• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supernatural Season 11 |OT| No, seriously, it got awesome again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It wasn't just the writing, it was the directing, how the episode was shot which immediately had me paying attention more than usual these days.

Agreed, but the writing was very good this ep. Some of the best dialogue between the brothers that we've seen in years, some of the best Cas moments, an incredible monster scene with Dean, this ep was just all around one of the best I've seen of Supernatural in years, maybe ever.

I'd say it's my favorite episode of the whole series, 1-5 included.

Yep, me too. If I had to make a top ten episode list this would be on it, no doubts.

Rodin

Fantastic episode, really loved the funny parts and all the feels related to John, the brothers and of course Baby. Then there is fact that night moves is one of my favorite songs ever, so it was great to see Dean getting all hyped about it haha

... But you guys are all crazy, best episode ever is Changing Channels and nothing will ever come close.

Rodin

French Mistake disagrees.
French Mistake is my favorite post 1-5 episode, it's brilliant and had me on tears from start to end. But i'd put it a bit behind stuff like Bad Day At Black Rock, Mystery Spot, Yellow Fever or Tall Tales, and Changing Channels is better than all these!

You can't beat Changing Channels mishamigo!

DeathyBoy

Banned
French Mistake is my favorite post 1-5 episode, it's brilliant and had me on tears from start to end. But i'd put it a bit behind stuff like Bad Day At Black Rock, Mystery Spot, Yellow Fever or Tall Tales, and Changing Channels is better than all these!

You can't beat Changing Channels mishamigo!

Monster At The End Of The Book needs more props.

Is episode 4 a filler?

I'd say it kinda is. It didn't really add to the overall plot too much, but we did find out that even the monsters know about the darkness and some are trying to build armies to fight it. Filler isn't bad per se, it's just that it's usually done horribly, horribly wrong. However, this episode succeeded in creating an enjoyable and well liked filler episode.

I still want to find out what kind of monster Eve was. Leviathans needed to touch a person in order to change into them, just like shapeshifters. Eve was able to change into the boys' mother. So is she more powerful than them and Edgar was just jealous so he called her a whore, or what?

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'd say it kinda is. It didn't really add to the overall plot too much, but we did find out that even the monsters know about the darkness and some are trying to build armies to fight it. Filler isn't bad per se, it's just that it's usually done horribly, horribly wrong. However, this episode succeeded in creating an enjoyable and well liked filler episode.

I still want to find out what kind of monster Eve was. Leviathans needed to touch a person in order to change into them, just like shapeshifters. Eve was able to change into the boys' mother. So is she more powerful than them and Edgar was just jealous so he called her a whore, or what?

I love the ambiguity there, actually. And she was crazy fucking powerful. Telepathy/mind control of monsters, immortal, shapeshifter, makes new monsters with ease, more powerful than Angels, and it took fucking Phoenix Ash to waste her.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh my god Crowley's talking to a hamster. He's finally snapped from getting repeatedly friendzoned.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I love the ambiguity there, actually. And she was crazy fucking powerful. Telepathy/mind control of monsters, immortal, shapeshifter, makes new monsters with ease, more powerful than Angels, and it took fucking Phoenix Ash to waste her.

They got rid of her way too quick.

Oh my god Crowley's talking to a hamster. He's finally snapped from getting repeatedly friendzoned.

I wonder if the hamster will ever turn human again. She's sorta MacGuffinm being a powerful witch who we haven't seen any power from. Talking of MacGuffins..

They got rid of her way too quick.

Yeah. In a way she was a MacGuffin, this all powerful being, despite that Eve died way too fast. I think this is because well, being introduced in season 6 I guess the writers didn't know what to do with her. And Phoenix Ash killing her...

She's a literal MacGuffin of sorts. I mean, her powers are insane. She can suppress Angels powers, create monsters at will, not be sensed or found by any means, it's like a kid in a playground shouting 'Well my monster is super duper can't be found stops your monsters powers and creates more monsters and she can't be killed by anything except phoenix ash!'.

