• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer girl nonsense, resistance and killzone fans go away please

stotch

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
Microsoft bought out Mistwalker? When???

Oops, they don't own Mystwalker, they don't even own artoon (makers of blinx 1 and 2 for xbox) who are now at Mystwalker. They wouldn't be clueless as to what Mistwalker was doing though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Mistwalker the company is a product of a collaboration between MS and Sakagushi. MS funded the whole start.

They don't own it, but they have a special relationship with them.

BigO

So according to Surfer girl, Retro is working on a new IP for the Wii, a game for the DS and a Zelda spin-off. Do they have enough people at Retro to handle all that?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Duck said:
More Surfer Girl, now consumed by Obamamania!

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/02/hensleigh.html

1. I wonder if the downloadable Warhawk is getting a price drop as well, and if the Greatest Hits gig is going to be eventually applied to the smaller downloadable games (like Arcade Hits).

2. I also wonder what the sequel mentioned is.

Accoring to surfer girl answering someone's comment on the sequel, it's BioShock 2 (handled by 2K Marin instead of 2K Boston)

J-Rzez

Domino Theory said:
Accoring to surfer girl answering someone's comment on the sequel, it's BioShock 2 (handled by 2K Marin instead of 2K Boston)

Wow, they better not **** that game up :\

Domino Theory said:

plz, this time i want a real protagonist. not a piece wood like in part 1.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
solid2snake said:
plz, this time i want a real protagonist. not a piece wood like in part 1.

I'm not sure how to handle this comment. Either it's a joke post, or you simply just failed to grasp the majesty of how the story was told.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MS is paying for exclusivity of Mass Effect 2, but Bioware is not doing it since they are too busy doing Dragon Age?

nightside

BigO said:
So according to Surfer girl, Retro is working on a new IP for the Wii, a game for the DS and a Zelda spin-off. Do they have enough people at Retro to handle all that?

they don't have to develope the games at the same time:p

btw...

Surfer Girl said:
Prior to THQ shutting down their acquired automotive franchises, Stuntman: Demolition and a Juiced game were in the works for the Wii, via Locomotive Games and Juiced Games, respectively. Both were the best incarnations in their respective franchises, but the series were not too great so that claim does not carry much weight

:lol

Station42

to me, the fact that SG says that microsoft doesn't know anything about the sequel implies it's an IP usually seen on other platforms...

Darji

Banned
according to surfergirl GDC will be pact with games^^

1. MotorStorm 2 (yes)
2. Alan Wake (yes)
3. Socom (possible)
4. Wipeout HD (possible)
5. Too Human (yes)
6. Infamous (yes)
7. LittleBigPlanet (yes)
8. MGS 4 (possible)
9. KillZone 2 (yes)
10. Gears of War 2 (yes)

edit: Oh and:

Fatal Frame is coming to next-gen, calm down.

VonGak!

Banned
Darji said:

1. MotorStorm 2 (yes)
2. Alan Wake (yes)
3. Socom (possible)
4. Wipeout HD (possible)
5. Too Human (yes)
6. Infamous (yes)
7. LittleBigPlanet (yes)
8. MGS 4 (yes)
9. KillZone 2 (possible)
10. Gears of War 2 (yes)

When where and how? This really confuses me.

I mean only MS got a "press-conference" in its key-note, the rest of GDC is lectures (Many of thse studios aren't even holding lectures and most lectures are based on already released titles) and at these there usually only shown tech demos (think of Motor Storm and Heavenly Sword, everything apart from the core tech is removed so it doesn't represent the actual game).

At least this is the case if GDC haven't taken a drastic turn from the previous years (last year only Home & LBP were revealed and it was as a part of Phil's keynote on SCE's Game3.0 vision).

Here's a link to the official GDC site: http://www.gdconf.com/

There's no surprise lectures (after all, the developers have to plan their schedule in advance as they can't attend to them all) and these big upcoming titles aren't even mention in the list of most noticeable lectures (BIOSHOCK. HALO 3. CRYSIS. MADDEN. SINGSTAR).

Dever

Banned
Darji said:

1. MotorStorm 2 (yes)
2. Alan Wake (yes)
3. Socom (possible)
4. Wipeout HD (possible)
5. Too Human (yes)
6. Infamous (yes)
7. LittleBigPlanet (yes)
8. MGS 4 (yes)
9. KillZone 2 (possible)
10. Gears of War 2 (yes)

Actually it was "yes" for Killzone 2 and "possible" for MGS4. Which makes more sense to me.

