• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So two questions

1. Is this in the same universe with Flash and Arrow?

2. Are they really going to dance around Superman the whole time? Is he still active? Why would he send other people to talk to his cousin about this stuff instead of talking to her himself? Are they really going to do a whole Supergirl show and expect that people are going to be okay with Supes never ever showing up to say hi?

I mean, in theory they could have just made it so that Superman never existed in this universe, and she was the first Kryptonian hero. Right?

1. People are using a super old quote to confirm that it is but I'd be wary of that. Iirc when Berlanti said that there were no plans for Superman to exist in the show at all. I'm not convinced yet though.

2. Apparently? It's definitely weird.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
thats-good.gif

I'm in

Yep. I'm in.

"I wasn't always on the Island, Diggle..."

"Yeah, we fucking know that, Oliver."

"For a time, I was in Metropolis... I met this girl there..."

"Let me guess, you fucked her. You a goddamn dirty dog, Oliver, keep it in your pants."

The flashbacks take place between seasons one and two but Oliver still has the terrible mullet wig and hat.

Tabby

So two questions

2. Are they really going to dance around Superman the whole time? Is he still active? Why would he send other people to talk to his cousin about this stuff instead of talking to her himself? Are they really going to do a whole Supergirl show and expect that people are going to be okay with Supes never ever showing up to say hi?

I mean, in theory they could have just made it so that Superman never existed in this universe, and she was the first Kryptonian hero. Right?

1. Creators say yes, CBS president says maybe.

2. Yes? His reason for sending people to talk about her is that he wanted her to become a Supergirl on her own like he did. I doubt they'd go the entire show without every showing Superman though but then they'd have to design a suit for him as well and meh.

Xamdou

So two questions

1. Yes same universe as Flash and Arrow: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/06/supergirl

2. Superman only exist in the Movieverse, if you remember Smallville Clark could not even don the cape or fly or rock the suit.

Why is Jimmy... sorry James Olsen a forty something guy. Isn't he supposed to be Peter Parker's age?
What's the timeline? Is Kara older than Clark? They show her as a little girl but Clark is a baby?
Kara is older than Clark pre space travel. Clark is older since he arrived on Earth earlier.

Pilgrimzero

They've referenced Harley, Bruce and Green Lantern.
Referencing Superman I have no problems with.

To be fair, they may mention a name "The Waynes" or a situation "Feris Air lost a pilot" but those don't mean Bats and GL are running around.

It's really weird that Superman exists in the Arrowverse yet has never felt the need to go to talk to Flash or Flash go seek him out.

Also be weird if/when they form a JLA and don't offer Supes a position.

I mean, it's just plain odd that Superman would be so" hands off" with the rest of the superheros. He's never seemed one to be a solo guy.

Really it would have been better to just have that he (and Bats) don't exist in the Arrowverse.

ReiGun

They've referenced Harley, Bruce and Green Lantern.
Referencing Superman I have no problems with.

Pretty much. All those characters exist, but we'll likely never see them on these shows.

Well, I think we'll get Hal. Because build a universe using Oliver Queen and Barry Allen and not have them hang out with their bro Hal Jordan.

Why is Jimmy... sorry James Olsen a forty something guy? Isn't he supposed to be Peter Parker's age?
What's the timeline? Is Kara older than Clark? They show her as a little girl but Clark is a baby?

Kara is always older than clark I'm pretty sure. She is just frozen in space while Kal El grows up.

He's pretty much Jimmy in name only. He's described as an alpha male, I think 40 is highballing it.

Kara is older than Clark pre space travel. Clark is older since he arrived on Earth earlier.

Which makes sense if you know physics so fine. Thanks!

Kara is always older than clark I'm pretty sure. She is just frozen in space while Kal El grows up.

He's pretty much Jimmy in name only. He's described as an alpha male, I think 40 is highballing it.

Okay now that is sad. Jimmy is supposed to be this dorky little kid to looks up to the boy scout, not competition for him

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
1. Yes same universe as Flash and Arrow: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/06/supergirl

2. Superman only exist in the Movieverse, if you remember Smallville Clark could not even don the cape or fly or rock the suit.

Sure, but like, clearly Superman exists in this show. No-one has made reference to that on Flash or anything?

