• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

duckroll

Jinko said:
LAW is the top path right ?, cause if so same outcome.

Gryphon and Cockatrice are craptastic :(

Law is actually the bottom path. This is confusing for people because lots of people think that law = good, chaos = evil. This is not the case at all. Law and Chaos as alignments have nothing to do with good or evil. Law is the path of obedience and order. Following the law of the land and the instructions you swore to carry out. Chaos is the path of freedom and disorder. Breaking from set paths to fulfill your own justice.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Well fuck. (End of Chapter 1 Spoilers, Chaos)
Dame Raveness has died.
I really wanted to recruit her, and she seemed like a cool character. Do you get her on other paths?

You can only get her on Law.

The Lawful path gets the best unique characters to an even greater degree in the remake.

duckroll

Basileus777 said:
You can only get her on Law.

The Lawful path gets the best unique characters to an even greater degree in the remake.

I'll have to Wheel of Fortune that shit after beating the game.

I'm on the Law path, but I swiftly cut the bitch down when she got all worked up. I couldn't have a liability on the battlefield after all. It wasn't racism, I swear!

Jinko

So when you finish the game and can use the wheel of fortune, do you get to collect all the unique charcters or will the ones you had previously be removed from your list by going back to certain events.. :S ?

duckroll

Jinko said:
So when you finish the game and can use the wheel of fortune, do you get to collect all the unique charcters or will the ones you had previously be removed from your list by going back to certain events.. :S ?

I'm pretty sure you warp back with the exact party set up you have at the end of the game. It's sort of a Super New Game+ where you can warp to any anchor point and collect everything you're missing.

Jinko said:

You can catch them all to create your ultimate broken party.

Snakeyes

Guys, how do I beat the
first Vyce battle
without
Arycelle running off and getting herself killed
? Tried making Denam into a Ninja but leveling him up so he can use katanas is a pain without the training option.

Yaweee

The C2 bonus dungeon is fantastic. Amazing music (almost all new OB remixes), tons of hard and small battles, tons of loot and enemies to recruit that are hard to find elsewhere, and earlier in the game than many side dungeons. Great stuff.

It does accentuate how dumb the "One Recruit Skill only" idea is, though.

Nif

Do counterattacks raise your skill levels? It's taking forever to get to level 2 on any weapon but my archer's bow.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Snakeyes said:
Guys, how do I beat the
first Vyce battle
without
Arycelle running off and getting herself killed
? Tried making Denam into a Ninja but leveling him up so he can use katanas is a pain without the training option.

Unequip her bow. If she doesn't have anything to attack with she'll run and hide instead of charging right up next to dual-wielding psycho boy.

Nif said:
Do counterattacks raise your skill levels? It's taking forever to get to level 2 on any weapon but my archer's bow.

Yep. Fastest way to gain weapon ranks is to get into a random battle, kill all but one enemy, and then have two dudes with counterattack smack each other over and over again.

First time playing an Ogre game. I've always had an appreciation from afar but knee deep into Chapter 2 at this point and I am absolutely hooked. The choices you are required to make and some of the actions you carry out, either by choice or accident, are intense.

Sadly, while this is just anecdotal, in my area no one preordered from my gamestop; The clerk gave me one of the four tarot card decks even though I hadn't preordered it either. They are pretty beautiful, so I'm glad for that.

Teknoman said:
Looking closer at the manual, the blue numbers under damage type are...resistance level or some sort of damage mod?

For armor, yes. For weapons, its the level of damage of that type, I'm guessing.

Yaweee

Untrodden Marsh in the C2 bonus dungeon is brutalizing me. 3 dragons, 3 undead, and 2 fairies, with shitty terrain and you're only allowed six units =(

Magnus

Where might I find a solid wiki-style rundown on the entire Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle series? Google and wikipedia have managed to be most unhelpful.

Yaweee said:
Untrodden Marsh in the C2 bonus dungeon is brutalizing me. 3 dragons, 3 undead, and 2 fairies, with shitty terrain and you're only allowed six units =(

Oh yeah. Enjoy that battle. :3
I generally deal with battles like that by having my knights tank them, my more mobile units (like Ninja or Rogue) taking out the mages or archers, and my mages debuffing the dragons and anything else that makes it past the other units.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Magnus said:
Where might I find a solid wiki-style rundown on the entire Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle series? Google and wikipedia have managed to be most unhelpful.
The only way you can really do it is by combing through all available sources and then putting forth your own definition of sorts.

I had a .txt file floating around that I did for myself during a lazy weekend and I managed to fill out most of the story sequences throughout the three main games and two gaidens, alongside character motivations and such. It was such a geeky moment but alas I have no idea where the hell it is now.

Yaweee

The original didn't have nearly this many in-battle dialogues between Vyce and Canopus, did it? Or even at all? This shit is golden.

Masaki_

So I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2C and is it just me or some (if not most) of the classes are just plain bad? Rune fencer, for example, can use magic and physical attacks, but it sucks at both, so I have no reason to use one when I already have wizards, warriors and clerics on the field. I also recently got access to terror knight, beastmaster and ninja and those seem to suck as well. It seems to be a downgrade from FFT where pretty much every class could be used.

