• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Jinko

ColonelSkills said:
Ok, umm...

Does this game not work with custom firmware or something? I'm running 5.50 Prometheus. I go through just fine through the first battle, meet the Knights, off to the first castle...and then once I get to that first battle the game just stops loading. You can hear the UMD spin down and eventually the system just turns itself off.

It sounds like one of those anti-piracy things, but this is a legit copy I *just* bought from an EB two hours ago. It's not the PSP's drive since I popped in other games and it works fine, so I'm at a loss here.

Any help?

Yea wouldn't work on 5.50 prome for me either so I'm using 6.20 TN-C and its working fine.

You can update back and forth using X-gen updater.

haven't bothered doing any recruiting. How easy is it and what class has the skill for dragons?

Beastmaster, less than 10% health helps and for you to stand as close as possible for optimal results normally directly infront of them is best but even then its hit and miss.

For every time you fail their loyalty will increase to the opposing side.

Pinko Marx said:
The Dynast King is mentioned in both FFXII and this. Also the Rood Inverse is an item here as well as in Vagrant Story. Not that I'm saying they're connected, though.

Shout outs, son.

Jinko said:
Yea if you don't have excorism your pretty much screwed on those fights, its really annoying that only priest and clerics can't learn it.

Both Catuia and that character you meet during the fight have exorcism. You need to give them magic leaves first as Exorcism costs a lot of MP.

Saving Hobyrim (odd spelling change to his name in this translation) wasn't nearly as bad as I feared it would be, at least on the L path. He tried his suicidal charge, but Canopus and Ninja Denam caught up to him pretty quickly. I actually had more trouble with Xapan and Cistina.

Jinko said:
Yea wouldn't work on 5.50 prome for me either so I'm using 6.20 TN-C and its working fine.

Beastmaster, less than 10% health helps and for you to stand as close as possible for optimal results normally directly infront of them is best but even then its hit and miss.

For every time you fail their loyalty will increase to the opposing side.

You must be some sort of super grinder to recruit one of each color. I'm pretty jelly.

Jinko said:

If it's not too much to ask, and to avoid derailing this thread about this further, please check your PM box?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Yaweee said:
People are doing testing on base stat growth on GameFAQS:

1) Even leveling in a class from 1->50 (max class level) gives an increase on the order of 5 to each base stat.
2) Some are speculating that this is lower than the JP version.

Not sure if there's much truth to #2, or how good the statistical significance is to #1.

From reading what they've found it looks like stat gains for being in a class when it levels up are tiny compared to the gains you get for being in a class with a high level.

Which still seems to heavily reward grinding all your characters in the same class at once, honestly. I'm not sure that there's any way to tweak the numbers within the system they've designed to make that not the case. Shifting the balance away from per-character stat gains towards per-class stat gains just means the main advantage to single-class grinding is the increased experience going to the class rather than the increased base stats going to the characters.

I don't know. I think I'm about at my limit for how much forethought I'm willing to give to the leveling system, and I'm just going to resolve to refuse to give a shit.

Yaweee

ixix said:
From reading what they've found it looks like stat gains for being in a class when it levels up are tiny compared to the gains you get for being in a class with a high level.

Which still seems to heavily reward grinding all your characters in the same class at once, honestly. I'm not sure that there's any way to tweak the numbers within the system they've designed to make that not the case. Shifting the balance away from per-character stat gains towards per-class stat gains just means the main advantage to single-class grinding is the increased experience going to the class rather than the increased base stats going to the characters.

I don't know. I think I'm about at my limit for how much forethought I'm willing to give to the leveling system, and I'm just going to resolve to refuse to give a shit.

It rewards it, sure, but the exp curve is pretty harsh in that regard. My two wizards are at the same level as Canopus' Vartan.

zurra

after a batch of missions in chapter 1, i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or just still getting used to the game.

- my archers seem only effective vs. enemy mages/healers
- my mages only seem effective versus hybrid classes, damage elsewhere is mediocre
- everything else seems sorta low damage output or low accuracy
- enemy units seem effective vs. everything i have, even combos that aren't effective for me (i.e. if i try to attack the types of units they attack, it doesn't work so well)

now... am i doing it wrong due to the game design, or is it just this hard? and should i rushing the objective unit and killing them instead of trying to kill some of the trash units? or do you only get XP for stuff you kill?

Yaweee

zurra said:
after a batch of missions in chapter 1, i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or just still getting used to the game.

- my mages only seem effective versus hybrid classes, damage elsewhere is mediocre
- enemy units seem effective vs. everything i have, even combos that aren't effective for me (i.e. if i try to attack the types of units they attack, it doesn't work so well)

now... am i doing it wrong due to the game design, or is it just this hard? and should i rushing the objective unit and killing them instead of trying to kill some of the trash units? or do you only get XP for stuff you kill?
It's just hard. Dodge/Block, Mag Defense, and Physical are meaningful stats that differ wildly between classes, which makes specific tactics very important. I'm loving it so far.

Work on getting the proficiency skills for whatever spell types or weapons you are using.

ixix said:

The biggest beneficiaries of all of this are the special characters who start with higher base stats. Like the original, there's no real reason to use generics over the unique characters. Hell, there's less of a reason to use them now those characters aren't stuck in their special classes.

And I just noticed that Hobyrim starts with 48 DEX, holy shit.

zurra

ok, that's about what i expected. haven't had any major problems yet, just felt like my units were sissies. thanks!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Should I leave my party as it after saving the beginning dude, or should I experiment? I'm so not sure. Overwhelmed by the options! It's why I hate playing SRPGs because I get "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE NEXT BATTLE! D:" over them.

oracrest

zurra said:

I am having the same issue with the fight against the necromancer. at least half of my attacks are blocked or miss. I am also getting used to the magic system, I casted a spell at an enemy a few spaces away, and the spell rocketed downwards to a fallen enemy right next to me. I can understand if a character were standing in the way, but this didn't make physical sense to me, I guess it just hits whoever is in a tile between you and the target, even if they are collapsed on the ground?

Onto my 3rd try at the battle...

Also, is there a comparison screen you can use when buying new equipment for characters, to see how the new item compares to what they have equipped currently? I have been going in and out of like 4 menus every time I buy an item, it seem like that's not the proper way to do it.

oracrest said:
I am having the same issue with the fight against the necromancer. at least half of my attacks are blocked or miss. I am also getting used to the magic system, I casted a spell at an enemy a few spaces away, and the spell rocketed downwards to a fallen enemy right next to me. I can understand if a character were standing in the way, but this didn't make physical sense to me, I guess it just hits whoever is in a tile between you and the target, even if they are collapsed on the ground?

"missle" type spells will do that. Also seems like the higher level missle spells have better tracking, idk if this is true but it seems that way. Try to get some indirect spells to avoid the trouble.

creid

oracrest said:

The same thing was happening to me, every time. I guess fallen undead units absorb dark magic?

TheSeks said:
Should I leave my party as it after saving the beginning dude, or should I experiment? I'm so not sure. Overwhelmed by the options! It's why I hate playing SRPGs because I get "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE NEXT BATTLE! D:" over them.

Go ahead and experiment. Classes that are a lower level than the rest of your party get more experience after battle and get caught up with the rest pretty quickly, so there's no real penalty for messing around.

oracrest

Is there a way to compare weapons and armor in a shop with what characters already have equipped?

Right now I am going into a shop, looking at what they have, picking one bow, for example, then exiting way back to the map, going into party, and looking to see if my character meets criteria. It will be a frustrating playthrough if this is how I have to buy ALL the equipment for my army, one piece at a time.

Peff

oracrest said:
Is there a way to compare weapons and armor in a shop with what characters already have equipped?

Right now I am going into a shop, looking at what they have, picking one bow, for example, then exiting way back to the map, going into party, and looking to see if my character meets criteria. It will be a frustrating playthrough if this is how I have to buy ALL the equipment for my army, one piece at a time.

Nope, it seems to be the game's biggest flaw. You can however press Square to see a couple of details like who can equip it.

PS: I hate you all who have the game. Stupid staggered release.

Shouta

oracrest said:

In most cases, you don't ever have to actually compare weapons because the progression is pretty linear. The only time you may have problems is choosing between a two-handed or one-handed version of a weapon but otherwies, if it's of a higher level, it's stronger.

If you want to see if your character's class and level fit so you can equip it, hit Square + the D-Pad to flip the info pane, one of them has icons for all the classes you've encountered and the level they can use said weapon. If they can, it'll be a circle, if not it'll say the required level.

For folks playing the game, absolutely equip the skills that gain XP and use them, they are absolute musts. In particular, the skill that increases your strength against human and monster targets are really potent as you get higher. My Denim had the Vs Human skill equipped from the start and by the end of my first story run, he was one-shotting everything on Ninja that was Human. His super powerful stats also made him deal massive damage to just about anything though.

oracrest

Shouta said:
In most cases, you don't ever have to actually compare weapons because the progression is pretty linear. The only time you may have problems is choosing between a two-handed or one-handed version of a weapon but otherwies, if it's of a higher level, it's stronger.

That final tab helps a bit.

I tried the necromancer battle again, and lost again, but I returned to an earlier castle, and got a different mission, so I am going to try that instead, and level up a bit.

RDreamer

Beat the necromancer battle on my 2nd try. I just needed to be more careful with my healers and go up the hill a bit more organized so I didn't get stuck in the middle like last time. I'm a few more battles past that now, and still really loving it. FFT is still probably my favorite game ever, or at least way up there. I want to see how close this comes.

For those having trouble with the necromancer battle, you really just gotta zerg rush your way up. Don't get too distracted by the other units. Take out some of those wizards and archers, but you really just wanna focus on staying alive and taking out the necromancer himself. If you take too long he'll just summon mo undead. Having 2 clerics with you will help out a whole lot. Have one focus on healing, and the other exorcising.

branny

I've been playing this since I got my copy yesterday and every moment's been an orgasm and a half. Considering how much I cherish FFT, I'm not surprised, but it still feels so unreal after years of not quite being completely satisfied with the SRPGs I've played since 1998.

I'm still so dumbfounded. I couldn't even form words to post something yesterday.

The shop UI thing is a minor niggle, but understandable. To be honest, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the UI is how gorgeous it is in motion compared to what I'm used to... I feel weird for appreciating something like that so much.

Enough can't be said about the music and story/writing, as well. Unsurprisingly, I'm also looking forward to Radiant Historia, but I don't know if I'll get it at launch, even with its pedigree--the gameplay mechanics don't seem like they'll do much for me. =\

RDreamer said:
FFT is still probably my favorite game ever, or at least way up there. I want to see how close this comes.

Yeah, I think that'll be interesting to discuss once everyone starts finishing this game en masse.

oracrest

Pinko Marx said:
For those having trouble with the necromancer battle, you really just gotta zerg rush your way up. Don't get too distracted by the other units. Take out some of those wizards and archers, but you really just wanna focus on staying alive and taking out the necromancer himself. If you take too long he'll just summon mo undead. Having 2 clerics with you will help out a whole lot. Have one focus on healing, and the other exorcising.

I went back a few areas, and stumbled upon a new pathway to explore (north.) These battles seem easier by far, and I am leveling up a few classes past 4. that seems to be the first magic level to be able to do more stuff and equip better gear.

TheSeks

Can anyone tell me what the conditions of the "no one falls in battle" title is? KO's? Death? Is this like FFT where the 3/2/1 is a perma-death counter?

Curious as I want to get the no on falls in battle title as apparently it can't be gotten out of the first plathrough. :/

TheSeks said:
Can anyone tell me what the conditions of the "no one falls in battle" title is? KO's? Death? Is this like FFT where the 3/2/1 is a perma-death counter?

Falls means KOs. Wait, does fall only count if you lose a heart? Cuz that's the only reason I keep restarting the necromancer second battle.

Slain means perma-death.

Ricker

branny said:
The shop UI thing is a minor niggle, but understandable. To be honest, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the UI is how gorgeous it is in motion compared to what I'm used to... I feel weird for appreciating something like that so much.

Nah,I felt the same thing when I got to the overworld map the first time and scrolled around it...so smooth hehe and that flag waving in the background after the battles with all your stats,very nice...the whole game is coming back to me as I play though,in fact I think I may still have my PS1 copy somewhere...

TheSeks

Fimbulvetr said:
Falls means KOs. Wait, does fall only count if you lose a heart? Cuz that's the only reason I keep restarting the necromancer second battle.

Slain means perma-death.

So, wait: I have to prevent them for falling AND try to prevent them from dying?

WTF, that's fucking crazy and they expect you to do that in the first playthrough?

Oh lord, I better make sure my mages and archers stay the fuck back from battle so they don't get owned for a bit until I know they have the range to hit enemies. :|

Curufinwe

How slow does it load from UMD with no install? I only have a 512 MB memory stick, so I won't be able to do the install unless I buy a new one.

I should probably just buy a new one.

TheSeks said:
So, wait: I have to prevent them for falling AND try to prevent them from dying?

WTF, that's fucking crazy and they expect you to do that in the first playthrough?

Oh lord, I better make sure my mages and archers stay the fuck back from battle so they don't get owned for a bit until I know they have the range to hit enemies. :|

TO implements the FFTactics 3 turn death counter as well as the 3 hearts that appear next to a unit's portrait.

If you fail to revive a unit or end a battle before their timer runs out you lose a heart. Losing all 3 is permadeath.

What I'm not sure about is whether or not falling is losing a heart.

TheSeks

Okay, got past the first mandatory battle before opening up random battles. Time to grind some skill points, I feel.

How is the skill point system calculated? Individual skills learned by the unit or is it for all the people of that class? I'm assuming the former, but I would like the latter if it sped up the grind. :|

Edit: Oh and how do you level up the weapons for finishing moves? They talk about it in the tutorial but I'm completely at a loss on how you're supposed to upgrade the weapons. The weapon skills I have are level 1/0.0 and I can't seem to figure out how you upgrade those.

TheSeks said:
How is the skill point system calculated? Individual skills learned by the unit or is it for all the people of that class? I'm assuming the former, but I would like the latter if it sped up the grind. :|
Skills are only for that unit, they aren't shared with other characters of the same class.

Edit: Oh and how do you level up the weapons for finishing moves? They talk about it in the tutorial but I'm completely at a loss on how you're supposed to upgrade the weapons. The weapon skills I have are level 1/0.0 and I can't seem to figure out how you upgrade those.

They level up a certain % every time you attack an enemy with a weapon of that type. You have to have the skill equipped for it to increase. The same goes for the elemental augment skills, level them by using spells of that element.

Just use the weapon to level up its skill. At rank 2 you'll unlock its first finishing move. It takes a while to level up, though.

TheSeks

Ah, okay. Makes sense but I wanted to make sure.

Guess I'mma gonna be waiting a long while before I get some finishing moves. *sigh*

Shouta

TheSeks said:
Ah, okay. Makes sense but I wanted to make sure.

Guess I'mma gonna be waiting a long while before I get some finishing moves. *sigh*

The more you use a character, the faster they learn them.

Oh, as an FYI, While bows have more range and usually just a little stronger, Crossbows have a multi-target finishing move that hits all enemies. Next time I start up TO, I'm definitely going to try out Crossbows for that.

TheSeks

Pinko Marx said:
Check out this link.

Wait wait wait...

If I unequip the skill, I lose the skill? Or is that a Japanese/English lost in translation thing to say: If you unequip the skill, your finishing move learned is unequipped as well?

Shouta said:
>>Crossbows<<

I picked one up in that mandatory to open random battles, battle. I haven't equipped it yet as I've had my part stock with the exception of learning healing spells so far. Maybe I should try it out...

My major gripe is killing the big bad dude, seeing his sack/death item drop and you can't pick it up. Is that given at the end, if not: WTF. :/

RDreamer

Does the game have random battles on places you've been through before? Or is there some way to trigger them? I remember the game saying something about them, but I've yet to encounter one.

TheSeks

RDreamer said:
Does the game have random battles on places you've been through before? Or is there some way to trigger them? I remember the game saying something about them, but I've yet to encounter one.

Random battles on areas you've cleared like FFT. Go back and forth until one triggers, basically.

Just a note to those of you who have bad memories of Wiegraf in FFT, the Chapter 2C 1v1 is much worse than I remember.

I have not done a random at all and have been brute forcing through the missions thus far and nearly got stuck there. Saved over my save outside the castle on accident and had to be creative. Protip:
His massively overpowered counterattack can be avoided with a Rune Fencer's Spear attack

I'm exhausted from playing this and going to crash now.

RDreamer said:

The encounter rate seems fairly low. You'll have to go back and forth to trigger them sometimes.

Shouta said:
The more you use a character, the faster they learn them.

Oh, as an FYI, While bows have more range and usually just a little stronger, Crossbows have a multi-target finishing move that hits all enemies. Next time I start up TO, I'm definitely going to try out Crossbows for that.
Woohoo! I equipped a crossbow on my main character (along with a 1h sword) for those enemies that hit and run. Nice to see I might get a decent payoff.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
TheSeks said:
My major gripe is killing the big bad dude, seeing his sack/death item drop and you can't pick it up. Is that given at the end, if not: WTF. :/

All the item bags are picked up at the end of the battle. That goes for bags dropped by the boss as well as bags dropped by regular enemies that you don't have somebody pick up.

Top Bottom