• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer girl nonsense, resistance and killzone fans go away please

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
E-phonk said:
from surferdudesblogthing

Haha, is the hackerguy giving us a shoutout in the comments? :lol

He's talking to a commenter called NeoGAF. There is a whole conversation between the two

Zen

Banned
vectorman06 said:
In one of her comments, she did say that MGS 4 will be ported to the 360 six months after the PS3 release :lol Also said something about a MGS and Ninja Gaiden Wii port...

Lots of things, most recently she posted leaked POP stuff that Ubisoft than came forward and confirmed was exactly what she said it was.

Busty

Banned
What did I say? What did I say? Enjoy Surfergirl and her blog while you can because these things never last....and low and behold, they never do....

ram

Jocchan said:
Ever heard of internal/placeholder names?
I can assure you some of them can be truly weird :D

sure, but you dont use 1000 different internal names for ONE project.

Apocryphon

E-phonk said:
Also, he is reading her googlemail, apparently she's a freelance journalist, and has contacts within ubisoft, gamespot, insomniac, official playstation mag, kotaku etc.. Her name is apparently "Cathy"

Shitty sentence construction for a supposed journalist.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
maui-surfer-wipeout.jpg

Lucky

This is all so fake and staged. Did you read her interview at Destructoid? She's obviously emotionally fragile and just does this sort of thing for attention. I'm not surprised she "faked her own death" (read staged hack) so quickly after her interview.

While I was excited about beans she spilled/made up about Nintendo stuff, I figured sooner or later she would self-destruct and go do something else to garner people's attention.

As for the Resistance 2 stuff. That seems needlessly detailed for it to be anything other than genuine.

Sloane

Banned
Can anyone explain the hate for Surfer Girl and his/her blog to me? Because I don't get. Usually everyone here is sooo into rumors -- and now that there's somebody who actually seems to know some stuff, you hate him/her?

Apocryphon

Lucky said:
As for the Resistance 2 stuff. That seems needlessly detailed for it to be anything other than genuine.

My 14 year old neice could put together something that looks more convincing than that trash. We're not talking about some two bit independant studio here, we're talking about Insomniac games.

Sloane said:
Can anyone explain the hate for Surfer Girl and his/her blog to me? Because I don't get. Usually everyone here is sooo into rumors -- and now that there's somebody who actually seems to know some stuff, you hate him/her?

Because it's so obviously made up?

Apocryphon

Sloane said:
Everything? The info about L.A. Noire, Alive etc. were all made up?

Most of the stuff he/she has pulled out of his/her ass. Some are likely educated guesses and the rest are probably based on old information no doubt found in the rumour sections of gaming magazines.

I find it hard to believe anybody could take this stuff seriously.

Majik said:
My 14 year old neice could put together something that looks more convincing than that trash. We're not talking about some two bit independant studio here, we're talking about Insomniac games.

You're full of shit : the Resistance 2 sheets are real, the hacker mentioned that he found them on internet, not in Surfer Girl account.

That's where she's taking her infos, though.

Ikael

She posted educated guesses along with legitimate information, which is far more than your usual "insider" does.

And now a fucktard have hacked her blog and mail, and everyone is cheering for no reason other than following the hive mind of "an insider is always a liar and a attention whore", so she "deserves it".

Even if everythign said at that blog was a lie, I don´t think that such a personal attack to the intimity is deserved. I think that the bitterness towards her and the cheering for what has happened has more to do with envy of the "undeserved attention" rather than any love for truth.

Apocryphon

Littleberu said:
You're full of shit : the Resistance 2 sheets are real, the hacker mentioned that he found them on internet, not in Surfer Girl account.

That's where she's taking her infos, though.

Hacker?

LOL :lol You'd have to have a malfunctioning CPU *taps head* to believe that it's not all been staged. She could have had her account back in two shakes of a donkeys tail by contacting the blogger.com support team and explaining the situation.

Majik said:
Hacker?

LOL :lol You'd have to have a malfunctioning CPU *taps head* to believe that it's all been staged. She could have had her account back in two shakes of a donkeys tail by contacting the blogger.com support team and explaining the situation.

"Hacker" is the name of the person that posted the Fact sheets about Resistance 2 ; it may or may not be Surfer girl, but the fact is that the Sheets are amazingly real.

Keep telling yourself it's all fake ; if anything, I think those Res2 info are the only real thing she spoiled.

Rotanibor

She is apparently back in the drives seat. Lets through another hat in the ring for STAGED.

Was it just all a silly ploy to post resistance design documents or really a cry for help?

grandjedi6

Rotanibor Eht said:
She is apparently back in the drives seat. Lets through another hat in the ring for STAGED.

Was it just all a silly ploy to post resistance design documents or really a cry for help?

It became pretty obvious through the whole conversation that she created the Hacker to have someone verify that she recieved emails from Ubisoft and such. She was really bad at it though since there were alot flaws with the fake personae.

I don't buy this 'faked a hacking' at all.

If he/she is legit, and genuinely does have insider information from people who are very explicit about not wanting their names revealed (presumably because they want to keep their jobs), then those sources are sure as shit not going to be sending any more confidential information that can identify them as sources to their respective bosses by any script kiddy with a brute force pass-cracker.

grandjedi6

MrNyarlathotep said:
I don't buy this 'faked a hacking' at all.

If he/she is legit, and genuinely does have insider information from people who are very explicit about not wanting their names revealed (presumably because they want to keep their jobs), then those sources are sure as shit not going to be sending any more confidential information that can identify them as sources to their respective bosses by any script kiddy with a brute force pass-cracker.

That assumes she actually does get insider information over her email. There are too many inconsistencies to believe she was actually hacked. Especially since by "hacked" she meant "figured out her password"

numble

You guys should understand that if she did it for PR attention, she failed, since the hacking was really only talked about here on gaf, and she's removed most of things DA Goliath did, including the purported Resistance docs.

Wouldn't she have waited for the almost inevitable Kotaku/*******/1up PR blitz before removing everything?

grandjedi6

numble said:
You guys should understand that if she did it for PR attention, she failed, since the hacking was really only talked about here on gaf, and she's removed most of things DA Goliath did, including the purported Resistance docs.

Wouldn't she have waited for the almost inevitable Kotaku/*******/1up PR blitz before removing everything?

You assume that someone who couldn't even make a plausable hacking story would be a master conspiracist. Plus surfer girl has never been popular with 1up or Kotaku, its mostly been forums and Destructoid, both of which commented on her "hacking"

grandjedi6 said:
That assumes she actually does get insider information over her email. There are too many inconsistencies to believe she was actually hacked. Especially since by "hacked" she meant "figured out her password"

Regardless of he/she/it's insider credentials, I think it's a bit much to question whether they do or do not actally receive emails containing information, because they obviously do. Whether that information is genuine or not is a seperate matter.

I think it's a given that once you have established yourself as 'having insider information' and being discreet about how you then present that information publicly, then you are then likely to attreact more 'insider' information, particularly from people who want certain things about their project known by the public - whether that's from people working on something who are genuinely hyped for it, people who want 'the true story' of a struggling project being 'saved' by their contributions, or people who want to expose mismanagement or incompetence by their seniors and have no other access to speak out and have their claims taken seriously (the Ubisoft news for example seems to cover all three of these contingencies).

This is why Fatbabies achieved some degree of fame - relatively anonymous actual insider information, with some measure of authenticity as many of the 'leaks' were attributable to people whose company was known and verifed by previous information. With this 'hacking', the guarantee of anonymity for any contributor is threatened enough to prevent any future information being passed by legit sources.

As Busty says, these things never last. How accurate surfergirls information is / was will only be measurable in hindsight.

Interesting update on her other blog.

At one point, the Wii version of Activision's Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (developed by Vicarious Visions) was going to feature Link and Samus Aran. However, the deal between the two companies fell through and the characters were cut from the final release.

marvelzelda-461.jpg

marvelsamus-0fb.jpg

I find this a bit hard to believe for some reason, but it's obviously not unprecedented, and the pics look real.

Endless

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

1) Crysis is coming to PS360, but not until Q3 of EA's fiscal 09 [October-December].
2) Also coming to PS360 next September is skate two., which, as previously mentioned, takes place outside of San Vanelona.
3) Also coming next fall is the Wii version of Spore from EA Montreal, which be the first home console version of the title to see release. The Wii version feature an online mode for content sharing akin to that found in the original version and the possibility of online gameplay for the Wii version is being looked into. The DS version of Spore (which Jenova Chen was working on prior to joining thatgamecompany), seeing release alongside the original version in April, will support the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for gameplay.
4) Driver 5 (working title) is not exclusive to the PS3 (nor was such ever the case), it will be hitting PC and 360 as well sometime next year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kafel said:
Could we stop updating this thread and wait for at least one thing that has been said to become true ?

Multiple independent people on GAF have confirmed a lot of the past-tense or descriptive stuff. The Prince of Persia shot is pretty widely considered to be real. The other blog from the same person is obviously real and has access to a lot of internal stuff the like of which even people like Frank Cifaldi (ex-Gamasutra, the Lost Levels) have been impressed. The guy on here who posted the Project HAMMER screens said Surfer Girl was involved in getting them.

Whether or not each individual thing is true, this is obviously not just some raving nutso like RumorReporter.com.

Rotanibor

i haven't asked or anything yet, but maybe there is something of a chance this is real and not bullshit. I think I just jumped automatically to bullshit because I feel their credibility is shot after that stupid hacking stunt they pulled.

Apocryphon

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

1) Crysis is coming to PS360, but not until Q3 of EA's fiscal 09 [October-December].

2) Also coming to PS360 next September is skate two., which, as previously mentioned, takes place outside of San Vanelona.

3) Also coming next fall is the Wii version of Spore from EA Montreal, which be the first home console version of the title to see release. The Wii version feature an online mode for content sharing akin to that found in the original version and the possibility of online gameplay for the Wii version is being looked into. The DS version of Spore (which Jenova Chen was working on prior to joining thatgamecompany), seeing release alongside the original version in April, will support the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for gameplay.

o_O

Aaron

Majik said:
Huh? These are already known or easily guessed at. "Crysis Instincts" has been hinted several times, a sequel to an EA game is a no brainer, and Will Wright has been vocal about the Wii port of Spore. It's shooting dead fish in a barrel with dynomite.

Apocryphon

Aaron said:
Huh? These are already known or easily guessed at. "Crysis Instincts" has been hinted several times, a sequel to an EA game is a no brainer, and Will Wright has been vocal about the Wii port of Spore. It's shooting dead fish in a barrel with dynomite.

I've been vocal in my doubts too.

Anyhoo, gotta skip...

[Nintex]

Father_Brain said:
Interesting update on her other blog.

I find this a bit hard to believe for some reason, but it's obviously not unprecedented, and the pics look real.[/QUOTE]
Fake, that's the Smash Bros Melee Link model and the Metroid Prime: Hunters samus model. Especially the Link one looks photoshopped.

Why is the leaked stuff always blurry and messy anyway, just to cover up Photoshop mistakes?:lol

Diablos

She said a lot of stuff. If any of it is true is what I wonder. When you type out all that, at least a couple of things are bound to end up being true. This does not necessarily mean she is actually being informed by someone.

She could also only know a few things, and then mix them in with a bunch of lies so that she looks credible when the ones she KNOWS are true end up being revealed, thus generating hype-filled threads like this.

Top Bottom