Darji

Banned
ups guess i got confused with all the "yes yes yes"^^

Oh and Sony has no conference? I thought all big 3 have one like each year....

but even then they just need to release the trailsers on the web^^

Ps: SE has a speech too about their engine. Wada or Nomura mentioned something about it.

deepbrown

VonGak! said:

I mean only MS got a "press-conference" in its key-note, the rest of GDC is lectures (Many of thse studios aren't even holding lectures and most lectures are based on already released titles) and at these there usually only shown tech demos (think of Motor Storm and Heavenly Sword, everything apart from the core tech is removed so it doesn't represent the actual game).

At least this is the case if GDC haven't taken a drastic turn from the previous years (last year only Home & LBP were revealed and it was as a part of Phil's keynote on SCE's Game3.0 vision).

There's no surprise lectures (after all, the developers have to plan their schedule in advance as they can't attend to them all) and these big upcoming titles aren't even mention in the list of most noticeable lectures (BIOSHOCK. HALO 3. CRYSIS. MADDEN. SINGSTAR).

Actually there's "The Tech of FFXIII" which has a "hint hint" on the webpage

Plus there's Star Wars "hint hint"

And Fable 2 "hint hint"

Far Cry 2

Rage

Mercs 2

Frostbite Engine....

And Uncharted post0mortem says "What changes they'll make for their next game"

VonGak!

Banned
Darji said:

Ps: SE has a speech too about their engine. Wada or Nomura mentioned something about it.
MS didn't have one last year
http://www.gdconf.com/conference/keynotes07.htm

SCE and Nintendo aren't represented this year
http://www.gdconf.com/conference/keynotes.htm

EDIT:

I can't even find anyone from the studios making these by SG 'yes' branded titles on the list of featured speakers. :S
http://www.gdconf.com/conference/featuredspeakers.htm

Salazar

VonGak! said:

Argh. Your sensible words - they singe my flesh. It's odd, but I'm treating Surfer Girl's stuff regarding GDC with more suspicion than the usual rumour stream.

Darji

Banned
hmm then I dont know. Maybe Sony will realese all the trailers and Videos on the web while MS has their keynote^^

ahhh I want at least see a Resistance 2 video....

Nolan.

I didn't know warhawk sold over a million, (that is a condition for greatest hits right?) if so the downloaded version probably sold a lot.

deepbrown

Darji said:

SE has two final fantasy presentations. One is on their engine.

New Zelda game for Wii is possible. Heck, new River City Ransom for next-gen consoles is possible, but unlikely. Did I mention Resistance 3 is possible after they finish the part two, and it might come with 3 word subtitle?

Everything is possible... for Surfergirl.

le.phat

Darji said:

1. MotorStorm 2 (yes)
2. Alan Wake (yes)
3. Socom (possible)
4. Wipeout HD (possible)
5. Too Human (yes)
6. Infamous (yes)
7. LittleBigPlanet (yes)
8. MGS 4 (possible)
9. KillZone 2 (yes)
10. Gears of War 2 (yes)

wii not next-gen comfirmed
again

wsippel

Banned
Darji said:
SE has a speech too about their engine. Wada or Nomura mentioned something about it.
This is the only SE session announced so far:

WiiWare Project Lifecycle: FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES, THE LITTLE KING

Speaker: Fumiaki Shiraishi (Square-Enix), Toshiro Tsuchida (Producer, Square-Enix)

This session presents an in-depth look at the development process of Square-Enix's WiiWare launch title, FINAL FANTASY CHRYSTAL CHRONICLES: THE LITTLE KING. The development team's motivations to create WiiWare game will be explained, as well as difficult decisions made when faced with the task of creating a contemporary game within a 40MB memory limitation.
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6537

Darji

Banned
wsippel said:

wrong wispi^^

Two of the team behind Square Enix's epic Final Fantasy franchise will be at the event, with general manager for technical research Taku Murata discussing the company's work on a new game engine for FF XIII, while art director Isamu Kamikokuryo will discuss the art style of the series in an interview with Bungie's Steve Theodore.
Quote:
This year, GDC will also be hosting dual Japanese and English wireless translation services in a effort to open the event to a wider Japanese audience.

also this are the things i found from Sony:

Workshops

Insomniac's SPU Programming Practices

Speaker: Mike Acton (Engine Director, Insomniac Games)
Date/Time: TBD
Track: Programming
Experience Level: Advanced

