• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supernatural Season 11 |OT| No, seriously, it got awesome again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
People actually liked this episode? I thought it was easily the worst of the season so far. Just a totally pointless uninspired slog.

I guess if you didn't care for the throwbacks and whatnot you might not like it.

But then maybe you hate fun!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ive been a downer on supernatural for a minute, but outside of that random section with the girls, it was one of my favorite post season 5 episodes.

Annnnd I have a new favorite episode of Supernatural. Holy shit.

The editing alone was incredible, the way it was filmed, the beautiful shots, the music...Ugh. I'm going to have to watch again.

And you guys really think 'John' was God?

Nope. I am freaking out over it, but that was Lucy for fucking sure. "I was never able to fool you."

And then later "So we need the opposite of darkness?" Which would be I dunno, the Lightbringer? In combo with the visions of the Cage, it can't be anyone else.

Lucy dropping truth bombs and Dean knows God wouldn't be sending visions.
Or, they are coopting more from The Adversary Cycle by F. Paul Wilson that I posted about in the season 10 thread. In that, the Otherness (Darkness) was trying to take over our realm. But The Ally, another cosmic force, was wanting control over here as well. While the Ally wasn't good per se, it showed benign indifference. It just didn't want the Adversary controlling all the pieces on the chessboard, so it had to call upon certain people to stop the Otherness from completely overtaking our realm.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I was joking about the Chuck thing. Lucifer showing up as young John did cross my mind though. Please be true.

Kevin

Fantastic episode. Season has been off to a wonderful start so far and next week's episode looks like it may continue the trend.

DrAg0nBoY

Great episode. The only thing that I would love more is if JDM would play John again :(.

I do hope we see him at least once this season.

I guess I'm the only one who thought the episode was just OK, and that the cinematographer lost a bet where his punishment was to film a whole episode from inside the Impala

FZZ

Banned

The editing alone was incredible, the way it was filmed, the beautiful shots, the music...Ugh. I'm going to have to watch again.

Nope. I am freaking out over it, but that was Lucy for fucking sure. "I was never able to fool you."

And then later "So we need the opposite of darkness?" Which would be I dunno, the Lightbringer? In combo with the visions of the Cage, it can't be anyone else.

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING

Lyonaz

CSdOZ2HUYAAn-5B.jpg

Dean pls.

I've always been a huge fan of classic rock so it really speaks to me here. (I'm old ;-;)
I listened to some classic rock, like Aerosmith and whatnot. This show just introduced me to a lot more which I love it for.
One of the best post-season 5 episodes for me. Not a long time fan by any means but as someone who just binge watched 10 years worth of episodes today's put a big fat grin on my face.

This season might make up for that abomination that should be cast into the void.

Honestly, I am shocked they didn't have a quick shot of the shorts.

Lol me too. I was sitting there like "are we gonna see Dean in shorts again, like that time he was a high school gym coach?"

People actually liked this episode? I thought it was easily the worst of the season so far. Just a totally pointless uninspired slog.
Why do you hate fun? What has fun dome to you?

I found most shots to be great, I just didn't like the face cams that were up in one of their faces a lot. Unno I just hate facecam shots in general. I first thought of Michael since he used John as a vessel before and thought he'd communicate through him. Maybe it's Lucifer and Michael working together? Lucifer sent the visions of torture and Michael was more composed. Perhaps it's the other way around.

True Lucifer is translated to lightbringer so Lucifer may very well be the one to do this! Freeing Lucy awwww yeah PLEASE HAVE MARK PLAY HIM!!!

Oh, I forgot how I started cackling hysterically and my husband looked at me like I was insane when "This episode of Supernatural is brought to you by Chevy" happened.

....Yeah I might be crazy.

When was this? Was it before the show, or was it a commercial? I skipped through all the commercials and started watching when they had just did "then".

Fantastic episode. Would have preferred Jeffrey Dean Morgan though.

The Castiel on the phone scene where Dean is fighting the ghoulpire is a series highlight.

Is it just me, or did anyone else find the face cams annoying/unnecessary? Especially when they were driving it around, it focusing on Deans face was kinda annoying. That was my only concern with the episode, but it wasn't a huge deal, just more of a why was it needed.

Very jarring since they don't usually go for those angles when they're in the car.

The scene with them discussing the dreams inside the car was one of my favorites in quite some time. Overall, a really solid episode. I'm glad I wasn't spoiled on the gimmick.

Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in.

I think I personally will just check out an occasional "gimmick" episode. I'm super glad that I watched this one, but I realize that the overall plot doesn't interest me anymore. One-offs like "Fan Fiction" or "Baby" are still super enjoyable though. It's actually refreshing to be able to sit back and enjoy the show once more, without getting frustrated with plot holes and general dip in quality. And if you adopt mentality like that, you get rewarded with a genuinely great episode every once in a while.

In conclusion, I think all those years of sticking with SPN have been worth it for me, just for such moments.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is it just me, or did anyone else find the face cams annoying/unnecessary? Especially when they were driving it around, it focusing on Deans face was kinda annoying. That was my only concern with the episode, but it wasn't a huge deal, just more of a why was it needed.

Because it's his car, of course.

Begaria

Just an all around fantastic episode. It's been solidified as my second favourite episode of the show, right behind the "meta" episode when Dean and Sam get ported to our reality.

Savitar

Been missing episodes like crazy since the last half of last season so got much to catch up on. Saw this episode and loved it. Had some good laughs and the episode overall sums up why people still stick with the show.

Have to echo others, this was a fantastic episode.

We need a gif of Dean using the wipers to get rid of the head. And I really liked the change up in how they filmed the episode. The close shots, using the car as a set. It was a nice change.

Really liked the new monster too, but it's odd that they'd know about the Darkness already. Although I guess that kind of news travels fast.

The running theory is that it was Lucifer.

Oh really?

Well damn, that's even better. It's about time Lucy got back into the game.

Sam got out because Death pulled him out, though. We'd need an entity on that level to be able to pull anyone else out, unless the Darkness breaks the Cage or something.

Sam got out because Death pulled him out, though. We'd need an entity on that level to be able to pull anyone else out, unless the Darkness breaks the Cage or something.

Or maybe Death not being in the picture anymore broke the cage. Apparently him being alive kept the Darkness locked up. Could be the same for the cage, but my lore is rusty so I'm not sure.

Or maybe Death not being in the picture anymore broke the cage. Apparently him being alive kept the Darkness locked up. Could be the same for the cage, but my lore is rusty so I'm not sure.
Death's ring is part of the key for the Cage, so maybe. Him being alive doesn't really have anything to do with the Darkness, though. Rowena just happened to remove the Mark of Cain at the same time Dean killed Death.

spookyfish

When I quickly saw the Story Synopsis as I was accessing the DVR, I really felt the same way.

Turns out it was a fantastic episode. Awesome character study of the Super Winchester Bros.

Lucifer reaching out from the cage is an odd thing because I thought that he could only do it at weak points on Earth (ie the entrance to the cage). But maybe his connection to Sam gives him more options.

Death's ring is part of the key for the Cage, so maybe. Him being alive doesn't really have anything to do with the Darkness, though. Rowena just happened to remove the Mark of Cain at the same time Dean killed Death.

If Death disintegrated, it's possible that the ring did as well. If we see the rings as objects whose existence keeps the cage locked, then having all the horsemen dead probably drained them of their power?

Who know @_@

Well, one thing:

Lucifer had the Mark of Cain first, he was the original locker of the Darkness. So when the Mark of Cain was removed from Dean and Darkness got released is it possible there was also some effect on Lucifer ass the original lock and mark bearer.

Have to echo others, this was a fantastic episode.

We need a gif of Dean using the wipers to get rid of the head. And I really liked the change up in how they filmed the episode. The close shots, using the car as a set. It was a nice change.

Really liked the new monster too, but it's odd that they'd know about the Darkness already. Although I guess that kind of news travels fast.

Oh really?

Well damn, that's even better. It's about time Lucy got back into the game.
I want a gif of creepy Dean being a peeping tom at Sam and his hostess lol.
Wow, that was the best episode in years!

I wonder how the monsters know about the Darkness, though.
I think they may have run into a couple of the infected beings. I'm interested in finding out too. Maybe they have a connection like they did with their Den Mother Eve. Maybe The Darkness created Eve :eek:? I doubt God created her and she doesn't seem like she was around the very beginning.
I feel like a fool for not picking up on that.

Wow. Now I'm even more excited to see what's going to happen this season.
Yeah me too. I didn't even catch that line. I guess it most likely is our dear frenemy Lucy.

Also, I loved Dean's hybrids and everyone's refusal to repeat it. Warepire lol. Forgot what the second one was, halp?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also, I loved Dean's hybrids and everyone's refusal to repeat it. Warepire lol. Forgot what the second one was, halp?

Ghoulpire?

While searching for the cardoor gif for Kagari, I found this post by a sharp eyed tumblr user.

http://sleep-silent-angel.tumblr.co...it-just-a-second-the-blue-car-in-the-far-left

Basically the destroyed first season impala is in the shot where Dean fights outside the car and Cas talks and worries on the phone.

Carception. That's awesome.

TimFL

Doesnt Richard Speight Jr. direct an episode this season too? Gabriel returning? Lucifer returning (after tonights show?)?? Supernatural finally redeemed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom