• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

The first time through the game, enemies levels have a set a range and what level within that range they actually are is determined by the highest level unit you bring to that battle.

So a hypothetical battle could enemies from level 10 to level 14 or such, depending on your highest level unit in that battle.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Basileus777 said:
The first time through the game, enemies levels have a set a range and what level within that range they actually are is determined by the highest level unit you bring to that battle.

So a hypothetical battle could enemies from level 10 to level 14 or such, depending on your highest level unit in that battle.
Damn. I just checked and all of the enemies are level 15 (except for the boss at level 16). Most of my guys are level 12-13, with Denam at 14...presumably he's the one screwing me and setting the enemy levels higher.

I hope this doesn't mean I have to grind.

Just don't get to 31 because a lot of story battles shift the enemies level to that if you are. Once you did you'll be very unequipped and have to level above 31. Level 50 end game is another story since you'll be very equipped and everybody will be level 50 in that class and you might have to abandon your highest level class for a while.

I think the way it works, is that if you are 10 levels higher than the level enemies normally scale too, they just start scaling directly to your level. So super-overgrinding can backfire.

Shuusui

Okay, so I found the wood.... but I can barely make a dent in the dragons! Knights sucks for damage, Berserkers get owned quickly, and Wizards are vulnerable to attack.

How should I proceed?

Nif

Shuusui said:
Okay, so I found the wood.... but I can barely make a dent in the dragons! Knights sucks for damage, Berserkers get owned quickly, and Wizards are vulnerable to attack.

How should I proceed?

I went in with a bad party, but my strategy was mainly crowd control with Balmy Breeze and Charm. I kept them sleeping and took out one dragon at a time.

Shuusui said:

How should I proceed?

If you're there to level, take the bottom right path.

Mostly humans and the occasional Gryphon.

If you're there to recruit beasts, heavily armored melee units are suggested.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you're a bit underleveled, I'd suggest magic users and Knights. Knights can use Rampart Aura to block the Dragon's path, and they can heal. They're usually sturdy enough to take a few hits as well.

Having a Dragoon would obviously help a bunch. Dragonslayer ability to take off a third of their HP at least, in most cases.

Shuusui

EvilMario said:
If you're a bit underleveled, I'd suggest magic users and Knights. Knights can use Rampart Aura to block the Dragon's path, and they can heal. They're usually sturdy enough to take a few hits as well.

Having a Dragoon would obviously help a bunch. Dragonslayer ability to take off a third of their HP at least, in most cases.
Dragoon's aren't even available yet...

Chozo

So...Chaos Frames/CF.

I finally finished
the last battle to recruit Cressida
, and she blew me off because my Galgastani rep wasn't high enough. How do I raise it: get Galgastani units and level them up a bunch?

Arrrgh! This Chapter II battle is driving me insane! It's in Almoeria, I believe.
You have to kill two bosses: Xapan and some old lady.
I've tried about three strategies but that fucking bitch always retreats and/or gets healed. FUCK.
I usually kill Xapan.

This battle is very disheartening because any damage you inflict on enemy units is usually healed right after. My last strategy almost worked but I didn't have Petrification-curing items; plus, my Cleric was unable to move so I could get within range for the spell that removes petrification. Fuck that female Knight, man. Fuck. Her. The male Knight, too...goddamn rampant aura or whatever you call it. Ugh. And then the Mages pick at my poor units from afar...fuck them. Seriously.

/rant

And, man, why are there no random encounters on the map, FFS? I need 4 points to get an ability but battles never occur. I regret not learning Rampant Aura for my Knight.

Anyway, I will retry in a bit.

JKTrix

SailorDaravon said:
Praise Jesus, my Amazon pre-order of the strategy guide just shipped, after being in "Shipping Soon" for about 48 hours. No Gamestops anywhere near me had it in, was starting to worry what was going on with this, anyone who had it pre-ordered might want to check their amazon order status.

Just got an e-mail saying 'New estimated arrival date: March 07, 2011'. I only preordered these books like the Saturday before they released, so people who did it before me might get it even sooner.

I think I'm cool putting the game off until then, Radiant Historia and DQ6 are more than enough to scratch my JRPG itch for the next couple of weeks.

