• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Okay, I tend to like physical type characters, especially stylish ones. In general I like samurai, dragoons, all different types of cool warriors. In terms of characters you can only get on one path or the other, which path (Law, Neutral, Chaos) would you suggest so I could get cool characters that fit my style? Luckily Diego seems to be gotten no matter the path, so I'm happy with that

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Got it!

$39, damn! But how could I say no?
(okay, granted, my limited experience with the Ogre series, see: Ogre Battle SNES, was so poor it turned me off from the entire series, HOWEVER... FFT and War of Lions are like Top 3 all time, so heeeeeeeere weeeeeeee goooooo)

What the goddamn fuck! I'm getting "credit card info is not valid" with 2 different cards!

edit: weird, it works fine on PS3. 0% and 434 minutes left....

Blast Processing said:
What the goddamn fuck! I'm getting "credit card info is not valid" with 2 different cards!
is it the right billing address? like have you gotten it changed or is it the same card you used before?

Minsc

Gold Member
Tarot cards are very sweet, love how the intro questions are random too, and it's nice having the cards you see in the intro. Game is top notch so far. Can't wait to dive in more this weekend, hopefully! :)

709zzy

Banned
Is anyone able to level up any of the character base stats?
I wonder if the English version is similar to the Japanese one in terms of
the leveling system.

709zzy said:
Is anyone able to level up any of the character base stats?
I wonder if the English version is similar to the Japanese one in terms of
the leveling system.

I checked against an earlier save, and the base stats definitely increase. It's just not a very fast process. The characters who leveled up more, such as Denam who started as a Knight and later leveled up as a Ninja from level 1, had the largest increases.

Guys, ill be honest. I loved FFTA but had a ton of trouble with war of the lions. I could only get a couple hours into the game before getting my ass kicked and having no way to grind. Will i be able to enjoy this "remake" if its as old school as FFT? Im updating my psp go firmware right now to download it but im scared. Im scared im throwing that money away to never touch it again after 2 hours like i am kind of doing right now with NiTN.

careful

Gamer @ Heart said:
Guys, ill be honest. I loved FFTA but had a ton of trouble with war of the lions. I could only get a couple hours into the game before getting my ass kicked and having no way to grind. Will i be able to enjoy this "remake" if its as old school as FFT? Im updating my psp go firmware right now to download it but im scared. Im scared im throwing that money away to never touch it again after 2 hours like i am kind of doing right now with NiTN.
Where did you get stuck in FFT? The beginning can be a bit tough, but it wasn't that bad. Maybe you weren't using an optimal strategy?

Yaweee

Gamer @ Heart said:

I won't say it isn't as hard as FFT, but a few things:

1) Chapter 1 of FFT was easily its hardest stretch of battles.
2) You can rewind in the middle of battle instantly, so losing isn't as frustrating.

Yaweee

Blast Processing said:
Maybe this is a stupid question, but what benefit does the install process give when the whole game is already on the memory stick (PSN download)?

It actually makes it worse

Wazzim

Banned
DL done, all I can say: It's fucking beautiful. And the flag at the end of a battle must be one of the most impressive things on the psp lol.

Seda

Got the game from Amazon today.

Before I start, anything I should know from the get go to get the most out of this game? And are there any significant "missables"?

Seda said:
Got the game from Amazon today.

Before I start, anything I should know from the get go to get the most out of this game? And are there any significant "missables"?

Nothing is really "missable" because of the wheel of fate system, which lets you replay earlier parts of the game once you've finished it. But yeah, there are characters and sidequests you can miss, especially in chapters 3 and 4. There's actually a decent guide for that here.

Seda

Basileus777 said:
Nothing is really "missable" because of the wheel of fate system, which lets you replay earlier parts of the game once you've finished it. But yeah, there are characters and sidequests you can miss, especially in chapters 3 and 4. There's actually a decent guide for that here.

Thanks. I usually don't like following guides, but this seems convenient enough.

Basileus777 said:
What's the deal with characters 'having something to say'? Does it unlock sidequests or something?

Seda

BlazingDarkness said:
What's the deal with characters 'having something to say'? Does it unlock sidequests or something?

The guide writer (Last Cetra) says that he includes "...the conditions for dialogues to take place in each battle". Looks like many don't do anything. Fire Emblem games have a lot of these.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yaweee said:
2) You can rewind in the middle of battle instantly, so losing isn't as frustrating.

Doesn't that count against the "no one KO/died" title? Or is that just reloading the battle to make it right?

Is this different from the initial install that the game does when you download it?

Yes. The PSN version installs/decompresses and removes the download stuff to where it's smaller than the initial download package is due to DRM/game stuff in it.

