• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

daoster said:
Managing your characters' skills and equipment is increasingly becoming a bigger pain in the ass now...still enjoy the game, but this is a big flaw in TO.

Any tips on how to make magic for my non-magician characters more powerful? My Runic Knight's magic seems pathetically weak, as does my Ninja's magic skills. My Terror Knight's abilities have a much lower accuracy than my Mage's spells too.

You can buy the augment skill of whatever element you are using, as well as crafting some rings, but for the most part magic with non-magic focused units suck from what I've learned. With my Valkyrie and Terror Knight, I just buy the Instill/Guard spell of whatever element and use that. I also have Divine Magic on my Valkyrie and she can throw out some pretty good heals and Spiritsurge isn't so bad when you're not in range for a melee attack.

RDreamer

Loving the game so far. It's like nostalgia from how much I loved FFT and from my limited play time with the original mixed with something completely new. I just got my butt handed to me in the uphill undead fight like 4 or 5 fights in, though.

Yaweee

mattp said:
can we make bringing up ffta in a positive way a bannable offense in this thread?

Oh come on, both of the FFTAs did some very good things, a fair chunk of which have been passed on to TO.

Their stories may have been ass, but SRPG Guild Manager 2003/2007 were pretty damn enjoyable at times.

I like the level requirements for various skills, spells, and equipment. You can LEARN a spell with any character at any level, but they need the appropriate skill to cast and appropriate level before it will show up in their Action list during battle. Likewise, Equipment has fair level requirements. A class specializing in Swords can use good swords even at level 1, but classes that aren't so good with level swords have higher requirements to using them. And level requirements on Passive Skills keeps the player from getting too good too early.

RDreamer said:
Loving the game so far. It's like nostalgia from how much I loved FFT and from my limited play time with the original mixed with something completely new. I just got my butt handed to me in the uphill undead fight like 4 or 5 fights in, though.

It is optional, and you can do it later in the chapter.

It is super important for a sidequest later on, so you should do it before you end C1.

Jinko

Quixzlizx said:
FFTA1 is never the greatest SRPG ever.

It's too bad SE didn't take the same time and effort with The War of the Lions as they have with this game otherwise it would have been.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jinko said:
It's too bad SE didn't take the same time and effort with The War of the Lions as they have with this game otherwise it would have been.

War of the Lions is passable for the new translation. If there was a way to infuse that translation in the PSN copy of the PSX version (and let it run on OFW PS3/PSP's) it'd be the greatest thing ever (minus no Balither).

Edit: But they're talking about Final Fantasy Tactics ADVANCE on the Gameboy ADVANCE from 2003. Which wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

Also the game has now opened up for me and I'm overwhelmed at what I want to learn and choose the classes. Oh god. D:

My local Gamestop just called to say they have the game but no Tarot Cards preorder bonus... I was the only preorder for that store for this game... did any one else in Canada receive the Tarot Cards with their preorder? I'm really pissed... I told them the only reason I preordered a physical copy was for the preorder bonus, and if they can't produce the cards they can stuff it - I'll buy it from PSN so I'll have it for my NGP... :(

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:
There is nothing linking them and there won't be until Matsuno himself gives the word.

And linking them would be pretty contrived. They were created separately, and have pretty different rules of magic and mythology.

Jinko

suzu said:
FFFFFUU--

I hate undead. Those two early necromancer battles are brutal.

Yea if you don't have excorism your pretty much screwed on those fights, its really annoying that only priest and clerics can't learn it.

I really don't like the way the leveling is done in this game, my healers are overleveling at a crazy rate and im finding it hard to balance some of my melee, starting a new class from level 1 is a complete pain, I suppose the good news is that encounters are based on the parties make up and not the highest class that you own.

On another note Octopus and Dragons kick ass XD

Yaweee

suzu said:
FFFFFUU--

I hate undead. Those two early necromancer battles are brutal.

Yeah, especially with how expensive Exorcism is to cast. It's almost like you need to use the MP item to have a chance to use it.

Remember, though, that a huge variety of characters can still learn and cast Divine magic. There are plenty of "Red Mage" characters that can do everything, but no one thing anywhere near as well as Knights, Archers, Wizards, or Clerics. Rune Fencer/Valkyrie can easily be running around attacking, all the while building up MP to unleash in an Exorcism.

I completed the battle fine at level 4 with only casting Exorcism once
I had Canopus fly up, snipe enemies, and once he had enough for a Finishing Blow, killed a slightly weakened boss

Jinko said:
Yea if you don't have excorism your pretty much screwed on those fights, its really annoying that only priest and clerics can't learn it.

