• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer girl nonsense, resistance and killzone fans go away please

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
this could be really interesting!

WrikaWrek

Banned
) Halo Wars has hit a snag in development. The control scheme works fairly well, but it facilitates only simplistic gameplay scenarios and uninteresting level design.

I knew this was going to happen. They should've ripped company of heroes, and put a Halo coat paint on it.

But noooooo.

What a waste of money.

scoobs

lol halo wars :) They had a revelation when they were finishing up the game... holy shit there is NOTHING special about this game at all!

Madman

WrikaWrek said:
I knew this was going to happen. They should've ripped company of heroes, and put a Halo coat paint on it.

But noooooo.

What a waste of money.
Even if it is in bad shape, it can be fixed. Even if it can't be fixed, it's Halo so it will sell no matter what.

stotch

Banned
scoobs said:
lol halo wars :) They had a revelation when they were finishing up the game... holy shit there is NOTHING special about this game at all!

Why are you :) that a game sucks, especially from ensemble? Ensembe is a great dev, I doubt they were the ones who decided to do this but they gave it their best shot.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
"They do. And their own engine they built from the ground up, likely using alot tech from the likes of Killzone2 and Heavenly Sword."

o_O O'Rly?

scoobs

stotch said:
Why are you :) that a game sucks, especially from ensemble? Ensembe is a great dev, I doubt they were the ones who decided to do this but they gave it their best shot.

Who says it sucks? They weren't given much to work with, having to make a console exclusive RTS game based on Halo. Atleast it will be a learning lesson for ensemble to keep doing what they are best at and thats PC RTS games (AoE ftw).

Madman

WrikaWrek said:
I was more worried with the fact of whether i'll like the game or not.
That was more or less a repsonse to your "waste of money" comment. If it does suck, I know virtually everyone at GAF will loudly proclaim so.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Madman said:
That was more or less a repsonse to your "waste of money" comment. If it does suck, I know virtually everyone at GAF will loudly proclaim so.

If the game is shit due to stupid design decisions, it's always a waste of money in my book.

stotch

Banned
scoobs said:
Who says it sucks? They weren't given much to work with, having to make a console exclusive RTS game based on Halo. Atleast it will be a learning lesson for ensemble to keep doing what they are best at and thats PC RTS games (AoE ftw).

I kinda agree, the gameplay can't be fast because console controls can't handle it, can't be epic because console players don't want to spend hours on one match, and can't be really complex because of controllers and players. LotR BfME had kind of interesting units, and seeing all the races and buildings, but halo... I just didn't like the smilie in your original post, and i don't think ensemble can be blamed for the decision to make this game.

Madman

WrikaWrek said:
If the game is shit due to stupid design decisions, it's always a waste of money in my book.
I think you mean more like a waste of resources as opposed to a waste of money, right?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Madman said:
I think you mean more like a waste of resources as opposed to a waste of money, right?

Same crap.

stotch said:
I kinda agree, the gameplay can't be fast because console controls can't handle it, can't be epic because console players don't want to spend hours on one match, and can't be really complex because of controllers and players. LotR BfME had kind of interesting units, and seeing all the races and buildings, but halo... I just didn't like the smilie in your original post, and i don't think ensemble can be blamed for the decision to make this game.

It was ensemble that brought the idea to MS, not the other way around.

Busty

Banned
Spank_Magnet said:
"They do. And their own engine they built from the ground up, likely using alot tech from the likes of Killzone2 and Heavenly Sword."

o_O O'Rly?

Well, it certainly stands to reason that having been so heavily involved in the development of Heavenly Sword and, we're told, instrumental to the development of Killzone2, that they would have either pioneered certain tech and tools while 'on the job', so to speak.

Unless of course, you know differently.

VonGak!

Banned
Busty said:
Well, it certainly stands to reason that having been so heavily involved in the development of Heavenly Sword and, we're told, instrumental to the development of Killzone2, that they would have either pioneered certain tech and tools while 'on the job', so to speak.

Unless of course, you know differently.

My issue is how SCE Cambridge helping possibly can be turned into a bad thing :S

I mean they didn't have a noteworthy IP (niche developers) and while being in the planning stages it would be better to share the staff with other developers (instead of having it idle or even worse, laid off) before ramping up production.

Tieno

stotch said:
They were the ones who decided to do this.

While it's worrying, it's not unheard of for studios to have difficulties during development. It can be a painful process.

stotch

Banned
Tieno said:
They were the ones who decided to do this.

While it's worrying, it's not unheard of for studios to have difficulties during development. It can be a painful process.