Yaweee

Masaki_ said:
So I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2C and is it just me or some (if not most) of the classes are just plain bad? Rune fencer, for example, can use magic and physical attacks, but it sucks at both, so I have no reason to use one when I already have wizards, warriors and clerics on the field. I also recently got access to terror knight, beastmaster and ninja and those seem to suck as well. It seems to be a downgrade from FFT where pretty much every class could be used.

FFT had plenty of bunk classes, good for one skill then little else.

Rune Fencers: Spears, healing (which doesn't suffer much compared to clerics) and ranged spells in a punch, while having reasonable defense to be near the front line.

Beast Master: Necessary to recruit extremely powerful beasts and dragons.

I haven't much used Terror Knights yet.

Part of the problem comes from the good, unique skills not showing up until later. Early on there are just some decent passive skills and the recruitment abilities, but not much in terms of useful TP dumps.

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:
I know about the first one, with the rocks. Do they keep doing that?
Not continually, but there's plenty of mid-battle dialogues if you use certain characters in specific battles. The Canopus and Vyce stuff continues later, and I didn't recall any of that from the original version.

Masaki_

Yaweee said:
FFT had plenty of bunk classes, good for one skill then little else.

Rune Fencers: Spears, healing (which doesn't suffer much compared to clerics) and ranged spells in a punch, while having reasonable defense to be near the front line.

Beast Master: Necessary to recruit extremely powerful beasts and dragons.

I haven't much used Terror Knights yet.

Part of the problem comes from the good, unique skills not showing up until later. Early on there are just some decent passive skills and the recruitment abilities, but not much in terms of useful TP dumps.

That's the thing, at least in FFT you could combine skills from multiple classes to make some awesome hybrids.

And Rune fencers just plain suck. They do almost no damage (with either physical or magical attacks) and knights can also heal and have much more hp, defense and strength. Is it asking too much to have good hybrid classes in my RPGs?

Masaki_ said:
That's the thing, at least in FFT you could combine skills from multiple classes to make some awesome hybrids.

But then the base classes would still be bullshit. You'd be better off just combining two classes that don't suck.

Also hire a god damned Octopus before you tell me a beast tamer sucks.

Joule

Yaweee said:
The original didn't have nearly this many in-battle dialogues between Vyce and Canopus, did it? Or even at all? This shit is golden.

Yeah pretty much all these in battle dialogue is great.

Has anyone fiddled around Rouges yet? How are they?

ferr

Probably been asked a dozen times, but about getting Revness.. I chose the first option at the end of ch1 which leads to 2L and
now I'm fighting her, can I just put her to sleep and kill everyone else?

Joule said:

Like most other "advanced" classes, they don't really come into their own until around level 11. Sneak Attack can be pretty dang powerful, and they're fast/mobile enough to make good item healers. Steal seems kind of worthless: While it tends to be successful more often than not, most of what you get is junky crafting materials.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Joule said:

I'm in Chapter 2 right now, and my level 9 rogue is surprisingly good, even though I've completely ignored stealing. Sneak Attack is big damage, and I like the self-Quickening ability, too.

ixix

Fimbulvetr said:
But then the base classes would still be bullshit. You'd be better off just combining two classes that don't suck.

Also hire a god damned Octopus before you tell me a beast tamer sucks.

I think that speaks more to the efficacy of the Octopus than it does to the Beast Tamer.

I ended up giving my Tamer a bow and a Lobber along with Field Alchemy skills to make him useful. He's still pretty much my worst character, but at least he can accomplish something. He started life as a Soldier trained in axes, but after a few battles I decided that melee weapons were nothing if not the pen with which he intended to write a suicide letter.

The fact that he can only equip one recruiting skill at once is hilariously stupid, though, and somehow makes me hate him even more than I am naturally inclined to.

Yaweee

ixix said:
The fact that he can only equip one recruiting skill at once is hilariously stupid, though, and somehow makes me hate him even more than I am naturally inclined to.

I can't even fathom why the developers put the restriction in place. They create around 25 demi-human or monster exclusive classes, and then they put in a massive roadblock that turns any opportunity to recruit them in to a "Oh, there are those in this battle. Time to reset and bring that skill.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Game. Good.

Opinions. on. classes?

Knight, Cleric, Wizard, Archer: The Bread and Butter of each Melee/Tank, Healing, Spell Damage, and Ranged Physical. Hard to go wrong with any. Clerics are the only early class that gets Exorcise, and Knights can get Heal.

Warrior: I don't know what they do, even. Presumably more attack and less defense than knights?

Beastmaster: Ailment Blowguns are pretty nice, but for the most part the draw is their Beast and Dragon Recruit/Buff skills

Rune Fencer/Valkyrie: Can fill many roles... poorly. Hybrid with a huge tax for it. However, they can at least do something other than healing with very little penalty, as unlike Clerics they can use Holy offensive magics.

Berserker: Very powerful melee, at the expense of some defense. They can hit multiple units at once.

