• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

download the game through media go (Windows only?). plug psp using mini usb cable. when it ask for you to update your psp say no. it'll still transfer. so you just pay zero or a few change for a cable.

Jinko

Augment Light does rank up on healing, although if the heals are capped I'm not sure there is much point using it, I haven't seen any evidence that you can miss healing or buff spells either

Totakeke

So I'm up to several battles after the start of the second chapter, and boy, this game is tough. I didn't use the Chariot system, didn't go into any random encounters yet, had one death (lost heart) so far, and most battles take me several retries to win it. I think everyone will probably have problems with melee not dishing out enough damage, archers dealing very little damage to melee, and magic users are glass cannons that can get wiped out by one lucky archer hit.

Geez.

The special skill of archers make such a big difference, and rune knights haven't stopped sucking so far. I think having good positioning of rampant aura units is probably super important in not having your back line getting run over.

Heal seems to be capped at 40~ish and augment light indeed doesn't really make any difference to that.

TommyT

Vigilance said:
The guide seems to be up for order on Amazon again for $13.59. Usually ships within 1 to 3 months. :(

Not Yet Shipped: 1 item - delivery estimate: February 18, 2011 - February 23, 2011
I ordered it the day it went up I think... who knows though :\

edit - For a new page:

For those that have downloaded this from PSN via PC and then put it on your PS3, what firmware does your PS3 have to be on? Is it as simple as logging into PSN through your PC, download, x-fer to PS3, and finally bask in awe?!

Az987

all good things
Vigilance said:
The guide seems to be up for order on Amazon again for $13.59. Usually ships within 1 to 3 months. :(

Damn. I knew I should of ordered that. I don't really know what I'm doing in the game. I haven't played an RPG in a long long time.

TommyT said:
For those that have downloaded this from PSN via PC and then put it on your PS3, what firmware does your PS3 have to be on? Is it as simple as logging into PSN through your PC, download, x-fer to PS3, and finally bask in awe?!
Are you trying to put the game on ps3? why? ;o I don't think you can anyways.

TommyT

DMPrince said:
Are you trying to put the game on ps3? why? ;o I don't think you can anyways.

I thought someone said earlier they downloaded it with their PC and x-fered it to the PS3 via the PSP go or something like that.

edit - misinterpreted this:
careful said:
I'm only getting my Go tomorrow so noob question:
Does it matter if I buy it on PC or PS3? Do I need a special cable to transfer to the Go for either of those?
I see it's going to the Go. /fail

There are some cables you can get to hook your PSP up to your TV, the game is displayed on your television while the PSP functions like a controller if that's what you're after. I have the cable and a PSP 2000, it works but it's not pretty. Dunno if there's an equivalent for the Go.

Yaweee

jaundicejuice said:
There are some cables you can get to hook your PSP up to your TV, the game is displayed on your television while the PSP functions like a controller if that's what you're after. I have the cable and a PSP 2000, it works but it's not pretty. Dunno if there's an equivalent for the Go.

Does that work for games? I thought only the 3000 could display games to the screen, while 2000s could do other things but not games?

timnich

Am I going to get screwed if I keep killing the boss of a level before clearing out all the fodder? I get through like half of the fodder, but then constantly keep having to kill the boss to save someone from dying, usually a guest or dumb as shit ai characters. I don't lose too much in terms of experience, do I?

Yaweee

timnich said:
Am I going to get screwed if I keep killing the boss of a level before clearing out all the fodder? I get through like half of the fodder, but then constantly keep having to kill the boss to save someone from dying, usually a guest or dumb as shit ai characters. I don't lose too much in terms of experience, do I?

You lose nothing in terms of experience or SP, as far as I know. You just lose out on the possibility of their drops.

Ricker

Yaweee said:
Does that work for games? I thought only the 3000 could display games to the screen, while 2000s could do other things but not games?

Works with the 2000 as well...just not with the original fat...I will try it this afternoon on my 55 inch HDTV but usually,bigger is not always good with this,it amplifies the jaggies and what not...

ukas

The Go has a cradle you can use to output to your TV. If you have a PS3 you can pair one of the Bluetooth controllers to the Go.

Jinko

Ricker said:
Works with the 2000 as well...just not with the original fat...I will try it this afternoon on my 55 inch HDTV but usually,bigger is not always good with this,it amplifies the jaggies and what not...

Looks good considering the increase in size, kind of looks like a PS1 game i suppose.

Something i just noticed is that you can retreat from random battles and still gainthe XP, SP and loot for what you killed, handy for when someone is about to lose a heart and you can't get to raise them.

creid

Yaweee said:
2000 can output games to the screen, but only if your TV does progressive scan. Don't know about the 3000.

Listening to Active Time Babble, they said the ending changes based (in part) on how many people you kill

Does this apply to random encounters? Say two people kill the same people in story battles but one person grinds a lot in random battles - would they get different endings?

HamPster PamPster said:
Listening to Active Time Babble, they said the ending changes based (in part) on how many people you kill

Does this apply to random encounters? Say two people kill the same people in story battles but one person grinds a lot in random battles - would they get different endings?

