• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwik

Banned
I was really looking forward to see James play a mentor role to Kara after he spent so much time with Superman but instead he just wants to fuck her because he couldn't fuck Superman.

Joni

I was really looking forward to see James play a mentor role to Kara after he spent so much time with Superman but instead he just wants to fuck her because he couldn't fuck Superman.
Maybe the show needs to brutally kill him. I at least was hoping kelly would survive.
It would be a way to get a rift between her and her cousin if they blame each other.

Sober

I'd like to see more shows adopt Gotham's format. Mini-arcs are fantastic. You always feel like you've got character and plot development, even if the myth arcs aren't progressing (though frequently they are). Much more satisfying than either the episodic/serialized hybrid you've got on the Berlanti shows or even the wholly serialized format of the Marvel Netflix stuff. They gain total control over the pacing.
I think episodic with a serial arc still works fine. But I don't know if it works well for comic book adaptations. Or for fans of comic books. It also doesn't help that Gotham is a show with a large ensemble cast; it's doable but again I think it comes back to the fact that the show is a comic book show and there's a lot of baggage tied to that.

In a smaller show with a smaller main cast it works because the episodes are about moving the plot and the characters forward an episode at a time. I think especially in Gotham's case - or at least the popular general sentiment - is that the villains are infinitely more interesting than the heroes. Which is not wrong in any sense. I think Gotham S2 just works because they spend more time on their villains. I only watched the first half and Mr. Freeze (a little behind) but they generally spend 2, maybe 3 episodes on a villain or group of villains. Which is a good amount of time spent, because you get the build up but you don't lose anything from the stories becoming one-sided towards Gordon and co. investigating and talking over one another at crime scenes/back at the office.

Let's be honest, Gotham is still a cop show where Gordon shows up to work and villains have done a thing and it's up to him to stop them by investigating and getting ahead of them. It's just that on Gotham we also spend time with the villains and their POV and giving them an extra episode or two to breathe.

I do think the Berlanti comic book shows would help to do it. I do think sometimes they blow through their rogues gallery a bit too fast. And I don't read comic books so I don't have that baggage associated with X Y or Z villain showing up.

I think it's fine for a first season where you have to establish your good guys, but in a comic book show we all mostly know the good guys won't go bad (permanently) so there isn't much worth to spend too much time playing the same emotional beats with your heroes - at least in my opinion. At that point - at least in Gotham's case, or comic shows in their later seasons - you might as well make your villains shine.

Sober

Stop doing fake fight scenes

Supergirl and her sister were about to fight and its ended they did this with the Christmas break also that's annoying
Actually my biggest pet peeves is cutting an act right as the action starts or in the middle of a confrontation. That's now how act breaks work.

I'd like to see more shows adopt Gotham's format. Mini-arcs are fantastic. You always feel like you've got character and plot development, even if the myth arcs aren't progressing (though frequently they are). Much more satisfying than either the episodic/serialized hybrid you've got on the Berlanti shows or even the wholly serialized format of the Marvel Netflix stuff. They gain total control over the pacing.

This,
Arrow had help when the flashbacks were so awesome and carried the show by themselves.
They really don't care anymore.

Joni

I remember him being kinda alright in Prison Break but he comes across as a terrible actor here. Everything that comes out of his mouth makes me cringe.

He was in those annoying seasons where they had no idea what to do. He wasn't bad but he didn't really leave an impression.

In discussing the episode with a friend I realized something. It isn't common knowledge that Astra is Supergirl's aunt. So it makes sense why Lord's theory on why Supergirl wasn't affected by Myriad didn't take that into account. He would have no way of guessing that a family whitelist exists. And Supergirl herself can't suggest it without blowing the secret (which, while moot since Astra is dead, adds fuel to the "can't trust the alien" fire).

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't see anyone dying in the finale. I don't really think it's been earned for any of the characters. There's lots more to do with everyone, Astra was the big death I think. Tommy you could see coming a mile away. Eddie I thought they'd do more with because he wasn't developed, but he was obviously the most extraneous character.

I was hoping the real reason Max wasn't affected was because of telepathy but I guess they're either saving that storyline for later or don't intend to ever use it

He is the hot science nerd. He is destined to become the lead, like Felicity and Cisco. James will die.

He's the third wheel of the central love triangle that they'll distance themselves from as the series goes on who happens to be a blood relative of a supervillain.

He's destined for noble self sacrifice in the season 1 finale, ala Tommy and Eddie.

Joni

He's the third wheel of the central love triangle that they'll distance themselves from as the series goes on who happens to be a blood relative of a supervillain.

He's destined for noble self sacrifice in the season 1 finale, ala Tommy and Eddie.

Tommy and Eddie = related to the main villain.
Winn = son of villain of the week. Like Felicity.

Lol, Maxwell Lord.

Indigo still looks awful.

Maxima was so hammy.

And oh Lord, how they dealt with Superman. So dumb, hahaha.

Lol, Non's preachy speech on reality TV stars and politicians.

Sober

Should've done an inverse of Mystique for Indigo. Although it'd probably be too funny if she was all orange and had blue hair.

ZeroX03

Banned
I see we're all pumped with excitement and discussion for the finale.

I bet Kara stops Non's plan but with unforeseen consequences

Effect

Lol, Kelly go splat. I do kinda like that this is Non's idea of saving the world and is totally believing in his own bullshit.

The scene really makes me think James' actor would do better playing a villain role. I like the character overall but he came off a lot more interesting there when Non was speaking through him.

KonradLaw

Why does she have superpowers? The Krypton should make Kara weaker, not Alex stronger. And Max, that is impossible, you can't think more highly of you if you are that arrogant already

I think that thing she';s wearing is exosuit.

ZeroX03

Banned
If the universes do merge, we have no excuse for a Justice Society and the DC TV Trinity. And I guess Rip Hunter standing sheepishly in the background of the poster.

Joni

They should end all current seasons on a 'oh fuck' note. In order of end date:
- Supergirl: Skies turn red
- Legends of Tomorrow: Someone from the future comes in to warn them about a huge disaster coming.
- Arrow: Huge earthquakes or something at the end of the episodes.
- The Flash: Earth-2 and Earth-3 appear in the background of the sky and they seem to be colliding.
Season ends.

ZeroX03

Banned
They should end all current seasons on a 'oh fuck' note. In order of end date:
- Supergirl: Skies turn red
- Legends of Tomorrow: Someone from the future comes in to warn them about a huge disaster coming.
- Arrow: Huge earthquakes or something at the end of the episodes.
- The Flash: Earth-2 and Earth-3 appear in the background of the sky and they seem to be colliding.
Season ends.

M7Mih9S.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom