• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

duckroll said:
No, he has specific AI routines which basically auto-leveled his weapon skill ranks for him. He's trying to do the same with Augments now. We are eagerly awaiting his detailed guide for this, with screens. :p

I know. I edited my post to be a bit clearer on what I was asking. You can level up augment element with melee or ranged attacks when you pair it with elemental weapons. It's an easier to level up these skills normally, but I would think it would be problematic in an auto-battle situation where you don't want to be using powerful weapons, which most elemental weapons are.

ferr

Whoooa, Canopus was just knocked off the edge of this map and I was all NOOOO then he flew right back up and I was all YEEEEAH.

Tenkei

Sorry if this was asked before, but if I am able to access the World system, and I trained a named character with a bunch of skills, then play a path where that character is unavailable (and thus lose the character), if I were then to replay the path where I received that character, will that character retain all of the trained skills, or will I effectively have wasted my time?

Tenkei said:
Sorry if this was asked before, but if I am able to access the World system, and I trained a named character with a bunch of skills, then play a path where that character is unavailable (and thus lose the character), if I were then to replay the path where I received that character, will that character retain all of the trained skills, or will I effectively have wasted my time?

You don't lose the character when doing a different path, so no worries.

Tenkei

Basileus777 said:
You don't lose the character when doing a different path, so no worries.
Oh, so I can play through a completely different path from chapter 2 to 4 to learn more about the story, recruit new characters, and I won't lose the characters from my initial playthrough? That's a relief. =)

chapter 4 recruitment:
let me guess, sherri has only a small timeframe for recruitment? i didn't kill her and she escaped, now i heard you can recruit her....

Augemitbutter said:
chapter 4 recruitment:
let me guess, sherri has only a small timeframe for recruitment? i didn't kill her and she escaped, now i heard you can recruit her....

I think its an alignment thing, in my chaos route it didn't show up. Wait...I think I'm on the neutral route....screw this I'm going to read the guide to see.

Urban Scholar said:
I think its an alignment thing, in my chaos route it didn't show up. Wait...I think I'm on the neutral route....screw this I'm going to read the guide to see.

It has nothing to do with alignment, it just needs to be done before Barnicia. You just need to
go to Balmamusa when it's raining. The easiest way to do it is to use a weather item in a battle right next to the city, retreat, and go there.

Basileus777 said:
It has nothing to do with alignment, it just needs to be done before Barnicia. You just need to
go to Balmamusa when it's raining. The easiest way to do it is to use a weather item in a battle right next to the city, retreat, and go there.

She can only be recruited
when she has dramatic lighting?
:p

Urban Scholar said:
Hanging gardens...made a mistake and saved by accident instead of some safe leveling. Oh boy....

Why don't you keep at least 3 save files?

Shuusui

Okay chaps, so here is the promised write up for the Automatic Skill/Loyalty/Augment Elemental Rank-Up Exploit. Not sure if it's worth updating the OP or not, but this will be very useful to most of you!

What you will need:
  1. Your hardest hitting character, but NOT equipped with ANY Field Alchemy skills. I used Ninja Denam, for high evasion and Double Attack.
  2. At least 1 Cleric. Whichever character heals the best.
  3. The Subject that you want to increase the Skill/Loyalty for equipped with the WORST weapon available but the BEST Armour and Evasion skills you have. Parry and Dodge work wonders. Also, absolutely make certain you have Counter Attack on. We'll be using Ravness, Ozma and Hobyrim today.
  4. Rhea Boum Aqueduct unlocked.
  5. 1 unlucky Golem.
  6. Optional - Another character that hits hard but heals. White Knights are perfect, if you've got them.

Weapon Skill & Loyalty Tactics:

1. First things first -- have your Ninja (and possible additional character) kill every enemy on the map, except the Golem. This is actually a lot easier than it sounds. Use high-level AoE arcana if you've got them, as this will weaken multiple enemies at once. Just don't kill the Golem! You're going to need this punching bag later on.
  2. Next, you're going to be exploiting the terrain to your advantage. The Aquaduct is perfect because it has water separating your units from the Golem. One thing worth noting is NOT to use classes or abilities that let you walk on water. This breaks the method (avoid Valkyries/Rune Fencers and
    Lord Commander
    ). Position your units so that The Subject is alone with your Golem. You'll be using your other Cleric as bait, but obviously we're not going to let them get hurt. Instead of trying to explain how, let me just show you a picture to give you an idea:

C0D5l.png

3. Here's where it gets fun. Turn all your characters AI to Melee. But wait, won't they all rush the Golem and destroy him? Not so. They will basically try rushing him, only to be stopped by the Terrain. Your Golem won't move from that spot. Thus, they block him from getting to your Cleric and he blocks your other units from hurting him. This is also why I asked you to turn off Field Alchemy. With the melee AI, your characters WILL try using item to injure the Golem (even things like Shots, which will ultimately damage your units too). What's more, the Melee command will mean that when your parties HP gets low, they will automatically heal that person.
  4. The Subject will now begin whizzing around your Golem, hitting him with all their might... for 1 HP. Because you've got the naffest weapon equipped, they're doing almost no damage to him, BUT, increasing their weapon skill each time they attack and counter attack. Pro-tip: Making The Subject a Ninja will make this go even faster. Two crappy weapons with Double Attack will make them hit the target for 2 HP, doubling the efficiency.

D3xQC.png
  5. Okay, time for some numbers. Each REGISTERED hit, without amplifiers (Sword+1, etc) will increase your Weapon skill by approx. 1.3. I've read that daggers and katana only get 0.6, but upon a single attack with a dagger, I went from 32.8 to 34.1. A difference of 1.3. Where possible, Ninja makes this quicker. You'll be getting roughly 2.6 each time, which is just under 50 attacks per Rank. 2-Handed weapons will obviously take longer. But at least you're doing it without paying attention!
  6. But what about loyalty? Well, each time you increase your rank, your Loyalty increases by 10 points. That means even if The Subject DESPISES you, by the time you're done, you'll be best friends. This is a great way of keeping units who're threatening to leave you!
  7. Oh yeah, and Parry will also level up, helping increase Loyalty and overall evasion. It's much slower to increase though -- I estimate around 0.3 each time. Might be lower than that.... but still, you'll probably get it to rise a rank during the process.

bmspr.png
  8. So, go make a cup of tea, eat a sandwich or just hang around reading NeoGAF while you're little dudes make good. Check back to heal the Golem if his health gets low and then watch as your units become GODLIKE without the tedium of doing it yourself.

The only negative aspect is that even with Melee as your AI, The Subject will not always hit the Golem. Sometimes they will just move around him without taking any kind of action. While this makes the tactic a little slower than it could be, it still beats the snot out of doing it manually. I estimate that you can increase your Skill ranking from Rank 1 to Rank 8 in 70 minutes or so. I've had it happen as quickly as 45 minutes with Ozma and double-daggers. Ravness took the longest as I wanted her to be a spear wielder (cummon, tell me she doesn't look the part in the artwork). This is an even bigger factor if you're trying to increase your Augment Element. See below for more info.

Augment Element Tactics:

1. Okay, this is ONLY for the most hardcore Ogres out there. This method is much slower and becomes increasingly more challenging as the fight goes on. I've found a couple of work-arounds using the same method as increasing weapon skill, but the positions are different.
  2. You will need the same team, only this time The Subject is a magic casting unit. Make sure your unit has NOTHING equipped. That's right. NOTHING. You want to be a prime target, whilst making sure you aren't increasing your magic damage output in any way. You can wear an accessory if you want, but be smart about your choices. Also, having Magic Accuracy and Mediate will help you enormously!
  3. Originally, I made The Subject an Enchantress using the Melee AI (trust me, Caster will not help you) and this worked SO WELL... until I got to about Rank 3. Then the damage output started to climb from 1 HP per hit to 20 HP per hit. If you see this, you're going to have a bad time.

YAsx8.png

This, obviously made it very tedious as I had to keep healing the Golem every ten turns or so. HOWEVER, this was remedied by making her a Witch instead. My Witch was only at Level 5, as opposed to my Level 18 Enchantress. If your units are over-leveled by this point, you might have a difficult time.
  4. By switching to the lower-damage magic user you will start doing 1 HP damage again. However, they will cast magic far less often. In fact, I saw that the only guaranteed time she would cast was if the Golem wasn't Ice Adversed. When he was, she would only cast 1/3 of the time. This made the process much slower, but it definitely made it more Hands-Off then when she was hitting him constantly for 20.
  5. Just to give you an idea of the numbers, I estimate that each successful spell will increase your rank 0.48~0.5. Sadly, there isn't a way to double-cast, so, as I warned you, this is a much slower method and only for those who want to take their magic users or Elemental Weapon users to the next level. I'll report the difference when I am leveled up enough to actually equip 2 Predator Daggers, which give an Ice bonus. That should clarify if it's worth doing. Regardless the length of time this takes, you will undoubtedly be grinning like a madman when you see hear this noise while you're busy doing something else:

8gxzE.png

So, hopefully this will deliver some of the hype I've been generating. I love this method so much. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this with ranged units, but I've encountered more problems than I'd hoped for. It's slow and the AI simple doesn't like the Archer attacking. If I nail it, though, I'll post a similar strategy. I did get the best Archer in the game to Rank 5... and gave up after then.

My plan is to eventually get Lord Denam dual-wielding Rank 8 Dark + 15 swords, with Rank 8 Augment Dark with 100 Base strength. Can't think of anything more badass.... (or game breaking)

Nice. Real tempting, but I'll hold out for the post-game.

So I just unlocked Pirate's Graveyard and Palace of the Dead (or should I say all the levels leading up to it). Should I play them right away or save them for Post-game/another path?

Also, is Pirate's Graveyard a single map or a dungeon?

duckroll

Mr. Wonderful said:
Nice. Real tempting, but I'll hold out for the post-game.

So I just unlocked Pirate's Graveyard and Palace of the Dead (or should I say all the levels leading up to it). Should I play them right away or save them for Post-game/another path?

Also, is Pirate's Graveyard a single map or a dungeon?

It's a dungeon.

duckroll

Mr. Wonderful said:
Clearable, or like the Wildwoods where it's forever Red?

All bonus dungeons are like the Wildwoods, they will always be red so you can redo them as much as you want because of the loot available. But unlike the Wildwoods, this one has story events related to it. Depending on when you tackle it storywise, there are cutscenes and conclusions.

ferr

Still can't seem to get the
Port Omish battle between conquering Barnicia and Heim to trigger for recruiting Azelstan.. I anchored back to before Barnicia because I did miss the event in Quadriga Fortress (where Denem finds flowers on the pier). Anchoring back to pre-Heim and Port Omish won't trigger. What comes after Flowers of Remembrance on the World Tarot?

Kuran

Banned
We need a seperate thread that is just a conversation about how awesome and perfect this game is.

The graphics are gorgeous (when zoomed out, although a bit too small to be comfortable for long takes), and they really nailed the interface and presentation. It has been honed to perfection.

It just feels like there is so much to do, learn.. and it's a fun ride. This is my GOTY so far!

PS. Could someone please indulge on how the multiplayer sessions work?

Yaweee

Kuran said:
We need a seperate thread that is just a conversation about how awesome and perfect this game is.

The graphics are gorgeous (when zoomed out, although a bit too small to be comfortable for long takes), and they really nailed the interface and presentation. It has been honed to perfection.

It just feels like there is so much to do, learn.. and it's a fun ride. This is my GOTY so far!

