• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 32: Kaôh Rng |OT| Anything that can Kaôh Rng, will.

Unison

I don't think she was so much wrong about Julia as it was that they lucked out that they ended up offering Julia a better deal.

I am still #teamaubrey.

But yeah, she's getting a winner's edit, no doubt.

That being said if there's any outcome here besides Tai/Jason/Scot final 3, they've played terribly... Tai would be an idiot not to use them as goats.

kirblar

They don't have the numbers to leverage that. Jason/Scot are also kinda a poisoned meal at this point- if you ally with them and try to take them as goats THEY gain the power and get to pick a winner.

noshten

I am still #teamaubrey.

But yeah, she's getting a winner's edit, no doubt.

That being said if there's any outcome here besides Tai/Jason/Scot final 3, they've played terribly... Tai would be an idiot not to use them as goats.

I mean anyone would be an idiot(or have higher moral character) to not to want to be in a final three with Jason/Scot but the question is how many people are going to stand infront of the jury. Is it a final three or is it a final two? I can see this season not being very popular if Jason/Scot make it to the final thanks to a super idol and it ends up being a final two.

Unison

They don't have the numbers to leverage that. Jason/Scot are also kinda a poisoned meal at this point- if you ally with them and try to take them as goats THEY gain the power and get to pick a winner.

Let us hope...

But those two idols are very powerful if played well, especially if Julia continues to give them info.

That being said, I disagree that Scot/Jason would even have someone they prefer to take to the final 3, at least based on what we have seen so far... There's no one they have more of a chance with than Tai.

Unison

I mean anyone would be an idiot(or have higher moral character) to not to want to be in a final three with Jason/Scot but the question is how many people are going to stand infront of the jury. Is it a final three or is it a final two? I can see this season not being very popular if Jason/Scot make it to the final thanks to a super idol and it ends up being a final two.

Pretty sure it's a final three... unless a med evac fucks things up or something.

Unison

We're still on time for a F3, yeah.

After S28, I don't think they want to do a F2 unless absolutely necessary. Woo winning would have been disastrous.

True.

Jeez, Woo should have won... not taking Kass was an Erik-level blunder. I was frankly mad he was even invited back after that moronic gameplay.

noshten

True.

Jeez, Woo should have won... not taking Kass was an Erik-level blunder. I was frankly mad he was even invited back after that moronic gameplay.

We were rescued from a Woo winner edit, there is only so many trees he can fall out of in one season.

They fucked up, should of gotten rid of scott or jason.

They didn't fuck up, it was literally impossible to get rid of Scott or Jason this week The super Idol would've saved whichever they voted for. Even if they split the vote and it was 3/3/3, and a revote, I suspect the super idol would fuck that up too. It's waaaaaay too powerful. Their only prayer is making a deal with Tai.

BTM

What an entertaining episode and extremely entertaining tribal. I love how Jason & Scott thought that what they were doing with the idols was such a huge thing and then it turns out it basically had no effect on who got voted out.

Been a pretty stellar season so far.

Unison

What an entertaining episode and extremely entertaining tribal. I love how Jason & Scott thought that what they were doing with the idols was such a huge thing and then it turns out it basically had no effect on who got voted out.

Been a pretty stellar season so far.

True, but the other tribe definitely hoped to flush the idols out... that was why they didn't vote Jason or Scott in the first place.

It's definitely a good season though!

BowieZ

Banned
I still don't quite understand why they didn't go with Debbie's plan to split the votes, and once Aubry suspected Julia may flip (4 votes against Cydney or whomever), secretly change the vote-splitting plan back to just voting with 5 votes (against Tai, probably), hoping Jason doesn't want to "waste" his idol on saving Tai -- because they will only end up still in the minority but in this case would have an idol in pocket with 3 people (which fares well against 5 people splitting votes next time). (NB: I know that ultimately Jason gave his idol to Tai to form the super idol but strategically I think that was just a strangely played coincidence regardless of what the right strategy for the girls is.)

It's not ideal but at least it gives them a chance to maybe, for example, find a new idol and screw things up next time. Otherwise the way things went down this week, they're only going to be playing Russian roulette with worse and worse odds as the Tribals go by, because at some point they have to take fire at the super idol and deal with the splashback.

I dunno, maybe this all makes no sense. But I feel like the girls are delaying the inevitable as it is, and one of them is going to get screwed eventually, so why not take a punt on calling the super idollers' bluff?

I guess the sticking point simply is that Debbie wasn't going along with anything but ousting Jason or Scot. But surely a better player could convince her what's in her own best interests?