Balphon

Chozo said:
So...Chaos Frames/CF.

I finally finished
the last battle to recruit Cressida
, and she blew me off because my Galgastani rep wasn't high enough. How do I raise it: get Galgastani units and level them up a bunch?

Seems the only way now is to have Galgastan units under your control get knocked out by enemies. Don't knock them out with your own units, though, because that actually leads to a net loss of CF.

dragonlife29 said:
Arrrgh! This Chapter II battle is driving me insane! It's in Almoeria, I believe.
You have to kill two bosses: Xapan and some old lady.
I've tried about three strategies but that fucking bitch always retreats and/or gets healed. FUCK.
I usually kill Xapan.

The battle after that one gave me a bit of a headache; it was much harder than I remember. Be careful if you save.

One thing about Chaos frame. Does it reset if I world back to the beginning and avoid killing gangastanis other then boss and get her or it doesn't?

Crakatak187 said:
One thing about Chaos frame. Does it reset if I world back to the beginning and avoid killing gangastanis other then boss and get her or it doesn't?

I believe it resets back to what it was at when you were at that particular anchor point.

anddo0

Crakatak187 said:
Just don't get to 31 because a lot of story battles shift the enemies level to that if you are. Once you did you'll be very unequipped and have to level above 31. Level 50 end game is another story since you'll be very equipped and everybody will be level 50 in that class and you might have to abandon your highest level class for a while.

Crap. Didn't know that. I think I'm close to the end of chapter 3. My highest classes are lvl 19. Hopefully I don't reach 31 by end game.

Yuterald

I just got to Chapter 4 Chaotic and there is just so much to do that I've become completely overwhelmed! I am trying to get the three Titles tied to no falls, deaths, and chariot usages, and I really just want to finish the game to secure my Titles! All the side shit that has opened up is taunting me and I feel obligated to check it all out. I don't know what to dooooo!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
anddo0 said:
Crap. Didn't know that. I think I'm close to the end of chapter 3. My highest classes are lvl 19. Hopefully I don't reach 31 by end game.

You'll be fine as long as you don't go out of your way to grind levels. If the enemies in the story battles are below your level then the experience you receive is reduced, which pretty well caps your advancement until they catch up.

Plus if one of your classes reaches too high a level you can always just bench it for a while.

Zwei

outunderthestars said:
What a great bonus set. Was this available in the us?

Those tarot cards were available for anyone who pre-ordered in the U.S. (at Gamestop and Amazon)

That premium edition (soundtrack + artbook + nice box) is for Europe and not the U.S.

Just got to Chapter III. The last two battles of the previous chapter gave me a headache; moreso the one I mentioned earlier a couple posts up. The final one wasn't so bad.

I'm not sure what is (as in, good, bad, neutral, whatever), but in my save files the branches for the paths I've chosen all ascend. It DOES reflect my choices, right? Or is that how it just is and I'm looking too much into it?

It seems to me that going to neutral route in Chapter 3 pisses off my Arycelle. Two times now that her loyalty dropped drastically after picking.

Chaos Denam far too often sounds like a whack job in his speeches. Still glad I went this direction especally after ending chapter 2 going into chapter 3.

creid

Just opened up Hanging Gardens on the map. Most of the classes in my regular party are lv 20, and I'd like to level up to 25 or so so I can get a few more skills and cruise through the last dungeon without too much stress. Anywhere I can do this at a reasonable pace? Or will I have an easy time of it just starting at lv20?

Also, how much time should I put aside for the whole thing?

Any way to get loyalty up fast? I'm tired of randoming tarot cards because my Arycelle went from top loyalty to bottom from 1 or 2 battles.

I guess routes does affect loyalty because my Donnetello or what's his name is near the bottom and now he's top loyalty and I don't even use him.

Loyalty goes up every time you level up a rank in a skill. So level up a weapon skill, or anatomy, or whatever if you want to raise loyalty.