Session Description
Insomniac is now on its third generation PlayStation 3 game and technology. Mike Acton, engine director, and Eric Christensen, principal engine programmer, will describe in detail the state of Insomniac's proprietary engine from RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN and RATCHET AND CLANK FUTURE: TOOLS OF DESTRUCTION to our current project. This talk will describe the steps taken to understand the SPU, fit more code and data on the SPU, and the steady progression toward a state where the SPUs dominate our game update. Developing an engine from the ground up on any platform is a difficult task. This talk will cover what went wrong, what went right, and what steps are being taken to continue in a direction that we keep Insomniac on the competitive edge and prepare the studio for future platforms. This presentation will include concrete examples of some of key systems and how they've been improved over time. Step by step code examples will be used to answer common questions related to SPU programming methods, including Insomniac's techniques for breaking the 256k barrier. Details on Insomniac's use of "SPU Shaders" and the benefits of that system will also be covered.

That must be Resistance 2^^

Making in-Game Commerce Work for You: SINGSTAR, a Case Study

Speaker: Richard Bates - Lead Programmer, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
Track: Production

Game consoles now have always-on network connections, and consumers are ever more comfortable with making purchases online. SINGSTAR on PlayStation 3 responds to this with an innovative in-game store, with a sophisticated, user friendly interface. This case study looks at how commerce can be of benefit to a game, and explores methods for building it in to a title. The session deals with many issues that will arise during production, from concerns such as parental control and testing, to technical considerations including server configuration and the page delivery model.

Home Tools and Support: Creating Content for PlayStation Home Sponsored
by Sony

Speaker: James Cox (Senior Producer, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe),Warren Keyes (Lead Tools Programmer, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe)

Date/Time: Thursday (February 21, 200 12:00pm — 1:00pm

Session Description
This presentation will cover an overview of the current Home Tools features and the feature roadmaps for the future. Additionally we shall walk through the process of creating a space for Home and show a guide to creating 3D mini-games within the Home environments. Wrapping up we shall take a sneak peak at Home Interactive Item creation.

At the Cutting Edge – Audio Production for HEAVENLY SWORD

Speaker: Garry Taylor (Audio/Video Manager, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe)
Track: Audio
Secondary Track: Production
Experience Level: All

Session Description
"With production values rivalling a Hollywood blockbuster, 'HEAVENLY SWORD' is game development on a truly global scale." When audio assets for a project are coming from 3 continents, separated over 20 time zones, managing the production effectively is a constant challenge. Outsourcing to production companies such as WETA (Lord of the Rings/King Kong) and audio teams responsible for films such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Departed, Garry Taylor takes you on a whistle-stop tour of the globe, looking at the lessons learnt, and examining the hurdles that were overcome to achieve the state of the art, 'Next-Gen' audio quality of Ninja Theory and Sony's 'HEAVENLY SWORD' title for PS3.

Idea Takeaway
This session will examine the HEAVENLY SWORD audio production process from start to finish, highlighting the highs and lows of the audio production and looking at some of the key issues that arise when managing large scale audio projects. It will also offer pointers on what to keep in-house and what to outsource in terms of audio production.

Intended Audience
This session is aimed primarily at audio professionals, game directors, producers and anyone involved in audio production for large or medium sized projects.

Creating a Character in DRAKE'S FORTUNE

Speaker: Christian Gyrling (AI and Animation Programmer, Naughty Dog Inc.)
Track: Programming
Secondary Track: Visual Arts
Experience Level: Advanced

Session Description
This talk will show how we developed the characters in DRAKE'S FORTUNE, praised for its animation. It will show how we reduced the complexity of organizing hundreds of animations by working with abstract animation states. The talk will also describe how we solved the AI/Animation integration as well as how we decoupled character orientation and movement from joint animation. Finally it will describe the extensive use of additive animations used to enrich the game experience.

Idea Takeaway
Attendees will learn to organize animations based on abstract animation states to reduce complexity, the importance of having the AI work closely with animation without tightly coupling them as well as the advantages to using additive animation to solve common problems where the animator has a lot of creative control.

Intended Audience
This lecture is targeting gameplay programmers and technical animators interested in techniques used to reduce the complexity in creating realistic looking characters.

deepbrown

https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6854

Taku Murata is the head of R&D of Square Enix. Under his leadership, Square Enix is now developing the common technology platform for the first time. The new game engine will be used for FINAL FANTASY XIII, new MMORPG under development, and other titles in the future. In this talk, Taku will describe the whole process of the engine development; why now, why not third party engine, what is unique, how it is being developed, what were challenges, etc. You'll be able to see the technological essence of FINAL FANTASY development.

wsippel

Banned
Darji said:
wrong wispi^^
I'd prefer if you'd either use my screen name or my real name, instead of some bullshit you came up with. Anyway, you're correct. SQEX isn't mentioned in the other sessions descriptions, that's why they didn't show up in a simple search.

beerbelly

Banned
FFChris said:
Alan Wake, Too Human, Gears 2 and Fable 2. Wow this GDC is going to be brilliant!

