• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

General impressions before I get to more specific things later on:

I thought it delivered on the promise of the trailer, thankfully minus the cheesy pop music. Very Flash-esque in its structure and a little crammed as many pilots are, but the heroic moments truly shine, in part thanks to an incredible soundtrack and great CG, especially the plane sequence (although some later flying CG is pretty shonky and has that "obvious blue screen" feel about it - but this may be improved for the premiere). Benoist is really, really likeable - ambitious, bubbly, assertive in some situations but a total dork in others, thrilled at the idea of using her superpowers, but also doubtful at the possibility of her future as Supergirl. Arrow and Flash fans will find themselves right at home with this addition to the DCTV universe (but still begging for crossovers).

Skux

Seriously.leak in quality like that, no watermarks or anything. CBS leaked it, 99% sure of it :)

Seeing how The Flash and Constantine had the same thing happen I wouldn't be suprised if DCTV were pulling the strings. It worked out great for The Flash, it was the CW's highest rated premiere of all time. And it's a great way to build hype and word of mouth during the offseason and make it stand out from the dozens of other premieres.

Penguin

General impressions...

So the bad from the #Supergirl pilot
The whole my cousin/him/Superman alluding to will get old if they don't drop it/tone it down.
Some of the dialog was a bit too on the nose about her being a female superhero
But I guess it's too be expected for a first episode

"Oh she's a girl superhero, someone my daughter can look up to!"

"She's not strong enough
Because she's a girl?"

Aside from that, I really enjoyed it.
It has a lot of stuff to cram into 45 mins, and it does a pretty solid job with it.
Seems like going with a format similar to #TheFlash which makes sense since #DCTV most successful shows in relative terms.
Excited to see more

General impressions...

So the bad from the #Supergirl pilot
The whole my cousin/him/Superman alluding to will get old if they don't drop it/tone it down.
Some of the dialog was a bit too on the nose about her being a female superhero
But I guess it's too be expected for a first episode

"Oh she's a girl superhero, someone my daughter can look up to!"

"She's not strong enough
Because she's a girl?"

Aside from that, I really enjoyed it.
It has a lot of stuff to cram into 45 mins, and it does a pretty solid job with it.
Seems like going with a format similar to #TheFlash which makes sense since #DCTV most successful shows in relative terms.
Excited to see more

I agree 100% with this.

ivysaur12

Banned
Thank god other people have seen it, so I can ask this stupid question I've been wondering for the past two weeks. This is an actual, big spoiler:

Who was the bad guy that Benanti played? From what I can tell, Kara's mother didn't have a sister in the comics?

But yeah, otherwise, it's good, right? Very piloty, and it seemed like
there was a scene dropped near the end with the sister and her boss? Her motivations didn't necessarily track scene to scene. Otherwise, I really enjoyed it, save for the HIM, THE BIG GUY, THE MAN IN THE BLUE stuff

Penguin

Thank god other people have seen it, so I can ask this stupid question I've been wondering for the past two weeks. This is an actual, big spoiler:

Who was the bad guy that Benanti played? From what I can tell, Kara's mother didn't have a sister in the comics?

But yeah, otherwise, it's good, right? Very piloty, and it seemed like
there was a scene dropped near the end with the sister and her boss? Her motivations didn't necessarily track scene to scene. Otherwise, I really enjoyed it, save for the HIM, THE BIG GUY, THE MAN IN THE BLUE stuff

I could be wrong

but it just seems like an evil General Zod-esque character to give Kara something to fight against.

But don't read enough Supergirl comics to know for sure.

Will watch when I get home, but... the thing that sounded like the show's worst idea turns out to be the worst aspect of the show? What a shocker!

Effect

Interesting. The same thing happen with The Flash and now I'm really thinking that was done on purpose. Always wondered and had doubts about that. It's happen twice now to shows from the same creative team and WB.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I wonder if the show would kill Superman off screen. It'd make Supergirl that much more important.