That's surprising, especially since, if the rumor is true, they ran straight into the issue that everyone has been harping on all along; there's nothing really that special about it. The game doesn't have resources, so maybe it's like World in Conflict, but with bad combat...oy. I think i read an interview about different terrain and differnt build times being managed like you would manage resources; I hope something works out.

Busty

Banned
We are heading for an all out blog war with these competing insiders. But, to add more delicous and totally unconfirmed speculation to fuel the fire, 'Skater Boy' (rolleyes) has made dropped some tips in his comments section. They include....

Anon said:
Do you agree with surfergirl about killzone being mediocre? And are there other games that will be disappointing next year?

Skaterboy said:
Yes, I'd agree with her. It's pretty, but gameplay-wise, it just doesn't really stand out at all.

Skaterboy said:
Other games that I don't expect to live up to their potential, but wish would come together at the last second: Red Steel 2, Iron Man, Alone in the Dark, Killzone 2, Far Cry 2, SWAT 5, and Eight Days (that old trailer is even less representative of the actual game than the original Killzone 2 trailer was of that game). Also, don't count on the next Driver, Spider-Man, and Tony Hawk games being any better than the other most recent ones.

And now those leaving comments are now claiming to be insiders....

*rolleyes*

Microssoft has 5 exclusives which are going to be announced this year, 1 RPG. 1,fps, 2 action adventure and 1 simulation, one of the two action adventure games was Multiplatform earlier and now 360 exclusive...sufferes from the Bioshock syndrome...

To which Skaterboy replied....

Skaterboy said:
Microsoft has some announcements that will definitely anger some people.

It all sounds fairly reasonable. But the thing that strikes me about these apparent insiders and their blogs is that they always seem to come away with items that give us a hints and never anything more substanial.

If they are true insiders at the heart of the gaming business protected by the anonymity that such blogs provide from the glare of NDAs and their litigious employers and peers, why aren't we getting more MEAGTONS? Why aren't we getting more sccops and insights? Alright, SurferGirl had the storyline for Resistance2, but wouldn't details on the online co-op and multiplayer have been more tantilising?

For all their claims for being some kind of video game 'whisteblower' I still think that the likes of the E3s and TGS' will bring the real news and megatons that people crave. All these blogs are doing are dropping more hints and tips to tide us over until we get the real information.....from the developers and publishers themselves.

deepbrown

Busty said:
We are heading for an all out blog war with these competing insiders. But, to add more delicous and totally unconfirmed speculation to fuel the fire, 'Skater Boy' (rolleyes) has made dropped some tips in his comments section. They include....

*rolleyes*

It all sounds fairly reasonable. But the thing that strikes me about these apparent insiders and their blogs is that they always seem to come away with items that give us a hints and never anything more substanial.

If they are true insiders at the heart of the gaming business protected by the anonymity that such blogs provide from the glare of NDAs and their litigious employers and peers, why aren't we getting more MEAGTONS? Why aren't we getting more sccops and insights? Alright, SurferGirl had the storyline for Resistance2, but wouldn't details on the online co-op and multiplayer have been more tantilising?

For all their claims for being some kind of video game 'whisteblower' I still think that the likes of the E3s and TGS' will bring the real news and megatons that people crave. All these blogs are doing are dropping more hints and tips to tide us over until we get the real information.....from the developers and publishers themselves.

Many of us get "inside news" but none of it is substantial....it all sounds like that.

Quazar

Busty said:

*rolleyes*

I agree for the most part. One thing these blogs do provide is something to read and ponder in between those main events. That's it. If someone actually takes these as 100% fact I feel sorry for them.

Busty

Banned
deepbrown said:
Many of us get "inside news" but none of it is substantial....it all sounds like that.

I agree with you 100%. I know exactly what you're talking about without getting into specifics
I don't work in the gaming industry, but know and work with people that do

But I wouldn't start a blog and invite people to ask me questions. These people are giving themselves a platform in which to dispense this 'knowledge'. At least with the likes of EGM and their 'Q-Man' section they label it as rumours. I see no such qualifiers with Surfergirl and the like.

Quazar said:
I agree for the most part. One thing these blogs do provide is something to read and ponder in between those main events. That's it. If someone actually takes these as 100% fact I feel sorry for them.

Agreed.

deepbrown

Busty said:
I agree with you 100%. I know exactly what you're talking about without getting into specifics
I don't work in the gaming industry, but know and work with people that do

But I wouldn't start a blog and invite people to ask me questions. These people are giving themselves a platform in which to dispense this 'knowledge'. At least with the likes of EGM and their 'Q-Man' section they label it as rumours. I see no such qualifiers with Surfergirl and the like.

