• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

RT owners, my Lumia 2520 tablet will play every video file from my memory card besides MPG files. Any suggestions? Will Plex play those files?

Pooya

join-us-560.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/5/5685186/microsoft-will-hold-a-small-surface-event-on-may-20th

May 20.

all the rumors say it's ARM, so eh, 4:3 is cool though. If it has wacom and cheaper than surface 2 it could be pretty good still for notes.

Got my Pro 2 today thanks to that education discount (although I'm not longer a student, they don't verify). Loving the device, performance on the SSD is fantastic.

Pooya

Might work with the jailbreaker?

jail breaking only allows you to run desktop software compiled for ARM. If Shadowrun Returns was opensource (I don't think it is right?) you could compile it and it would work as long as there are not many dependencies involved in the software. So nope, unless there is a x86 emulator for ARM Windows or something like that, I don't believe there is, even there is performance won't be any good. (edit: a look at xda, actually there is an emulator but it's not good for anything)

Jailbreaking can let you run software like notepad++ and more similar opensource software on Surface RT/2 after they are recompiled. Nothing more. If someone someday manages to get android on it too it could work.

you need a x86 pc, something with Atom or Core i5, the game actually supports touchscreens too.

What do you guys set the text percentage at? The default (150%) has some web pages showing a little larger tan I feel is necessary, but 125% feels a little small.

What is a smart cover?

Automatically puts it to sleep/locks when closed. Turns screen on when you open it. Makes it like a laptop acts when closing/opening the lid.

Also, does anyone have their cover not fully charge? I'm using a surface pro 1 and it says 71% available (Plugged in but not charging)... Is this normal? Main battery says fully charged.

Edit: Nvm, it's charging again now. Must have just gotten to the odd point it switches between charging each battery.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Automatically puts it to sleep/locks when closed. Turns screen on when you open it. Makes it like a laptop acts when closing/opening the lid.

Also, does anyone have their cover not fully charge? I'm using a surface pro 1 and it says 71% available (Plugged in but not charging)... Is this normal? Main battery says fully charged.

Edit: Nvm, it's charging again now. Must have just gotten to the odd point it switches between charging each battery.

Think it charges the power cover first.

Think it charges the power cover first.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/power-cover

Which battery gets charged first?

Once Surface is 80% charged, it starts charging the Power Cover. Then, when Power Cover is 80% charged, Surface finishes charging. When Surface is fully charged, Power Cover finishes charging. Power Cover will charge as long as Surface is turned on (sleep is fine) and connected to a power source, and Power Cover is connected to Surface.

Is there a known problem with the keyboards? It constantly randomly going haywire and forcing me to reboot is driving me insane. This couldn't be any shittier.

Pooya

so that's gonna be their core i7 model then. No interest in anything bigger here, opposite of what I want...

Is there a known problem with the keyboards? It constantly randomly going haywire and forcing me to reboot is driving me insane. This couldn't be any shittier.

did you install the firmware update for it?

Sai

Bigger? Yikes... Wouldn't really be a tablet anymore, right?

Ultrabook, maybe?

And what about the smaller one? Is that confirmed to be ARM? Or is there another model with x86?

so that's gonna be their core i7 model then. No interest in anything bigger here, opposite of what I want...

did you install the firmware update for it?

Is this different than just doing the windows update? I made sure to make windows was fully up to date.

Edit: And if I go to device manager and tell it to update the driver it says it is fully up to date.

Pooya

no, it's same.

I was reading a while back that problems like that were common with first touch covers but nothing on others. Might want to make the call.

Abandond

Decided to go to my local Micro Center to try out the Surface Pro 2 and the Thinkpad Yoga as I wanted to see just how much the digitizer mattered.

OneNote wasn't on either of them as apparently Microsoft never gave Micro Center login credentials.

Neither had the pen for I guess obvious reasons.

The sales guy told me he's been using his Surface Pro 2 for a year and a half and really feels like the digitizer matters. So basically, I'm back to square one. I'll just check out the Microsoft store tomorrow as they're closed today. (silly blue laws!)

In the mean time, how much do you guys feel like the digitizer in the Surface Pro 2 matters? This will mostly be for work and school and for reference, I'm an accounting major.

Either way, I'll be waiting for the new announcement and see what it is.

NeOak

Decided to go to my local Micro Center to try out the Surface Pro 2 and the Thinkpad Yoga as I wanted to see just how much the digitizer mattered.

OneNote wasn't on either of them as apparently Microsoft never gave Micro Center login credentials.

The sales guy told me he's been using his Surface Pro 2 for a year and a half and really feels like the digitizer matters. So basically, I'm back to square one. I'll just check out the Microsoft store tomorrow as they're closed today. (silly blue laws!)

In the mean time, how much do you guys feel like the digitizer in the Surface Pro 2 matters? This will mostly be for work and school and for reference, I'm an accounting major.

One cannot be told what the digitizer feels like. You have to see it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

I know someone who did all of their Becker study on a Pro. If you're really just using it for note-taking and school, and if you'll always be by an outlet, just grab the Pro 1 for however amazingly cheap it is now.

Pooya

If you want a tablet for school you definitely want one with a wacom one (or wacom style active digitizer), everything else doesn't compare to its precision and responsiveness.