TheYanger

I still don't quite understand why they didn't go with Debbie's plan to split the votes, and once Aubry suspected Julia may flip (4 votes against Cydney or whomever), secretly change the vote-splitting plan back to just voting with 5 votes (against Tai, probably), hoping Jason doesn't want to "waste" his idol on saving Tai -- because they will only end up still in the minority but in this case would have an idol in pocket with 3 people (which fares well against 5 people splitting votes next time).

It's not ideal but at least it gives them a chance to maybe, for example, find a new idol and screw things up next time. Otherwise the way things went down this week, they're only going to be playing Russian roulette with worse and worse odds as the Tribals go by, because at some point they have to take fire at the super idol and deal with the splashback.

I dunno, maybe this all makes no sense. But I feel like the girls are delaying the inevitable as it is, and one of them is going to get screwed eventually, so why not take a punt on calling the super idollers' bluff?
They don't know what the super idol does, they assumed they could get Debbie AND flush two idols

BowieZ

Banned
They don't know what the super idol does, they assumed they could get Debbie AND flush two idols
That probably solves it. I assumed it was implied that the super idol power was known (eventually). But yeah, I guess they had no idea it was a Tyler Perry idol.

TheYanger

That probably solves it. I assumed it was implied that the super idol power was known (eventually). But yeah, I guess they had no idea it was a Tyler Perry idol.

More importantly, they don't actually even know if there's a 'super idol' at all. They just knew 2 of the 3 people had idols, and they would either play them and flush them, or not play them in hopes that they scared votes away from themselves. either way it wasn't a great spot to be in for the girls.

Aubrey went way down in my eyes this episode. She complained about Debbie wanting to make an emotional decision and then turns around and decides to get rid of Debbie in what seems like an emotional decision. Just seemed like Aubrey was getting tired of not being able to talk Debbie into what she wanted to do, so she decided to get rid of a strong ally that is most likely a goat that everyone finds annoying? Just seems like a crazy dumb decision. Should have stuck with the Julia vote and at least see what happens with the Idol, I can't see them wanting to waste the idol on anyone but Jason/Scot/Tai.

TheYanger

Aubrey went way down in my eyes this episode. She complained about Debbie wanting to make an emotional decision and then turns around and decides to get rid of Debbie in what seems like an emotional decision. Just seemed like Aubrey was getting tired of not being able to talk Debbie into what she wanted to do, so she decided to get rid of a strong ally that is most likely a goat that everyone finds annoying? Just seems like a crazy dumb decision. Should have stuck with the Julia vote and at least see what happens with the Idol, I can't see them wanting to waste the idol on anyone but Jason/Scot/Tai.

It wasn't emotional, if Julia didn't get immunity she wouldn't have done it I don't think, but faced with a bunch of bad choices she saw that Debbie was routinely blowing their game up and costing them any ability to game in any more subtle manner. It was a good call, as entertaining as she was for the season, Debbie is the worst kind of ally.

It wasn't emotional, if Julia didn't get immunity she wouldn't have done it I don't think, but faced with a bunch of bad choices she saw that Debbie was routinely blowing their game up and costing them any ability to game in any more subtle manner. It was a good call, as entertaining as she was for the season, Debbie is the worst kind of ally.

I really feel like she was doing nothing but blowing up her own game though. She almost seems like a Philip Shepherd to me, just placate her and make her think she's running everything and let her get voted out when it doesn't go their way.

I actually forgot Julia won immunity, that kind of gets rid of most of what I was saying. I still think it seems like an emotional move on her part. Joe can tell her no multiple times but he isn't actually trying to run anything, Debbie is. I think Aubrey just got tired of dealing with her and voted out a solid ally that would most likely be a target before her.

TheYanger

I really feel like she was doing nothing but blowing up her own game though. She almost seems like a Philip Shepherd to me, just placate her and make her think she's running everything and let her get voted out when it doesn't go their way.

I actually forgot Julia won immunity, that kind of gets rid of most of what I was saying. I still think it seems like an emotional move on her part. Joe can tell her no multiple times but he isn't actually trying to run anything, Debbie is. I think Aubrey just got tired of dealing with her and voted out a solid ally that would most likely be a target before her.

I mean, the way it's edited at the very least though shows it mostly as a product of Aubry being annoyed at Debbie basically running their alliance like she owns it and throwing their strategy to the enemy because of it. Whether you think she'll go first or not becomes irrelevent when she's uncontrollable, she'd blow their entire game. It wasn't a one time thing either, they've shown Debbie do this multiple times and Aubry hasn't been happy with it then either. It's very hard to run a subtle game for yourself when you've got someone just throwing everything on the table constantly. She's going to need room to maneuver VERY soon once they knock down 1-2 more people.

I mean, the way it's edited at the very least though shows it mostly as a product of Aubry being annoyed at Debbie basically running their alliance like she owns it and throwing their strategy to the enemy because of it. Whether you think she'll go first or not becomes irrelevent when she's uncontrollable, she'd blow their entire game. It wasn't a one time thing either, they've shown Debbie do this multiple times and Aubry hasn't been happy with it then either. It's very hard to run a subtle game for yourself when you've got someone just throwing everything on the table constantly. She's going to need room to maneuver VERY soon once they knock down 1-2 more people.

I get the worries of ruining her game but who are her allies now? Joe who has now been left out on a vote twice by her and Cidney who is probably target number 1 by the other alliance. Julia seems in the middle and she doesn't trust her and Michelle is only an ally in the fact that she doesn't like Jason. If she wants to play a subtle game she needs more people like Debbie in the game because right now it's just going to seem like the guys vs Cidney and Aubrey.

For everyone else I am kind of fine with the move, but for Aubrey specifically I just don't think it was a good move. I think Aubrey is in a much worse spot now than she was before.

UberTag

For everyone else I am kind of fine with the move, but for Aubrey specifically I just don't think it was a good move. I think Aubrey is in a much worse spot now than she was before.
I sort of agree but then what choice did she have. She couldn't vote for Julia. A vote for any of the guys would have resulted in a super idol play that could have easily blown up on her (we know that it would have cost her Cyd whom she values more than Debbie). Debbie was stubborn about targeting the men no matter what. Joe is stubborn about doing whatever Debbie tells him to do. She only had 4 votes to work with (including one that was semi-unreliable) and nobody else to target.

You say it was a bad play for Aubrey. I'm saying what other choice are you suggesting she had available as an alternative? Because I only see... losing Debbie, losing Cyd (and flushing the idols) or putting her own neck at unnecessary risk. You can make a case that flushing the idols would have been better than keeping Debbie around to blow up any plan she comes up with while continuing to blindly trust Julia... but I'm not so sure.

I sort of agree but then what choice did she have. She couldn't vote for Julia. A vote for any of the guys would have resulted in a super idol play that could have easily blown up on her (we know that it would have cost her Cyd whom she values more than Debbie). Debbie was stubborn about targeting the men no matter what. Joe is stubborn about doing whatever Debbie tells him to do. She only had 4 votes to work with (including one that was semi-unreliable) and nobody else to target.

You say it was a bad play for Aubrey. I'm saying what other choice are you suggesting she had available as an alternative? Because I only see... losing Debbie, losing Cyd (and flushing the idols) or putting her own neck at unnecessary risk. You can make a case that flushing the idols would have been better than keeping Debbie around to blow up any plan she comes up with while continuing to blindly trust Julia... but I'm not so sure.

When I first said it I actually forgot Julia had won immunity just because she's mostly forgettable. That kind of gets rid of most of what I said. My only real hang up is whether the rest of them know what the super idol actually does or not. It becomes a thing of whether they decide to let Jason/Scot/Tai control the game or they just make a vote and force them to use it.

At this point it just becomes too hard to separate the knowledge they'd have and what I have. When they flash their idols around I can't help but either think they aren't going to play them or they plan on using it as a super idol, but they may not even know completely about the super idol. Then if they stick the plan it's up in the air whether Julia goes with them or not and who is weary of them getting a vote.

Basically yeah I get your point, she was basically forced into it. Just seemed like the editing made it seem like it came about before Julia got immunity and was still up in the air until the guys showed their idols.

TheYanger

But they don't even know that they HAVE to vote for a guy to flush the idols. From their perspective the idols flush whether they vote the boys or not. (Barring them voting a guy and the guy leaving with an idol in his pocket, which is a kind of shit play to bank on).

But they don't even know that they HAVE to vote for a guy to flush the idols. From their perspective the idols flush whether they vote the boys or not. (Barring them voting a guy and the guy leaving with an idol in his pocket, which is a kind of shit play to bank on).

This is my main hang up, we have no idea what they exactly know about the idols at this point. Aubrey could have some information from Ice Cream Man and I'm sure everyone was questioning Tai and asking him after the last tribal, or at least openly speculating. So we don't know at all what they know at this point.

If they know the rules of the idol though they are pretty much already at the point of go for broke on flushing it. Any more of their numbers get voted out before they decide to flush it they are left with too little room to really maneuver at all.