I mean I get why, they didn't know they were making this back then, but it does leave what feels like some holes

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This looks bad. The first half of the trailer was cringe worthy. That voice over was terrible.

Razmos

Looks really good, Melissa Benoist looks fantastic as Supergirl, and the tone of the show seems pretty good for me.

That was a policy the producers set. WB never said no. Plus, Welling refused to wear the suit which is why all the shots of him in the suit in the finale were either full CG or from the neck up.

What a total douche. But I guess he had no respect for the legacy and culture importance of the character

Malvingt2

Sure, but like, clearly Superman exists in this show. No-one has made reference to that on Flash or anything?

I mean I get why, they didn't know they were making this back then, but it does leave what feels like some holes

Like I said before. Look what is going on in Central City? Meta Humans are a new thing that people are now getting aware off. They are getting use to The Flash going around even Oliver had a hard time to believe of what it going on at first. Superman can exist with this kind of mindset. A hero saving people with a red cape. Even in this trailer we "see" a picture of him in a bad angle. "Super Girl" it is embracing the highlight it seems. Now they can place Superman anywhere they want with the timeline. Arrow came first than The Flash ...so when did Superman came about? after? same time?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay, but that doesn't make sense for the show, whether or not WB wants to be dumb about it.

Nope.

To be fair, it does seem like there are about to be some timeline related shenanigans in the Flash, so there could be changes.

Maximo

It totally did. It felt cliched in that sense. Wish there was more of "Birth of Epic Hero" vibe infused there.

That last song choice really didn't help. They should have gotten Blake Neely to whip up a wicked character liet motif and then make it bombastic.

Yeah gonna echo similar thoughts it's obvious the type of demographic their shooting for, just wish it wasn't so lazily pushed.

Xamdou

That was a policy the producers set. WB never said no. Plus, Welling refused to wear the suit which is why all the shots of him in the suit in the finale were either full CG or from the neck up.

I see, I would rather have this as an origin's story of how she became Supergirl rather than being influenced directly by Superman. But even then it will be a tall order seeing but it will interesting to see.

So, looking at the monitor on that extra-human whatchamacallit center - is that Parasite or Mongul that they're showing on the screen.

Big mean lookin purple dude.

edit: oh shit,
Thanos
is in this.

Gotchaye

Looks neat. I really liked the sort of do-it-yourself superhero setup that was shown early on, where she's Supergirling without a billion dollar support system. I hope the alien defense force doesn't become the equivalent of Flash's Star Labs.

I think I'd also have preferred if Superman didn't exist in the show's universe, but presumably it won't make much of a difference either way.

Zakalwe

Banned
Looks terrible.

Far too cheesy, the main actress doesn't fit at all. Not really sure what tone they're trying for, but it just doesn't feel like it suits a superhero show.

Looks neat. I really liked the sort of do-it-yourself superhero setup that was shown early on, where she's Supergirling without a billion dollar support system. I hope the alien defense force doesn't become the equivalent of Flash's Star Labs.

I think I'd also have preferred if Superman didn't exist in the show's universe, but presumably it won't make much of a difference either way.

Ideally they should always be a thorn in Supergirl's side. They should be the type to nuke a city if Doomsday is in town and she has to fight a battle on two fronts

Busty

Banned
Tremendous. I cannot wait to hate on a Supergirl show made by CBS.

*watches video*

Okay, I'm in.

That female lead seems not only adorable but really charming and..., yeah, I liked that extended trailer more than I was expecting to.

I'm not sure how long that 'my cousin' bit is going to work given that, presumably, CBS will never actually be allowed to show Superman but, for now, I'm in.

And I did not expect that, I have to admit.

dramatis

I don't want to sound like a MRA guy but I think there was too much of a "YOU GO GIRL!!" kind of tone, like they really want to push the fact that Kara is female and how being female is super important and super awesome

It's most likely a case of Bad Trailer but Good Show
This is sort of amusing. Do guys complain there is too much "You go man!" kind of tone in the male-led show trailers?

zelas

Ehhhhh, ignoring the action scenes it doesnt look bad. It just looks like something generic that would air on CBS. I've got too many quality shows in my backlog to spend time watching something so safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom