• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Ugh, I honestly can't proceed past the intro without being afraid of every single decision I make. I feel like I'm going to screw something up at every turn. I really wish the guide wasn't delayed...

On a side note, does Denam's sprite ever change like Ramza's does? Or does he look the same throughout the game?

I know I'm a bit lttp, but I just picked up my copy. Walked into Gamestop on a whim and no pre-order. Great thing is not only did I get the game, they also gave my the tarot cards. Sweetness. They're pretty awesome.

robotzombie said:
Ugh, I honestly can't proceed past the intro without being afraid of every single decision I make. I feel like I'm going to screw something up at every turn. I really wish the guide wasn't delayed...

On a side note, does Denam's sprite ever change like Ramza's does? Or does he look the same throughout the game?

Theres no wrong route bro. And after your first playthru you can go back to any point in time and pick a different option. Just play and enjoy.

timnich

I've played like 10 hours already! God this game is addictive!

One question though. I've found marks for the dark knight, rouge and ninja. What is the best way to level those up to match my teams current levels? Should I make a temporary team of only the classes I want to level up (ie. I have 3 of each mark, so I would make a team of 3 ninjas, 3 dark knights and 3 rouges) and just grind it out in random battles until they match the rest of my team?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ixix said:
All the item bags are picked up at the end of the battle. That goes for bags dropped by the boss as well as bags dropped by regular enemies that you don't have somebody pick up.

Really? People on GameFAQs say they aren't. The tarots aren't picked up either.

Mixed messages. :/ I guess I shouldn't put myself in danger if that's the case?

So long as you have 1-3 healers and decent defense on your characters and don't send mages/healers/archers to the front lines: Don't worry about your choices.

Shouta

TheSeks said:
Wait wait wait...

If I unequip the skill, I lose the skill? Or is that a Japanese/English lost in translation thing to say: If you unequip the skill, your finishing move learned is unequipped as well?

You shouldn't lose anything by equipping a skill.

TheSeks said:
I picked one up in that mandatory to open random battles, battle. I haven't equipped it yet as I've had my part stock with the exception of learning healing spells so far. Maybe I should try it out...

My major gripe is killing the big bad dude, seeing his sack/death item drop and you can't pick it up. Is that given at the end, if not: WTF. :/

Yeah, I never tried it in the JP version but being able to hit 5 enemies in a tight-knit area at once with a Cbow sounds nice.

Boss sack items are part of the loot you receive at the end, you can easily test this by killing just a boss and seeing what drops at the end versus killing all the enemies and leaving the bags for the end.

timnich said:
I've played like 10 hours already! God this game is addictive!

One question though. I've found marks for the dark knight, rouge and ninja. What is the best way to level those up to match my teams current levels? Should I make a temporary team of only the classes I want to level up (ie. I have 3 of each mark, so I would make a team of 3 ninjas, 3 dark knights and 3 rouges) and just grind it out in random battles until they match the rest of my team?

Just stick em in your current party and they'll catch up soon enough.

TheSeks said:
Really? People on GameFAQs say they aren't. The tarots aren't picked up either.

Mixed messages. :/ I guess I shouldn't put myself in danger if that's the case?

Tarots aren't picked up, bags are.

TheSeks

Pinko Marx said:
Tarots aren't picked up, bags are.

Goddamn it. I've been doing it like FFT where you have to run your ass over to the bags/crystals to get them before the end of the battle.

Now that I know I only have to risk my neck for the tarot cards and can wait for the crap item bags to sell (unless they have awesome things like the crossbow) that makes it easier for me to not worry about falling/dying for the title. :|

TheSeks said:
Goddamn it. I've been doing it like FFT where you have to run your ass over to the bags/crystals to get them before the end of the battle.