I really don't like the way the leveling is done in this game, my healers are overleveling at a crazy rate and im finding it hard to balance some of my melee, starting a new class from level 1 is a complete pain, I suppose the good news is that encounters are based on the parties make up and not the highest class that you own.

It's been pretty fair to me. The class exp curve is pretty generous, so after a single battle a class will jump to level 2 or 3. And likewise, despite having two Wizards, the class is at the same level or maybe one higher than Canopus' Voltan.

Jinko said:

Anyone can cast it from a scroll. It's worth buying a few extra just for these fights.

Jinko

Basileus777 said:
Anyone can cast it from a scroll. It's worth buying a few extra just for these fights.

Thats true, but can get pretty costly, I can't seem to make my money stretch very far now that im using mana berries ;.;

Fimbulvetr said:
There is nothing linking them and there won't be until Matsuno himself gives the word.

The Dynast King is mentioned in both FFXII and this. Also the Rood Inverse is an item here as well as in Vagrant Story. Not that I'm saying they're connected, though.

Pinko Marx said:
The Dynast King is mentioned in both FFXII and this. Also the Rood Inverse is an item here as well as in Vagrant Story. Not that I'm saying they're connected, though.

There are also references to the descendants of a Count Orlandeau.

TommyT

Lyonaz said:
It's copying to my PSP from the PS3 right now 47%!

Fuck yeah! All Hail Lord Matsuno!

Ok, this might be PSP101 but I'm borrowing it from a friend so...

I've got TO coming in from amazon. I've got a PSP (his has custom firmware on it and I haven't checked the version or if the game plays on this particular version) and I've got a PS3 on firmware 3.42 I believe as it's been some time since I've been online with it.

Can we play the PSP game on the PS3?!

edit: quick google search ftw!

suzu

Yaweee said:
Yeah, especially with how expensive Exorcism is to cast. It's almost like you need to use the MP item to have a chance to use it.

Remember, though, that a huge variety of characters can still learn and cast Divine magic. There are plenty of "Red Mage" characters that can do everything, but no one thing anywhere near as well as Knights, Archers, Wizards, or Clerics. Rune Fencer/Valkyrie can easily be running around attacking, all the while building up MP to unleash in an Exorcism.

I completed the battle fine at level 4 with only casting Exorcism once
I had Canopus fly up, snipe enemies, and once he had enough for a Finishing Blow, killed a slightly weakened boss

After restarting twice, I finally just ended up
sending Canopus backed by 3 knights. Canopus did nearly all the damage to the boss while the 3 just healed lol. The rest of my party stayed below and ran around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The music is so good~

Joule

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
My local Gamestop just called to say they have the game but no Tarot Cards preorder bonus... I was the only preorder for that store for this game... did any one else in Canada receive the Tarot Cards with their preorder? I'm really pissed... I told them the only reason I preordered a physical copy was for the preorder bonus, and if they can't produce the cards they can stuff it - I'll buy it from PSN so I'll have it for my NGP... :(

No I don't think any place in Canada got the preorder bonus. : (

I just got the game. Can't wait to get into it.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
In chapter 3....dragon/beasts/anything with high armor are a pain in the ass to take down :( I have the draconogoly, anatomy,etc but still do 10-20 damage each attack so it would take 2-3 turns to take down one unit.

careful

I'm only getting my Go tomorrow so noob question:
Does it matter if I buy it on PC or PS3? Do I need a special cable to transfer to the Go for either of those?

careful said:
I'm only getting my Go tomorrow so noob question:
Does it matter if I buy it on PC or PS3? Do I need a special cable to transfer to the Go for either of those?

Not sure about PC. The Go comes with the USB cable you need to transfer it off PSN if you use your PS3. Very easy.

Jb

Whoompthereitis said:
Not sure about PC. The Go comes with the USB cable you need to transfer it off PSN if you use your PS3. Very easy.
You use the same cable on the PC.

TommyT

So if I buy this through PSN on my PC, I can transfer it to my PS3 just like that? Would save me the hassle of having to get on the net with my PS3 if so.

joelseph

TommyT said:
So if I buy this through PSN on my PC, I can transfer it to my PS3 just like that? Would save me the hassle of having to get on the net with my PS3 if so.

AFAIK it works like this:

Using the Go Media thing on PC allows you to download the game to your PSP when it is attached to the computer through USB.

If you then want it on your PS3 you have to redownload it from your PSN order history on the PS3.

Forkball

The only Ogre game I've played is Ogre Battle 64. How is TO different from that and in comparison to something like FFT or other SRPGs?

