• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Im_Special

Have they allowed us to organize the units this time around in a manual order? In the original games we had options like sort by number, level, hp, mp, etc, and that was one of the very few grips I had with the game, hope this was remedied. Please say I don't have to fill my army this time around full of generics.

My Gamestop order hasn't even shipped yet despite me pre-ordering it a month ago. Plus it's status (along with the tarot cards) is listed as backordered despite the fact that they are still advertising it as in stock on their web site. X_X

Yaweee

Im_Special said:
Have they allowed us to organize the units this time around in a manual order? In the original games we had options like sort by number, level, hp, mp, etc, and that was one of the very few grips I had with the game, hope this was remedied. Please say I don't have to fill my army this time around full of generics.

1) Why does it matter?
2) Your default layout at the pre-battle placement screen carries over from battle to battle.

Im_Special said:

You can sort them manually now, and even renumber your units. IIRC it's pretty similar to what you could do in the GBA game.

epmode

DMPrince said:
in 5 hours.
Are you just guessing? I've never waited around for a PSN update and I'm kind of amazed that it's not ready to go first thing in the morning as it is with Microsoft.

Skilletor

Got mine with the nice tarot cards. :)

UI is frikkin' slick in this game.

The font isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would.

<3 <3 <3 Matsuno

ALL HAIL MATSUNO

epmode said:
Are you just guessing? I've never waited around for a PSN update and I'm kind of amazed that it's not ready to go first thing in the morning as it is with Microsoft.

It's generally between 3 and 5 PM PST, but can be later sometimes.

duckroll said:
I really like that aspect of the game though. The core design of XF makes it one of the more original and unique SRPGs in this decade. Lots of unique mission objectives, innovative use of the entire range of classes, etc.

Must better than the gather-and-pound gameplay found in the majority of SRPGs, along with "kill all enemies" and "get to the end of the map" as objectives.
We're in agreement there Mr. Duckroll. Wild Arms XF is on my list of recommended tactics games.

epmode said:
Scea has a shit schedule when they push out content. Its up to them. Byt its always pushed out around this time but theyve been late. You have to give them 2 extra hours. If we're lucky they give themselves 2 more hours when an issue arises and they dont tell anyone until at least 4 hours has elapsed from their usual update time

The suicidal AI is as bad as ever in rescue missions. I don't look forward to saving Haborym.
Thank god for healing scrolls, fast units (especially Canopus) rushing forward and using them to heal the guests makes these missions much less painful.

taoofjord

I'm getting my ass handed to me already (the, i believe, 5th mission. the one with the
necromancer and his undead army
). Time to do a bit of leveling before taking that guy down.

taoofjord said:
I'm getting my ass handed to me already (the, i believe, 5th mission. the one with the
necromancer and his undead army
). Time to do a bit of leveling before taking that guy down.

That was easily the most difficult battle in chapter one. The enemies there are actually a higher level than the next few story battles. It is optional though, with the only reward being a title.

Basileus777 said:
The suicidal AI is as bad as ever in rescue missions. I don't look forward to saving Haborym.
Thank god for healing scrolls, fast units (especially Canopus) rushing forward and using them to heal the guests makes these missions much less painful.

I know exactly what mission you're talking about, and yes, thank the Dynast King for Canopus.

B.K.

It's been years since I last played Tactics Ogre. How do you completely destroy undead units so they won't revive?

Need a cleric with the Exorcism spell. If you don't have that, then just carry some scrolls with you that have the spell. When they "die" use the spell on them and they'll be gone for good.

B.K. said:
It's been years since I last played Tactics Ogre. How do you completely destroy undead units so they won't revive?

You have to cast the exorcism spell on them, but unlike the original, you have to use it after they are already "dead."

Phatcorns

Fry's has the game for 34.99 till the 17th if anyone has one near them. I picked it up with 999, which is actually 29.99 there.

So did anybody else immediately remove Lans' special sword the second he joins you as a guest?
trollface.png

Okay, some questions:

1. There is a guide on Gamefaqs that is about getting 100% everything. They talk a lot about dialog that crops up during battle based on conditions. Do you actually get anything for triggering this dialog? Like if you get X boss to X% health, or bring a certain character into a certain battle? Does this unlock anything (characters, story paths) or is it just for the sake of the dialog?

2. Do I have to pick a certain path in order to get Diego? If so, which one?

3. Since you get more class exp from having more of the same class in battle, is the idea to have a small group of classes rather than have every character be a different class? Or is that unnecessary?

4. Speaking of classes leveling up, how does this work for unique PC's with unique classes? I'm getting unique PC's with normal classes would be the same level as that class?

5. Are there items on random squares in battle? If so, are there important ones? Stuff you shouldn't miss, like awesome weapons, a'la FFT?

6. Is there any way to "screw up" the stats/etc of your characters? Like if I level up Denam too long as a certain class, he will become less effective later on?

I think thats all my questions for now, sorry for the bombardment

1) I believe there is atleast one character who you can only get by having a complete battle conversation. To have the conversation in the first place you need to bring a specific character.