It's a bit more complicated than than just how many people you kill. There's a "chaos frame" counter for each of the three main clans which measures how highly they think of you. You can judge how high it's at by recruiting a new character of that clan and seeing what their starting loyalty is at. Story based decisions, killing a bunch of people of that clan, reviving those people etc. all effect the rating. There are ways to grind it back up and you won't get the ending that requires the high chaos frame without specifically working for it. It was a real pain to get in the original.

Yaweee said:

I've played Monster hunter Freedom Unite on my 60 inch Samsung.

Pinko Marx said:
It wouldn't be a Yasumi Matsuno game without a buncha hidden numbers and stats.

Speaking of hidden stats, does anyone what luck/fortune does in this version of the game? Devil or death cards raise/lower it and you get tell how high it is pressing selecting and hovering over a character's portrait. But I have no idea what it does.

Jinko

Basileus777 said:
Speaking of hidden stats, does anyone what luck/fortune does in this version of the game? Devil or death cards raise/lower it and you get tell how high it is pressing selecting and hovering over a character's portrait. But I have no idea what it does.

Most likely chance of crit or possibly steal ?

Novid

Banned
So i got the game yesterday. And the Tarot cards.

I know gamestop's have horrible reputations and high prices but i was REALLY lucky - at first i asked for Mvc3 (since i have already preordered it) they made a mistake dealing with the platform. However they moved the preorder info for Mortal Kombat - that's fine. Got that and the preorder info.

The next question was did they get Tactics Ogre. They said they had copies. I asked did anybody had a preorder. They stated no but they did had the preorder, so next i asked could I have that preorder item.

I got that too. It was a damn bleeping mircale to be honest.

The cards are amazing. The package needed some work but i love the cards. And the fact there going for 75 - 100 bucks on ebay means I REALLY lucked out.

As for the game, the Production Values are out of this world. I ALWAYS knew the Playstation Portable could do this, but every developer (rightly or wrongly) worked on the CGI and pushing the Polys on the system. This game did the reverse. The music was great then, and a MILLION Times better now. As for the translation - They kept it highbrow. Not egotistical highbrow but the good old type. As for the type, its better than comic sans but they should have made a smaller type of new times.

As for the game itself. Its way faster than the Last Tactics Ogre game i played, the Knights of Lodis (I still have the orginal GBA copy) it almost runs like a fighting game or a racer - maybe for that reason its harder at certian parts than the GBA game. Even though its older with some refits, the charm Nippon Ichi lolified and others havent yet got down - this game did it in perfection and in spades.

As for the skill classes and weapon selection, I for one dont mind it that its kinda tedous - because it means less grinding, way less. I havent gone deep in the game but its not gonna get any easier.

This game is one of the best remakes ever. This is what the PSP can do - but i fear NGP will never reach. Go get it now (and hope youre lucky with the Tarot Cards) you will NEVER regret it.

Looks like the strategy guide is going to greatly delayed at Amazon or cancelled completely:

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on February 11 2011:

BradyGames "Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Official Strategy Guide"
Estimated arrival date: March 30 2011 - May 10 2011

Teknoman

Hopefully we get more strategy RPGs in the Ogre/War of the Lions style in the future (maybe even on consoles). Always liked the way people talk within the game and the combination of Yoshida, Matsuno, and Sakimoto never fails.

Minsc

Gold Member
Jupiter Jones said:
Looks like the strategy guide is going to greatly delayed at Amazon or cancelled completely:

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on February 11 2011:

BradyGames "Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Official Strategy Guide"
Estimated arrival date: March 30 2011 - May 10 2011

Mine still shows the same Feb 22-28 from when I placed the order (did free shipping, no prime), but who knows for how much longer.

Crazy that those tarot cards are going for $30 by themselves on ebay. Almost pays for the entire game!

Median

JKTrix said:
I got that 'March-May' email from Amazon too. Wonder what happened.

Got the game yesterday, been playing it pretty much non-stop. Did anyone else with the UMD not have the 'UMD' logo on the disc?
http://yfrog.com/h6qdvej

Mine was like that too. I was briefly perplexed and forgot what system I was trying to play the game on.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
mine as well. Had to check because I didn't even notice

Been a while since I've bought a physical PSP game

mjc

Supposedly Gamestop is going to be getting strategy guides in starting tomorrow. I went to the local one here today and they were still taking reserves on it. They said it should be out for sale tomorrow or Saturday the 19th.

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
My local Gamestop just called to say they have the game but no Tarot Cards preorder bonus... I was the only preorder for that store for this game... did any one else in Canada receive the Tarot Cards with their preorder? I'm really pissed... I told them the only reason I preordered a physical copy was for the preorder bonus, and if they can't produce the cards they can stuff it - I'll buy it from PSN so I'll have it for my NGP... :(
I got my cards! The manager called their head office and passed on my complaint, and they got me a set of cards... so I finally have the game- a physical copy - and my Tarot cards, which are beautiful, and I'm a happy camper...

Can't wait to start but I was up late finishing P3P last night, so I need a breather before I get into this... I'll probably wait until the weekend's over, then dive in...

JKTrix

Was just checking my titles, and I was 'awarded' the title for letting Cistina die--even though I undid the move just before that which saved her instead. Harsh.

RS4-

Loving the game so far; I'm only a few hours in but it's so good.

I think I'm at the marsh area where you first encounter beasts; what I'm not enjoying: Vyce's AI. At this rate, I'm content on letting him die whenever he feels like it. Early on archers are absolutely horrible; I haven't used them since the first mission, so they're still stuck at level 3. I might have to grind just a level or two so they can use an upgraded bow.

Someone mind telling me what's the point in having the trajectory skill? That doesn't affect %s does it?

Joule

Just got to chapter 2 and it's a magical experience playing this game. The new leveling system is kind of nice. That all my members gain experience regardless of what they did the in the battle is great. It's also a lot easier to bring yourself up to speed with a random battle or two. The new skill system and revamped magic is about as I expected. It's cool to be able to mix and match magics of your choice.

I made Denam a wizard this time for that new lightning element and ugh at the 3 move. It takes forever to get anywhere. The general decrease of movement is kinda neh but I've gotten used to it. I do like how those direct damage spells and the indirect damage spells both have their uses now. Having the entire library of the elemental spells on one class is pretty great though.

Archers still seem pretty good but the change to ranged weapons being unable to fire up close make it a lot more fair. That they also only get 3 move now is also a big change.

The revamped UI is so sleek. It does have some flaws here and there but it's quite good for the most part. Really all the graphical changes they've made are stellar. The spell effects are cool looking. The game also runs like a dream. It's so quick.

Other notes:
-The music is soooooo good
-I like the new little things they added like people pushing their chairs back after getting off them
-I still instinctively threw rocks at Lans to build exp :lol:
-The new script is pretty good
-The AI is still insane at times. Cistina why?!

RS4- said:
Someone mind telling me what's the point in having the trajectory skill? That doesn't affect %s does it?

It'll show you if the trajectory you chose will hit the target or not. Due to height differences or objects in the way or shots from odd angles it's can be hard to tell if it'll reach or not.

Joule said:
It'll show you if the trajectory you chose will hit the target or not. Due to height differences or objects in the way or shots from odd angles it's can be hard to tell if it'll reach or not.

It's also useful to tell if your random shot across the map will reach the target. For those who haven't played the original, you can actually target enemies beyond the range shown in the yellow grid when using bows.

Jinko

RS4- said:
Early on archers are absolutely horrible; I haven't used them since the first mission, so they're still stuck at level 3. I might have to grind just a level or two so they can use an upgraded bow.

Yea archers get crazy powerful later on, you can take out the healers/casters/undead with pretty much one shot.

Crossbow gets an awesome AoE fire based finisher aswell which does crazy damage.

Novid

Banned
Basileus777 said:
It's also useful to tell if your random shot across the map will reach the target. For those who haven't played the original, you can actually target enemies beyond the range showed in the yellow grid when using bows.

I actually did that in the third battle with the NecroHarlot, it reminded me so much of the X-Com blind aim in the first game. It hit the ghost. Fucking awesome.

Novid

Banned
I really doubt the NGP will ever have a game close as this.

Not because the NGP is bad (I have my own opinions about it) but delvopers are doing the same exact same thing they did with the PSP and outside of several games (most which I have) that actually showed how good the PSP is when you play to its strenths... these developers talk the good game but it all fools gold right now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Decided to skip the disc version for PSN (damn you NGP). It feels so strange spending that much money on a service other than Steam.

Looking forward to playing it after the slow ass download finishes.

oracrest

Yaweee said:

I have used the 2000 and 3000 models with the component cable. It works great, and the games hold up well on a TV.

the interface is simple too, just plug it in, and hold down the "screen" button on the bottom of the PSP face, and it will transfer the signal. Really handy!

and works like a charm when doing multiplayer stuff like Monster hunter, and your friend can look at where you are much easier.

klee123

Novid said:
I really doubt the NGP will ever have a game close as this.

Not because the NGP is bad (I have my own opinions about it) but delvopers are doing the same exact same thing they did with the PSP and outside of several games (most which I have) that actually showed how good the PSP is when you play to its strenths... these developers talk the good game but it all fools gold right now.

Doesn't matter since the NGP can play it =P

Although I wouldn't mind if devs can offer patches for existing PSP games which can take advantage of the NGP. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom is doing something with MH3P.

jiggle

loving it
so addicting
really like how the game kinda prevents you from over grinding and making an invincible army

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The game will not stop giving me Peregrine's Marks. Exactly how many times are they expecting me to need to change Canopus back to a Vartan?

And I am so missing the Training option. What's the point of leading dudes if you can't make them bludgeon each other into unconsciousness on command?

Yaweee

Oh my god. The game doesn't let you equip two types of recruitment skills at once. Christ, why did they make the recruiting system so dumb and harder than the original?

Wow, they really nerfed the spell selection of the princess class. Maybe Draconic magic will change things, but it looks kind of useless right now.

Top Bottom