TommyT

Forkball said:
The only Ogre game I've played is Ogre Battle 64. How is TO different from that and in comparison to something like FFT or other SRPGs?

TO is more like FFT (and other grid based srpgs) than OB64 as that is more like Ogre Battle (snes and psx).

If you'd played FFT, Disgaea, and games of that ilk then expect TO to play more like them.

SteveO409 said:
In chapter 3....dragon/beasts/anything with high armor are a pain in the ass to take down :( I have the draconogoly, anatomy,etc but still do 10-20 damage each attack so it would take 2-3 turns to take down one unit.

Same issue I'm having. Dragons are just a general pain in the ass. They soak damage and can dish it back out threefold. I've found poison to be a good way of softening them up. Actually, mages in general are good at taking them out, but even then it takes a good 3-5 turns of concentrated attacks to take just one out. The battle I'm going through right now has 3 of them.
*sigh*

Yaweee

People are doing testing on base stat growth on GameFAQS:

1) Even leveling in a class from 1->50 (max class level) gives an increase on the order of 5 to each base stat.
2) Some are speculating that this is lower than the JP version.

Not sure if there's much truth to #2, or how good the statistical significance is to #1.

Yaweee said:
People are doing testing on base stat growth on GameFAQS:

1) Even leveling in a class from 1->50 (max class level) gives an increase on the order of 5 to each base stat.
2) Some are speculating that this is lower than the JP version.

Not sure if there's much truth to #2, or how good the statistical significance is to #1.

Stat growth seems slower than the Japanese version, but I wonder if it's only for generics. I loaded up a save from chapter 1 and compared some of my chapter 3 characters. For the generics there's only a slight increase by a point or two, but for Denam and Canopus, their stats have grown more. Maybe I just picked up a ton of cards

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
Stat growth seems slower than the Japanese version, but I wonder if it's only for generics. I loaded up a save from chapter 1 and compared some of my chapter 3 characters. For the generics there's only a slight increase by a point or two, but for Denam and Canopus, their stats have grown more. Maybe I just picked up a ton of cards

I suspect it is the cards, and that Canopus and Denam have likely been used in every single fight.

suzu said:
The music is so good~
This is what caught me the most off-guard. Not only are the songs great, but the quality is incredible. Headphones are a must with the crappy PSP speakers.

I don't know how Square-Enix couldn't make another Tactics Ogre game after how good this game is. I hope it sells well.

Seriously considering buying a second copy on the PSN, just so that I have it ready for the NGP.

Jinko

Yea dragons are a pain if they aren't in your party, I got 1 of each colour at the moment :D

Maybe I just picked up a ton of cards

Thought I read in the warren report that cards bonus aren't permenant and only last during the fight.

timnich

Finally started playing, and got to the end of chapter 1. I'm glad the chariot system is in, helped me out sooo much in the first few battles as I was learning the mechanics. I don't really use it anymore though unless I make a really stupid costly mistake. I was just wondering if it's possible to recruit the bird people units. Do they count as humans, or what?

Ok, umm...

Does this game not work with custom firmware or something? I'm running 5.50 Prometheus. I go through just fine through the first battle, meet the Knights, off to the first castle...and then once I get to that first battle the game just stops loading. You can hear the UMD spin down and eventually the system just turns itself off.

It sounds like one of those anti-piracy things, but this is a legit copy I *just* bought from an EB two hours ago. It's not the PSP's drive since I popped in other games and it works fine, so I'm at a loss here.

Any help?

Victrix

*beard*
Reading this thread is pure pain. I'm too busy with life right now to even think about touching this game, because I know it will consume my soul.

Figure out how to post screenshots, I want to seeeeee :(

Jinko said:
Yea dragons are a pain if they aren't in your party, I got 1 of each colour at the moment :D

Thought I read in the warren report that cards bonus aren't permenant and only last during the fight.

I haven't bothered doing any recruiting. How easy is it and what class has the skill for dragons?

Jinko said:

Yeah, they're permanent gains. What would be the point of a small stat increase or a loyalty bonus if it was temporary?

Yaweee

Pinko Marx said:
I haven't bothered doing any recruiting. How easy is it and what class has the skill for dragons?

Beastmasters get the skills for all of the L-type monsters, though Dragons are a separate skill, still learnable by them.

The odds for recruiting suck. Even with Coax, + the Reptile affinity skill, standing next to a Lizardman in critical condition, the displayed odds are 34%. And it takes multiple turns to build up that much TP.

Fortunately, you can Act and use a Skill (which the recruiting abilities fall under) in the same turn.

Top Bottom