• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Yaweee

Pinko Marx said:
You can buy any classmarks that you've already collected.

I don't know if that is true. It's just that most of the non-special classes do become available, eventually. I've gotten Beastmaster marks, but only the initial 5 are still available in shops. Some marks for monster classes have to be farmed by Auctioning them (one red dragon returns 2 red dragon marks)

I still haven't bothered doing any recruiting. Its so damn tedious, and the fucking odds are too low. Still, I feel like I'm missing out.

Jinko

Yea I only have copper and 1 silver class-mark (beastmaster) in the shop, although I have picked up a lot of gold and platinum ones also.

I guess you have to farm those.

Yaweee

Pinko Marx said:
I still haven't bothered doing any recruiting. Its so damn tedious, and the fucking odds are too low. Still, I feel like I'm missing out.

Yeah, it really is fucking retarded. I can't see any reason at all why they made it the way they did. You can't even equip multiple "Recruit"-type skills to single characters, so classes like Beastmasters that give you 2 distinct skills essentially recruit you to save/load and equip the correct skill based on the fight.

It's so dumb.

Man

Suzzopher said:
This came to PSN in the States right? Anyone know if us in Europe will be getting it too?
An European trailer released a couple of days ago showed both the PSP and PSN logos at the end (with the date February 25th).

JKTrix

Just as a random aside, I love that the official abbreviation for this game is TACO. Like, if you look at the filename of the wallpaper on the official site, or at some of the data files on your memory stick for the game, they all use TACO. If I had friends that I talked about this stuff to, I would call it Taco.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What determines how much each class gets Exp at the end of a fight? Kind of seems random to me. Some classes get more but I don't even think they did anything to deserve it. I know SP is divided evenly..

And I just won the Nybeth fight on my first try (battle 4, was fun and challenging) but what, NO reward at all? what was even the point.

duckroll

John Harker said:
What determines how much each class gets Exp at the end of a fight? Kind of seems random to me. Some classes get more but I don't even think they did anything to deserve it. I know SP is divided randomly.

Exp is divided evenly at the end of the battle across all represented classes in the battle. So the more characters of a certain class you have in your party, the more percentage of exp that class will get.

Yaweee

John Harker said:
And I just won the Nybeth fight on my first try (battle 4, was fun and challenging) but what, NO reward at all? what was even the point.

1) You get a title
2) It is necessary for one of the bonus dungeons.

I bought this game on Wednesday. Installed it. Then last night I finally transferred it to my PSP.

Hopefully I'll have time to play it one of these days.

How long is the preamble/intro to this? How long after I boot it up until I'm actually 'playing' it?

Yaweee

kafka rock opera said:
No lie i was hoping he would join my team cause fuck yeah necromancers! Is there even a necromancer class you can pick?

Eventually, yes.

Whoompthereitis said:
I bought this game on Wednesday. Installed it. Then last night I finally transferred it to my PSP.

Hopefully I'll have time to play it one of these days.

How long is the preamble/intro to this? How long after I boot it up until I'm actually 'playing' it?

"Intro" Quiz for a few minutes
Several minute opening movie
Immediately jump in a 2~turn tutorial
Some scenes
Two short story battles where you only control the MC, with a bunch of OP NPC's giving tips and demonstrating things.
CONTROL TIME with a full team and class mechanics.

So, 20~30 minutes?

Teknoman

duckroll said:
Exp is divided evenly at the end of the battle across all represented classes in the battle. So the more characters of a certain class you have in your party, the more percentage of exp that class will get.

I'd really like it if more SRPGs adopted this exp system. Makes keeping a balanced group alot easier.

soulhouf said:
Question: (small spoiler regarding jobs)
Now that killing an ally became a pain in the ass, how do we get special jobs like Lich and Angel Knight?

You have to use a special item in a certain location.

Ryuukan

Is anyone else in love with the fact that you are actually trying to meet win conditions instead of focusing on who gets what kill and performing useless actions just to level up?

Yaweee

Ryuukan said:
Is anyone else in love with the fact that you are actually trying to meet win conditions instead of focusing on who gets what kill and performing useless actions just to level up?

Yes. Games with a exp/action, or heavy exp/kill bonus end up becoming way too much about juggling that single mechanic. It was the FFTA's most welcome change, and I'm glad to see they implemented it for this remake.

zurra

duckroll said:
Is there any benefit to killing all the trash monsters besides loot, like additional experience?

Yaweee

zurra said:
Is there any benefit to killing all the trash monsters besides loot, like additional experience?

Nope, except for skill exp. Not entirely sure how that works. Go ahead and gun for the bosses (who all seem to be much more resilient than their lackeys)

This may be an obvious or dumb note, but I'll say it regardless:

Recruitment % seems to go WAY up the closer you are to the enemy. Probably changes with orientation too. Being 2-3 tiles away and being behind a Dragon at 11/265 HP changed my success rate from 2% to 62%.

Yaweee

Freyjadour said:
This may be an obvious or dumb note, but I'll say it regardless:

Recruitment % seems to go WAY up the closer you are to the enemy. Probably changes with orientation too. Being 2-3 tiles away and being behind a Dragon at 11/265 HP changed my success rate from 2% to 62%.

Yup, that's how it was in the original.

The other main factor is their hidden loyalty stat.