PS. Could someone please indulge on how the multiplayer sessions work?

It isn't perfect, though. The crafting system is awful, the character limit is too small and works against the number of classes and races to recruit, and I think a lot of the side-content is a mess as to when it is and isn't available.

Also, the "multiplayer" label is a bit of a sham. It shares data, and makes the enemy controlled by the inefficient AI.

Kuran

Banned
Yaweee said:
It isn't perfect, though. The crafting system is awful, the character limit is too small and works against the number of classes and races to recruit, and I think a lot of the side-content is a mess as to when it is and isn't available.

Also, the "multiplayer" label is a bit of a sham. It shares data, and makes the enemy controlled by the inefficient AI.

Ah, shame.. I've only just started playing the game. (Beginning of Chapter 2) That's probably why I'm still in love with it like that.. : )

PS. I hope everyone who is enthousiastic about this game in this thread gives Wild Arms XF a chance on PSP, it's an incredible game in the same genre.

PPS. Kinda wish Vandal Hearts was on PSN now.. that's such an awesome game.

Shuusui

Snakeyes said:
Nice strategy Shuusui.

It's even better if you use the Valkyrie/Rune Fencer's Barricade ability to restrict movement.
So long as you don't use the class. They'll jump in the water and get destroyed. The whole thing falls apart with Wade abilities (trust me, I tried).

Snakeyes

Shuusui said:
So long as you don't use the class. They'll jump in the water and get destroyed. The whole thing falls apart with Wade abilities (trust me, I tried).

Don't worry, I'll post a screenshot once I'm done with this session.

I can't do the augment grinding, but it gave me an idea on how to grind.

For weapon grinding I do it manually since I do it in 5 man batches. Getting hit by the weapon you are learning also increases the bar so I gang up on the one person that I'm trying to max to finish it faster.

i have two options left in ch4:
go to palace of the dead past level 3 or straight to the hanging gardens.

any advice?

edit: nm, i just decided to wrap it up.

Never thought of using that much barricade. That plan would work well with Augment weapon bashing then.

I'll use your idea and make a plus formation around a golem with magic users with the augment weapon they are training. Barricade the rest of the square and outside of it. Barricade the healers with Lobbers (I won't hold those damaging items) and let them duke it out. Of course I'll do it in 4 man batches.

I'll give it a shot after I finish my deflect training.

Snakeyes

Crakatak187 said:
It's a drop from certain bosses.

Sounds pretty rare to me. I'll experiment with the AI a bit more.

Anyone have a quick way to raise (lower?) Galgastan Chaos Frame? I'd like to recruit
Cressida

Yeah I wasted most of mines already. I'll try to remember what bosses drop it next time I get one. I only have 2 left.

The way I raised mines wasn't fast. I did Phorampa woods the second stage with the dragons. I set all Galgastani recruits of my group, but one to A.I and set them to melee. When All of the Galgastani dropped I retreated.

It took me about 3-4 hours to get enough CF.

Yaweee

Crakatak187 said:
Yeah I wasted most of mines already. I'll try to remember what bosses drop it next time I get one. I only have 2 left.

The way I raised mines wasn't fast. I did Phorampa woods the second stage with the dragons. I set all Galgastani recruits of my group, but one to A.I and set them to melee. When All of the Galgastani dropped I retreated.

I'm going to try CF farming with a group of Galgastani Undead Terror Knights, all as high as Rampart as possible. It should go pretty quick (just have one packup guy in the corner to Retreat with if it goes South.

I got a question if you have meditate equipped and did the auto battle will your magic users automatically use Meditate all the time or stop at maxed Mp? I need to find a way to train meditate.

Snakeyes

Crakatak187 said:

Does it matter if the get killed by Galgastan units?

I don't know that's why I took the safe route since monsters have no clan. There are people from gamefaqs that says it doesn't matter. They packed a group of 11 Galgastanis and went on a map that can fill 12 people.

Top Bottom