I think if they dedicated a season to her it would've been neat. Instead she's just a footnote for the season. "Oh by the way here's this impossible to beat monster except by the Deus Ex Phoenix Ash".

It's ok though I forgive it because it led to leviathans, and everyone loves those....right?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah. In a way she was a MacGuffin, this all powerful being, despite that Eve died way too fast. I think this is because well, being introduced in season 6 I guess the writers didn't know what to do with her. And Phoenix Ash killing her...

She's a literal MacGuffin of sorts. I mean, her powers are insane. She can suppress Angels powers, create monsters at will, not be sensed or found by any means, it's like a kid in a playground shouting 'Well my monster is super duper can't be found stops your monsters powers and creates more monsters and she can't be killed by anything except phoenix ash!'.

I think if they dedicated a season to her it would've been neat. Instead she's just a footnote for the season. "Oh by the way here's this impossible to beat monster except by the Deus Ex Phoenix Ash".

It's ok though I forgive it because it led to leviathans, and everyone loves those....right?

The leviathans are the fireworks factory of season 7. All this build up to how deadly these clowns were, and it all lead to nothing. The most important footnote in leviathans history
is that they killed bobby....with a damn revolver
then they played the game again with annie the next year. Id rather have soulless sam and marked dean running around trying to kill each other while also simultaneously keeping secrets from each other and killing all their friends in the process than have something like that happen again. I hope the darkness lives up to its reputation.

Haly

Lmao this last minute setup for season 11.

Man Death deserved better than this. He's been reduced to exposition device and fast food connoisseur.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just watched the latest episode with the Chevy. That was brilliant. That's how all filler episodes should be done.

While I adored "Baby", my favorite filler episode of the series still remains "Nightshifter". It's true that Season 4 was a full package, S2 isn't far behind for me.

Whatever you say about the quality of the show, you can't deny that as far as "fillers' go, a big number of them was really excellent. This is one of the things that make Supernatural so special.

Episode 4 just renewed my faith in the whole series. More of that please. Best episode in seasons.

I really don't get the praise for this episode. It was OK, but it really was nothing special. I told my wife to hurry up and catch up (she fell asleep on the third episode) so we could watch it since GAF said it was good.

I was a little embarrassed at the end when my wife was asking where the good was.

Weekend at Bobby's remains my favorite filler, this one didn't even crack the top 10.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lmao this last minute setup for season 11.

Man Death deserved better than this. He's been reduced to exposition device and fast food connoisseur.

I have a feeling that they had to throw a lot of stuff together once that season 11 renewal came in. I was reading online and originally they had plot drawn up to season 10. But considering season 10 had a lot of ideas that never lived up to their potential... yeah... going to go with my theory of them changing stuff to fit in what we have now.

My favourite episode was the season 5 finale Swan Dive iirc. I just love how everything was wrapped up, how Dean, regardless of being pulverized told Sam he wasn't going to leave him, basically the contrast of Michael. Sam making the ultimate sacrifice to save the world, Dean learning to let go of his brother the person who he literally pulled out of a fire. The only blood family he had left. Then going on an making his own family and living a normal life. Tear jerking every moment.

Funniest episode? Changing Channels, Gabriel is honestly the greatest, I love him so much.

From what I read the Phoenix was basically like a disease that Eve had and had to cast put because it would hurt her which is why it's Ash could kill her. Also the Phoenix was hated by all monsters since it hurt their mommy lol.

I don't like how they got rid quickly of her or how they did the dragons. Both were wasted potential.

Rowena is slowly getting better she is still is annoying but at least now she has some use(maybe a way to defeat The Darkness in the book?).

And finally that guy was the greatest, when he came back in the rising of the witnesses episode I was so happy to see him. Until he wanted to eat Dean, then it just got freaky.

Haly

I have a feeling that they had to throw a lot of stuff together once that season 11 renewal came in. I was reading online and originally they had plot drawn up to season 10. But considering season 10 had a lot of ideas that never lived up to their potential... yeah... going to go with my theory of them changing stuff to fit in what we have now.