UberTag

It's kind of unfair to critique someone's gameplay when you're basing their decision-making on assumed ignorance given the absence of information provided on an edited broadcast run of the show.

Who knows what they know and don't know about idol use/powers/etc.? Those tribal councils last hours and we get 10 minutes of TV time out of them... often we get even less once you factor out the vote itself.

Given that idols didn't start showing up at tribal council until last night, I think it's fair to argue that Aubrey and the others made as good a decision as they could given the circumstances (they did come in with contingency plans) and, if it turns out they're able to swing Tai next week (unlikely given that what gets hinted at a promo rarely turns out to be what unfolds), it'll turn out to be a fruitful one.

More realistically this just turns into a stay of execution for Cyd.

TheYanger

It's kind of unfair to critique someone's gameplay when you're basing their decision-making on assumed ignorance given the absence of information provided on an edited broadcast run of the show.

Who knows what they know and don't know about idol use/powers/etc.? Those tribal councils last hours and we get 10 minutes of TV time out of them... often we get even less once you factor out the vote itself.

Given that idols didn't start showing up at tribal council until last night, I think it's fair to argue that Aubrey and the others made as good a decision as they could given the circumstances (they did come in with contingency plans) and if it turns out they're able to swing Tai next week (unlikely given that what gets hinted at a promo rarely turns out to be what unfolds) it'll turn out to be a fruitful one.

I think it's totally fair to say they don't know shit about what the super idol actually does. There's no chance the conversations they had go the way they did if they knew.

But agreed, there's no way for them to get the guys out without someone getting fucked and Cyd looks like it.

Given that idols didn't start showing up at tribal council until last night, I think it's fair to argue that Aubrey and the others made as good a decision as they could given the circumstances (they did come in with contingency plans) and, if it turns out they're able to swing Tai next week (unlikely given that what gets hinted at a promo rarely turns out to be what unfolds), it'll turn out to be a fruitful one.

I'm not really holding it to them, I'm more holding it to the editing. We don't really know what Aubrey knows from Ice Cream pants and we don't really know what people took from Tai talking about it at tribal. I'm just saying not knowing that makes it even harder to speculate. I'm interested in exit interviews from Debbie to maybe hear if there was more talk about it, but I doubt Debbie is a reliable source.

Edit: Ultimately I'm saying I agree after talking about it they made the best choice they probably have. Just hard to see it as anything but bad because I think it puts Aubrey in a worse position.

Talonz

If I'm Tai I don't save one of those two dumbasses ever. All three of them have to make it to final tribal for him to win. Any of those women make it to final tribal and that women wins if Tai doesn't screw over his bros, imo. Tai has screw over those two if he hopes to have any shot at winning. Tai has the ultimate power so I hope he doesn't pull a Woo.

I still can't believe he poured water on the fire. Totally out of character for Tai and I'm afraid he'll actually save either of those two when the time comes.

Also, is this the latest in the game a "celebrity" has made it this far into the game? It usually seems like they go within the first couple of episodes and never make it far.

Kwhit10

If I'm Tai I don't save one of those two dumbasses ever. All three of them have to make it to final tribal for him to win. Any of those women make it to final tribal and that women wins if Tai doesn't screw over his bros, imo. Tai has screw over those two if he hopes to have any shot at winning. Tai has the ultimate power so I hope he doesn't pull a Woo.

I still can't believe he poured water on the fire. Totally out of character for Tai and I'm afraid he'll actually save either of those two when the time comes.

Also, is this the latest in the game a "celebrity" has made it this far into the game? It usually seems like they go within the first couple of episodes and never make it far.

Names are slipping me, but the lady from the facts of life was in the final wasn't she?

ultron87

I was sad that the way they picked teams in the reward challenge didn't result in some mid-challenge sabotage. Has that ever happened? Like someone ends up on a team of people they hate and just sits down?

Names are slipping me, but the lady from the facts of life was in the final wasn't she?

Lisa Welchel was - that led to Penner's big reveal during FTC of who she was.

I feel like Probst's lack of preseason enthusiasm suggests that we're not getting a Tai/Scot/Jason F3. A retired NBA player and a veteran making it to the end seems like something that he'd have gone crazy over -- and it's not like their obnoxious personalities would've put a damper on that, since he was on record as thinking S30 was one of the best ever.

I'm still not sold that Jason is a goat at this point. Scot 100%, but I still have not really seen too many people hating Jason outside of Michelle.

vypek

I was sad that the way they picked teams in the reward challenge didn't result in some mid-challenge sabotage. Has that ever happened? Like someone ends up on a team of people they hate and just sits down?