Now that I know I only have to risk my neck for the tarot cards and can wait for the crap item bags to sell (unless they have awesome things like the crossbow) that makes it easier for me to not worry about falling/dying for the title. :|
fuck me. i've been bag chasing so far. :lol

Shouta

Bag chasing isn't too bad if you're running low on meds during a battle and need some. Or in some cases, you may get some items that provide some good buffs. Also, if an enemy lands on a bag, you lose the items so it's sometimes good to go after them if you know an enemy will have a chance of dropping a certain item like the Vartan Marks.

On that note, items are really good in TO now because you don't have to carry them or something stupid so using them helps a lot. My healers usually would start a battle off restoring their MP so I could cast Haste to increase my turn speed.

Shouta

Oh, spells. Well, it ultimately depends on what you want to do with what characters. Attack spells in each of the elements are equivalent to each other. What varies is the secondary spells that come in them and the debuffs or buffs they provide. I usually had one or two dedicated casters so I'd have them specialize in one or two elements and swap spells skills when needed.

Light magic is by far the most useful in the game but items are usable now so some of its potency has been mitigated (also because spells have caps in amount cured I think). However, Light magic also has Exorcism and later on Resurrection and Haste, really important skills IMO.

TheSeks

Wait, there's a heal cap? So I shouldn't be spamming heal every chance I get like a mad man?

TheSeks said:
Wait, there's a heal cap? So I shouldn't be spamming heal every chance I get like a mad man?

I believe that the max number of HP healed is what's capped. Healing spells don't heal as much as they did in the original because of this. Though attacks seem to do less damage as a whole, so it's not really a big deal.

Enron said:
complete Tactics Ogre noob here

What arcana do I need for early game?

Shouta halp

All the arcana have your basic attacking spells, but each one has a buff and a debuff.
Air is the most useless element, imo. Water, Fire, Earth, Lightning, and Dark are all good elements for mages. Water has an AOE heal, though it isn't as strong as the heal Clerics can use and a poison spell. Earth has a +def buff, and a slow debuff. Lightning has a paralyze. Fire has a weaken and a strengthen spell. Dark, is my personal favorite element. It has a drain hp, drain mp, paralyze, sleep, and a poison spell. I would DEFINITELY go for Dark magic first. I personally would focus on just two elements on your mages.

TheSeks

Teknoman said:
Wow, had no idea Tactics Ogre had a screenshot feature. Can you import them to your PC?

If it's like Metal Gear Solid 5, yeah. Through the USB feature as they're saved under the /photo/ file of the XMB.

I have Dark on the default mage you're given from the dude you free at the start. His stun hasn't really been impressive, IMO. But I'm more an element/damage person than a debuffer as generally in J/SRPG's the debuffs are practically useless. :/

Yaweee

TheSeks said:
If it's like Metal Gear Solid 5, yeah. Through the USB feature as they're saved under the /photo/ file of the XMB.

Yup, that works. the USB charger for PS3 cables fits in the 2000s.

TheSeks

Yaweee said:
Yup, that works. the USB charger for PS3 cables fits in the 2000s.

That fits all PSP's at it's standard mini-USB.

TheSeks said:

I have Dark on the default mage you're given from the dude you free at the start. His stun hasn't really been impressive, IMO. But I'm more an element/damage person than a debuffer as generally in J/SRPG's the debuffs are practically useless. :/

Dark has damage as well as debuff. The drain HP spell has been particularly useful. And poison is awesome against high HP units. Its been practically indispensable for me.

TheSeks

Pinko Marx said:
Dark has damage as well as debuff. The drain HP spell has been particularly useful. And poison is awesome against high HP units. Its been practically indispensable for me.

Maybe it's because I'm not far in the game yet and don't have more Dark Spells. But the stun one that my mage has by default is practically useless, IMO.

That poison and drain HP sounds like it could've been useful in this random battle I just had where the archers would heal themselves and others. Annoying bastards. :|

Shouta

Yes, each healing a cap on how much it heals for (or a max) so unless you use the Cleric's TP to double it, it doesn't change. It's still very good but Clerics aren't your lifeline in TO anymore.

TheSeks said:

Debuffs are very good for the most part.