I think they're headed for a reboot. They've gone deity, biblical, proto-biblical, and now pre-biblical.

Where else is there to go next??

I think they're headed for a reboot. They've gone deity, biblical, proto-biblical, and now pre-biblical.

Where else is there to go next??

ACUTAL APOCALYPSEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Preferably the one we saw when Zachariah sent Dean to the future(even though I still say that future was fabricated by the Angels because of the way Chuck was portrayed).

The leviathans are the fireworks factory of season 7. All this build up to how deadly these clowns were, and it all lead to nothing. The most important footnote in leviathans history
is that they killed bobby....with a damn revolver
then they played the game again with annie the next year. Id rather have soulless sam and marked dean running around trying to kill each other while also simultaneously keeping secrets from each other and killing all their friends in the process than have something like that happen again. I hope the darkness lives up to its reputation.
Yeah I was actually hyped for the Levithans. When they killed Cas I was super sad but was also like O SHIT! A creature that can kill an angel inside its vessel! These guys are gonna be badas- they're humonoid...the gargantuan creatures mentioned in the bible require human vessels. For the love of all that is good, their transformation better be goo-O COME ON! SHITTY CGI TEETH CRAP WTF?!
Who's Annie? Annie are okay, are you okay Annie...?
Soulless Sam and Deamon would be an awesome death battle lol. How do you kill that which has no life...?

Haly

I bet Misha's instructions for portraying SickCas was: "Imagine you're going through worst indigestion you've ever had and there's no restroom nearby."

Haly

Finished Episode 4, it really is incredible. I don't think they can do an episode like this all the time but it was definitely long overdue for this show.

Outside of a few wonky camera angles the cinematography was top notch, no one was overacting, the plot is well worn territory but still felt fresh, lots of set ups and callbacks at the same time. I'm only semi disappointed that Dean didn't think they were Starships.

God damn.

It is a pain in the ass, even with the Konami code. But pulling it off without it is a truly great feat. I only did it once in my life.

ft73Ulq.jpg

Once.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Finished Episode 4, it really is incredible. I don't think they can do an episode like this all the time but it was definitely long overdue for this show.

Outside of a few wonky camera angles the cinematography was top notch, no one was overacting, the plot is well worn territory but still felt fresh, lots of set ups and callbacks at the same time. I'm only semi disappointed that Dean didn't think they were Starships.

God damn.

...i think the starships are just gonna be lost to the wind, like the anti christ and kitsune

...i think the starships are just gonna be lost to the wind, like the anti christ and kitsune
Well thing is the Starships were just prototypes for a perfect monster, and they all died due to whatever reason. So I doubt we'd see them around especially since Eve is in purgatory again. I'm more curious about the creature Cas gutted to open purgatory, as well as her and Bobby's love history.

Haly

Also Rudy was handling a Kitsune in Season 10 I think?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lol Baby all fixed like it was nothing.

Pretty good episode this week. Felt similar to a lot of the older ghost hunting ones except this one ended up tying more in to the main plot, which I did like. More mysteries about the Darkness and her fixation with Dean...
Next week should be fun with the return of
Metatron
and
Crowley getting schooled, at least from the preview!

It feels weird that after 5 years this show has moved up on my priority list of things to watch again each week. This season feels a lot more on point. Hope it keeps it up.

For the past number of seasons, the writers have had to come with reasons to separate Cas from the boys because he's too OP. Him being obsessed with TV shows is the most convincing reason yet.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This season has been on point so far for sure.

Yes, it sure has.

This ep was another good one, but interesting as well. It started out like a
good old suspenseful ghost hunt episode, then turned a corner when they debunked it all, and then it tied back into season 6 of all things and actually made use of themes from those eps, and THEN it tied it all into the main storyline for this season
. On top of it all it was written well character wise too. It was a deceptively good episode when you really examine its details.

Next week's looks even better too.

This season has been really good so far. The preview for this episode made it seem like filler, but its cool that it tied into the main plot.

Haly

I hope Cass calls the next woman he meets "shorty".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom