• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TAKEDOWN: Red Sabre |OT| A Taste of Rainbow Six for Only the Price of a Vegas Buffet

OP.jpg

TAKEDOWN is a thinking-person’s shooter. The player that takes things slow, aims carefully, and plans their moves right will overcome the player who runs in with guns blazing. Close-quarters battle brings the fight inside, as you would see SWAT teams or SOF units taking down small numbers of dangerous adversaries. Non-linear environments allow for multiple routes and tactics and add replayability.

In recent years, shooters have become homogenized. There used to be a wide range of different games to choose, from run-and-gun action titles to slow-paced tactical shooters focusing on strategy and tactics, but now most shooters follow the same model of big set pieces, regenerating health, linear levels, and “cinematic experiences.” The realistic tactical shooters with in-depth planning have almost entirely disappeared in recent years.

This game focuses on realistic weapons modeling, squad based play, in a close-quarters battle setting. To succeed in this game you need to take things slow, study your environment, and execute flawlessly. If you get shot, there are consequences. You won’t be hiding behind a wall waiting for your health to regenerate. If a team member goes down, you will have to assess the situation and reallocate team members if necessary to complete the mission. Don’t expect all of the tools and plans to be forced fed to you – it is up to the player to ensure their team is equipped and ready for the tasks at hand. With features such as realistic bullet penetration, accuracy, and recoil, choosing the proper weapons, ammunition, armor, and gear for the mission is up to you, so choose carefully.

Gameplay modes include single player, co-op, and competitive multiplayer. If you are a fan of old school shooters where thinking meant more than running and gunning or perks, or if you are just looking for something different in your shooter games experience, this is the game for you.
gameinfo.gif

Code:
[U][B]DEVELOPER[/B][/U]    -  Serellan LLC
[B][U]PUBLISHER[/U][/B]    -  505 Games
[B][U]PLATFORMS[/U][/B]    -  PC (Steam Only) & Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Arcade)
[B][U]PRICE[/U][/B]        -  $14.99 (Steam 4 Pack Avail for $44.99)
[B][U]RELEASE DATE[/U][/B] -  Friday, September 20th, 2013 - PC.  TBD for Xbox 360
[B][U]PLAYERS[/U][/B]      -  Offline 1 (No Split-Screen) Online 2-12 (6 Co-op, 6 v 6 Adversarial)
[B][U]GENRE[/U][/B]        -  Tactical Military FPS
[B][U]RATING[/U][/B]       -  ESRB:M
[B][U]LANGUAGES[/U][/B]    -  Full audio support for English, French, Italian, German, Spanish
MINIMUM SPECS
  • PROCESSOR: 2GHz or better CPU
  • MEMORY: 2 GB RAM
  • GRAPHICS: A graphics card with Shader Model 3.0 support
  • DIRECTX: Version 9.0
  • NETWORK: Broadband Internet connection
  • HARD DRIVE: 3 GB available space
RECOMMENDED SPECS
  • PROCESSOR: Intel Core2Extreme Quad Core Processor - Q6800 - 2.93 GHz
  • MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
  • GRAPHICS: nVidia GeForce 8800 (768 MB GDDR3)
  • DIRECTX: Version 9.0
  • NETWORK: Broadband Internet connection
  • HARD DRIVE: 3 GB available space
PRE-ORDER BONUS
Pre-Order on Steam to receive an additional Killhouse Tango Hunt Co-op mode map at launch
preorder.jpg

features.gif

LETHAL GAMEPLAY
  • No regenerating health, no health packs and no respawns in any game mode.
  • One well placed shot is enough to kill
  • Enemy A.I. are deadly, capable of coordinating attacks in groups and using flanking maneuvers
  • Repercussions for getting shot in the arm are that your weapon accuracy will be negatively impacted. The penalty for a leg wound is that you will no longer be able to sprint.
NON-LINEAR ENVIRONMENTS
  • Maps are huge, open and very non-linear with multiple routes to any location.
  • Choose from multiple insertion points at the beginning of each SP/Co-op game mode allowing for different tactical approaches.
  • In Co-op, you have the option to split your team into 2 squads and have each squad start at a different insertion point which provides an added amount of depth to planning and executing a mission.
  • Freedom to complete objectives in the "Mission" game mode in any order.
REALISTIC WEAPON HANDLING
  • Each weapon has realistic recoil and scope sway.
  • Weapon reloads are handled realistically using your available magazines rather than a "pool" of your available individual bullets left.
  • Close quarters weapon collision has been implemented. As you approach a wall your weapon will be forced down appropriately depending on it's length and your distance to the wall. This gives the advantage to smaller weapons like SMGs and Pistols in tight spaces compared to Sniper Rifles or larger Assault Rifles.
  • Lean/Peek controls are available so you can peek around corners
  • No 3rd person perspective "sticky" cover system
  • No auto-aim
  • Available weapons include 16 Primary (4 SMGs, 2 PDWs, 7 ARs, 2 Sniper Rifles, & 1 Shotgun), 4 Secondary (Pistols), 2 Grenade Types (Frag & Flash) and Breaching Charges for doors.
RANDOMIZATION / REPLAYABILITY
  • In SP/Co-op, each enemy's starting position, type of body armor and weapon is randomized at the beginning of the match.
  • All enemies are present at the beginning of each match and do not appear out of thin air from triggered events or monster closets.
  • In the SP/Co-op "Mission" game mode, most of the objectives are found in one of several random locations each time you play the game.
  • In the SP/Co-op "Bomb Disarm" game mode, the placement of the bomb(s) that your team needs to locate and disarm is randomized to one of several locations each time you play.
BULLET PENETRATION SYSTEM
  • Each surface has a penetration value that takes into account it's material type and thickness allowing you to shoot through certain surfaces like thin walls, doors, and corners depending on which ammo type is used.
  • The bullet penetration system also applies realistically to body armor where certain low caliber ammo types are less effective against medium or heavy protection.
  • Each weapon has several ammo types available to choose from. Some examples of these include: Full Metal Jacket, Jacketed Hollow Point, Armor Piercing and Subsonic Rounds .
MINIMAL HUD
  • The HUD takes up a small amount of real estate on the screen and only includes a small icon that displays both your body's health state and whether you are standing/crouching, your ammo counter and the time remaining in the match.
  • No "hit markers" or "kill notifications" are displayed
  • No center dot/reticule, ensuring "hip-fire" cannot be extremely accurate at long distances
  • The HUD does not display any objective markers at all, you will need to find them yourself
  • No radar or mini-map
NO GRINDING FOR UNLOCKS NECESSARY
  • All weapons and attachments are unlocked and available for use in all game modes from the start.
  • The game does not include unlockable weapons, attachments or upgrades of any kind to ensure a level playing field in Adversarial game modes.
  • Adversarial game modes do not include any kind of artificial systems such as killstreaks, perks or field upgrades
MOD SUPPORT (STEAM ONLY)
  • Steam version will have an additional download that includes the KIllhouse Level & Modder's Pack tools
  • All Killhouse Map objects are modular allowing you to snap them together to create you own custom Adversarial maps
  • TAKEDOWN uses Unreal Engine 3 and UDK (Unreal Development Kit) is also supported
  • Additional Mod tools & support will be available post-release (Steam Workshop support TBD)
gamemodes.gif

SINGLEPLAYER / CO-OP

GENERAL INFO

• Singleplayer can be played with up to 3 friendly A.I. squadmates. If you die, the game will allow you to use one of the living A.I. players.
  • Singleplayer teammate A.I. can be given commands to "Hold or "Fall In/Regroup"
  • In Singleplayer you can toggle Rules of Engagement to either "Aggressive" (A.I. will fire whenever they see an enemy) or "Defensive" (A.I. will only fire if enemy fires at them or the squad)
  • Co-op can be played with up to 6 players. If you play with less than 6 players you cannot substitute A.I, squadmates in their place in any game modes.
  • 5 huge "Core" Maps
  • Server browser available on PC version
  • Matchmaking available on Xbox 360 version
GAME MODES

1. MISSION
  • Complete scenario-based missions that include multiple primary and secondary objectives
  • To complete a mission you will also need to exfil to a designated extraction point once all primary objectives are completed
2. TANGO HUNT
  • Kill all A.I. enemies
  • Enemy placements and their weapons and body armor are highly randomized
  • Adjustable enemy density/count
3. BOMB DISARM
  • Locate and disarm the bomb(s) which is in one of several randomized locations everytime you play
  • Enemy placements and their weapons and body armor are highly randomized
  • Adjustable enemy density/count
  • Adjustable number of bombs that you need to disarm
ADVERSARIAL
GENERAL INFO

• Adversarial game modes are playable in up to 6 v 6
  • The 5 large "Core" Maps and the Killhouse are playable and each includes at least 3 smaller variants = approx. 18 adversarial levels available at launch.
  • Initial spawn locations are randomized
  • No respawns in any game mode
  • Teams are Red Sabre (Black Camo) vs Tangos (Urban Camo)
  • Spectator Mode available on PC. 4 extra players in additional to the 6v6 can spectate a match.
  • Server browser available on PC version
  • Matchmaking available on Xbox 360 version
GAME MODES

1. ATTACK & DEFEND
  • Attacking team must find and defuse a bomb that is located in a neutral position and can only win the round by defusing the bomb.
  • Defending team must preventing the attackers from disarming the bomb and can win by either killing all of the attackers or preventing them from defusing the bomb by the end of the round's time.
  • Host can choose from various placements for the bomb before each set of rounds
  • Default round length is 5 minutes which forces the Attackers into action (customizable)
  • Default win condition is first team to 6 wins (customizable)
2. TEAM DEATHMATCH
  • Kill all members of the opposing team
  • No respawns
3. SOLO LAST MAN STANDING
  • No teams, free-for-all
  • Kill all enemies, last person alive wins
screens.gif

videos.gif

OFFICIAL / KICKSTARTER VIDEOS
Kickstarter Pitch Video
Kickstarter Exclusive 1st Gameplay Footage - E3 2013
Pre-Alpha BioLab Briefing Video
Steam Official Pre-Order Trailer
Launch Trailer

GAMEPLAY VIDEOS
Biolab Developer Co-op Playthrough
Eurogamer - Let's Play Video
TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit Thoughts on TAKEDOWN
Kotaku - Watch Us Play Video
IGN - Developer Commentary
GameTrailers - Facility Map First Look
RedditGames Developer Commentary - E3 2013
Coin-Op.TV - Gameplay Footage - E3 2013

GAME FEATURE DEMOS
Bullet Penetration System
Weapon Loadouts & Handling
Move, Shoot, Frag & Breach

INTERVIEWS
Co-Optimus Interview - E3 2013
IndiePewPew Interview - QuakeCon 2013
DanHibikiFan Interview - Community Event August 2013
EP Daily.TV - What Makes TAKEDOWN Different?

MAP FLYTHROUGHS
Radar Station
KIllhouse Bases
review.gif

Metacritic Page PC - Metascore = 32 / 100
Metacritic Page 360 - Metascore = TBD
  • N/A
links.gif

Official Site
Kickstarter Page
Official Forums
Steam Page
Xbox.com Page
Facebook Page

dzelly

Nice OT, I look after Kickstarter quite a bit and didn't know about this. Sounds pretty sweet. My Vegas buffet was $24.99 two weeks ago, so thread title is legit lol.

Socky

I backed this, although as a generally co-op player with no mates owning PCs that maybe wasn't the best choice! As a big fan of Vegas and GRAW I just wanted to support what seemed to be a dying genre (don't hurt me OG Rainbow Six fans). My Gold account has lapsed too so no 360 for me. I'm hoping Serellan see their way to a PS3 or PS4 version.

MP map as a pre-order bonus? Come on, son...

It's just 1 map for only the Tango Hunt Co-op mode built from pieces of the Killhouse training level and will be available for everyone later. It's not a big deal.

I would guess that 505 Games just wanted something to help promote pre-orders on Steam.

WHAT????

seriously WHAT

Last time I saw a video about this game it looked like it needed 2 more years to have a good game.

Its coming out WOW had no idea ...... :O

I backed this, although as a generally co-op player with no mates owning PCs that maybe wasn't the best choice! As a big fan of Vegas and GRAW I just wanted to support what seemed to be a dying genre (don't hurt me OG Rainbow Six fans). My Gold account has lapsed too so no 360 for me. I'm hoping Serellan see their way to a PS3 or PS4 version.

Unfortunately it seems like PS3 or any other platform for that matter is a real longshot at this point unless this game does gangbusters with the early sales. Serellan is hesitant to commit to anything besides basic support / patching (if necessary) post-launch.

I'm sure there will be a few other gaffers that will need extra buddies for co-op, especially since you can play with up to 6 people, and if not GAF, check out the game's Official Forums, they have a thread over there with a bunch of Steam Names

Socky

Unfortunately it seems like PS3 or any other platform for that matter is a real longshot at this point unless this game does gangbusters with the early sales. Serellan is hesitant to commit to anything besides basic support / patching (if necessary) post-launch.

Every other indie dev is throwing their PC games onto PS4 right now, I don't see what Serellan have to lose there, but it's their party.

I'm sure there will be a few other gaffers that will need extra buddies for co-op, especially since you can play with up to 6 people, and if not GAF, check out the game's Official Forums, they have a thread over there with a bunch of Steam Names

Cheers for the heads up, I might do that.

Every other indie dev is throwing their PC games onto PS4 right now, I don't see what Serellan have to lose there, but it's their party.

From what they have said it's a combination of the timing of the Kickstarter (well before much was known about next gen) and a real lack of funding.

Keep in mind this is Serellan's 1st game which barely got funded as $200,000 Kickstarter. If you read the Kickstarter carefully it says the project was primarily to get the game to alpha to get more funding or a publisher. The creative developer said a few months ago he had assurances from some private funding once they hit Alpha that bailed on him and 505 Games stepped in as the publisher pretty late in development to help out.

I think this game was a lot closer to not seeing the light of day than anyone outside the project realizes.

Hooray, I can't wait. I Kickstarted the game so I'll be getting the PC version but if it's as good as I expect it to be, I'll double dip so I can also play with my buddy on Xbox.

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hal le lu jah

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ready for this one. Watching video was really solid and then I watched TotalBiscuits video and he viewed it like I did. An ode to when I was playing PC games like Delta Force, Rainbow Six, and Ghost Recon in the 90's.

Sajjaja

Am excite. Had lots of fun with rogue spear. Will probably pick it up if I can get people to play it with. Also, didn't Microsoft say that XBLA titles won't have demos anymore? Or would that be for XOne only?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My God, just read about the mod support. This will be amazing as long as the community supports it with maps. I played tons of Raven Shield with custom sniper maps and the works.

demolitio

This came out of nowhere for me so thank you for this thread and making sure I didn't miss out on a good game. So tired of modern shooters and I would do anything for the SWAT series to return.

demolitio

Alright, so I sold all my TF2 gear and had enough to get this so anyone who wants to do coop or needs a reliable battle buddy in MP, add me on Steam: demolitio2

For just seeing this thread today and realizing it's coming out Friday, I have quite the hype already which shows just how desperate fans of this genre are when you immediately rally behind a game that brings back skill and thinking to shooters even though you just found out about it and don't know that much besides this OP and that TB video. It's also sad that it's been relatively unnoticed just because it's not the typical modern-day FPS that requires very little skill outside of reflexes and no thinking at all while rewarding selfish behavior.

I'm actually telling people that I used to play SWAT 4 and the old R6 games with all about this game right now seeing if they're still craving this sort of game like I am. Most of them have "evolved" into the mainstream FPS crowd and don't even care about this sort of game anymore.

I support any game that makes teamwork and communication priority. It's why SOCOM became my favorite series of all time and why I will always miss Zipper regardless of the SOCOM 4 debacle...Simply because they made teamwork and using VOIP the most important factor in winning a game and practically invented clan wars on consoles and created clan features that you still don't see a lot of today.

Alright, so I sold all my TF2 gear and had enough to get this so anyone who wants to do coop or needs a reliable battle buddy in MP, add me on Steam: demolitio2

For just seeing this thread today and realizing it's coming out Friday, I have quite the hype already which shows just how desperate fans of this genre are when you immediately rally behind a game that brings back skill and thinking to shooters even though you just found out about it and don't know that much besides this OP and that TB video. It's also sad that it's been relatively unnoticed just because it's not the typical modern-day FPS that requires very little skill outside of reflexes and no thinking at all while rewarding selfish behavior.

I'm actually telling people that I used to play SWAT 4 and the old R6 games with all about this game right now seeing if they're still craving this sort of game like I am. Most of them have "evolved" into the mainstream FPS crowd and don't even care about this sort of game anymore.

I support any game that makes teamwork and communication priority. It's why SOCOM became my favorite series of all time and why I will always miss Zipper regardless of the SOCOM 4 debacle...Simply because they made teamwork and using VOIP the most important factor in winning a game and practically invented clan wars on consoles and created clan features that you still don't see a lot of today.

I've followed the game's development really closely so if you or anyone else have any questions about the game, shoot and I should be able get you an answer

demolitio

I've followed the game's development really closely so if you or anyone else have any questions about the game, shoot and I should be able get you an answer

Thanks, I appreciate it. Have you heard about any plans for post-launch support such as more unique maps and if they'll charge for them? That would suck because I have nothing left on Steam and all money is going into medical bills, lol.

Have you heard of any mod ideas, etc. on their forums? I would love for a game like this to be a platform for some good mods and custom levels since it's one of the few games to feature good hardcore gameplay.