Mazre

=( Skunked by FedEx. They won't leave stuff at my door for some reason, UPS will and 95% of my Amazon orders are filled by UPS, the exceptions generally being larger items. Naturally I got home after my leasing office had close so I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow.

robotzombie said:
1. There is a guide on Gamefaqs that is about getting 100% everything. They talk a lot about dialog that crops up during battle based on conditions. Do you actually get anything for triggering this dialog? Like if you get X boss to X% health, or bring a certain character into a certain battle? Does this unlock anything (characters, story paths) or is it just for the sake of the dialog?

Most of the time the dialogue is just extra stuff that isn't necessary for anything. In a few instances
to get Oxyones and Ravness I believe you need to bring Jenounces to a certain battle. In the original you definitely had to do it for Oxyones and it seems Ravness is the same.

3. Since you get more class exp from having more of the same class in battle, is the idea to have a small group of classes rather than have every character be a different class? Or is that unnecessary?
It's really unnecessary to have a small group of classes. There seems to be some exp multiplier based on some factor of your level and the level of the enemies you are fighting. This is why it's really easy to level up party members much lower than you. The game isn't difficult enough to require that type of power grinding anyway.

4. Speaking of classes leveling up, how does this work for unique PC's with unique classes? I'm getting unique PC's with normal classes would be the same level as that class?
I think these unique classes start at level 1 in these cases. But it's not a huge issue because you can catch them up fairly quick. I changed two of my characters to level one classes in chapter 2, and soon enough they were a smilar level as the rest of my team.

5. Are there items on random squares in battle? If so, are there important ones? Stuff you shouldn't miss, like awesome weapons, a'la FFT?
There are items like that. I'm not sure how useful they are.

6. Is there any way to "screw up" the stats/etc of your characters? Like if I level up Denam too long as a certain class, he will become less effective later on?
I think you'd have to do something pretty extreme to screw over Denam. Leveling in a class slowly increases your base stats and it takes a lot of levels for it to be noticeable. The bigger danger is screwing over someone you recruit late and don't use in battle by not leaving anything for the character to level up in.

Crakatak187 said:
I did 3 times :(

Wait, you get to keep it? I assumed it was like the original and you couldn't take off his items.

Basileus777 said:
Wait, you get to keep it? I assumed it was like the original and you couldn't take off his items.

I equipped it during the second fight. Denam had enough attack power that his critical hit almost one-shotted the boss when attacking from behind.

Edit: What should I name my Order?

Pinko Marx said:
The order of dickbutt, obviously.

Too late. I already decided to go for a Vagrant Story reference with Holy Win.

I'm sure that's a fine Order though.

Edit: He does take it back. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Shouta

Pinko Marx said:
No way to compare current equipment to whats in the shop. No way to tell what spells have been already learned by units. Crafting (unlocked in Chapt 2) is also a PITA. Theres also a shitton of menus within menus. Major inconveniences

There's no direct way to compare which classes have learned what spell but you can tell how many members of your party have learned it. So it isn't too hard to figure out from there.

As for weapons, you should be able to see the weapon's stats by hitting square and then pressing right or left when you've selected it in the shop menu. It should give you a list of the skills the weapon has if anyone, who can equip it, and I think the stats.

There are certainly elements of the UI that could use some improvement but it's pretty usable. I will agree with crafting though, Crafting is too much work, needs to let you do it in bulk.

Yaweee

zomfg ingame screenshots with start+R? Hell yes

The game is so much faster than the other Tactics games, even more than FFT. Hell, this is like 4x compared to FFTA2. The survey quest in that made me want to shoot myself.

taoofjord

God I'm loving this game so much. I'm getting the same "HOLY CRAP THIS IS SO FUN" feeling that I've only gotten from a few select games (Final Fantasy Tactics being one of them). I really hope Matsuno starts working on a new game soon.

Yaweee

Perfect. I CHOOSE YOU fits exactly for my monster team name. To list the various recruit abilities from earlier in the thread:

Wizard / Wtich : Persuade - Reptile (level 5)
Needed for Lizardman and Lamia.

Cleric : Persuade - Human (level 5), Contract - Holy Spirits (level 10)
Holy spirits is for Divine Knight. Nothing to do with Fairies.

Rune Fencer / Valkyrie : Persuade - Human (level 5)
Knight : Persuade - Human (level 5)

Beast Tamer : Train - Beast (level 5), Train - Dragon (level 7)
Beast is for monsters you will encounter, Griffon, Octopus, Cylopse etc.
Dragon is for Dragons.

Warlock / Siren : Control - Doll (level 1)
Needed for Golems.

Necromancer : Rule - Undeads (level ?)
Needed for Ghost and Skeletons.

Lich : Contract - Demon (level ?)
Gremlin and Orcs use this skill, and Lich is only job that learn the skill..

Valtan or Shaman : Contract - Spirit (level 5)
Needed for Fairy.

epmode said:
I hope PSN gets hit by a truck. Hurry up already.

DMPrince said:
Scea has a shit schedule when they push out content. Its up to them. Byt its always pushed out around this time but theyve been late. You have to give them 2 extra hours. If we're lucky they give themselves 2 more hours when an issue arises and they dont tell anyone until at least 4 hours has elapsed from their usual update time

just wait for the ps blog update about problem or check twitter to complete this.

Top Bottom