I've mostly used it on thinkpad tablet 2 because it's more portable than surface pro, the one with surface pro works pretty much the same maybe a bit better, you can just lay it on a table and write on it like it's a notebook and paper even though it might look too thick at first, there is excellent palm rejection, you can just rest you hand. You can use it for desktop navigation too like a mouse but it's not all that great for that still better than using fingers.

If you're getting a windows tablet definitely get one with wacom, there are only a handful of those as of now, not many choices. All my 'productivity' come from that, perfect for anything math, annotations and occasional sketching for fun (I don't have the talent for art, if you do can draw anything with this)

That's more of an opinion thing, but I felt that the Surface Pro 2 has a better digitizer than the Note 10.1 (2013), Note 8.0, and the Surface Pro 1.

Now that I gots me a new pen for my 8.0, it feels much better, though. >.>
Oh, I use mine for art and what not, so I have no clue on how if will feel for handwriting.

Abandond

One cannot be told what the digitizer feels like. You have to see it.

Haha, understood. I'll be stopping at the MS store on the way home after I study.

I know someone who did all of their Becker study on a Pro. If you're really just using it for note-taking and school, and if you'll always be by an outlet, just grab the Pro 1 for however amazingly cheap it is now.

Alright, didn't even look at the Pro 1 because it runs RT. Does it feel like a lot of functionality is missing without being able to install desktop programs or does the store cover most of the necessities (esp for school)?

If you want a tablet for school you definitely want one with a wacom one (or wacom style active digitizer), everything else doesn't compare to its precision and responsiveness.

I've mostly used it on thinkpad tablet 2 because it's more portable than surface pro, the one with surface pro works pretty much the same maybe a bit better, you can just lay it on a table and write on it like it's a notebook and paper even though it might look too thick at first, there is excellent palm rejection, you can just rest you hand. You can use it for desktop navigation too like a mouse but it's not all that great for that still better than using fingers.

If you're getting a windows tablet definitely get one with wacom, there are only a handful of those as of now, not many choices. All my 'productivity' come from that, perfect for anything math, annotations and occasional sketching for fun (I don't have the talent for art, if you do can draw anything with this)

I'm guessing the ones that have the wacom digitizer built in are the ones in this list?

I'll look into those.

That's more of an opinion thing, but I felt that the Surface Pro 2 has a better digitizer than the Note 10.1 (2013), Note 8.0, and the Surface Pro 1.

Now that I gots me a new pen for my 8.0, it feels much better, though. >.>
Oh, I use mine for art and what not, so I have no clue on how if will feel for handwriting.

Not too concerned about art as I suck butts. Thanks for the input though.

Abandond

Are..you sure you've researched this product you're supposedly interested in..

Yeahhhhhh I'm just kinda stupid.

I meant to say I didn't even look at the original line of Surfaces and I assumed that an original Surface Pro wasn't even a thing because it's not on the main Surface page as Surface 1 is.

Looking at the Surface Pro right now and I see absolutely zero reason to pay extra for 2 right now. A slightly faster processor, 8.1 Pro (which is a free upgrade anyway, right?) and 200 GB SkyDrive (not even close to being necessary) are the only "upgrades" it looks like.

Paganmoon

I meant to say I didn't even look at the original line of Surfaces and I assumed that an original Surface Pro wasn't even a thing because it's not on the main Surface page as Surface 1 is.

Looking at the Surface Pro right now and I see absolutely zero reason to pay extra for 2 right now. A slightly faster processor, 8.1 Pro (which is a free upgrade anyway, right?) and 200 GB SkyDrive (not even close to being necessary) are the only "upgrades" it looks like.

And a few extra hours of battery life iirc. Plus 2 positions for kickstand.

ksdixon

what are we expecting for surface 3/surface pro 3?

i believe LTE/4G mobile data should come standard. The surface being a productivity device, it needs to access internet when wifi isn't available.

I also cannot understand why the Pro line doesn't have Office included. If the Pro line is supposed to be the workhorse, I would expect it to have Office, simple as.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Correct. I had the choice and chose the 1 as well. Typing from it now. It is a beast.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have the Pro 1 and like it a lot. The adjustable Kickstand would be nice, but I can live without it. Performance is great, but I don't play a lot of games either.

Pooya

kickstand problem can be solved with something like that kickstarter funded case. They're not selling anymore until next month though and you have to preorder now, if it was something you could freely buy right now I'd have one already, I'll probably still get it.

I'm an expert

I dont know how SP1 users even function without the second position, I never use the first one.

I still don't know wtf everyone is talking about. More options is fine, sure, but I use my pro kickstand everyday..just fine..

Pooya

can someone take a look at their Firmware section in Device Manager. I was holding on March FW update until now (because I hate rom flashing) and I think something might have gone wrong with it, basically it got stuck on the install screen with fans on full blast until the battery ran out, I couldn't turn it off. it seems to be working now and the firmware seemingly is installed. (I have 1.6.xxx uefi now)

I have 4 items under firmware.
First one is just 'Firmware Resource'
The other three are specifically named; UEFI, Embedded Controller and System Aggregator.

Is that right? for Pro1.

Sai

Installing a mandatory Windows update and it's been stuck at 75% for a short while now. Should I be concerned?

[EDIT] - Ah, began restarting the moment I submitted this post. Wow.

[EDIT] - And even that is taking an eternity. What's up with this update?!

[EDIT] - ... Okay. Before restarting, I got an error code about a power driver state failure, or something along those lines. Went through the installation again and it actually finished that time...

Top Bottom