• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Jinko

ixix said:
The game will not stop giving me Peregrine's Marks. Exactly how many times are they expecting me to need to change Canopus back to a Vartan?

You can use on other Divine units or sell them.

oracrest

The equip system isn't so bad as I first thought. It helps being able to tab over to see who can equip what, and the fact that the classes level up uniformally, and not a different level for each individual character.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The menu's, particularly the shop, are so cluttered and poorly designed it's giving me a headache. Is there even an easy way to tell how many of an item I even have before I buy it? Without having to select it first?

ezekial45

Banned
Played about 2 hours of it, and i'm really digging it. I usually don't get into SRPG games like this (stopped about 4 hours in with FFT and FFTA), but this game got me really psyched.

Is there a complete class listing out there somewhere? I'd like to see whats in store for me, in terms of character customization.

ezekial45 said:
Played about 2 hours of it, and i'm really digging it. I usually don't get into SRPG games like this (stopped about 4 hours in with FFT and FFTA), but this game got me really psyched.

Is there a complete class listing out there somewhere? I'd like to see whats in store for me, in terms of character customization.

There's a decent amount of information here.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Jinko said:
You can use on other Divine units or sell them.

There's other peeps that can become Vartans? Not cool. Ain't nobody gonna be biting Canopus' schtick on my watch.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
John Harker said:
The menu's, particularly the shop, are so cluttered and poorly designed it's giving me a headache. Is there even an easy way to tell how many of an item I even have before I buy it? Without having to select it first?

Hover over it and it should have "equiped x N owned x N" where N is the number of the stat on it.

The loyalty of one of my favorite units is dropping.
Don't leave me Voltare...

Bitch slap him, that'll set him straight.

careful

Finally got my PSP. Took a while to update the firmware and transfer over the game from the PS3, so by the end of the night I was only able to finish the first tutorial and save..
I'll go on a bender this weekend though. :)

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Despite me having anticipated this game for like nine months I was really annoyed with it at first. No real character growth? Can't "dressing room" to automatically see new equipment for characters? Difficult to detect inventory amounts and hard to tell what tiny pictures correspond to which classes?

It's pretty annoying at first but I've since come to believe it is really just good game design, nudging you into accepting how to play the game. You can't blaze through party configuration--since individual stats barely matter, the strengths of characters are based on their job classes, equipment, and skill choices. It's become kind of fun for me to spend a lot of time between battles carefully considering each piece of equipment and the skill configuration and magic selections. I imagine this sort of methodical approach will be even more beneficial later on in the game.

Man once you hit level 30 the story and regular battles challenge jump up a notch especially when I'm under equipped.

I plan on maxing out 3 class for my regular party right now and for all the new story character I left some classes untouched so they can have their stats maxed out later.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is there a penalty for using the chariot tarot our something? Dont see how you can every lose if you can just replay all your moves

Totakeke

John Harker said:
Is there a penalty for using the chariot tarot our something? Dont see how you can every lose if you can just replay all your moves

I hope you are aware of the irony in your post.

Totakeke

John Harker said:
Cause of my avatar? I could replay Turk dancing all day and we'd all be winners

You can never lose in games that lets you save and load.

That said, I think there's a medal for completing the game without using the Chariot system.

Carlisle

Wow what the flying fuck at the difficulty spike? I went through the first 4 battles pretty easily, maybe a little sweat here or there but no big deal. Enter battle 5
against Nybeth the necromancer
and I can't get anywhere near almost beating it. I've played it 4 times now each with different strategies and each time I'm completely destroyed. Not even close, even with liberal use of the Chariot Tarot.

It was this kind of shit that made the original unplayable for me. Getting this again after such high hopes is breaking my heart here. Should I bother grinding or are enemy levels tied to mine like in the PS1 game?

Joule said:
This 3 move for mage units is really cramping my play. Or just the general decrease of movement really.

I didn't play much of the original TO, but I think the decrese in movement really emphasizes the power of Rampart Aura. Makes a wall a WALL, unlike in FFT where units could just walk around a Knight.

Carlisle said:
Wow what the flying fuck at the difficulty spike? I went through the first 4 battles pretty easily, maybe a little sweat here or there but no big deal. Enter battle 5
and I can't get anywhere near almost beating it. I've played it 4 times now each with different strategies and each time I'm completely destroyed. Not even close, even with liberal use of the Chariot Tarot.

