the pacing was off. On the other hand, another step up for the CGI budget and an excellent villain. Too bad he is dead.
Gonna keep watching to nobody's surprise.
Now, is there any way to introduce Becca Tobin as Powergirl?
I'd have to rewatch the Arrow pilot but I find that a little hard to believe the the Supergirl one is so unfocused.

Joni

I'd have to rewatch the Arrow pilot but I find that a little hard to believe the the Supergirl one is so unfocused.
The Arrow pilot had basically Oliver coming home, the flashback, the love triangle and the adam hunt case. Supergirl goes a lot faster with already three major character reveals. Considering the audience, considering the changed climate that is absolutely logical. Arrow came when you had no superhero shows, now you have 5+. That required a slower build.

What I dont get is what is with the glasses/nerd look. Clark Kent did that because he needed a way to disguise himself as Superman. Kara on the other hand was not planning to be Supergirl, so she chose to wear fake glasses...just because.

Aiii

So not worth it
What I dont get is what is with the glasses/nerd look. Clark Kent did that because he needed a way to disguise himself as Superman. Kara on the other hand was not planning to be Supergirl, so she chose to wear fake glasses...just because.

She's a hipster.

There we go.

At least her fake glasses have actual glass in them...
Where are your glasses Zooey? Why are you just wearing the frame, Zooey? WHY? WHYYYYY?!

The Cowboy

Where are your glasses Zooey? Why are you just wearing the frame, Zooey? WHY? WHYYYYY?!
Zooey can do what she likes, she wants glasses with just the frames or glasses with just the lenses then that's just fine.

For Kara i think the Hipster/Fashion answer is good/fitting, i know a lot of people who wear glasses just for the look nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom