• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

suzu

For that Cistina battle I just sent Canopus to babysit her with some heal scrolls until everybody else moved closer.

Canopus is so useful. :p

Yaweee

It may have taken me an hour and every single healing item I had because I only used 6 people and equipped Canopus with a Tomahawk+1 that I didn't know was one use only, but I managed to recruit both octopi in 2L's aquaduct. That was a fun battle.

Octopi are fun

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fimbulvetr said:
The fight right after is the Necromancer, it's optional though.

Any tips for the Necromancer? Everyone is stock class and equipment besides the defense ring on the people that don't have Yellow aura'd items.

TheSeks said:
Any tips for the Necromancer? Everyone is stock class and equipment besides the defense ring on the people that don't have Yellow aura'd items.

Everyone is a distraction. Canopus is the star player.

Unlike other battles where taking out the boss is an option, here it's necessary.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Cistina's fight seemed to depend on how I positioned my units. The first few times, they all went straight at here when I sent the Hawkman onto the roofs. The last time (I was successful), I leveled up a bit through random fights, and most of the enemy units attacked my units, or hid in the corner.

TheSeks

Fimbulvetr said:
Everyone is a distraction. Canopus is the star player.

Unlike other battles where taking out the boss is an option, here it's necessary.

So basically, protect Canopus... have him use his bow to hit the boss and pray to god I don't fall for the title?

Edit: Also does quitting to XMB and going back into the game count against you for the "No one fell/died" titles? If so I've fucked up twice. :/

Been trying to do the battles with no falling/deaths. It makes the game a lot harder as you have to micromanage health/MP and pray to do enough damage to each unit to focus on another.

With the starting 30,000 you get, should I spend it on adding recruits? If so, what classes are good to grab?

Also, a question. Is there a male version of Valkyrie? Is it the Rune Knight? In general, do the male and female versions of a class get the same experience, or are they considered separate?

TheSeks

robotzombie said:
With the starting 30,000 you get, should I spend it on adding recruits? If so, what classes are good to grab?

Get least 7 defense rings. Trust me on this. Or 7 attack rings. Maybe get some healing items to help out the medic units when they don't have MP/need health NOW units.

Anything else is kinda useless for a bit unless you're wanting to level up things.

Adding recruits I haven't done. If it's like FFT they're all useless and the given units you get is more than fine for the game.

TheSeks said:
So basically, protect Canopus... have him use his bow to hit the boss and pray to god I don't fall for the title?

Edit: Also does quitting to XMB and going back into the game count against you for the "No one fell/died" titles? If so I've fucked up twice. :/

Been trying to do the battles with no falling/deaths. It makes the game a lot harder as you have to micromanage health/MP and pray to do enough damage to each unit to focus on another.

You shouldn't need to protect him too much.

TheSeks

Fimbulvetr said:
You shouldn't need to protect him too much.

Well, obviously since he's the Overpowered unit in the game so far. (Grinned when he wanted to be recruited after him and his guest team destroyed everyone in the tutorial battles. FUCK YEAR)

What is the max class level, BTW? Want to know when I switch the main character from Warrior to Knight.

TheSeks said:
Well, obviously since he's the Overpowered unit in the game so far. (Grinned when he wanted to be recruited after him and his guest team destroyed everyone in the tutorial battles. FUCK YEAR)

What is the max class level, BTW? Want to know when I switch the main character from Warrior to Knight.

No, because the path you should be taking him through is devoid of all but one skeleton archer and can only be accessed through his flight.

You might wanna buy some buffing items.

If you get too frustrated, you can just not do the battle and continue with the story.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Qq, on the cisrina battle the first time, does your answer to the question after effect her joining you? I picked the first option. Would rather not have to do that fight again, but i want her

TheSeks said:

The max level is 50, which you won't reach in one normal playthrough. There's little reason not to switch to Knight immediately.

Yaweee

John Harker said:
Qq, on the cisrina battle the first time, does your answer to the question after effect her joining you? I picked the first option. Would rather not have to do that fight again, but i want her

I don't believe so. As long as she doesn't croak you're fine I think. How to get her will change depending on which path you take.

It's possible and simple to reach 50. My archer is level 41 and I didn't finish yet. I've been trying to get those 2 handed Thunder bow, but it never drops from the enemies. Maxed out Strengthen and Fortify 4 for my main group now. I need to unlock the other characters so I can grind the other classes to maximize stats for everybody.

I'm still rocking crappy ass weapons hahaha

Fuck yeah. Got Gildas and Mirdyn back. Time to kick out my generics and have one of them take over Berserker.

Yaweee said:
It may have taken me an hour and every single healing item I had because I only used 6 people and equipped Canopus with a Tomahawk+1 that I didn't know was one use only, but I managed to recruit both octopi in 2L's aquaduct. That was a fun battle.

Octopi are fun

I hate those things! So much better after getting a Dragoon with Beastslayer, but holy hell. Aquablast is annoying as hell.

Yaweee said:
The crafting system is so dumb. The stupid animation, the failure rate, the one at a time... what were they thinking?

I just spent 30 minutes making a handful of items. Awful.

Nif said:
Crafting system hasn't bothered me at all yet, but then I've played Final Fantasy XI for a long time.

My condolences.

It's really that there are obvious simple ways to make crafting much less painful, but they were ignored.

vyce just died as a guest in an early mission. he threw a gem up in the air and disappeared. is there any problem with this, or is it fine for a guest character to die?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
robotzombie said:
vyce just died as a guest in an early mission. he threw a gem up in the air and disappeared. is there any problem with this, or is it fine for a guest character to die?

There's no plenty as far as I've experienced yet. They just retreat.

Teknoman

A few questions:

Where is the number that indicates the current skill of a weapon type? Is it the number next to the piercing/slashing/crushing/etc. icon?

Also are certain enemies weaker against certain types of melee attacks? Im guessing that would be the only benefit to equipping two different types of weapons? Dont see any benefit to equipping two of the same type atm.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So it looks like none of the special characters in this version ever change their sprites. When I saw that Arycelle had a different color palette I was hoping that they'd done something similar to the PSX version of Ogre Battle where special characters with changeable classes would use the sprite of their current class but with a unique color scheme.

But no. She ain't never gonna be nothin' but an Archer in a black beret.

Teknoman said:
A few questions:

Where is the number that indicates the current skill of a weapon type? Is it the number next to the piercing/slashing/crushing/etc. icon?

Also are certain enemies weaker against certain types of melee attacks? Im guessing that would be the only benefit to equipping two different types of weapons? Dont see any benefit to equipping two of the same type atm.

The current skill level of a weapon type is on the Skills screen, not the Equipment screen. Then when you put the cursor over the skill in the little info pop-up there's a thing that says "Current Rank" or something similar. That's your level with that weapon type. To level it up you need to have not only the weapon but the corresponding skill equipped, and the skill will gain experience as you use the weapon. There's a little experience bar in the skill info window to track its progress, and when it ranks up there's a cute little "Skill Rank Up" notice that pops up over the character's head.

The only time it really seems worth it to equip two weapons is when you're in a class that can attack with two weapons or if you're rocking a melee weapon and a ranged weapon, Canopus style. Though I had Denam and a generic Knight follow Canopus' lead and gave them each a sword and a crossbow, but it turns out that hardly any classes can use one handed swords and the only one-handed crossbow I've seen is the podunk starter one. So I ended up with two characters with a poorly generalizable weapon skill and a weapon skill with no decent weapons available to use it with.

And it seemed like such a terribly clever idea at the time.

duckroll

1TT1z.jpg

I guess I'm stuck on the Law path for the rest of the game now! :(

Totakeke

I'm in the middle of Chapter 3 and I think using too many classes is hurting me. I haven't really grinded up till now and at the current battles I'm like 2-3 levels below the enemy units, which seems to make a hugee difference of how much damage I can deal to the high armor units (even archers can only deal 1, and mages like ~10). Maybe it's time to consolidate my classes, leveling up new classes until they can actually fight in battles is such a slow process too.

Also I was going to level up dragoons so I can get some help in fighting off dragons, but given how much time you need to spend for a situational class, I think I'll just leave them off.

Totakeke said:
I'm in the middle of Chapter 3 and I think using too many classes is hurting me. I haven't really grinded up till now and at the current battles I'm like 2-3 levels below the enemy units, which seems to make a hugee difference of how much damage I can deal to the high armor units (even archers can only deal 1, and mages like ~10). Maybe it's time to consolidate my classes, leveling up new classes until they can actually fight in battles is such a slow process too.

Also I was going to level up dragoons so I can get some help in fighting off dragons, but given how much time you need to spend for a situational class, I think I'll just leave them off.

No. Level that dragoon. They're a godsend against dragons.

Totakeke

Pinko Marx said:
No. Level that dragoon. They're a godsend against dragons.

What skills do they get at 10+ levels? I'm not so enthusiastic about them because even beast tamers are getting less and less use from me.

Totakeke said:
What skills do they get at 10+ levels? I'm not so enthusiastic about them because even beast tamers are getting less and less use from me.

Dragonslayer is the only skill you need. At level 13 my Dragoon does ~130 damage to a dragon for 40 TP. And they have skills that give members around you bonus damage to dragons.

duckroll

Y2Kev said:
God, assigning skill points is paralyzing.

Yeah, I don't do party management often because there's just too much to do. But the design seems to suit a play style where you spend a long time working on equipping and assigning/learning skills/spells for your entire party at one go, and then that set up should carry you through the next few hours of the game.

Totakeke

Y2Kev said:
God, assigning skill points is paralyzing.

duckroll said:
Yeah, I don't do party management often because there's just too much to do. But the design seems to suit a play style where you spend a long time working on equipping and assigning/learning skills/spells for your entire party at one go, and then that set up should carry you through the next few hours of the game.

After a while, maybe a chapter, you'll wish there's more things to do on the skills. Within the first 10 levels you only get like two unique skills for each class.

God damn, rain is pissing me off.

If it's light rain then I'm okay. But when it's heavy with lightning and everything Canopus and my archer take a huge hit to their usefulness.

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
God damn, rain is pissing me off.

If it's light rain then I'm okay. But when it's heavy with lightning and everything Canopus and my archer take a huge hit to their usefulness.

That's when your back flank of magicians finally get to come out and party!

Yaweee

- The "new" stages are all pretty cool, using a bit better of a color palette and more creative use of heights now that
- Cyclops don't seem very good. Once they get better magic skill, perhaps, but their strength is too low to make their Throw Boulder anywhere near as great as Octopi.
- Finally the Wildwoods! I've been looking forward to this (remember to check the "Talk" section of the report in C2!) Time to get a full monster team.
- I agree, too many troops to get finicky with your skill layouts after each battle. It's better to do it all at once every so often, unless you know you have a new skill available to go for.
- Archers are always going to do poor damage to the heavily armored targets, so don't worry too much about 1~10 for being a few levels low. Even at a level higher with all of the appropriate skills I don't do much more than that. Also, check what skills the enemies have. Sometimes they have pretty brutal sets.

thefil said:
Game is really starting to piss me off.

I'm on mission 5 or so, where you
protect this stupid-ass bitch who's being attacked by the G-something faction's soldiers
. The first time, I would've won except that I chariot-ed to protect one my party members, and then the
horrible wretch of a woman
died. Since then, every consecutive attempt (four more in total) has resulted in the
pointy-faced schrew
charging into battle with less protection, taking more critical hits, and dying faster. In my last attempt, she took four critical hits in the first turn, dying before I could move any of my characters more than one turn.

How the fuck am I intended to handle this battle? My party is more than capable of handling the enemy units, but I don't control the guest's AI and she seems hell-bent on making me loathe her with every fibre of my being.

I saved her no problem, but the
thunder maiden
died when I tried saving her. I'm trying not to be completely anal with this game because of the Wheel of Fortune feature. If some guest goes off and gets himself killed on account of their own stupidity, I say fuck'em.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
are Beast Tamers really that useful? Never did like using beasts in my fights (if your not a grinder), too many human characters to worry about leveling.

TheSeks

Fuck. Can't get the dude up the vertical part of the map quickly enough to start hammering the dude before the skeletons come toward the rest of my party.

And if I damage him, he'll heal it off. FFFFFFF.

I need a haste spell. ;___;

Snakeyes

TheSeks said:
Fuck. Can't get the dude up the vertical part of the map quickly enough to start hammering the dude before the skeletons come toward the rest of my party.

And if I damage him, he'll heal it off. FFFFFFF.

I need a haste spell. ;___;

Put him as close to the wall as possible when you're setting up your units before the battle.

Yaweee

Some people earlier were saying that the units that participate get more Class Exp, but being at a lower level gives much, much greater exp. My Terror Knight at lvl1 that did absolutely nothing the entire fight got 3x the exp as the Voltan lvl10 that actually did something.

Krispy Killa v3 said:
are Beast Tamers really that useful? Never did like using beasts in my fights (if your not a grinder), too many human characters to worry about leveling.

They're fun, at least, but I haven't gotten all of the different beast types or any dragons yet. Octopi are great, Griffons are pretty good, Cyclops are a bit hit or miss (getting better with some magic skills on them)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I know, most of the skills aren't even really skills I'd invest in. But to have 20 characters and see this huge list of skills (and inventory...) is like omg this could take me forever just to read through the options.

Teknoman

Teknoman said:
Cool, guess i'll start focusing my Berserkers on one weapon type then.

So whats the blue number next to the damage type then?

Crappy paint representation, but it looks like this:

347aepz.jpg

Cant find anything in the manual about it, and the in game help just describes the damage type.

Well fuck. (End of Chapter 1 Spoilers, Chaos)
Dame Raveness has died.
I really wanted to recruit her, and she seemed like a cool character. Do you get her on other paths?

Jinko

Mr. Wonderful said:
Well fuck. (End of Chapter 1 Spoilers, Chaos)
Dame Raveness has died.
I really wanted to recruit her, and she seemed like a cool character. Do you get her on other paths?

LAW is the top path right ?, cause if so same outcome.

Gryphon and Cockatrice are craptastic :(

Woot. Cistina Battle beaten on 2nd try. Ended up just pulling everyone to the front to distract them from her. Killed everyone in the process including the dragon <3

Top Bottom