I'm sure more will come up eventually. Either way, I hope we can get some games going when it launches. :D

Everdred

Been watching this from the Kick Starter. Already pre-ordered. Wasn't expecting to see an OT before launch. I really hope this game is good. It looks like they basically just remade Rainbow Six 3 and that's OK with me.

will wait for initial impressions and then buy on Steam.

the game was in a very rough shape during GamesCom when i played it, hopefully most of it is fixed by now.

AHA-Lambda

Very intrigued by this, thought of backing the kick starter at the time but didn't.

I take it from the OP this game doesn't have any sort of traditional campaign?

Thanks, I appreciate it. Have you heard about any plans for post-launch support such as more unique maps and if they'll charge for them? That would suck because I have nothing left on Steam and all money is going into medical bills, lol.

the official word is that Serellan cannot commit to any post launch content. They are on a wait and see approach with regards to the early sales of the game. It sounds like they have nothing left in the budget and its up to 505 Games to fund anything further.

Have you heard of any mod ideas, etc. on their forums? I would love for a game like this to be a platform for some good mods and custom levels since it's one of the few games to feature good hardcore gameplay.

I'm sure more will come up eventually. Either way, I hope we can get some games going when it launches. :D

The community are already working on additional weapons andl levels (both co-op and adversarial) in UDK. The forums have been pushing for many things like wet/dry reloads, more door opening options, non lethal weapons, bullet ricochet, and additional commands for the single player A.I.

Very intrigued by this, thought of backing the kick starter at the time but didn't.

I take it from the OP this game doesn't have any sort of traditional campaign?

No, there are 6 missions loosely tie together, but no over-arching narrative. You are the Red Sabre International PMC and are tasked with completing missions such assassinating scientists and planting evidence on them, disarming multiple bombs, destroying several hard drives, hacking a company's central servers, securing a nuclear weapons facility that has been occupied by terrorists, etc. Each mission is accompanied by a full briefing where you are provided limited intel and an overview of the map.

mclem

You are the Red Sabre International PMC and are tasked with completing missions such assassinating scientists and planting evidence on them,

Wouldn't all the dead bodies suggest that *maybe* the evidence in question shouldn't be taken at face value?

Do you know if enemies be randomly generated? Or same spots? Like R6Vegas terrorist hunt

enemies are randomly generated in all single player and co-op modes.

Each map has 60 to 100+ enemy starting locations and there are several different patrol patterns as well. The starting positions are spaced evenly throughout the map so you dont run into 40 guys in the same room. Each enemy spawns with a random body armor (light,medium or heavy) and random weapon.

The great news is thst unlike Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 Terrorist Hunt modes, enemies DO NOT spawn out of thin air behind you. They are all present at the beginning of the match.

edit: barely beaten :)

WHAT IN THE WORLD? HOW IS IT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS GAME? RAINBOW SIX: ROGUE SPEAR IN THE MODERN AGE? NO GIMMICKS, NO TROPES, NO BULLSHIT?

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS, ARE YOU REALLY FUCKING SERIOUS?

THANK YOU

THANK YOU SO MUCH THE GAMING GODS FINALLY ANSWERED MY PRAYERS!!!

WHAT IN THE WORLD? HOW IS IT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS GAME? RAINBOW SIX: ROGUE SPEAR IN THE MODERN AGE? NO GIMMICKS, NO TROPES, NO BULLSHIT?

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS, ARE YOU REALLY FUCKING SERIOUS?

THANK YOU

THANK YOU SO MUCH THE GAMING GODS FINALLY ANSWERED MY PRAYERS!!!
Yeah I just don't know how realistic it is not to have to unlock stuff. After all in the army they don't give you a red dot scope for your rifle until you've gotten like, at least, 10 head shots in actual combat.

Yeah I just don't know how realistic it is not to have to unlock stuff. After all in the army they don't give you a red dot scope for your rifle until you've gotten like, at least, 10 head shots in actual combat.

It's a stupid progression mechanic that destroys any semblance of a "balance" in a game. It's why we got online experiences hampered down with the likes of "matchmaking" and then realize that not all players are evenly balanced proceeds to take 2 or more high-ranking guys only for them to pull out simply because the lower player ranks are simply not good enough for them to play with.

Well fuck them and fuck all those who continue this bullshit tirade. Bring back Lobby Servers the way multiplayer is supposed to be. If there is a spot that is empty I should be able to join it without any hassle whatsoever.

Winkle

Oh no, I may now have to rebuy an xbox to play this, I've waited so long for a game to release like this and now I only have a PS3. I take it its also releasing this friday on Xbox live?

Top Bottom