Yaweee said:
"Intro" Quiz for a few minutes
Several minute opening movie
Immediately jump in a 2~turn tutorial
Some scenes
Two short story battles where you only control the MC, with a bunch of OP NPC's giving tips and demonstrating things.
CONTROL TIME with a full team and class mechanics.

So, 20~30 minutes?

Thanks....

Ryuukan

zurra said:

If a monster drops a card, any character that picks it up gets one of their stats permanently increased.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ryuukan said:
If a monster drops a card, any character that picks it up gets one of their stats permanently increased.

I wish there was an easier to figure out what those cards did when you go to use them in battle. They have the names of the spills/actions on them sure, but half the time I have no idea what they mean haha

Yaweee

John Harker said:
I wish there was an easier to figure out what those cards did when you go to use them in battle. They have the names of the spills/actions on them sure, but half the time I have no idea what they mean haha

Select it but don't use it. The status icon should be descriptive enough.

Ramune

Does anyone have Zavvi codes usable to pre-order the European version? Seems the earlier promo posted is no longer being offered because Zavvi pulled out due to rights or something. ¬_¬

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There's class change cards in the shop?

I haven't finished the place after the Necromancer lady yet (too busy with GT5, maybe later tomorrow or Sunday I can get back to this...) but haven't seen any of the class change tarot cards there. :/

Yaweee

TheSeks said:
There's class change cards in the shop?

I haven't finished the place after the Necromancer lady yet (too busy with GT5, maybe later tomorrow or Sunday I can get back to this...) but haven't seen any of the class change tarot cards there. :/

They're in the items list at the bottom, and have their own tab if you press ->

Jinko

Basileus777 said:
Does anyone know if Strengthen works on ranged attacks like bows?

Yea STR affects Melee and ranged phyical attacks.

Dex affects Melee and Ranged Accuracy and Attack also.

Pressing select on the character screen allows you to passover different stats to tell you what they are/do.

I dont lose a heart for allies that are down if i beat the stage before countdown right?

No only if they disappear from the field will you lose a life.

Jinko said:
Yea STR affects Melee and ranged phyical attacks.

Dex affects Melee and Ranged Accuracy and Attack also.

Pressing select on the character screen allows you to passover different stats to tell you what they are/do.

I wasn't talking about the stat, but rather the skill Strengthen. It says it gives a bonus to physical attacks, which makes it sound like it doesn't work for ranged attacks. I was just curious if putting it on my Archer was a waste.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DMPrince said:
I dont lose a heart for allies that are down if i beat the stage before countdown right?

It does count how many Incapacitated units you've had throughout the course of the game, however.

zurra

Ryuukan said:
Yeah, that and occasional loot are pretty much the main reason I kill more than I have to. If the battle's going in my favor I'll kill as much as possible... but if it's going rough I might just gun for the boss. Was initially having some trouble on the
Cistina
map but the second go at it went much better, and I ended up killing everything with no problems.

This game makes me not want to sleep...

Vigilance

Basileus777 said:
I wasn't talking about the stat, but rather the skill Strengthen. It says it gives a bonus to physical attacks, which makes it sound like it doesn't work for ranged attacks. I was just curious if putting it on my Archer was a waste.

The Strengthen skill boosts both melee and ranged attack.

oracrest

I am finally getting more of a handle on this, at least the differences between this and FF Tactics.

I got my first battle in a thunderstorm today, and the lightning effects are great!

I find those battles with constant enemies that keep flooding in the best way to get cards. There is a limit though, but man the card drop rates are high.

deim0s

Screw the tarot cards, picking this one up later! What firmware does the game require? Am on 6.36, just dont' want to lose my snes capability atm.

Totakeke

Ryuukan said:

Yeah, it's kinda refreshing. Though I think the loot is important and I still go for as much kills as I can until my army gets overwhelmed or someone is dying.

Also recruiting isn't that hard. I have seen up to ~40% success rates for humans and up to 80% for beasts and dragons.

One thing I really miss from the original is that the innate elemental attributes units have, now there's less point of choosing any particular one of the six elements in the game. I'm not sure why they removed it, because class based levels should negate the tediousness of having to level several units just for different elemental bonuses.

Totakeke said:
Yeah, it's kinda refreshing. Though I think the loot is important and I still go for as much kills as I can until my army gets overwhelmed or someone is dying.

It's...ok. You'll get some early equipment and class change cards doing this, but I don't find the EXP bonus from trying to kill everything worth it. If you're grinding randoms, just find the smallest place with the least enemies that you can consistently kill for decent exp. Those 14-15+ groups just take forever. If it is a story battle (and most of them are "Kill the Leader"), just go after the Leader and end it as soon as possible. Not always feasible strategically (god damn Mage Leaders running away), but so much faster.

Not to mention that a lot of those story battles are considerably stacked against you. There's quite a few that were hectic just trying to get the Leader down. I'm not really grinding outside of catching up classes just recently though.

I do hate the late story battle. It's so damn rigged. Put your party on the bottom and make you climb up with an army of ranged fighters shooting down on you while you can't shoot up as much. Thank goodness for Canopus.

Crakatak187 said:
I do hate the late story battle. It's so damn rigged. Put your party on the bottom and make you climb up with an army of ranged fighters shooting down on you while you can't shoot up as much. Thank goodness for Canopus.

Heh, yeah. So many times I'm like "Really TO? The worst god damn location on the map and I'm crammed into it".

Top Bottom