Terror Knight: Presumably get a good aura later on, but I don't really know.

Ninja: Ridiculously high melee damage (double attack), plus some offensive magic?

Thief: Fast, supposedly pretty good.

As for monster classes:
Octopi: Fucking fantastic. Ranged attacks, slightly weaker and less accurate than an archer, but have better movement, faster turn ordering, and great special skills.
Cyclops: Eh, kind of like Rune Valkyries, except with better range, higher defense/HP, but no healing
Griffons: Like Octopi, but a bit better in melee range and have better movement to go along with it. Specials aren't as good.
Dragons: Weak regular attack, huge defense, really powerful specials (breaths that hit in a line, tail whips that hit at a range. There are around 10 different dragon classes, each with slightly different stat growth and specials.

Other---
Vartan: Isn't Canopus exclusive, pretty good. Like an Archer, but with some magic and uses Crossbows primarily over full bows.

All demi-human races have some unique/special classes, and other Human classes. Recruiting any beyond Fairies and or Lizardmen can be a bitch.

Also note that weight plays in to turn order, so units with light armor get more turns.

ixix said:
I think that speaks more to the efficacy of the Octopus than it does to the Beast Tamer.

I ended up giving my Tamer a bow and a Lobber along with Field Alchemy skills to make him useful. He's still pretty much my worst character, but at least he can accomplish something. He started life as a Soldier trained in axes, but after a few battles I decided that melee weapons were nothing if not the pen with which he intended to write a suicide letter.

But who else will recruit the Octopus?

Not to mention dragons, and then there's a skill that makes allied monsters even more powerful.

Masaki_

Jerk 2.0 said:
Game. Good.

Opinions. on. classes?

So far, they all suck except for the basic ones. My Denam is still a Warrior and has a decent damage output now that I have Anatomy+Strenghten+Truestrike. Other than him, I use 2 Archers for some nice ranged damage, 2 Wizards for magic damage, 2 Knights for tanking and 2 Clerics for healing, plus Canopus, which I'm tempted to change to an Archer, but I'm still not sure if I want to sacrifice the great movement a Vartan has.

Still hoping for more classes that are better at killing than the ones I have, instead of the usual bad classes that sacrifice all stats for a gimmick that may be useful in one out of a hundred battles.

ixix

Yaweee said:
I can't even fathom why the developers put the restriction in place. They create around 25 demi-human or monster exclusive classes, and then they put in a massive roadblock that turns any opportunity to recruit them in to a "Oh, there are those in this battle. Time to reset and bring that skill.

I love how it has a specific error message for when you equip a second one, where it's all "I see what you're trying to do, and why you want to do it, but I feel like fuckin' with ya, so I unequipped your other recruiting skill."

It's so brutally honest.

Fimbulvetr said:
But who else will recruit the Octopus?

Not to mention dragons, and then there's a skill that makes allied monsters even more powerful.

In a saner world, the recruiting would be done by the shopkeep. But alas, such is not the world we inhabit.

And you know what makes allied monsters even more powerful? Having an actual competent combatant on their team instead of having Crapsack McDeadweight following them around like a skeevy bandanna-d groupie.

This has been my strategy for everything! Fly in canopus.
nx8dv6.jpg

Let the wizard do work.
zn0a43.jpg

Also its kinda nice taking Screenshots even if these 2 are kinda bad.

Jerk

Banned
So I am safe in dropping my Rune Knight and my Beast-master?

I have a Berserker that I am not too sure about as well; I think I may keep her for now.

Also, anyone know if the Warrior is any good later on? I have kept Denem a warrior so far, but I am having second thoughts now.

Jerk 2.0 said:
So I am safe in dropping my Rune Knight and my Beast-master?

I have a Berserker that I am not too sure about as well; I think I may keep her for now.

Also, anyone know if the Warrior is any good later on? I have kept Denem a warrior so far, but I am having second thoughts now.

Same. Once I can go ninja that'll be Denam's new class.

What I don't know is if I should
unlock his exclusive class now or save it for another playthrough.

Masaki_

I think you are. I haven't played this game long enough to know the classes well, but I don't see them becoming useful, honestly. They just have really bad stats. It's like ixix said, having a good, solid unit that can deal damage reliably is better.

By the way, does anyone know how to make my ninjas attack twice per turn? Equipping two weapons isn't enough, it seems.

Masaki_ said:
I think you are. I haven't played this game long enough to know the classes well, but I don't see them becoming useful, honestly. They just have really bad stats. It's like ixix said, having a good, solid unit that can deal damage reliably is better.

By the way, does anyone know how to make my ninjas attack twice per turn? Equipping two weapons isn't enough, it seems.
It's a skill ability.

Teknoman

Drinky Crow said:
this is the best fucking remake ever made.

I'll say.

Did the original have those weather effects? I know they arent that advanced, but man...the graphic effects and sounds really add to the fight.

Definitely thinking about getting into the Ogre series now. I know 64 doesnt play the same, but i'll do what it takes to get into it.

Top Bottom