TheSeks

So the way for healing to go instead of the norm "spam the healing magic" is to "spam the healing items" now?

Also running into dragons/"lizardmen" in random battles. FFFFFFFFF.

Shouta

TheSeks said:
So the way for healing to go instead of the norm "spam the healing magic" is to "spam the healing items" now?

Also running into dragons/"lizardmen" in random battles. FFFFFFFFF.

You can do both. It's just that you won't always have to rely on Clerics to do it for you like it was in the original TO. Also, the Item Slingshot is awesome, highly recommended for mages one-handing a stave.

Crakatak187 said:
Do those tarot cards picked up in battle give permanent base stats?

Yes, typically it takes a few cards to get a bonus though because the cards themselves give small bonuses like .5 or something similar.

Yaweee

It always disappoints me when I realize that the AI in SRPGs never directly tries to kill me, or even win fights. Simple damage maximization? Is that really all the AI is programmed to do?

Well, okay, that, and some slight equivalence for healing at some coefficient.

Mercutio

This game is just awesome. Someone said earlier something about a game that finally felt "right" after FFT, despite trying a ton of other SRPGs since. I totally concur.

The only thing that is just so god damned frustrating is the "guest" AI. It has absolutely no sense of preservation, and any mission where you have to save someone is mind numbingly awful. It's not my fault they're so stupid... why should I be punished with a Game Over? I sincerely feel like it's a foolish mistake to not give me control over said "guest."

TheSeks

Now that I know bags are picked up (unless stolen by the enemy) at the end of battle, shit has gotten a lot easier/less nervewrecking to preserve my units with the exception of archers and ranged users verses my mage and archers. Oh god the HP loss and spamming magic to make sure they don't fall and die for the titles. D: D: D: D: D:

No tarots yet outside of two one of which I picked up and the other I didn't because the battle ended faster than I could get to it. :(

Edit: Now to test my might/skills against the Necromancer that's infamous after two days. D:

Yaweee

Mercutio said:
The only thing that is just so god damned frustrating is the "guest" AI. It has absolutely no sense of preservation, and any mission where you have to save someone is mind numbingly awful. It's not my fault they're so stupid... why should I be punished with a Game Over? I sincerely feel like it's a foolish mistake to not give me control over said "guest."

If you're referring to Cistina,

1) Choose the "don't save her" option so you don't auto-fail when she dies, allowing you to CHARIOT back if you swing that way.
2) Unequip armor from Vyce and Leonard, so they'll run in and act as decoys. The enemy AI doesn't give a fuck about winning the battle or killing Cistina; it just wants to hit soft targets to make big damage numbers.

I guess I'm a bit under-leveled. I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 and trying to do some side-quests, and keep running into level 21 enemies when I'm only at 16. It wasn't pretty, but kind of refreshing after how easy chapter 3 was.

Mercutio

Yaweee said:
If you're referring to Cistina,

1) Choose the "don't save her" option so you don't auto-fail when she dies, allowing you to CHARIOT back if you swing that way.
2) Unequip armor from Vyce and Leonard, so they'll run in and act as decoys. The enemy AI doesn't give a fuck about winning the battle or killing Cistina; it just wants to hit soft targets to make big damage numbers.

Good lord, right you are. It's going to take all of my willpower to keep from cheating this way in the future.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Sorry, I didn't see this in the OP but I might have missed it. Is this game available on PSN? I really want to buy this but I don't want to buy a new PSP or any more UMD based games.

Kodiak said:
Sorry, I didn't see this in the OP but I might have missed it. Is this game available on PSN? I really want to buy this but I don't want to buy a new PSP or any more UMD based games.
It is indeed!
To be on topic this game continues to rock. I can tell its gonna get hard but for now my Wizard is rocking face left and right. Also when the fuck can i buy rez spell :(

Totakeke

Can you use skills of your previous classes? Especially those special skills at the end of the list like Mighty Impact for soldiers? I suppose that stat growths of your previous class transfers? Trying to figure out when to use class change items.