It'd be pretty gutsy, but I have a feeling WB wouldn't allow it.

I will never understand why they went this route. It's more work to actually acknowledge he exists and make excuses for why he doesn't come around than it is to just... not have him exist at all.

So fucking annoying.

anaron

*Really* liked it.

the good:

Melissa is charming as hell and I'm already in love with her Kara. The music lends such a classical superhero vibe that makes for an incredibly fun and nostalgic sweeping adventure. all of the characters and cast show a ton of promise and it's probably already the strongest set of actors yet for a DCTV show

- Cat Grant is already my bitchy fave

- Kara and Alex's relationship is immediately interesting and affecting.

- the plane sequence is stunning

the bad:

the intro voice over is too long and exposition-ey (yay pilots) but it feels a bit unfinished so I'm not too worried

as I feared, Superman existing is such a weird and dumb decision unless he's going to show up on occasion. you're constantly asking yourself why isn't he doing this and that's going to get old immediately

- some bad on the nose pilot-ey dialogue, (much like Flash and Arrow) and the occasional "she's a girl!" stuff (even though it makes sense)

- not sure about evil twin mom-aunt Zod.

overall: excuse the pun, mostly loved it and super excited to see where it goes. the potential here is crazy

gazele

Banned
I will never understand why they went this route. It's more work to actually acknowledge he exists and make excuses for why he doesn't come around than it is to just... not have him exist at all.

So fucking annoying.

Or just have it so he disappeared a couple years ago maybe out in space somewhere

So fucking annoying.

I would hope that Berlanti et al. were smarter than this, and that CBS insisted on going this route over their objections. Kind of like how Bruce Wayne wasn't part of the original synopsis for Gotham.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Meh, it was alright. The constant mention of Superman is annoying already and it was only a 45 minute episode.

I'll likely watch it when theres nothing else on, but I maintain that I'm not the target audience.

It wasn't terrible.

jrush64

Banned
So I just watched it. Twas pretty good. Flash had a better pilot though, but this wasn't too bad at all.

the whole is it because she's a girl was pretty on the nose.
I can't wait to watch more episodes and see how she does with her powers.

ivysaur12

Banned

So fucking annoying.

I actually think it adds an underdog aspect to her character, but it was aggressively overplayed in the pilot. We'll see what happens going forward.

FAR FAR better than I had hoped. Let's get those Arrowverse mentions at least!

And best of all Superman has a real presence in her life without actual appearances. WOOHOOO!

Sober

I actually think it adds an underdog aspect to her character, but it was aggressively overplayed in the pilot. We'll see what happens going forward.
Kara fighting an alien when all of a sudden the John Williams theme picks up and then the scene cuts and the fight is over. Newspaper spins in, showing us headline, "Superman saves the day, Supergirl watches".

ryan299

I wasn't a fan.
Thought the dialogue was incredibly cheesy. The fight scenes were pretty bad an the CGI seemed to get worse as the hour went by.

I dunno. To me, one of the stronger appeals of the show is that Kara isn't even good at being a GIRL, much less being Supergirl. The underdog aspect is already built in there. Adding a "I'll never live up to my cousin" angle seems slightly superfluous.

Plus, there's the cultural understanding of Superman coming into play - people generally still consider Superman to be a really good guy. At some point the idea of how weird/wrong it is that Superman never stops by to check in on his cousin and have some words of advice (or an invite to catch a movie and have a burger or whatever) starts to work on people.

So not only is he providing a source of inspiration that isn't even really needed, but his character is being diminished by his acting like a dick.

ivysaur12

Banned
I dunno. To me, one of the stronger appeals of the show is that Kara isn't even good at being a GIRL, much less being Supergirl. The underdog aspect is already built in there. Adding a "I'll never live up to my cousin" angle plays as slightly superfluous.

Plus, there's the cultural understanding of Superman coming into play - people generally still consider Superman to be a really good guy. At some point the idea of Superman never stopping by to check in on his cousin and have some words of advice (or an invite to catch a movie and have a burger or whatever) starts to work on people.