It was this kind of shit that made the original unplayable for me. Getting this again after such high hopes is breaking my heart here. Should I bother grinding or are enemy levels tied to mine like in the PS1 game?

Thats an optional battle, but there are tips earlier in the thread to beat it. If you don't wanna play through it, just continue back to the first town.

Carlisle

jiggle said:
story fights - the levels don't scale up

pick off mobs with archers!
Thanks! Feeling better about it now. I was just so disheartened after playing for 2 straight hours on this one battle for nothing. I'll give it another go in the morning.

Totakeke

Carlisle said:

Know that your units don't lose any lives if they're still on the battlefield when you win the battle. Know that that is also an optional battle. But anyway, the typical (or only, without grinding) strategy is just to bum rush the boss ignoring your fallen units.

For that battle, I had 3 clerics with exorcism, exorcised about 8 undead units while staying at the bottom, then still have to resort to rushing the boss in the end because he ended up summoning another 5 ghosts and 3 skeletons which was impossible to deal with with that elevation. Canopus took the hits and fell along with 3 other units while Denam and another warrior barely finished him up before the Ghosts could wipe out my entire army. Did not lose any hearts in the end.

Fun times.

Carlisle said:
Thanks! Feeling better about it now. I was just so disheartened after playing for 2 straight hours on this one battle for nothing. I'll give it another go in the morning.
Also the strategy i used was to just wait untill winged guy(canopus) got enough TP for his finishing move. Then just fly in and light that necromancers ass up.

Meeru

Banned
Carlisle said:

You will have to grind a little bit. If you have a rune fencer get him heal. They gave you two other places to farm a for a reason.

Playing catch up with new classes is kind of a pain in the ass later on. I mean they're more or less useless and taking up much needed spots in those already hectic random battles. Not to mention that to really get any significant exp you need multiple people to swap over making the problem even worse. My Archers and Canopus are going to be so far ahead from letting everyone else ride off their overpoweredness.

I've prep for catching up classes later on. I've bought all items and equipments in groups of 7 for warrior classes/archer from level 1 to 19 atm. I do all my training making everybody the same class in Tynemouth Hill since I already have herpetology and anatomy worked on.

What will suck is raising the new people that join which is why I left some classes at level 1 to train. I will sure miss my buffs like strengthen and fortify.

Edit: Oh god (minor skill spoiler)
just found out that there is strengthen 4 and fortify 4
I better start saving skill points early.

JKTrix

I kind of wish it would let me look at enemy units before I confirm my party, so I don't bring my Anatomy'd out posse to a Beast fight.

Ricker

Damn,almost didn`t make the third fight until I realised I had to change the way I was approaching it hehe...and I remember the battles being long but this long?...game will be great again for sure...ok just to make sure,I had one guest that died and he sort of flew out of the map in a blue ball of light and I had 2 recruited characters that died but stayed on the ground,like the undead`s,for 3 turns before disappearing...did I lose the guest for good? you get one extra life or shot to keep them I think for the recruited members? how does dying work again...

m3k

no shit, i had a dream about finding a tactics ogre game in a second hand store last night

i think its time i bought a system for a new game

thefil

Just checked my playtime and I see I'm only 2:30 into the game (though probably close to an hour more for restarts).

I'm really enjoying it, though I feel like every decision I make will end up being the wrong one. I skipped the optional battle because it was too tough for me, and in the next story battle I could not deal more than 7 damage to this stupid soldier that hounded my healers around the entire map while the rest of my part killed the boss.

Never before has an SRPG made me feel so stupid. And people were saying it would be too easy?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Loving this game, but without the CHARIOT system, I think I'd find it virtually unplayable. It's just brutally difficult at times.

duckroll

Just beat the Necromancer. It was a good fight. I was really, really close to actually losing lives for some of my units at the bottom by the end of the fight, but I managed to deal the final blow just before the first cleric to fall completely expired. Most of the challenge was in positioning my forward troops to get to the top without getting stuck or getting hurt by the other units. Once they got on top and the undead army was distracted by the troops below, it was just a matter of surrounding the poor bastard. :D

JKTrix

Ricker said:
Damn,almost didn`t make the third fight until I realised I had to change the way I was approaching it hehe...and I remember the battles being long but this long?...game will be great again for sure...ok just to make sure,I had one guest that died and he sort of flew out of the map in a blue ball of light and I had 2 recruited characters that died but stayed on the ground,like the undead`s,for 3 turns before disappearing...did I lose the guest for good? you get one extra life or shot to keep them I think for the recruited members? how does dying work again...

Warren's Report (and the manual) answers all those questions regarding death.

But basically, if you let a KO'd unit count down to zero, they are removed from the map and lose one life (represented by hearts on their 'condition' screen). Once they lose all their lives, they are permanently dead, though you can apparently harvest their ADAM or something. Just don't let 'em die. You get items that can revive people by default, and you can purchase more.

I followed prior advice regarding Nybeth, the 'Zerg Rush' tactic. Canopus got a couple of hits off of him then died, then my main guy managed to walk up and smack him down before any of my guys died. I think I was level 4, currently 7 and about to get to Balmamusa.

Soulhouf

Question: (small spoiler regarding jobs)
Now that killing an ally became a pain in the ass, how do we get special jobs like Lich and Angel Knight?

Jinko

Freyjadour said:
Playing catch up with new classes is kind of a pain in the ass later on. I mean they're more or less useless and taking up much needed spots in those already hectic random battles. Not to mention that to really get any significant exp you need multiple people to swap over making the problem even worse. My Archers and Canopus are going to be so far ahead from letting everyone else ride off their overpoweredness.

This is the problem I am having with my healers right now, thankfully I just got the white knight class so can substitute them as healers for a bit.

Leave your achers and Canopus out for a few fights and replace them with mages or something.

Foffy

Banned
I just got the game, and while I'm really digging the style, one of the things I'm worried about is the potential difficulty with the game. Does the game have any absurd difficulty spikes that make the game too hard? So far I'm a bit overwhelmed with the sheer volume of things that the tutorial logs are telling me about, along with the shop which I find a bit of a hard time to use. I can't tell what items if I buy them could actually be equipped by my party, or the mountain load of purchasable magic scrolls. Outside of those things, I'm getting a very Final Fantasy Tactics meets Fire Emblem vibe with the game, and I don't think that's a bad vibe at all.

chris-013

I still don't understand chariot system... You can use it every time ? And I'm sure I used it in a battle and I still have 4 battles without use of chariot / 4 battles total in the warren report !

creid

AleeN634 said:
Does anyone know of any ways to get money besides selling loot and getting War Funds during cinemas?
I've been selling my Oberyths, but keeping plenty in case they're needed for crafting. I think you need Silver ones if you want to transfer skills from dead characters, so keep that in mind.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Foffy said:
I just got the game, and while I'm really digging the style, one of the things I'm worried about is the potential difficulty with the game. Does the game have any absurd difficulty spikes that make the game too hard? So far I'm a bit overwhelmed with the sheer volume of things that the tutorial logs are telling me about, along with the shop which I find a bit of a hard time to use. I can't tell what items if I buy them could actually be equipped by my party, or the mountain load of purchasable magic scrolls. Outside of those things, I'm getting a very Final Fantasy Tactics meets Fire Emblem vibe with the game, and I don't think that's a bad vibe at all.
Square + Left/Right let's you scroll through the windows when you're hovering over weapons and armor. Scroll until you see the class faces, a circle means the class can use it and an X means they can't. It'll also tell you when a class will be able to use a weapon/skill, if they currently are unable to wield it.

RS4-

Fuck the octopi in 3rd stage of chapter 2 :(

I wasn't paying attention when I was changing classes, so I ended up with a beast master after wasting a archer and enchantress? classmark..now I have to find those again lol.

RS4- said:
Fuck the octopi in 3rd stage of chapter 2 :(

I wasn't paying attention when I was changing classes, so I ended up with a beast master after wasting a archer and enchantress? classmark..now I have to find those again lol.

You can buy any classmarks that you've already collected.

Have been playing since abt. Tuesday, for around a total of 2 hours. Half that time was spent reading material :D

My goodness, this is a well presented game. The music is epic, the play speed is so good, even the 'clap' that sounds off when you select something is good.

And the names, I'm drowning in them. This localization is ridiculously high-end.

So far, my next match is against necro guy
Nybeth Obdilord @_@
. At the moment, I'm playing an optional battle. Enemies seem to always do good chunks of damage...this is the first time playing a SRPG where I've had to use "Phoenix Downs" in early battles on non-hard modes. So good.

Top Bottom