• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 32: Kaôh Rng |OT| Anything that can Kaôh Rng, will.

Hot damn. Tai lives!

Final 6... so he can play the idol one week, and the 2 votes the next and make final 4 right?

But there are so many strong players that I dont see Tai being respected for the final vote

Cidney has to go. Aubrey and Joe could probably work out for tai

Unison

Awesome episode, awesome season.

Julia licking her lips thinking about eating Mark makes her a shoo-in for Heroes v. Villains 3.

It seems very obvious that Aubrey will win still... Tai's extra vote is essentially hers.

lol Joe's still in the game. He's winning something at the end.
Fan vote

Tai looks like he's done. I bet he not even watching this.

BowieZ

Banned
You really post on the borderline of being a complete spoiler. I do not believe that you don't know the boot order this season.

It's been a criticism aimed at you before and a fair one. Go post on Survivor Spoilers if you can't resist but dont ruin it for us.
What the...?

I am unspoiled.

In fact, I've levelled criticism at OTHER posters for potentially being spoiled or discussing winner's edit stuff in Survivor threads in general, although I do concede guilt for entering into winner's edit discussion in recent pages, however it is pretty much always in response to other people doing the same and me disagreeing, as in this case!

You may have me confused with someone else though?

EDIT: I guess you're referring to the fact that I concealed the name of the person whom I think is winning, in my post, but I assure you that wasn't so much me concealing a spoiler as me concealing whom I vehemently believe is winning based on repeated viewings of 31 prior seasons... I personally feel like I've spoiled myself so I don't want any disinterested parties to glancer over what I wrote and clue together what I personally think is going on behind the curtain, so to speak. But I may be wrong in my educated guess. In fact, Kirblar has a completely different take on who's winning and that's why we were going at it together :p

I've thought Aubry was going to win for a while now, but this last episode has swung my guess to Michelle. She seems to always be able to reposition herself whenever she's on the bottom, and I think she'll be there in the end.

I've thought Aubry was going to win for a while now, but this last episode has swung my guess to Michelle. She seems to always be able to reposition herself whenever she's on the bottom, and I think she'll be there in the end.

The show has repeatedly shown Michele being fooled by Julia, and the recap even repeated the shot of her resting her head on Julia while the other players were scrambling. That's not the mark of a winner's edit.

No doubt Aubry has had a stronger edit so far, but I just see the potential for a Michelle win and an edit that gets stronger for her at this point. Like how Danni was kinda invisible until the last few episodes.(I know, that season was aaaaages ago). Michelle is low key, low drama (julia related tears notwithstanding) so she probably hasn't given them as much to work with as a talkative Aubry. This is a great final group though. Other than Joe, these are all strong players who are fairly evenly matched strategically and in competitions, and one of the stronger end game groups I've seen as far as potential to win.

Setzer

I'm going to laugh if Joe wins this.

He'll be right up there with Natalie....and probably ahead of her.....as most undeserving Survivor winner. I'm probably missing some others but she's the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member

He'll be right up there with Natalie....and probably ahead of her.....as most undeserving Survivor winner. I'm probably missing some others but she's the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

Natalie White isn't an undeserving winning. Natalie laid her strategy out right at the beginning of the game, which was to form a tight bond with Russell because Russell was so unlikable. Natalie, unlike Russell and a lot of other people who play Survivor, knew that Survivor at its core was a social game. It doesn't matter how many blindsides you pull off or how controlling of the game you are if you're a complete ass.

While Russell was obsessing over idols and numbers, Natalie was building relationships with the entire jury, knowing that if she made it to the end sitting to next to Russell like she wanted, she'd win in a landslide.

And she did. Russell played a bad game twice and lost twice to a person who didn't play a flashy game of big moves, but instead focused on the subtle social part of the game, which is the most important part of Survivor.

s19_final_three.jpg

See, I always think of Ratalie's win as Russell's loss more than her win. He was so toxic, so unpalatable, so poor at jury management, that he gift wrapped the game for her. It's not so much her being undeserving as it is about Russell being deserving of his loss. Fun fact: In an interview with Entertainment Weekly after Redemption Island, Russell said he was going to sue his tribemates for throwing the immunity challenge, claiming they violated their Survivor contracts by doing so. I think even duds like Woo and Joe could easily win against Russell.

kirblar

See, I always think of Ratalie's win as Russell's loss more than her win. He was so toxic, so unpalatable, so poor at jury management, that he gift wrapped the game for her. It's not so much her being undeserving as it is about Russell being deserving of his loss. Fun fact: In an interview with Entertainment Weekly after Redemption Island, Russell said he was going to sue his tribemates for throwing the immunity challenge, claiming they violated their Survivor contracts by doing so. I think even duds like Woo and Joe could easily win against Russell.
The amount of shit his castmates have described unshown by the editing is unreal.

Parch

Scot was sitting there looking like he was ready to pull Tai's limbs off. Tai is really going to have to sell the big move to the jury, and he has played the idol advantages about as good as possible. Scot and his bud failed to see the scenarios from Tai's point of view and failed to recognize what a huge advantage it gave him to do what he did.

Now once again the cast failed to flush out the idol and put Tai a step closer. That guy is working it hard.

Even still, bitter jury is probably going to shoot down Tai no matter how good he worked the idols and no matter how much he sells it as a smart strategy.

As much as it seems unfair to have a super idol and a double vote advantage as part of the game, it's sure made this season's strategy interesting.

Setzer

Natalie White isn't an undeserving winning. Natalie laid her strategy out right at the beginning of the game, which was to form a tight bond with Russell because Russell was so unlikable. Natalie, unlike Russell and a lot of other people who play Survivor, knew that Survivor at its core was a social game. It doesn't matter how many blindsides you pull off or how controlling of the game you are if you're a complete ass.

While Russell was obsessing over idols and numbers, Natalie was building relationships with the entire jury, knowing that if she made it to the end sitting to next to Russell like she wanted, she'd win in a landslide.

And she did. Russell played a bad game twice and lost twice to a person who didn't play a flashy game of big moves, but instead focused on the subtle social part of the game, which is the most important part of Survivor.

s19_final_three.jpg

That's fine and all....so she was friendly and people liked her and she never pissed anyone off. But let's face it, she won because no one liked Russell....that's it. It was nothing about her game that got her the win. I don't recall any big moves she made strategically on her own....she pretty much did what Russell told her to do and put a smile on her face. That to me doesn't make for a very deserving winner.

noshten

No doubt Aubry has had a stronger edit so far, but I just see the potential for a Michelle win and an edit that gets stronger for her at this point. Like how Danni was kinda invisible until the last few episodes.(I know, that season was aaaaages ago). Michelle is low key, low drama (julia related tears notwithstanding) so she probably hasn't given them as much to work with as a talkative Aubry. This is a great final group though. Other than Joe, these are all strong players who are fairly evenly matched strategically and in competitions, and one of the stronger end game groups I've seen as far as potential to win.

Yep fantastic cast this season - also you gotta be thinking either Jeff is off his rocker or they have decided there is no need to hype survivor.

Bob from Gabon, Sugar was the original Russel

kirblar

He didn't hype Cagayan either, and he LOVED the awful S30.

The one recent season he got right was S29, which he described as "different", and it is kind of a polarizing season.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member
That's fine and all....so she was friendly and people liked her and she never pissed anyone off. But let's face it, she won because no one liked Russell....that's it. It was nothing about her game that got her the win. I don't recall any big moves she made strategically on her own....she pretty much did what Russell told her to do and put a smile on her face. That to me doesn't make for a very deserving winner.

Her game was to be likable and form a tight bond with Russell, and it's a perfectly valid strategy that's worked for others. Natalie gets flak for it because she was against golden boy Russell.

People really over estimate the importance of big moves and numbers in this game, both the viewers and the players. The entire point of the game is to get to the end and to be well liked. Why make a big move just for the sake of making a big move? There's no point and you put your own game in danger.

With Russell being completely unlikable and willing to screw people over left and right, why should Natalie have stepped up to the plate? And she did btw when she helped organize Erik's boot right after the merge, which Russell had no part in.

Natalie always gets picked out as the undeserving winner in Survivor when quite a few others have used her very strategy and are deemed deserving. Namely Sandra and JT. What big moves did Sandra make in all of Pearl Islands? What blindsides were her idea? What flips were because of Sandra? Lil and Jonny Fairplay came up with every strategy and Sandra went along with it because why rock the boat when you're already on a path to win?

Likewise, JT went along with every plan Stephen came up with. There were no boots that were JT's idea and he let Stephen get the blood on his hands. JT's entire game was to just be likable and get to the end. Stephen even commented on that during the entirety of Cambodia, where he was obsessed with taking Joe out because he didn't want to lose to the golden boy again.

Fact of the matter is, the social game is THE most important part of the game. Natalie was one of the most likable people to ever make it to the end in Survivor history. Again, it doesn't matter how many blindsides you pull off or how many alliances you have when no one likes you.

Sandra, Danni, JT, and Sophie's strategies were all the same as Natalie's. Just be the most likable person in the finale and don't make unnecessary moves that will rock the boat, especially when you're already on a path to win. And yet none of them get called out as undeserving because they didn't beat production and viewer favorite Russell, who played a horrible game.

noshten

Joeys_Rattata said:
Fact of the matter is, the social game is THE most important part of the game. Natalie was one of the most likable people to ever make it to the end in Survivor history. Again, it doesn't matter how many blindsides you pull off or how many alliances you have when no one likes you.

How do you feel about Fabio as a winner? He is arguably as likable as Natalie and people gave him a million fully knowing he would waste it.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member
How do you feel about Fabio as a winner? He is arguably as likable as Natalie and people gave him a million fully knowing he would waste it.

There's no undeserving winner in Survivor. If you make it to the end and manage to convince the jury to vote for you, you deserve to win.

Fabio's wasn't very satisfactory, but to say he's undeserving I feel isn't giving him credit. He lasted 39 days, which is a feat in and of itself, and then managed to convince an entire jury to vote for him.

Part of the reason Fabio's win wasn't satisfactory though is because it made no sense, and that's the fault of the editors. For the entire season, we were led to believe that NaOnka HATED Fabio with a burning passion. She got into fights with him all the time, while she was shown to have a close bond with Chase. Hell, she even gave Chase her idol.

And then come finale night, Nay voters for.... Fabio? Why? The editors were so obsessed with painting NaOnka was the most evil person to ever play because she quit that they never explained why she voted for Fabio.

If you would have been more satisfied with Russell winning Samoa, fine, but calling Natalie an undeserving winner isn't giving her proper credit.

flyover

Just be the most likable person in the finale.

Yeah, this is pretty much the game in a nutshell: make it to the end and be the most-liked person there (knowing people will rationalize their votes for you from there). Of course, "most-liked" means different things to different people. Sometimes, jurors can be super-pissed, but a strong connection in the game can still get you the vote -- like when Grant voted for Boston Rob, but then never spoke to him after the game, at least not for a good while.

So, that said, how are the current remaining contestants ranked in likability amongst the jurors and each other (which may well be different from how we viewers feel)?

Tai could be the person everyone thinks "will win if he makes it to the end," but really won't, because he doesn't have a strong enough connection with the others. Someone like Aubry may be coming off great on TV, but might seem neurotic out on the island. Everybody seems to be comfortable talking with Michelle and Cydney, but we haven't seen enough to know how many of the others really feel about them. Jason may be more liked by the other castaways than he is by viewers. Joe is obviously last.

So are there really three episodes left? Dalton Ross posted that in his recap, and I'm so worried about spoilers that I don't want to even risk looking ahead to future episode titles. If that's true, we might be getting a final 2, right? One person goes home next episode, another goes home the next week, and we start the finale with 4 people left, which usually means we get a F2.

He didn't hype Cagayan either, and he LOVED the awful S30.

The one recent season he got right was S29, which he described as "different", and it is kind of a polarizing season.

Key thing to remember: what Probst thinks makes for a good season is drastically different from what most of us thinks makes for a good season. I can't say I understand why he loves the things he does -- as you note, he loved S.30, even though it has a strong argument for being the worst season ever. He must base it entirely on how much he personally likes the winner?

I think Joe is more likely to be a late medevac than the winner.

kirblar

It's an F4 finale, but we don't know if it's F3 or F2. There was a rumored twist pre-season which could eat up time in the finale if it's a real thing.

flyover

He must base it entirely on how much he personally likes the winner?
I think that's a big part of it. He weighs the outcome a little more heavily than individual episodes. I think he also has a little trouble distinguishing interpersonal conflict from dramatic tension. That said, I think he's great. I like that he's a participant of sorts in each season -- flawed and sometimes misreading the game/contestants and occasionally steering things in a certain direction -- even if I don't always like each such occurrence in isolation. If you're a castaway who's figured Probst's view of his own role out a bit, it can be to your advantage in the game.

Still think Michelle is the ridiculously obvious winner. She gets the most random and narrative confessionals when almost anyone can get those confessionals. Aubry and Sidney are a possibility, but I think Sidney gets too much a negative or emotional edit to make her really seem strategic and Aubry just seems like it was a build up to a big move and now it's moving toward a downfall. Michelle has been consistently narrative and showing her process of thinking even when she has had very little to actually do with what is happening on the episode.

I also don't understand how Jason still gets so much hate from general fans after this episode. He had nothing to do with all the fire bullshit and this episode showed he played it nice and casual and really just seemed to come off pretty nice. I understand not liking the dude or hating his cocky attitude, but the hate he gets seems so damn overblown.

llehuty

Hmmmm, if Michelle ends up winning, I could see why Probst wasn't hyping it up. I still feel like everything is up in the air, though, whith the ones in the better spot being the 3 women.

Really curious about how the Tai idol and extra vote are going to play out. The obvious choice is kicking Tai out at Final 4, when he cannot use the advantages, but I could see him winning the last immunity challenge.

Really liking the season, it's still really ope, IMO.

School bully who does all sorts of shitty things while ostensibly justifying by saying its all for his family.

Eh, maybe I'm just crazy I just don't see too much of the bully stuff. Sure he was a dick to Alicia but I just can't see too much of that being bullying. Most the worst stuff came from Scot but Jason seems to get the most hate. I'm not even a fan, I just always think its weird when fandom's seem to completely jump on people or completely love people.

Big move by tai to not play his idol. Worked out though.

Bad move by Aubry not letting him flush it. Maybe not go all out and say use it, but she could have left it a little more open and let him feel less secure.

kirblar

He's a gigantic sore loser.

Audry had no way of knowing this- but keeping Tai close ensures her safety at F6 due to the double vote.

He's a gigantic sore loser.

This whole episode kind of said otherwise...

Again, that should mostly be put on Scot, but somehow Jason catches all the hate for it though. It was Scot that got bitchy with Alicia when the lost early on, they both hide all the tools, but it was Scot that put out the fire. Then this episode he takes a huge kick up the ass and he comes back and says good game, accepts an apology(then complains in confessional, which everyone does) and goes right back to playing, but Jason's the sore loser?

I just don't get it. It feels like people decide how to take someone and then that colors how they see everything else rather seeing everything for how its displayed.

Bad move by Aubry not letting him flush it. Maybe not go all out and say use it, but she could have left it a little more open and let him feel less secure.

Nah, I don't think it was a bad move. Him asking her on the middle of everything paints him as a coattail rider (but still a bigger threat because of the idol/advantage), she doesn't lie to him unnecessarily and confirms she's his number one. The idol and advantage are basically hers now if she doesn't blow it.

llehuty

Audry had no way of knowing this- but keeping Tai close ensures her safety at F6 due to the double vote.
He is also a bigger target than Aubry. Aubry now has Joe and Tai under her thumb, she has really played well her cards from the post-merge early days, but at the same time, it doesn't look like the others see her as a big threat.

Nah, I don't think it was a bad move. Him asking her on the middle of everything paints him as a coattail rider, she doesn't lie to him unnecessarily and confirms she's his number one. The idol and advantage are basically hers now if she doesn't blow it.

But she doesn't want to take him much farther because everyone sees him as a threat to get to the end both competition wise and to win. Sure she can still have the ability to use those but it's not going to help her get him out so it still goes against what she actually wants to do with him. The further she helps him advance the more likely he is going to be good in comps and makes it harder to get rid of him. She didn't have to tell him to use it but saying outright that she thinks he is safe makes it less likely. She could have at least said she didn't know and let the possibility of it being used still be open. He uses his idol he is still going to be seen as a threat because of the advantage. She is still going to have an in with him. All it does is make it more possible for him to go out which is what she ultimately wants.

kirblar

This whole episode kind of said otherwise...

Again, that should mostly be put on Scot, but somehow Jason catches all the hate for it though. It was Scot that got bitchy with Alicia when the lost early on, they both hide all the tools, but it was Scot that put out the fire. Then this episode he takes a huge kick up the ass and he comes back and says good game, accepts an apology(then complains in confessional, which everyone does) and goes right back to playing, but Jason's the sore loser?

I just don't get it. It feels like people decide how to take someone and then that colors how they see everything else rather seeing everything for how its displayed.
His reaction every time he has a setback is to lash out, whether its in confessional or blowing up camp, or shitting on Alecia. It's really ugly and mean-spirited.

His reaction every time he has a setback is to lash out, whether its in confessional or blowing up camp, or shitting on Alecia. It's really ugly and mean-spirited.

Even when they hid the tools and put out fire he never lashed out Scot was in the middle of camp with a fuck all pissed face and Jason was just laying around. Bitching in confessionals is what everyone does, that is literally what they're there for. The fact that he didn't do it to the people shows that he was smart. Yes he was a dick to Alicia, but it doesn't seem like he's been that much towards anyone else as most people seem to have an ok relationship with him. For all accounts Alicia could just be a hard person to get along with, but he still was a dick to her, sure. But like I said that one thing seems to color everything else he does and makes it look so much worse when really he hasn't been all that bad for a long time.

I still think he's pretty horrible at the game, I just don't see him as being some huge dick. He's cocky and can come off bad with how he says thing but the hate he gets just seems so damn overblown its ridiculous. If anything I'd say he had a good episode this week, but the people who hate him just look at his confessional and still say he's an asshole. It's just hilarious.

I don't even think Tai's such a big jury threat right now, though? He's a threat because comps/idols, but his "big move" directly pissed off two people, he asked for Aubry's guidance in front of everyone (when he ignored Julia last tribal), was called out as untrustworthy and fickle, didn't connect with anyone besides Scot on the jury so far... I think he'll have a really hard time convincing a jury, even if his 'moves' so far have been decent.

I'd love a Tai win, but I don't see him as one of the biggest threats right now actually.

Also, yeah, Jason didn't do the sabotage and had Scot do it for him. It was smart, but still petty haha.

I don't even think Tai's such a big jury threat right now, though? He's a threat because comps/idols, but his "big move" directly pissed off two people, he asked for Aubry's guidance in front of everyone (when he ignored Julia last tribal), was called out as untrustworthy and fickle, didn't connect with anyone besides Scot on the jury so far... I think he'll have a really hard time convincing a jury, even if his 'moves' so far have been decent.

I'd love a Tai win, but I don't see him as one of the biggest threats right now actually.

Also, yeah, Jason didn't do the sabotage and had Scot do it for him. It was smart, but still petty haha.

If you compare him to Aubrey I don't think he has a chance, but I think Aubrey would see him and Sid as her biggest threats. I also think he has a good chance against most the field except those two. Compared to the rest of the field though he has to be seen as a threat whether he really is or not. Outside of Scot, Julia and Jason I can't see too many people voting against him unless he's up against Aubrey.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Not at all. Its the best decision. If she forced him a bit more, he played and turns out he didn't need it. He'll be a bit spiteful and possibly use his advantage next week on her.

This way, he was forced to use his own decision and she still has him in his corner.

If it was me, I would take him as I said. If Aub dumps Cid, Jason, and Mich in the next 3. She has won. Joe has done nothing and Tai is so damn unlikable, maybe he can get a vote for playing idols, but outside of that. Its over.

Not at all. Its the best decision. If she forced him a bit more, he played and turns out he didn't need it. He'll be a bit spiteful and possibly use his advantage next week on her.

This way, he was forced to use his own decision and she still has him in his corner.

Like I said, you don't tell him to outright use it, but you don't make him feel completely safe. Just saying the words "I don't know" would make him feel less secure and there would be no way in the world he would blame her for that lol.

If it was me, I would take him as I said. If Aub dumps Cid, Jason, and Mich in the next 3. She has won. Joe has done nothing and Tai is so damn unlikable, maybe he can get a vote for playing idols, but outside of that. Its over.

What the hell season you watching?!

llehuty

Maybe there is a double read on Aubry telling him he is safe? Maybe she thought there was chance of him getting blindsided, she could've had him gone with all the game advantages with zero blood on her hands.

Maybe there is a double read on Aubry telling him he is safe? Maybe she thought there was chance of him getting blindsided, she could've had him gone with all the game advantages with zero blood on her hands.

Edit:Long winded because this is the one thing that stuck out on this episode that it doesn't seem like many people have picked up on or talked about.

Eh, it's possible, but everything that was shown from Michele and Sydney made it seem like there was never a chance of them ever flipping. I thought the whole edit of them possible flipping was so bad and reaching for just anything to not make this a straight forward episode. Sidney never said more than two words about ever flipping and who knows when Michele's talk with Julia ever actually happened. Plus how the talk went at the tribal council Jason and Julia weren't even talking like they ever thought Michele was on their side, though the edit tried to make it look like she was assumed on their side but secretly in the other alliance.

The tribal talk is what I actually thought was the most telling as to why there was never any actual doubt. If you look at the big alliance meeting early in the episode everyone talks like Michele and Julia are on Jason's side and that it's a solid 3 alliance or something but then when you get to tribal all they say constantly is 2 people on the outs. If that 3 people alliance was ever supposed to be believed wouldn't the big alliance be worried about Jason and Julia openly seeing Michele as not on their side? To me that would make it seem like Michele had told them what was going on and they were overselling on Michele flipping on them. The fact nothing was made of it made me think it was all pretty out in the open that Michele was never on that side. Not to mention how Michele has openly disliked Jason all season.

llehuty

^^^^
Fair enough, just trying to throw some scenarios. I had my doubts about Michelle, but yeah, it was probably the edit trying to put some drama in the episode.

I guess for me, I think Jason's a dick because Aubry and Michelle think he's a total tool, and they've been around him 24/7 and seem like nice, reasonable women who wouldn't just hate on the guy for nothing. Plus Scott likes him :p

Top Bottom