Too Human :lol

I am guessing Banjo Threeie will not be shown since there's been no hint about it at all.

Kyoufu

wsippel said:
I'd prefer if you'd either use my screen name or my real name, instead of some bullshit you came up with. Anyway, you're correct. SQEX isn't mentioned in the other sessions descriptions, that's why they didn't show up in a simple search.

WISPY!!

kbear

Darji said:

1. MotorStorm 2 (yes)
2. Alan Wake (yes)
3. Socom (possible)
4. Wipeout HD (possible)
5. Too Human (yes)
6. Infamous (yes)
7. LittleBigPlanet (yes)
8. MGS 4 (possible)
9. KillZone 2 (yes)
10. Gears of War 2 (yes)

This will be a good test for his/her rumors.

Btw, the "Insomniac has resentment for Guerrilla" thing was BS... jstevenson said they love Guerrilla.

Darji

Banned
Loudninja said:
but surfergirl said yes....^^

Anyhow dont forget this^^

Crytek will demonstrate their CryENGINE 2 game development middleware and their Sandbox 2 game editor at this year's Game Developer Conference, for the first time running on multiple hardware platforms such as the PS3 and Xbox 360.

First publicly shown at last year's conference, and recently released as the technology underlying their critically acclaimed PC game, Crysis, this year's engine will be shown for the first time running on multiple hardware platforms such as the PS3 and Xbox 360, to a select audience. In addition, there will be a public demonstration showing how well the fully optimized engine can perform on a budget PC which can be put together for around 600 dollars complete, including keyboard and mouse. Visitors will be able to see for themselves the extremely high quality that can be achieved on relatively inexpensive consumer hardware today using the CryENGINE 2.

Cevat Yerli, Sten Hübler and Bernd Diemer will host a GDC session entitled "Crysis in the Making", providing a behind the scenes look at the challenges of developing Crysis and the CryENGINE 2. Other highlights of the show will be various conference talks and discussions involving key Crytek technical staff including Chris Evans, Technical Art Lead, Tomas Neumann, Crytek's Audio Programmer, and Tiago Sousa, R&D Graphics Programmer.

In addition, Crytek will once again be hosting a series of public presentations at their booth #6611 in the North Hall, where the topics to be covered will range from live demonstrations of rapid level creation using the Sandbox 2 editor, working with the next generation features of the CryENGINE 2 animation system, adding immersive sound and interactive music to your game, to a discussion of the overall CryENGINE 2 design, graphical pipelines and overall architecture. These presentations will be lead by many of the leading members of the Crytek's game development and engine teams. For the first time, Crytek will also be joined at their booth by some of their many licensing partners, which will also show the CryENGINE 2 being used for architectural visualizations and serious games applications. Seating for the presentations is on a first come, first served basis, and likely to fill quickly. Each of these presentations will repeat twice each day; no appointment is needed to attend.

Dever

Banned
Is it confirmed that Sony and Nintendo won't be having keynote presentations? Or have they just not announced them yet?

Pachimari

I just wonder why Sony isn't font of showing Wipeout HD, as we recieved a playable beta build of the game last year around oct/nov I think. And now, they just won't show it - admitting there were a lot of issues/yet-to-be-dones according to Sony themselves.

Busty

Banned
SurferGirl said:
A cast member from a long-running Fox soap is/was dating someone from a Los Angeles game studio.

Heather Locklear is expecting Jaffe's baby. That's why he left Sony Santa Monica and started a studio in Nebraska.

Rly.

...I are an insider. I no need any factz

Speaking of Jaffe. This was quite interesting from 'her' comments.

Blearggghhhhh said:
1) Twisted Metal 2008 or 2009?

To which Surfergirl replied....

SurferGirl said:

Seems reasonable that Sony would follow the Wipeout and SOCOM models and have a smaller, high res port of some of the Twisted Metal maps from the PS2 games ala SOCOM Confrontation while having another team working on a proper, fully fledged sequel for release on Blu Ray.

But seeing as it doesn't seem as though Jaffe is doing any of these potential Twisted Metal games with Eat.Sleep.Play, I wonder what studios are developing these games?

Evolution perhaps with the Motorstorm engine or maybe Dylan Jobe's Wahwak team now based at Sony Santa Monica

...that's it. I'm starting my own 'insider' blog

Top Bottom