So not only is he providing a source of inspiration that isn't even really needed, but his character is being diminished by his acting like a dick.

They sort of buy that back at the end of the pilot. And going forward, isn't the answer just that Superman has his own issues to deal with, irrespective of Kara? I also wouldn't be surprised if there's some way, without showing him, we see them interact ala the end of the pilot.

I disagree at the first part, though. I also like the angle that she had this mission coming to Earth, and now she doesn't have it. And this is her new mission.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I wasn't a fan.
Thought the dialogue was incredibly cheesy. The fight scenes were pretty bad an the CGI seemed to get worse as the hour went by.

Yeah the dialogue was very cheesy, I'd agree about your two other points. CGI was alright, nothing special but the fight scenes were awful.

anaron

I do think the show would face another set of problems had Supes not existed either though which would be the onslaught of people saying they had to delete him just to make Supergirl important

And going forward, isn't the answer just that Superman has his own issues to deal with, irrespective of Kara?

That only carries so far, though. She's literally all he's got left of his old homeworld. Superman always has his own issues to deal with, but his sense of family/alienation is always one of his bigger issues. So again, his presence just introduces a question that the show can't ever actually answer unless he becomes a recurring guest star for one or two episodes a season. Otherwise it's going to increasingly seem like a contrived dodge as the show continues.

I do think the show would face another set of problems had Supes not existed either though which would be the onslaught of people saying they had to delete him just to make Supergirl important

That criticism could (and should) evaporate if the production manages to tell convincing, interesting, entertaining stories about the character.

Those problems (outside criticism based on a somewhat faulty premise) are lesser than the problems they actually signed on for (in-story inconsistencies in characterization/motivation).

But the answer to both those problems is just really good storytelling in either case. It just seems to me there's more potential in simply starting 100% clean-slate, no Superman, than the alternative. The show can overcome it, but it just seems like an obstacle that isn't needed, and it apparently trips the show up out the gate.

ReiGun

So fucking annoying.

It's going to be the Achilles heel of the show if WB never eases up and lets them just show Superman. They can do the alluding thing for maybe the first season, but the show can't go on constantly referencing him but never showing him on screen.
Plus, it makes no sense for him not to visit, since Kara is his only living relative. The scene at the end with Kara receiving the cape, for example, would have played so much better if it was Supes himself handing it off instead of middle man Jimmy Olsen.

They really should have saved themselves a headache and just had him not exist at all.

anaron

It's going to be the Achilles heel of the show if WB never eases up and lets them just show Superman. They can do the alluding thing for maybe the first season, but the show can't go on constantly referencing him but never showing him on screen.
Plus, it makes no sense for him not to visit, since Kara is his only living relative. The scene at the end with Kara receiving the cape, for example, would have played so much better if it was Supes himself handing it off instead of middle man Jimmy Olsen.

They really should have saved themselves a headache and just had him not exist at all.
yeah, it's gonna grate.

I'm still mad we didn't get it

And best of all Superman has a real presence in her life without actual appearances. WOOHOOO!
I've missed you brah.

I got goosebumps. I was filled with so much joy, vivacious, adorableness, wonder and hope after watching that.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Yup, much better than I anticipated. Had a big grin on my face from the beginning. Will be awesome to watch with my kids.

Is there anything on the level of Reverse Flash

Talk about setting the bar so high that it can never realistically be reached.

What's next? Expecting every villain in every drama to be as good as Batiatus from Spartacus?

Anyway, it was really good. I didn't like how in your face the whole 'she's a girl' aspect was. Didn't feel necessary and I hope that's not a recurring theme throughout the show. Also didn't like the Superman mentions, seems pointless to have MoS Superman even referenced when that universe doesn't have traditional things like kryptonite.

I chuckled at how they were talking so much about wanting to hide the presence of aliens. Felt so ridiculously stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom