• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

This should be waiting for me when I get home from work today! I'm excited to play, though I'll probably get in some MvC3 first before I boot up my PSP.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder what the chances of the US PSN update for TO also including Vagrant Story are? Probably about nil.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Went to my stupid gamestop and they didn't get their stupid shipment in. Punks. Guess I will have to get addicted to MvC3, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Nif

Damn it. I'm too used to the way steam does it, and forgot that they only put games out once a week. My laptop is supposed to be getting here today, too.

Going to be a long day.

Saw in another thread that the shop doesn't show what you have on when buying new stuff

Say it isn't so gaf!

FFT had a great shop system. Don't tell me we've regressed!

daoster

HamPster PamPster said:
Saw in another thread that the shop doesn't show what you have on when buying new stuff

Say it isn't so gaf!

FFT had a great shop system. Don't tell me we've regressed!

Yeah, the equipment management system is a pain in the arse. Navigating around the skill system is a pain in the ass too.

Minsc

Gold Member
Worth Playing review (9.0/10):

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together may be a remake, but it's one of the best remakes out there. Every element of the game has been reexamined, polished and revitalized. Since the original game was a masterpiece in its own right, the new version goes above and beyond. Almost every change is for the best, and the result is one of the best strategy-RPGs on the market. It's not perfect, but most of the complaints are minor. The visuals could have used more updating, and the refined level mechanics are a step up from those in the original but could've used some further polishing. None of the problems detract from the fact that Tactics Ogre is a true classic and a must-have for any PSP owner with a fondness for strategy RPGs.

Looking good!

mattp

tried to pick up my copy at gamestop before work but they hadn't gotten the shipment in yet
now i cant stare at the box on my desk all day!

Looks like the guide isn't in today, so I'm just wondering, is there anything you can screw up or miss out on in the first 3 or 4 hours of the game?

Minsc

Gold Member
HamPster PamPster said:
:( :( :( :(

Come on, how can it be worse than FF:T?

I imagine that's how it was in the original? It sucks, but what can you do. Unless they removed a feature from the SNES/PSX TO versions, that's just how it always was.

duckroll

Erm, that's kinda sad to hear? The entire UI in Tactics Ogre was completely revamped for this release, with Minagawa specifically focusing on the aspect of improved menus, fonts, info display, etc. If there's a serious UI failure in the shop, that's very unfortunate and not something he should get a free pass for.

HamPster PamPster said:
:( :( :( :(

Come on, how can it be worse than FF:T?

No way to compare current equipment to whats in the shop. No way to tell what spells have been already learned by units. Crafting (unlocked in Chapt 2) is also a PITA. Theres also a shitton of menus within menus. Major inconveniences

The fact that you are managing a bunch of people makes it even more annoying. I'll deal with a shitty shop system when I'm dealing with 3 or 4 people but in a game where I have 10+ people to worry about poor shop and skill mechanics are inexcusable

Not to mention it seems like a huge step back from Tactics which is by many of the same people and made a decade ago and was pretty much perfect. You could always see how equipment compared and such

And to play this just coming off Two Worlds II... when will my interface nightmare end!

Minsc

Gold Member
duckroll said:
Erm, that's kinda sad to hear? The entire UI in Tactics Ogre was completely revamped for this release, with Minagawa specifically focusing on the aspect of improved menus, fonts, info display, etc. If there's a serious UI failure in the shop, that's very unfortunate and not something he should get a free pass for.

Definitely not a free pass, no. But I will feel a lot more annoyed if the original tactics ogre had that information, and it was removed in this remake.

Crimson Gem Saga is another game guilty of this, whenever you go to buy or sell items, you aren't told in the purchasing/selling screen how many of the item you have on hand, so you never really know how many to buy or sell without a lot of hassle.

Yaweee

Minsc said:
Definitely not a free pass, no. But I will feel a lot more annoyed if the original tactics ogre had that information, and it was removed in this remake.

Crimson Gem Saga is another game guilty of this, whenever you go to buy or sell items, you aren't told in the purchasing/selling screen how many of the item you have on hand, so you never really know how many to buy or sell without a lot of hassle.

I disgustingly large number of modern RPGs have super tedious purchasing or unit management screens. FFTA2 was nearly crippled by its terrible Judge Battle and Bazaar interface issues, and Wild Arms XF had some of the most annoying character customization (completely unequips their usable items, equipped gear, and equipped skills upon class change) of any SRPG that I've played.

Yaweee said:
Does that mean that you can waste points re-buying things that you already have?

Magic system is a little different than FFT. Its actually more similar to FFXII in a way. Certain classes will have skills that will allow them to use magic of a certain element (ie: Dark magic, air, magic, fire magic, etc). Once you have the appropriate skill, you then must buy scrolls from the shop to learn a spell of that element. So you'd have to buy the Deadshot scroll from the shop to use the basic air element attacking spell, head out of shop and into the party menu, select your mage or whatever, go into magic, learn, then click on the scroll. After a while, though, its hard keeping up with what spells you've learned with what units.
Its not a HUGE deal though, as scrolls can be used by anyone in battle to use that particular spell, even if you can't use magic normally.

Oh yeah, and auto-equip is mostly crappy.

Minsc said:

Was just playing an iphone action rpg that does this same thing (Queen's Crown) and to top it off it has a crafting system where you need specific numbers of items but when I go to buy the item I don't know how many I have nor how many the crafting requires

Sometimes I wonder if game designers even bother to play games because given that its 2011 this stuff should be fixed by now but its still wide spread

duckroll

Yaweee said:
I disgustingly large number of modern RPGs have super tedious purchasing or unit management screens. FFTA2 was nearly crippled by its terrible Judge Battle and Bazaar interface issues, and Wild Arms XF had some of the most annoying character customization (completely unequips their usable items, equipped gear, and equipped skills upon class change) of any SRPG that I've played.

Well to be fair, class changing in Wild Arms XF is akin to basically selecting another character. What would have made it a lot better would be if the game stored in memory the set up you have for each class, so when you switch between classes it automatically goes back to the previously equipped items and gear on that class.

Yaweee

duckroll said:
Well to be fair, class changing in Wild Arms XF is akin to basically selecting another character. What would have made it a lot better would be if the game stored in memory the set up you have for each class, so when you switch between classes it automatically goes back to the previously equipped items and gear on that class.

Well, there's no reason for it to dump usable healing items, and it should be what the FFT games have done for skills-- only dump from the slot if it is something the class you've changed to already had. Why can't it just unequip if it would be useless, rather than dumping everything? Or do an Optimum mechanic for equipment?

duckroll

Yaweee said:
Well, there's no reason for it to dump usable healing items, and it should be what the FFT games have done for skills-- only dump from the slot if it is something the class you've changed to already had. Why can't it just unequip if it would be useless, rather than dumping everything? Or do an Optimum mechanic for equipment?

Clearly the plan was to force the player to invest more time into making customization decisions each time they changed the class of a character before battles to artificially extend the length of the game!

Yaweee

duckroll said:
Clearly the plan was to force the player to invest more time into making customization decisions each time they changed the class of a character before battles to artificially extend the length of the game!

It worked! I'm playing the game indefinitely! (Stuck on 2-4... forever)

It's especially tedious with how many missions essentially force you in to specific classes.

duckroll

Yaweee said:
It worked! I'm playing the game indefinitely! (Stuck on 2-4... forever)

It's especially tedious with how many missions essentially force you in to specific classes.

I really like that aspect of the game though. The core design of XF makes it one of the more original and unique SRPGs in this decade. Lots of unique mission objectives, innovative use of the entire range of classes, etc.

Must better than the gather-and-pound gameplay found in the majority of SRPGs, along with "kill all enemies" and "get to the end of the map" as objectives.

Couple questions, who is the guy that wears all red and has the red hat, is he missable, and how do I get him on my team? Also, is he good in battle?

Yaweee

robotzombie said:
Couple questions, who is the guy that wears all red and has the red hat, is he missable, and how do I get him on my team? Also, is he good in battle?

Diego, new character, a pirate, has a Beowulf-style sidequest chain and dungeon to recruit him. No idea whether he is good in battle or not.

duckroll said:
I really like that aspect of the game though. The core design of XF makes it one of the more original and unique SRPGs in this decade. Lots of unique mission objectives, innovative use of the entire range of classes, etc.

Must better than the gather-and-pound gameplay found in the majority of SRPGs, along with "kill all enemies" and "get to the end of the map" as objectives.

The class system is great, with tons and tons of interesting and unique classes, but the mission design is frustrating. So many instant failure conditions angers me, either stealth-turn-based-action, or things like 2-4 that seem ridiculously over-constrained and results in game overs beyond my control (I need to critical condition the enemy without killing them, and there's a time limit, and I can't have any party members die, and there's reinforcements, but the critical enemies attack, and get countered, and killed, and I fail, andI have to restart the mission for 25th time, and I cry)

EDIT: And in other old-SRPG related news, Saiyuki: Journey to the West was put on to the PSN today for $6. I don't think I ever finished it before selling it, but it was reasonably entertaining and sometimes blatantly inspired by FFT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFdUzAs_FCQ&feature=related

taoofjord

I'm loving the game so far. Definitely worried about the inability to compare equipment but I'll live with it. The menus, for the most part, are incredible though. They're gorgeous and full of information that scratch that nerd itch of mine that hasn't been touched in years.

taoofjord said:
I'm loving the game so far. Definitely worried about the inability to compare equipment but I'll live with it. The menus, for the most part, are incredible though. They're gorgeous and full of information that scratch that nerd itch of mine that hasn't been touched in years.

Hold Square and pressing left or right will change the window in the shop menu to let you know what units can or cannot equip what. Its not as convenient as an outfitter in FFT, but it helps.

taoofjord

Pinko Marx said:
Hold Square and pressing left or right will change the window in the shop menu to let you know what units can or cannot equip what. Its not as convenient as an outfitter in FFT, but it helps.

I know about that and it does help...but I'd still like to see stat comparisons before/after equipping the weapon/armor from the shop. In the end, it's not a big deal, the game is brilliant so far.

Also, as I had hoped the story is great. Though it reamins to be seen if it'll be on the level of VS and FFT. Can anyone comment on how it holds up to those?

timnich

Is there a strategy guide (printed copy) available for this game? I want to read up a bit on the mechanics and stuff before the game goes on sale on psn.

Vigilance

timnich said:
Is there a strategy guide (printed copy) available for this game? I want to read up a bit on the mechanics and stuff before the game goes on sale on psn.

There is a BradyGames strategy guide for it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Repost:

bXe0n.jpg

I managed to swag two tarot sets. One for future-telling, one for selling at an inflated price on eBay.

Yaweee

taoofjord said:
I know about that and it does help...but I'd still like to see stat comparisons before/after equipping the weapon/armor from the shop. In the end, it's not a big deal, the game is brilliant so far.

Also, as I had hoped the story is great. Though it reamins to be seen if it'll be on the level of VS and FFT. Can anyone comment on how it holds up to those?

The story is about as good, but with a less brilliant ending than the other two games. The branching aspect and insane variations for various characters is fascinating in a way that neither of the other games are. However, the remake adds a shitload of new scenes, so who knows how much it has been improved? It still keeps the same "3 general endings + many variations" as the original.

Ikkarus

Must not see the tarot cards.....
Urge to buy them is rising....

Can't believe I have to wait until next Friday for this game in the EU. :(
Glad to be hearing positive things about the game, has anyone got the strategy guide?

If so how good/bad is it?

NeoForte

Curious, has anyone using CFW had the game freeze at the black screen and then shut off the PSP when you start the battle at the gates?

Top Bottom