Curious about this too. Closest I can think of is this season where the blonde brawn woman had a team that just didn't seem to care in their last challenge as a tribe.

BowieZ

Banned
I can't think of anything like that that's happened, reward or immunity.

A crazier question would be, after a tribe swap, what happens if both tribes try to throw the challenge and the members of the majorities on both sides REFUSE to participate (so they can go to Tribal and vote out the opposition).

Jeff would tear shit up. Maybe even unswap the tribes and send them both to Tribal or something lol.

I'm still not sold that Jason is a goat at this point. Scot 100%, but I still have not really seen too many people hating Jason outside of Michelle.

I'm not either. I think he can still win. If he dominates the game from here on out there are definitely players who will respect him for it. I think he'd potentially win between Jason, Scot, Tai and Julia. Would beat Joe too for sure.

I can't believe that Joe is still in this game.

The man despite looking like he's in great shape especially for 70, is beyond useless in physical challenges, then socially he's more aloof than Kimmy Schmidt

Parch

I think it's totally fair to say they don't know shit about what the super idol actually does. There's no chance the conversations they had go the way they did if they knew.
They knew the super idol does something. Tai already spilled those beans, and when he was given a second idol they knew a combined idol had significance. A version of the super after-vote idol has existed in a previous season as well.

I think it was a vote where they realized that one of the gals was going home so instead of gambling it was one of them, they threw Debbie under the bus. Unfortunately that panic vote also resulted in failing to flush out any of the idols. Now the guys have the exact same power for next tribal. None of them are going home again, and one of the gals will.

The super idol really is a ridiculous amount of power that now continues to be a really dominant trump card for the guys. It has to be eliminated asap or they'll ride that power to the end if their competition continues to be willing to sacrifice one of their own to save themselves.

TheYanger

They knew the super idol does something. Tai already spilled those beans, and when he was given a second idol they knew a combined idol had significance. A version of the super after-vote idol has existed in a previous season as well.

I think it was a vote where they realized that one of the gals was going home so instead of gambling it was one of them, they threw Debbie under the bus. Unfortunately that panic vote also resulted in failing to flush out any of the idols. Now the guys have the exact same power for next tribal. None of them are going home again, and one of the gals will.

The super idol really is a ridiculous amount of power that now continues to be a really dominant trump card for the guys. It has to be eliminated asap or they'll ride that power to the end if their competition continues to be willing to sacrifice one of their own to save themselves.

Tai wasn't given a second idol until after they had voted, so that's a moot point. They know Tai mentioned a super idol at the last tribal, but we don't know if they took it seriously or even discussed it, we do know they didn't really mention it while they were talking about the voting strategy, at least the section we saw, whcih is the most obvious place they'd want to do so. More than likely they talked about it some but it clearly didn't affect their strategy.

Even still, they don't know wtf the super idol does.

BowieZ

Banned
Bit of a tangent here: I'm worried about the potential of another medevac... especially in terms of making the show enjoyable.

Thinking back to Neal's exit, which tbh, was a bit of a dud of an episode, I'm wondering if a third medevac does happen (before the finale, I mean), whether there's any way they can get away with combining it with a Tribal Council to make the episode more satisfying.

If the finale is Wed 18 May, that means there are 4 episodes PLUS a finale left. And there's currently 8 people left: Aubry, Cydney, Michele, Julia, Joe, Tai, Scot, and Jason. So it stands to reason that we lose one person per episode, leaving us with 4 people in the finale, and the odds of a Final 2 are quite good.

However, is there ANY chance that they could ever have a finale with just 3 people in it? One "advantage" challenge, one immunity challenge, a Tribal Council, a Rites of Passage (would they ever...?), and a Final Tribal Council? What if the Final 3 were all built up to be epic players people were excited to see duke it out? That's more than can be said for many finales, and would make the finale quite intriguing. (Tai, Aubry, and maybe Jason with a late-game redemption story? It could be one of each of Beauty, Brains & Brawn!)

However, is there ANY chance that they could ever have a finale with just 3 people in it? One "advantage" challenge, one immunity challenge, a Tribal Council, a Rites of Passage (would they ever...?), and a Final Tribal Council?

Exile Island did that.

Well, technically the Cirie/Danielle fire making challenge happened at the stat of the episode, but for all intents and purposes they had a final three for the finale, with Terry winning an advantage in a reward challenge.

I doubt Survivor wants to go down that route again, but it's possible that medevac could force their hands.

Top Bottom