Installing the data while the game is already on the memory stick probably won't do anything given it's loading from the stick. Think Halo 3 being installed on the 360 when it's designed to be streamed from the disc. Probably makes things worse. I wouldn't use it, personally.

BlazingDarkness said:

Some of it is required to recruit certain characters, but mostly it's just optional dialogue. I've only played the Law path so far and on that route, the only thing I've found essential
is a bunch of Jeunan's dialogue in chapter 3. It's needed if you want to recruit Ravness. If it's like the original, this dialogue is needed t recruit Oxyones too.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The leveling mechanic in this game seems awfully exploitable. If I'm understanding this correctly:

- Classes gain experience at the end of battle, and the more members of that class that participated in the battle, the more experience is gained.

- When a class levels up after a battle all members of that class that participated in the battle get a permanent stat increase.

- Class level ups are permanent, and any character who changes to that class in the future will be whatever the level of the class is, even if they are a just-recruited neophyte still wet behind the ears.

Given all that, it really seems like the game wants the player to maximize the number of members of a single class in every battle. If you take that idea to its logical end and make all 12 members of your battle party the same class then not only are you gaining class levels more quickly, you're also getting a stat gain for every single member of the battle party every time the class gains a level.

Unless I'm missing something or the game throws in a confounding factor at some point this seems like a system that massively rewards grinding.

Which is a prospect that I have absolutely no objection to.

Yaweee

ixix said:
The leveling mechanic in this game seems awfully exploitable. If I'm understanding this correctly:

- Classes gain experience at the end of battle, and the more members of that class that participated in the battle, the more experience is gained.

- When a class levels up after a battle all members of that class that participated in the battle get a permanent stat increase.

- Class level ups are permanent, and any character who changes to that class in the future will be whatever the level of the class is, even if they are a just-recruited neophyte still wet behind the ears.

Given all that, it really seems like the game wants the player to maximize the number of members of a single class in every battle. If you take that idea to its logical end and make all 12 members of your battle party the same class then not only are you gaining class levels more quickly, you're also getting a stat gain for every single member of the battle party every time the class gains a level.

Unless I'm missing something or the game throws in a confounding factor at some point this seems like a system that massively rewards grinding.

Which is a prospect that I have absolutely no objection to.

The permanent stat increase with each level really isn't that big, and there's the increasing amount of exp per level to contend with.

ixix

But it seems to me that the increase being small makes it even more conducive to grinding. The smaller the individual increase the more increases a character needs for them to make a noticeable difference, meaning that maximizing the number of increases each character receives becomes even more important.

The increasing experience is a con, it's true, but any old hand at grinding is well used to contending with it, and at this point I don't particularly view that as an inherent negative so much as I view it as a challenge to be accepted and overcome.

Enemy levels don't scale with you infinitely on your first playthrough. On story battles, there is very little scaling at all. I imagine you'd reach a point fairly early where you stop gaining meaningful experience even with the benefits of using all the same class.

The game isn't really difficult enough to make that sort of grinding worthwhile. There's no real incentive to do it unless you're a completionist who wants all his characters' base stats maxed at 100.

Let me get this straight.

So if I made everybody the same class and max that out and repeat that for the next class my main character will be beasting?

I'm too far ahead to start over. I'll do it for the next playthrough.

Varth

If I remember correctly, in fft I was able to check which place in the turn list I would end up by performing a certain action. Is there a way to do that here? So far is the most annoying problem for me.

Varth said:
If I remember correctly, in fft I was able to check which place in the turn list I would end up by performing a certain action. Is there a way to do that here? So far is the most annoying problem for me.

There are no charged abilities in this game, so I'm not sure why you would need a list like that.

The turn order is shown on the bottom of the screen.

ixix

Basileus777 said:
Enemy levels don't scale with you infinitely on your first playthrough. On story battles, there is very little scaling at all. I imagine you'd reach a point fairly early where you stop gaining meaningful experience even with the benefits of using all the same class.

The game isn't really difficult enough to make that sort of grinding worthwhile. There's no real incentive to do it unless you're a completionist who wants all his characters' base stats maxed at 100.

I should note that I'm not pursuing this avenue of inquiry because I'm afraid that the game's difficulty will prove more than I can handle, but rather because I want to ensure that Warren Moon Jumbledlastname dutifully records my exploits for posterity as "Textiles McJeanyjeans and the Curbstompin' Campaign for Walisterian Independence."

Essentially when the game is done and the credits are rolling I want to be secure in the knowledge that Den(i/a)m will be recalled by future generations as a folk hero on par with Johnny Appleseed, but instead of apple trees he will be remembered for planting genocide.

Top Bottom