I just confirmed that loyalty can drop because of different routes you take. All my main party which his Law based dropped down by 1 after I went Chaos. I guess I'll train up my loyalty for
Vyce (Though not openly discontent, this unit makes no effort to keep counsel with you),Ravness (Though not openly discontent, this unit will not speak against those who are.), and of course Arycelle (This unite regards you with eyes cold and distant) and she went from this unit supports you in all things- a loyal ally to the end. My ass in two battles you hate me and almost deserted. My Denab hates me as well, but I'm not training her until I can pumpkins. She's only there for the store.

I learn my lesson. I'm never playing neutral again. I spent an hour recovering it yesterday and it bottomed out again after I did neutral on accident. I thought I was doing Chaos hahaha

daoster

so on my Healer, it doesn't seem like the Channeling ability is doing anything? I have Channeling II, and healing spells still cost the same...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Neverfade said:
Am I crazy or did this series used to be the other way around, Ogre Tactics?

Ogre Battle
Ogre Tactics (IIRC)
Tactics Ogre

Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7

If I remember right.

"Episode 5/6/7" is reference to Star War's classic trilogy (Matsuno is into Star Wars and Queen, apparently), but anyway... the titles were Ogre Battle until Tactics Ogre/7: Let Us Cling Together.

Gvaz

Banned
I would give my left nut for there to be another Ogre Battle 64 but for this new generation. Oh my god that would make me so happy.

Balphon

I'm mildly annoyed that it seems I have to choose between being able to recruit Cressida and keeping my no-KO run intact.

I hate needlessly conflicting incentives. And that's besides how tedious actually grinding CF is.

daoster said:
so on my Healer, it doesn't seem like the Channeling ability is doing anything? I have Channeling II, and healing spells still cost the same...
Spell cost are a requirement for casting, look after you cast the spell and you will notice you use less. I have channeling 3 and when I use Boon of swiftness I actually use 20 out of the 30 that is required I think.

duckroll

TheSeks said:
Ogre Battle
Ogre Tactics (IIRC)
Tactics Ogre

Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7

If I remember right.

"Episode 5/6/7" is reference to Star War's classic trilogy (Matsuno is into Star Wars and Queen, apparently), but anyway... the titles were Ogre Battle until Tactics Ogre/7: Let Us Cling Together.

That's all nonsense. The only games Matsuno made were Ogre Battle (ep5) and Tactics Ogre (ep7). The series is called Ogre Battle Saga. Matsuno has nothing to do with Ogre Battle 64 (ep6), or Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis (no episode number). There is no such thing as Ogre Tactics.

While the numbering might be somewhat inspired by Star Wars, the only similarity is that Matsuno aimed to create games which were smaller than the world they were set in, so each story feels complete, but yet part of a larger history. There was never an intention to actually "complete" the series.

Bought the game yesterday. Just defeated that necromancer Nybeth on my 2nd try, without any grinding <3 Just sent Canopus to the heigher elevation on the right side and tried to get another archer close, and prayed that the arrows would hit. My whole team besides Canopus and the guests got killed, but they didn't count down to 0 so everything is fine.

Krelian

Got this game yesterday. I must say I'm already in love. The music is simply amazing and everything's so fluid. The shop is lacking a fitting room or anything indicating if something's better than what I already have but I knew that already and it's not that annoying.

The game feels similar to FFT to me which is one of my favorite games ever.

GasProblem said:
Bought the game yesterday. Just defeated that necromancer Nybeth on my 2nd try, without any grinding <3 Just sent Canopus to the heigher elevation on the right side and tried to get another archer close, and prayed that the arrows would hit. My whole team besides Canopus and the guests got killed, but they didn't count down to 0 so everything is fine.

i got him by sending the winged guy after him. his finishing move tore him apart :)

Ricker

I got him on my first try but I was lucky hehe...I almost gave up halfway through because it was going really really bad...Nybeth blocked my first 2 hits from Canopus,then I hit him but one of the ghosts healed him,I was damn,but I managed to get Canopus to do a finishing move on him,that did 73 damage and one of my regular archer killed him...I lost 3 lives from my party though but yeah,close call.

Anno

Man, grinding up low level classes is much more fun when you round up 6 or 7 of them and just fight lower level battles.

Jerk

Banned
You know what is more satisfying than kicking Gannp's obnoxious ass? Kicking his obnoxious ass in spite of all the power-ups he got after I killed all four of his beast pals.

Top Bottom