Agreed.

Indeed. I could tell you a lot. Some of it interesting, some of it not.
What connects it all is that I can't back it up, I don't have details and it's info from people who got info from someone else...
Ironically I expect a lot of our sources are related to the same origin....some dude making shit up lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
Would be hilarious if the people angry at the MS announcement were 360 owners.

I don't know, but i would just laugh my ass off, i always get a kick out of a company that suddenly decides to show the middle finger to the current user base and change tactics.

BatmanX

I mean they didn't have a noteworthy IP (niche developers) and while being in the planning stages it would be better to share the staff with other developers (instead of having it idle or even worse, laid off) before ramping up production

Are you sure that the studio is still alive and it wasn't shutted down with the staff being spreaded through various teams? Judging from the records of mobygames, some of them worked with ninja theory at hs but other ones did the 24 game and two people join Codemasters for Overlord . After two commercial failures like primal and ghosthunter I woulnd't be surprised

Quazar

WrikaWrek said:
Would be hilarious if the people angry at the MS announcement were 360 owners.

I don't know, but i would just laugh my ass off, i always get a kick out of a company that suddenly decides to show the middle finger to the current user base and change tactics.

What MS announcement?

WrikaWrek said:
What does he mean by that? Anger owners or haters?

Would be funny to see anger from owners, but it would be better to see hanger from haters.

Assuming it's the latter, I'm guessing he means that PS3 will be losing either an exclusive or an SKU of an anticipated multiplatform game. That seems to be the most plausible interpretation, anyway.

Quazar

TSA said:
Ah, finally. "SurferGirl" is throwing in Zelda stuff. Now I can tell if they're full of shit or not.

Waiting...

And for that supposed MS announcement, it's vague for a reason. Reason being it can easily end up right with the most basic POS announcement. Always someone hating/mad/happy about any announcement.

dejan

Father_Brain said:
Assuming it's the latter, I'm guessing he means that PS3 will be losing either an exclusive or an SKU of an anticipated multiplatform game. That seems to be the most plausible interpretation, anyway.

I have this bad feeling that somehow pc gamers will get shafted yet again. :(
Dragon Age Xbox360 exclusive *vadernoooooooo.gif*

Draft

Rumors are just fun to read and argue about.

Damn you are some over analyzing nerds. Just enjoy the anticipation, the mystery, the suspense!

Quazar

Draft said:

Damn you are some over analyzing nerds. Just enjoy the anticipation, the mystery, the suspense!

:lol :lol

Sales Age has an ill effect on people.

stotch

Banned
Busty said:

I don't want to argue that they're 100% legit, but their posts in the comments section tend to clear up a lot of the vague points of their main page posts. i.e. SG posted in the comments section that the KI3 christmas card was real, then made a main page post about another rare game in 08, but didn't say KI3. I think they just don't want to "run out" of scoops.

edit:

Draft said:

Are you still anticipating anything from MS? I'm just annoyed at how long its been since they've talked.

Haunted

Quick question - did she predict that Wii marching band game correctly, or was someone joking in that unveil thread?

TSA said:
Ah, finally. "SurferGirl" is throwing in Zelda stuff. Now I can tell if they're full of shit or not.
... your verdict being?

Snah

Banned
f.ishie claims to know who surfer girl comprises of...take this however you want.

Its three people, only one is a girl.
The initials of the person who came up with the idea are HAA, he is also known as FFO.

Haunted One said:
Quick question - did she predict that Wii marching band game correctly, or was someone joking in that unveil thread?

... your verdict being?

At this time I can say I've heard nothing of a "spin-off" title coming from Retro based in the Zelda Universe other than complete gossip and wishful thinking.

However, I could see where one would make the educated guess that it should/could happen. Link's Crossbow Training was primarily FPS mixed with some third-persons segments. Retro just mastered a FPS scheme for Wii titles. Zelda needs new direction. Let Retro make a full-fledged Zelda title, but pass it off as a "spin-off" to cover their asses if the fan reaction is totally negative to the product, sparing the main franchise the wrath.

This rumor feels oddly similar to the one that surfaced back in 2003 when it was said Silicon Knights was working on a "realistic" Zelda game, before Twilight Princess was unveiled (this was after E3 2003 when they revealed MGS: TTS and in the wake of The Wind Waker).

In my opinion, I think parts of what are being said are facts taken here and there from the truth mixed in with speculation, which mostly stems from the assumption the next Zelda title should be something drastically new.

Top Bottom