Peff

Totakeke said:
Can you use skills of your previous classes? Especially those special skills at the end of the list like Mighty Impact for soldiers?

Some transfer, but not all of them. I think it's the ones that both classes share plus support skills, but maybe it's just the shared ones.

I suppose that stat growths of your previous class transfers? Trying to figure out when to use class change items.

Yes, any bonus from a class level-up is permanent.

Varth

Basileus777 said:
If I remember correctly, in fft I was able to check which place in the turn list I would end up by performing a certain action. Is there a way to do that here? So far is the most annoying problem for me.

There are no charged abilities in this game, so I'm not sure why you would need a list like that.

The turn order is shown on the bottom of the screen.

Well, A LOT of times I had a character's path blocked by others, or had a priest turn come BEFORE a crucial attack, and wished I could at least partially correct the turns.

So, no way to calculate how many RT would a course of action cost or the place in the queue I would end up by doing something?

creid

After spending a lot of time staring at the skill screen I've got some questions:

Strenghten I says "increases PHYSICAL DAMAGE" - does this apply to ranged attacks as well as melee?

If I want to increase damage against undead units (ghosts and skeletons) summoned by necromancers, is that class considered Phantom (Thanatology)? Umbra (Daemonology)?

Do any of the following skills increase the power of the Heal spell? Both in healing power, and damage to undead:
Spellcraft I - "bonus to MAGIC ATTACK"
Augment Light - bonus to light spells
Anatomy - bonus against humans

Augment Light seems like it'd be really pointless on a cleric, if it doesn't affect the heal spell. And if that's the case, I don't know what else to teach mine :/

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
robotzombie said:

Yah, the tutorial is painful. I'm still in the beginning and it makes the game sound so complicated it's intimidating. What an info dump this is!

Skilletor

Went in to the necromancer battle without setting up skills for my crew. I died...

Love this game. :)

Between this and homework, I haven't even started playing MvC3.

Mercutio said:
Good lord, right you are. It's going to take all of my willpower to keep from cheating this way in the future.

I never considered naked man taunting to be cheating in the FFT battles that called for it, I don't know why it would be here.

Jinko

Speaking of spells, one of the most usefuil is the AoE petrify spell, get 2 Earth (I think) mages and you can basically keep the majority of the otherside petrified whilst you just club them to death.

creid said:
After spending a lot of time staring at the skill screen I've got some questions:

Strenghten I says "increases PHYSICAL DAMAGE" - does this apply to ranged attacks as well as melee?

If I want to increase damage against undead units (ghosts and skeletons) summoned by necromancers, is that class considered Phantom (Thanatology)? Umbra (Daemonology)?

Do any of the following skills increase the power of the Heal spell? Both in healing power, and damage to undead:
Spellcraft I - "bonus to MAGIC ATTACK"
Augment Light - bonus to light spells
Anatomy - bonus against humans

Augment Light seems like it'd be really pointless on a cleric, if it doesn't affect the heal spell. And if that's the case, I don't know what else to teach mine :/

I believe Strengthen works on all physical attacks, including ranged. Don't quote me.
And Augment Light works on ALL spells of that element. That including the healing spells. Anatomy only ups your damage and recruitment rate, it won't effect healing. Spellcraft won't up healing, raise your MND for that.

TommyT

For those that have downloaded this from PSN via PC and then put it on your PS3, what firmware does your PS3 have to be on? Is it as simple as logging into PSN through your PC, download, x-fer to PS3, and finally bask in awe?!

Here's the dilemma
and yes... I AM actually considering just going and buying a PSP for this
:

TO is currently being shipped from Amazon.
Borrowed PSP has CFW of 3.71 M33.
PS3 has
:lol
3.15 OFW on it.

Given what I have, I'd like to try to find all possible solutions and I would prefer not to have to update my PS3.

I just want to play this as soon as I get it. :'(

Top Bottom